.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 101

Thread: Pels trade for Favors

  1. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    So you'd rather have a 3yr/63m deal in Randle or a 4yr/109m deal in Horford over 1yr/17m in Favors and 2yr/23 in Reddick?

    That would have really swung the free agency for you?
    Let's not forget the a couple of old guys statement he made and he wants to pay horford whatever he wants lol

    Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

  2. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I have always thought his natural position was PF but that he was serviceable as a C. Obviously for us, he will play C and I think he fits us there.
    Definitely the other way around. First off, from a Utah Jazz fan, congratulations! You just picked up a hell of a basketball player and an even better guy. No question Derrick's natural position is at the five. He has spent the last few years at the 4 trying to develop at least a corner 3 but he's just not enough of a shooter to be a 4 in this era. Having watched Derrick absolutely feast on opponents' centers when Derrick slid to the 5 to spell Rudy Gobert makes me glad that he's somewhere that he can start and play significant minutes at his natural position. I have to admit that I don't know a huge amount about the Pelicans but if you have a guard or forward that can run the pick and roll you just got a center that is excellent at it.

    Best of luck to Derrick and the Pelicans next year.

  3. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by 61_Shasta View Post
    Definitely the other way around. First off, from a Utah Jazz fan, congratulations! You just picked up a hell of a basketball player and an even better guy. No question Derrick's natural position is at the five. He has spent the last few years at the 4 trying to develop at least a corner 3 but he's just not enough of a shooter to be a 4 in this era. Having watched Derrick absolutely feast on opponents' centers when Derrick slid to the 5 to spell Rudy Gobert makes me glad that he's somewhere that he can start and play significant minutes at his natural position. I have to admit that I don't know a huge amount about the Pelicans but if you have a guard or forward that can run the pick and roll you just got a center that is excellent at it.

    Best of luck to Derrick and the Pelicans next year.
    Thanks for the kind words, and good luck to the Jazz next year. I think you guys could really make serious waves, and depending on where Kawhi ends up you could even be favourites to come out of the West.

    Jrue is a lot better in the pick and roll than a lot of people think, so that's good to hear. I remember it was only a year or two ago that Jrue finished top 5 in the league in points created in the pick and roll.

    That said, the transition game and early buckets are going to be our bread and butter more than any given set play, and that's where I'm really excited to see Favors. He scored extremely efficiently in ''Gentry Ball'' style possessions over the last few years, but unfortunately the Jazz playstyle didn't give him that many opportunities to do it. Hopefully he'll break out a little more in New Orleans.
    Zion ''The Earthquake'' Williamson

    Paying attention to the next draft too early.

  4. #79
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,817
    Quote Originally Posted by 61_Shasta View Post
    Definitely the other way around. First off, from a Utah Jazz fan, congratulations! You just picked up a hell of a basketball player and an even better guy. No question Derrick's natural position is at the five. He has spent the last few years at the 4 trying to develop at least a corner 3 but he's just not enough of a shooter to be a 4 in this era. Having watched Derrick absolutely feast on opponents' centers when Derrick slid to the 5 to spell Rudy Gobert makes me glad that he's somewhere that he can start and play significant minutes at his natural position. I have to admit that I don't know a huge amount about the Pelicans but if you have a guard or forward that can run the pick and roll you just got a center that is excellent at it.

    Best of luck to Derrick and the Pelicans next year.
    I guess the NBA has changed a lot since he entered the league as he came into the league as a natural 4.

  5. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by 61_Shasta View Post
    Definitely the other way around. First off, from a Utah Jazz fan, congratulations! You just picked up a hell of a basketball player and an even better guy. No question Derrick's natural position is at the five. He has spent the last few years at the 4 trying to develop at least a corner 3 but he's just not enough of a shooter to be a 4 in this era. Having watched Derrick absolutely feast on opponents' centers when Derrick slid to the 5 to spell Rudy Gobert makes me glad that he's somewhere that he can start and play significant minutes at his natural position. I have to admit that I don't know a huge amount about the Pelicans but if you have a guard or forward that can run the pick and roll you just got a center that is excellent at it.

    Best of luck to Derrick and the Pelicans next year.
    Your team will always be known as the Utah ____ around here buddy.

    Give us our stuff back. Unoriginal thieves! ��

  6. #81
    The Franchise tthier2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Opelousas
    Posts
    1,389
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Your team will always be known as the Utah ____ around here buddy.

    Give us our stuff back. Unoriginal thieves! ��
    Lmao
    I'm a grinder

  7. #82
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,759
    Great addition to the squaddddd.

    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

  8. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by 61_Shasta View Post
    Definitely the other way around. First off, from a Utah Jazz fan, congratulations! You just picked up a hell of a basketball player and an even better guy. No question Derrick's natural position is at the five. He has spent the last few years at the 4 trying to develop at least a corner 3 but he's just not enough of a shooter to be a 4 in this era. Having watched Derrick absolutely feast on opponents' centers when Derrick slid to the 5 to spell Rudy Gobert makes me glad that he's somewhere that he can start and play significant minutes at his natural position. I have to admit that I don't know a huge amount about the Pelicans but if you have a guard or forward that can run the pick and roll you just got a center that is excellent at it.

    Best of luck to Derrick and the Pelicans next year.
    thanks...i think you right looking at the stats of favors with and without gobert it really makes a difference. Pretty excited to see how this all plays out. Lets gooooo.

  9. #84
    I haven’t heard a single Jazz fan speak poorly of Favors, not have I heard any Jazz podcasts that have spoken poorly of Favors. He was just the 2nd center on a team with a top 5 center. No harm no foul. We got a good one. He won’t be great, but he will be serviceable.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

  10. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I havenít heard a single Jazz fan speak poorly of Favors, not have I heard any Jazz podcasts that have spoken poorly of Favors. He was just the 2nd center on a team with a top 5 center. No harm no foul. We got a good one. He wonít be great, but he will be serviceable.
    Favors started every game he played in '17-'18. (77 games) and started 70 of 76 games he played in last year. He might have been the '2nd center' but he was good enough to be on the court at the start of every game.
    Because of Griff's Genius, Gayle Benson now owns a second NBA Franchise for the next seven years,

  11. #86
    The Franchise tthier2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Opelousas
    Posts
    1,389
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I havenít heard a single Jazz fan speak poorly of Favors, not have I heard any Jazz podcasts that have spoken poorly of Favors. He was just the 2nd center on a team with a top 5 center. No harm no foul. We got a good one. He wonít be great, but he will be serviceable.
    Never know he could possibly be great 🤷🏽**♂️

  12. #87
    538 just dropped a new defensive metric they've calculated based on shots defended and opponent shot percentage, made to fit alongside DRPM.

    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...mpression=true

    According to their new metric, DRAYMOND, the best defender in the NBA in the 2018-19 season, who played at least 2000 minutes was...

    Derrick Favors.

    He played over 4000 possessions last season, and put up a DRAYMOND score of +3.74. By comparison, Gobert posted a DRAYMOND score of +2.82, Ibaka posted +2.63, and Mitchell Robinson (who posted the second highest score) had +3.32.

    And that's just over last season. If you look at all players over the last 6 years, Favors falls 12th, with an overall DRAYMOND score of +1.86. This compares very well with Anthony Davis, who has posted a 6 year DRAYMOND score of +2.05, and Al Horford, whose 6 year DRAYMOND score is +1.41.

  13. #88
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    12,965
    I feel like we should give favors a 2 year extension soon. I think he is going to have a great season and up his value tremendously come next summer.

  14. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I feel like we should give favors a 2 year extension soon. I think he is going to have a great season and up his value tremendously come next summer.
    I agree. He will be much cheaper now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #90
    RIP BDJ AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,431
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I feel like we should give favors a 2 year extension soon. I think he is going to have a great season and up his value tremendously come next summer.
    I assume they have his bird rights?

  16. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Your team will always be known as the Utah ____ around here buddy.

    Give us our stuff back. Unoriginal thieves! ��
    Sadly, the Utah (Blanks) _______ perfectly embodies the blandness of Utah.

  17. #92
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! AusPel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I assume they have his bird rights?
    Yep full bird rights

    Though I'm a little worried about the shooting/spacing from our 4/5

  18. #93

    Blandness ? I think not

    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Sadly, the Utah (Blanks) _______ perfectly embodies the blandness of Utah.
    Well, I'm from the lower nine, but in a previous life, used to 4 wheel across the West. Some of the most beautiful places I ever slept with my Airedale, under the stars, was coincidentally, Zion National Park.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZION.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	6473


    But, I get your point.
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

  19. #94
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! AusPel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I haven’t heard a single Jazz fan speak poorly of Favors, not have I heard any Jazz podcasts that have spoken poorly of Favors. He was just the 2nd center on a team with a top 5 center. No harm no foul. We got a good one. He won’t be great, but he will be serviceable.
    He's gonna be a lot more than serviceable. One of the most underrated players in the league

  20. #95
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,621
    This is his opportunity to get more minutes. He can move to the 4 while Hayes or Okafor comes in to play Center. Zion can move to the 3. Redick at the 2 and Ball or Jrue at the 1. Favors and Zion both do well with getting offensive rebounds. We gotta use our frontcourt to draw lots of fouls. Get teams in foul trouble early.

    Favors is HUGE. 270lbs. With him and Zion as our frontcourt they will push opponents around and exhaust them and get rebounds. 270 plus 285 equals 555lbs!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    This is his opportunity to get more minutes. He can move to the 4 while Hayes or Okafor comes in to play Center. Zion can move to the 3. Redick at the 2 and Ball or Jrue at the 1. Favors and Zion both do well with getting offensive rebounds. We gotta use our frontcourt to draw lots of fouls. Get teams in foul trouble early.

    Favors is HUGE. 270lbs. With him and Zion as our frontcourt they will push opponents around and exhaust them and get rebounds. 270 plus 285 equals 555lbs!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's like an NFL RDE/LDE combo

  22. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    He's gonna be a lot more than serviceable. One of the most underrated players in the league
    For real. Elite rim protector, can guard down a little without too much issue because although he's big, he's still fairly mobile, and he's offensively gifted.

    Shamit over at BSS did a big analysis of how different players around the league fit into Gentry Ball, which is efficient, high volume shooting early in the shot clock, and Favors did very well. While he didn't get to take that many shots super early in the clock (Utah's system just didn't run at the pace we do very often), when he did take those extremely early Gentry Ball looks, he was extremely efficient.

    Basically, in the 2017-18 season, Favors shot Gentry Ball (within the first 9 seconds of the clock) attempts only 23% of the time, falling into the 12th percentile league-wide. This number was identical in the 2018-19 season. But when he DID take those shots, by god was he efficient: in 2017-18, he fell into the 95th percentile, and in 18-19, the 89th percentile in terms of early shot-clock efficiency. Man just put up insane points per possession when taking early looks.

    It might take him until December to really get used to running with the consistency that Gentry demands, but I think he can do so, and when he's done so in the past it's had fantastic results.

  23. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    For real. Elite rim protector, can guard down a little without too much issue because although he's big, he's still fairly mobile, and he's offensively gifted.

    Shamit over at BSS did a big analysis of how different players around the league fit into Gentry Ball, which is efficient, high volume shooting early in the shot clock, and Favors did very well. While he didn't get to take that many shots super early in the clock (Utah's system just didn't run at the pace we do very often), when he did take those extremely early Gentry Ball looks, he was extremely efficient.

    Basically, in the 2017-18 season, Favors shot Gentry Ball (within the first 9 seconds of the clock) attempts only 23% of the time, falling into the 12th percentile league-wide. This number was identical in the 2018-19 season. But when he DID take those shots, by god was he efficient: in 2017-18, he fell into the 95th percentile, and in 18-19, the 89th percentile in terms of early shot-clock efficiency. Man just put up insane points per possession when taking early looks.

    It might take him until December to really get used to running with the consistency that Gentry demands, but I think he can do so, and when he's done so in the past it's had fantastic results.
    So, if you're a big shooting early in the shot clock, that's probably either a fast break or OREB, right? So all we're really learning here is that Favors is good around the rim?

  24. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    So, if you're a big shooting early in the shot clock, that's probably either a fast break or OREB, right? So all we're really learning here is that Favors is good around the rim?
    Generally yes, it's either on a fast break or OREB, though not always.

    Again, yes, a lot of Gentry Ball shots come at the rim, but not always. It's less about the where, and more about the when. The example Shamit gave in his original Gentry Ball article was Elfrid Payton: Payton's efficiency soared when shots were taken early in the clock, even if shots taken at a later time were within the same kind of distance from the rim. The concern is beating the defense, not really about where the shot is taken. Favors finishes brilliantly at the rim, but he also has a killer midrange game out to around 16 feet, and frankly I don't think it matters which shot he takes as long as he's taking it within the pace of the offense before the defense can set.

  25. #100
    But the same would hold true for Payton too, right? His early shot clock attempts are going to primarily be wide open fast break layups, and his same-distance shots later in the clock would probably be much more contested, on average. Just thinking out loud, really, but wouldn't just about everyone in the league have higher efficiency early in the clock? I agree with what you're saying re: beating the defense...I just think that would benefit pretty much anyone (hence Gentry's preference).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •