Pelicans Report

Thread: E'Twaun Moore

E'Twaun Moore

Let's not be too quick to ship off E'Twaun Moore to open cap space for another signing. I argue that Moore could serve as a valuable piece in the mosaic that Griff is building here in New Orleans. Here's why:

1. FAMILIARITY: He is already familiar with the 'so-called' Alvin Gentry system, so the learning curve would not be an impediment.
    2. CONTRIBUTION: Over his three years in New Orleans, I'll argue that he was the third most consistent scoring option on the team.
    3. VERSATILITY: He has been consistent in both the starting and reserve role while here in New Orleans. Also, he is able play two positions (2 & 3) quite capably which would allow him to back up Ingram who has medical questions, and as a rotational player in the front court.
    4. CONSISTENCY: In his three years here, he's been a +40% shooter from three, but, nonetheless, has proven to be solid finisher at the rim. Also, he's been a +45% shooter overall from the field as a Pelican while averaging double digits.
    5. CHARACTER: As the 'walls of Jericho' crumbled around the team this year, he was a pillar of strength. I've never heard a bad word spoken about him as a teammate; if anything, he's deferred to others too frequently.

I don't believe there is anyone left in Free Agency (not named Leonard) who can offer this team more than our very own Moore. Here is a case where doing nothing is the thing to do.

There are a few issues with a couple of the things you say. Firstly: I'd agree that he was probably the most consistent third option we've had, but that's not saying much. All of our other third options were either only here for a year (Randle, for example) or got traded early (Hield), or were initially a third option and then became a second option due to injury (Jrue when Boogie got injured), or joined the team late (Mirotic). It's not like he's had much competition for ''consistent third option''.

It's not true that he was consistent whether starting or reserve though. Just looking at last season:

Starting: 13.7/2.6/1.9 on 51% from the floor, 44% from 3, -5 Net Rating
    Bench: 8.3/2.0/1.9 on 38.3% from the floor, 40.7% from 3, -16 Net Rating

E'twaun's performance cratered when he came off the bench. It was kind of a dramatic thing last season that a lot of people talked about, the big decline he took when he wasn't starting.

I wouldn't mind keeping him, I do think he's better as a player than some people think, and I think he has potential value in certain lineups and in certain moments of games to provide extra spacing, because he is a capable shooter. But if a good move comes up that sees him moving on, then I'm not going to cry over him. I like him, but he's not the kind of player you should be clinging on to with both hands.
    Basketball.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Moore is a trade deadline trade piece. Attach a second round pick and get a good asset for the stretch run.

If all else fails he'll fall off the books next year and we'll have an extra 10 mill to spend.

If we can get a good point guard for the back up position then I’m all for getting him off the books if not may as well keep him until the deadline .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be nice if we could move him for either just space or a 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    There are a few issues with a couple of the things you say. Firstly: I'd agree that he was probably the most consistent third option we've had, but that's not saying much. All of our other third options were either only here for a year (Randle, for example) or got traded early (Hield), or were initially a third option and then became a second option due to injury (Jrue when Boogie got injured), or joined the team late (Mirotic). It's not like he's had much competition for ''consistent third option''.

It's not true that he was consistent whether starting or reserve though. Just looking at last season:

Starting: 13.7/2.6/1.9 on 51% from the floor, 44% from 3, -5 Net Rating
    Bench: 8.3/2.0/1.9 on 38.3% from the floor, 40.7% from 3, -16 Net Rating

E'twaun's performance cratered when he came off the bench. It was kind of a dramatic thing last season that a lot of people talked about, the big decline he took when he wasn't starting.

I wouldn't mind keeping him, I do think he's better as a player than some people think, and I think he has potential value in certain lineups and in certain moments of games to provide extra spacing, because he is a capable shooter. But if a good move comes up that sees him moving on, then I'm not going to cry over him. I like him, but he's not the kind of player you should be clinging on to with both hands.
    To be fair our team was a ton more top heavy last year and super thin on actual bench players. I think with the depth we have across the board this year Moore's success off the bench would be much higher. It's hard to go from Jrue, AD, Niko to Frazier, Jackson, Solomon Hill.

That said however I agree with your general take. If he's on the team, fine, if a good deal comes along or we can get a better player, great.

Thread Information