Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arena Roof

Arena Roof

They are really trying to slap lipstick on a pig, but what's going on with the roof? Any sleuths know?

Seems to be some other stuff going on besides the change in color. Maybe adding LED lights?

I work there and i have no idea

Kushner said a week or two back that they were painting the roof. I'm not sure if that was part of larger scale improvements they were making to it or not.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    It improves the value of naming rights for the arena.

Did they clean Dome roof yet?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Did they clean Dome roof yet?
    still in litigation im sure.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Can you provide a picture for those who don't live in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Hate to send you to this cesspool but its the best I got. I only drive by the thing.

Definitely looks like more activity going on than just paint.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/...roof/84199598/

When does the Smoothie King naming rights end? One thing for sure and not talked about much but with added interest so comes added corporate dollars. Wouldnt be surprised to see a package deal with the Dome. Ya gotta think MB doesnt want two stadiums named or maybe they do.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I should've taken one because it looked like no one was wearing a harness and it must have 300 degrees up there.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Hate to send you to this cesspool but its the best I got. I only drive by the thing.

Definitely looks like more activity going on than just paint.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/...roof/84199598/
    looks like the interior is going red seats from the blue.

Well at least the exterior no longer looks likes an elementary school restroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    looks like the interior is going red seats from the blue.
    That's an old picture and those are red t shirts. Can tell it's old because it still has the old cylinder video board up.

And they've began to cover the red with some other material now. No idea what they're doing.
    Last edited by luckyman; 07-03-2019 at 06:31 AM.

That's an old picture and those are red t shirts. Can tell it's old because it still has the old cylinder video board up.

And they've began to cover the red with some other material now. No idea what they're doing.
    hopefully they install some nice seats that recline ....yea yea that. j/k

I think the Dome is getting most of renovations . $400 million starting in January.

So an update...roof is back to it's old look. Was probably just some work to prevent leaks like in 2018.

I personally think they need to demolish the whole thing. Turn the space into a bigger Champions Square or just an area for tail gating.

Build a new arena right across the river in Algeirs. The current arena was built for a paltry $180 million (in today's dollars), and that's obvious. Youd think the arena would turn out top notch since much of the cost to build a new arena was not needed since the arena used already existing parking and air conditioning from the dome . Meanwhile you've got billion dollar arenas planned or going up on the west coast.
    Last edited by luckyman; 07-29-2019 at 07:24 AM.

So an update...roof is back to it's old look. Was probably just some work to prevent leaks like in 2018.

I personally think they need to demolish the whole thing. Turn the space into a bigger Champions Square or just an area for tail gating.

Build a new arena right across the river in Algeirs. The current arena was built for a paltry $180 million (in today's dollars), and that's obvious. Meanwhile you've got billion dollar arenas planned or going up on the west coast.

Are you nuts? You put it across the river, you kill it. NOLA people aren't going to cross to the WB for a basketball game. And surely not for all the other events that are held in SKC. And you can't really compare the cost of the arena to others built at the same time because they didn't have to pay to built a parking lot since they use the Superdome one. Its called being efficient, not being cheap.

Like LSU's football locker room?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Are you nuts? You put it across the river, you kill it. NOLA people aren't going to cross to the WB for a basketball game. And surely not for all the other events that are held in SKC. And you can't really compare the cost of the arena to others built at the same time because they didn't have to pay to built a parking lot since they use the Superdome one. Its called being efficient, not being cheap.
    Well first of all, I said right across the river in Algiers. You make it seem like that is miles away when it's literally a 10 minutes drive at most. Plus it's not like that part of Algeirs is dead. There is nothing "nuts" about that. There isn't even a toll anymore to cross the bridge.

Secondly, it was cheap despite the benefits of using dome infrastructure. The roof leaking prime example number one. The constant need to renovate and upgrade suites prime example number two. Having to repaint the whole exterior number 3. Costs continue to be added and it's still regarded as a bottom tier arena. Probably always will be.

I won't sit here and confuse efficiency with what was obviously some cheap construction in constant need of lipstick.

I wont disagree about some of the cheap construction, but the "across the river" is a big thing. I KNOW its only 10 minutes, but its not like in cities like Pittsburgh where the bridges are ground level and people cross back and forth all the time. Its a mental thing. To most people in NOLA its a big deal to have to go to the west bank. Its all about perception. Anything that will make people hesitate to go, even if its only a perceived concern, is something to avoid.

I'll give you another example. I live in St. Charles Parish on the Eastbank, just minutes from the Hale Boggs bridge. People in my neighborhood will choose to drive 15-20 minutes to either Kenner or LaPlace before they'd cross the river and drive 10 minutes to get to Hwy 90 in Luling to go to the same store, WalMart for example. Its the perception that going to Luling is more difficult.
    Last edited by RobertM320; 07-29-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Well first of all, I said right across the river in Algiers. You make it seem like that is miles away when it's literally a 10 minutes drive at most. Plus it's not like that part of Algeirs is dead. There is nothing "nuts" about that. There isn't even a toll anymore to cross the bridge.

Secondly, it was cheap despite the benefits of using dome infrastructure. The roof leaking prime example number one. The constant need to renovate and upgrade suites prime example number two. Having to repaint the whole exterior number 3. Costs continue to be added and it's still regarded as a bottom tier arena. Probably always will be.

I won't sit here and confuse efficiency with what was obviously some cheap construction in constant need of lipstick.
    Not sure why Algiers would make any sense whatsoever. There is still a lot of traffic/congestion to get there. Where it is located now is not only efficient, it makes good common sense when it come to events coming to New Orleans. Being close to downtown and within walking distance of everything is a huge plus.

Could just build a mini-super dome shell over the exterior and call it a day?

The Artist    Contributor   
    They could always build it along the river front closer to the Convention Center and Riverwalk.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    The arena is fine and functions perfectly well! Ive had season tix since the first season and have never once felt like the arena is insufficient; the bathrooms and food are easily accesible, and the sightlines are great for basketball. I'm not sure what y'all are pining for.

Wait who said we were building a new arena? While I’m at it credit to the Clippers owner who will build a new arena with his own funds. No public funds!

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clipp...-steve-ballmer

Thread Information