Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pels trade for Favors

I can’t believe we added two starting caliber players in JJ Redick and Derrick Favors today to go with Jrue, Zion, Ingram, Ball, Hart, Hayes, NAW, Okafor, Jackson, Wood, Moore, & our new highly skilled traditional Euro big man, Nicola Melli (the new Nico with a C)

C: Favors, Okafor, Hayes
    PF: Zion, Hayes/Wood/Melli/Favors
    SF: Ingram, Hart/Moore/Redick, Kenrich
    SG: Jrue, Redick, Hart/Moore/NAW
    PG: Ball, Jackson, Jrue/NAW

I think we try to move Etwaun Moore due to the fact we are stacked at shooting guard. He can play as a 3rd guard in a 3 guard lineup as well like he’s done before, but I think Hart & Redick will play there a lot when Ingram is out of the game. Jrue, Jackson, & NAW can run the point, but I hope we bring back the hometown kid, Elfrid Payton to replace Moore. Not sure if I want Frank Jackson or NAW running the point for our second unit just yet and don’t think Redick, Hart, or Moore will either.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-30-2019 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    The great thing is all of the short term deals with good players. Easy to trade them for a guy like Beal if he becomes available.
    Yes exactly. Along with future assets we have enough and plenty to still keep if we want Beal. I think he is the big move in our back pocket. I love the team we have now and a fan of Lonzos game. I just have a feeling Griff isn’t done and a move like Beal for Zo+picks makes us contenders instantly. Either way I’m happy but that’s the only deal left I can see us making.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I can’t believe we added two starting caliber players in JJ Redick and Derrick Favors today to go with Jrue, Zion, Ingram, Ball, Hart, Hayes, NAW, Okafor, Jackson, Wood, Moore, & our new highly skilled traditional Euro big man, Nicola Melli (the new Nico with a C)

C: Favors, Okafor, Hayes
    PF: Zion, Hayes/Wood/Melli/Favors
    SF: Ingram, Hart/Moore/Redick, Kenrich
    SG: Jrue, Redick, Hart/Moore/NAW
    PG: Ball, Jackson, Jrue/NAW

I think we try to move Etwaun Moore due to the fact we are stacked at shooting guard. He can play as a 3rd guard in a 3 guard lineup as well like he’s done before, but I think Hart & Redick will play there a lot when Ingram is out of the game. Jrue, Jackson, & NAW can run the point, but I hope we bring back the hometown kid, Elfrid Payton to replace Moore. Not sure if I want Frank Jackson or NAW running the point for our second unit just yet and don’t think Redick, Hart, or Moore will either.
    Yea I would love to bring back Elfrid as our bench PG. Frank is more of a combo guard and not someone I’m ready to hand over the keys as backup PG. I do feel good with him at the position do to the many ball handlers and creators we now have on the team. Moore is a very solid trade piece that I’m sure we are shipping for the best asset or will be using him as part of a bigger deal like Beal to help match salaries. Either way Moore is a valuable piece on this team or a good trade chip.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Yes exactly. Along with future assets we have enough and plenty to still keep if we want Beal. I think he is the big move in our back pocket. I love the team we have now and a fan of Lonzos game. I just have a feeling Griff isn’t done and a move like Beal for Zo+picks makes us contenders instantly. Either way I’m happy but that’s the only deal left I can see us making.
    I doubt we trade Lonzo Ball for Beal. Gentry likes what Zo would bring to his system as a passer, fast break leader, and versatile defender. And I don't think we go into the season with Frank Jackson and Jrue Holiday as our point guards.

Another big move! David You are the Man!!

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1...272346624?s=19

Sent them a pair of warrior 2nds. Now we only have 9 2nd round picks.... Oh no. /sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

Sent them a pair of warrior 2nds. Now we only have 9 2nd round picks.... Oh no. /sarcasm
    How can Griffen possibly justify that! We could have saved those for a superstar like Ainge did...

This is the benefit of having accumulated all those seconds, lots of flexibility to scoop up players before they get to the open market or facilitate other teams trades.

Looking forward to watching this team, wish we didn’t have so long to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saints#34 View Post
    This is the benefit of having accumulated all those seconds, lots of flexibility to scoop up players before they get to the open market or facilitate other teams trades.

Looking forward to watching this team, wish we didn’t have so long to wait.

That’s what I’ve been saying I’m ready to watch this team play it’s going to be a good year considering last season was a disaster it was like a lost season .

is it crazy that I'm more interested in seeing the defense this team puts up than the offense?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    is it crazy that I'm more interested in seeing the defense this team puts up than the offense?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    No, I agree that it’s going to be a fun, high effort team to watch.

Nice. I've said before that Favors as a player doesn't thrill me, but that's just my personal view on his game. As an actual player, just going by raw results, he's perfectly solid. Not an all-star, but he's a legitimate starter calibre player, and, as a couple of people have said, a plus defender.

Last season, Favors only played 23 minutes a game, but in those minutes he held people he guarded to 6.8% lower than their shooting average. Most impressively, he held them to 12.9% lower than their averages within 6 feet of the basket, and also 8.7% worse from behind the three point line.

Does some of that come from being surrounded by other good, smart, team defenders? Sure. Does some of it come from being on a team that was very well coached defensively? Sure, again. But some of it comes down to him being a smart guy who knows how to play basic defense.

Besides, this team is now full of good, smart, team defenders. Lonzo, Jrue, Zion springing immediately to mind.
    Basketball.

Keep in mind Favors played out of position for Utah too. He's much more of a center than a PF but because of Gobert he couldn't play his natural position then once Joe Ingles started playing more at the PF position his minutes declined.

Combine that with a team that typically runs at an extremely slow pace and there's a lot of potential for Favors here. The guy is only 27 (soon to be 28) too so I expect him to have a really good year for us.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    We are going to win some games and be in the playoffs baby.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    We are going to win some games and be in the playoffs baby.
    I dunno if we'll be in the playoffs but we are going to win more games than this past season for sure. A lot of depend on how our new guys develop.

Just for reference, Shamit did this cool little analysis of guys who fit Gentry Ball styles

Here's Favors' numbers. Basically: he didn't get many shots in that style due to Utah's offense, but when he got the chance he was very efficient. Hopefully we'll see some more of that.

Da Weatherman Speaks! Contributor WeatherNLU's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Nice. I've said before that Favors as a player doesn't thrill me, but that's just my personal view on his game. As an actual player, just going by raw results, he's perfectly solid. Not an all-star, but he's a legitimate starter calibre player, and, as a couple of people have said, a plus defender.

Last season, Favors only played 23 minutes a game, but in those minutes he held people he guarded to 6.8% lower than their shooting average. Most impressively, he held them to 12.9% lower than their averages within 6 feet of the basket, and also 8.7% worse from behind the three point line.

Does some of that come from being surrounded by other good, smart, team defenders? Sure. Does some of it come from being on a team that was very well coached defensively? Sure, again. But some of it comes down to him being a smart guy who knows how to play basic defense.

Besides, this team is now full of good, smart, team defenders. Lonzo, Jrue, Zion springing immediately to mind.
    Considering what was left available on the FA market, this is a HUGE get. Dude averaged 18/11/2BLK per 36 last season and was nearly 59% from the field. On top of all of that, he is an expiring.....so if it doesn't work out I would imagine we could flip him at the deadline to a contender for more than the 2 very low second round picks we gave up (since they are GSW). I think it's a great pickup though and him and Redick are both top notch locker room and community guys. Griff is a mad genius.

I survived Katrina, but nothing I owned did.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherNLU View Post
    Considering what was left available on the FA market, this is a HUGE get. Dude averaged 18/11/2BLK per 36 last season and was nearly 59% from the field. On top of all of that, he is an expiring.....so if it doesn't work out I would imagine we could flip him at the deadline to a contender for more than the 2 very low second round picks we gave up (since they are GSW). I think it's a great pickup though and him and Redick are both top notch locker room and community guys. Griff is a mad genius.
    It's definitely a good pickup. My reservations with Favors' aren't because of his game or his numbers.

Everyone has some players in the league they just don't really enjoy watching, for whatever reason. Favors' is that for me. Doesn't mean he's bad or anything, I just don't get excited watching him play. Hopefully some of that is due to how Utah used him and I enjoy watching him more on our team, in our offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It's definitely a good pickup. My reservations with Favors' aren't because of his game or his numbers.

Everyone has some players in the league they just don't really enjoy watching, for whatever reason. Favors' is that for me. Doesn't mean he's bad or anything, I just don't get excited watching him play. Hopefully some of that is due to how Utah used him and I enjoy watching him more on our team, in our offense.
    I hear ya! I just love how we are adding talent without digging a hole for the future. Redick, 2 years. Favors, 1 year. I also love their veteran presence in the locker room.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeatherNLU View Post
    He's only 28 as well. If he fits (which I think he will) I would like to explore giving him a short term deal after this year.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar

I'm gonna start calling Griff "Dumbledore." The man is a straight up wizard.

Keep in mind Favors played out of position for Utah too. He's much more of a center than a PF but because of Gobert he couldn't play his natural position then once Joe Ingles started playing more at the PF position his minutes declined.

Combine that with a team that typically runs at an extremely slow pace and there's a lot of potential for Favors here. The guy is only 27 (soon to be 28) too so I expect him to have a really good year for us.
    I have always thought his natural position was PF but that he was serviceable as a C. Obviously for us, he will play C and I think he fits us there.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I have always thought his natural position was PF but that he was serviceable as a C. Obviously for us, he will play C and I think he fits us there.
    Maybe, He's not really a floor spacer and at 6'10 265 and 7'4 wingspan that falls pretty firmly in the center size range for me. Maybe the better way for me to phrase it is, he's better when not required to be paired with someone else who cannot go out onto the wings on offense.

Even if Zion doesn't have a great 3pt shot atm, he's so good initiating the offense with the ball in his hands out on the wing that he gives Favors a lot of space to work with down low. Of course defensively Zion will be able to guard just about anyone 1-4 so that just makes Favors job much easier on both sides of the court.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Dude, there is gonna be so much dunking going on in the SKC!

Thread Information