Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Woj: There is no market for DeMarcus Cousins in free agency

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Another bad Dell Demps move that did not work out... Luckily
    It's only a bad Demps move in hindsight. Kinda like that contract Durant just got will be called bad if he can't come back as before...in hindsight.

But at that time, that was a reasonable, short term offer.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Don’t the Rockets have to trade him or something like that?
    They already traded him to Chicago in January. They immediately waived him and he's been sat as a free agent since.
    Basketball.

Boogie will end up on the Lakers for a minimum contract

I'm calling it now.

Lakers starting lineup next year

Rondo
    KCP
    Lebum
    Ad
    Cousins

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I'm calling it now.

Lakers starting lineup next year

Rondo
    KCP
    Lebum
    Ad
    Cousins
    2019-20 Lakers vs 2017-18 Pels
    Rondo = Rondo
    KCP < Jrue
    Lebron >> Moore
    AD = AD
    Cousins < (pre-injury) Cousins

How is this team a title contender?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    2019-20 Lakers vs 2017-18 Pels
    Rondo = Rondo
    KCP < Jrue
    Lebron >> Moore
    AD = AD
    Cousins < (pre-injury) Cousins

How is this team a title contender?
    It is not.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    If they don't get Leonard, they'll bid against themselves and overpay. He'll get the contract Dell offered him. 2yrs 40mil. Yuck

Basketball Guru
    a team will sign boogie because he is a big that can bang with physical bigs......we know the lakers may sign boogie or magee to take the pressure off of AD so he wont have to get beat up in the paint........dallas may sign him also so the unicorn wont have to get punish in the paint....

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    it's ok to complain about Dell but everybody applauded that trade. I am sure you did too. Sure looking at it from perspective I would prefer to have Jamal Murray on our team but then probably we wouldnt have Zion ..
    Yep. There were tons of posters here who applauded Dell up and down for that trade. I was never a huge fan of it, mainly because I liked Heild and it was yet another first round pick thrown out be Dell. Give me Heild and Donovan Mitchell (who was still available at #10 when the Kings were in the clock with the traded pick) over Cousins all day. That trade had huge risk tied to it the moment it was official, and it backfired on Dell, which was to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post
    Agree to disagree. They played together for basically a year, and the team was right around .500. That's not what you'd expect from arguably two top 10 players and Jrue Holiday. Cousins was the furthest thing you could find to jive with Gentry ball (and no, I'm not a Gentry supporter). They did make the Pelicans relevant considering the pub NO received post trade, I'll agree there. But as far as them making the team into a playoff team? I never saw it, pre injury.
    The pair never had a full season together so no judgment can truly be made. Gentry’s system was not a good fit for Boogie, I agree. That is not Boogie’s fault. To say that the trade for Boogie was expected to backfire is still completely bogus.

I am not a Boogie super fan or anything. He generally seems pretty immature and petty. But, prior to his injury, Boogie was still a great NBA player.

Basketball Guru
    i think its safe to say that all of us on this site believed that if we had a healthy boogie against the warriors in the second round of the playoffs that year,,we may have taken them out.......the warriors had no match up for AD and boogie.....

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post
    Yep. There were tons of posters here who applauded Dell up and down for that trade. I was never a huge fan of it, mainly because I liked Heild and it was yet another first round pick thrown out be Dell. Give me Heild and Donovan Mitchell (who was still available at #10 when the Kings were in the clock with the traded pick) over Cousins all day. That trade had huge risk tied to it the moment it was official, and it backfired on Dell, which was to be expected.
    Sure in hindsight anyone would rather have Heild and Donovan Mitchell. That said, at the time of the trade, Boogie was the best center in the game, no free agents were coming to NO, Heild was a 22 year old rookie, and NO ONE expected Mitchell to be as great as he is, and of course the Pels probably wouldn't have picked Mitchell anyway.

Its fun to live in a i would have rathered world, but there is little question the Boogie trade was the right move, it didn't work out, that sucks, but getting a 2nd top 20 NBA player in New Orleans was a chance that had to be taken.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Nikola Mirotic went to play in the Euroleague and turned down a chance at 45-50 million in the NBA? Anyone knows why?
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sting View Post
    Nikola Mirotic went to play in the Euroleague and turned down a chance at 45-50 million in the NBA? Anyone knows why?
    He'd rather be in Europe.

Basketball Guru
    im guessing part of the reason is he's making more than the 50mil he would have made here....being close to his family is another guess...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    He'd get paid more in Europe and he gets to go home. Best situation for him and his family.

Barcelona( The Golden State Warriors of Spain) offered 79 million in American dollars.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...ver_six_years/
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 07-02-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    He'd rather be in Europe.
    Basically. If someone offered me that much money to go live in Barcelona for a few years, I think I could be persuaded to choose that over, say, Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Barcelona( The Golden State Warriors of Spain) offered 79 million in American dollars.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...ver_six_years/
    Had no idea the Euroleague paid that much. Wow.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    i remember when he was with the Kings, and if he had got along with everyone there, he could have gotten 200 million dollars.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    i remember when he was with the Kings, and if he had got along with everyone there, he could have gotten 200 million dollars.
    or maybe 150 million, I am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    It's only a bad Demps move in hindsight. Kinda like that contract Durant just got will be called bad if he can't come back as before...in hindsight.

But at that time, that was a reasonable, short term offer.
    Yep. Just like our team was on absolute fire before he was injured. We were even owning the league leading Rockets in the game he went down. History has a funny way of getting changed for how concrete it should be.

Show me a poster claiming they hated the Boogie trade, at the time, and I'll show you a liar.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Yep. Just like our team was on absolute fire before he was injured. We were even owning the league leading Rockets in the game he went down. History has a funny way of getting changed for how concrete it should be.

Show me a poster claiming they hated the Boogie trade, at the time, and I'll show you a liar.
    I seem to remember there was at least one or two people on the board who didn't like it at the time. Can't remember who though.

They definitely weren't me. At the time, I had a few worries about specifics (fit, particularly, and pace) but I was still happy about it. Dell had to make that move. We're a team that's historically had trouble getting stars, and he made a move that gave up Hield (who wasn't doing that well for us at the time) and very little else to get a superstar. That was the right thing to do, and almost all of us thought so at the time.

Well... it seems that I cannot quote anybody so I will just reply regarding Mirotic.

Barcelona are not the Warriors of Spain. In fact, they are closer to the current Lakers. They are living their worst period in more than 30 years and they are desperate to come back and make some noise. For that reason, they are offering Mirotic a salary more than double of any player in Europe.

However, that's not so much in comparison with what he could have gotten in the US if you take taxes into account. In Spain, "federal taxes" will be 45% for him (and will jump soon to 48%). And you must add an additional 4% of "state taxes".

And finally, Mirotic is a former Real Madrid player. He played there since he was 14 until he departed to the NBA. Barcelona are the hatred arch-rivals of Real Madrid so he wouldn't sign there easily. It was even reported that he offered himself to Real Madrid before Barcelona jumped with that offer. It must have been a really difficult decision for him.

Thread Information