Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Sign JJ Reddick to 2yr/26.5m Deal

really good signing. It definitely serves as an nba pick me up after being nauseated at how the lakers got to max money.....

We are a playoff team next year.

...Is Redick already going to be the best three point shooter in Pels history?

The only real competition I can think of is someone like Peja, E'twaun, and Morrow.

But Morrow only shot 2.5 a game, Moore's volume is super low in comparison to Redick's as well.

So that leaves Peja.
    Basketball.

Wow. Excellent signing. I couldn't expect any better. Redick is no All Star but his shooting alone makes him an elite vet. He's also a hardworker. He struggled to adapt from college (Duke, in addition) but make huge improvements to become a key starter on contending teams. Young players can learn a lot from his experience. And if Ball learns some shooting from him...

I appreciate Moore so much and also his contract comes off the books next year. Gentry even referred to Moore as his best player in many of the games last year, and offensively he can do pretty much everything.

A lineup of:

Jrue
    Reddick
    Moore
    Ingram
    Zion

Would be interesting at times during the game, that lineup alone could score 12 consecutive points and make key stops which can help in transition.

Ball comes back in, and you keep swapping out shooters and young players, you get a consortium of talent that spreads the court at all times without being s total liability defensively at any point in the game. I’m all for keeping Moore. We need him.

Did not expect this! World class sniper, excellent signing! Loving our new FO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    ...Is Redick already going to be the best three point shooter in Pels history?

The only real competition I can think of is someone like Peja, E'twaun, and Morrow.

But Morrow only shot 2.5 a game, Moore's volume is super low in comparison to Redick's as well.

So that leaves Peja.
    My mind initially thought Reddick for sure but then I looked up peja's three point numbers for us and he still had that jumper then. For some reason I thought his legs fell off the cliff while he was with us but it was his next stop. Also, three point percentages are up a tick throughout the league now(with increased volumes), so I'd have to say it's going to be hard for Reddick to beat him out....

Reddick feels like the better player though. I just like to watch Reddick come off curls and that release.....

I hope it doesn't happen, but it wouldn't shock me to see him really fall off this year or next. He seems like the sort of player that if he loses just a tad, the wheels in his game could really come off....hope it won't happen, and that's why it is a 2 year deal too.

Still like the signing.

Reddick had the best season of his career last year

Quote Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
    I hope it doesn't happen, but it wouldn't shock me to see him really fall off this year or next. He seems like the sort of player that if he loses just a tad, the wheels in his game could really come off....hope it won't happen, and that's why it is a 2 year deal too.

Still like the signing.
    I feel like guys who are pure shooters tend to age pretty well. Korver was 37 last season and he averaged 39.7% from deep on 5 attempts a game, so I think that kind of thing is still reasonable to expect from Redick, who is 2 years younger than Korver and averaged 18ppg last year.

Another good example would be Ray Allen. For the last 4 years of his career (age 35 onwards) he still shot 42% from deep on 4.5 attempts per game.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    3 point shooting got addressed. So important. This is a really great signing. I want the PELS to be a top 10 3 point shooting team. High volume high percentage.

The other thing about this move is when the game is close and you worry about Lonzo shooting 42 percent you can just move Jrue or Ingram to pg and have JJ in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    3 point shooting got addressed. So important. This is a really great signing. I want the PELS to be a top 10 3 point shooting team. High volume high percentage.

The other thing about this move is when the game is close and you worry about Lonzo shooting 42 percent you can just move Jrue or Ingram to pg and have JJ in the game.

For real, then you only have to worry about Ingram shooting 67% from the line and Zion shooting 60% from the line

Honestly, I'm very excited about this team going into next year, but our free throw shooting is just bad no matter how you slice it.

For real, then you only have to worry about Ingram shooting 67% from the line and Zion shooting 60% from the line

Honestly, I'm very excited about this team going into next year, but our free throw shooting is just bad no matter how you slice it.
    You let one of them inbound the ball and hide the other while everyone else on the court is a good ft shooter. We can even us Hayes as the other big in those scenarios since he's a good ft shooter.

Basketball Guru
    reddick could have signed with any team for 2yrs but by him signing with us tells me that he believe that we may have a good team for the next 2 years,,,,

Day One of New Orleans Pelicans Training Camp: Shooting 101 with JJ Reddick.
    Maybe he can teach Lonzo how to shoot FTs.

Superb signing. Great job David!

Coach K sighting on this one to me. Probably persuaded him to look after him as he navigates. Good move all around

And our podcasting guy lmao.

From watching some of his content...I can tell JJ will be effusive with his praise for David Griffin and the roster. DG likely sealed the deal because they both clicked very well.

Having this podcast will be an underrated value addition to the team. I hope he keeps doing it.
    Last edited by akhan786; 06-30-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Absolutely love this signing!! My top 3 favorite college basketball player of all time. Another Duke LEGEND added to five Zion just a little more comfort. Fits exactly what we need as well! This team is putting a squad together... GO PELS!!

LoL maybe you and the other 1 or 2 haters can go on about Ingram for 5 straight pages and get this thread shut down? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Reddick had the best season of his career last year

Going to be even better here!!

Reddick is cool.

But he's not 'having your face being trotted around the arena' cool.

Peja all the way. Even the convo is slight blasphemy.

Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I can't recall many (if any) here who moved without the ball better than Redick.... and just needing a tiny bit of space to operate in also....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

With all of the Dukies coming in, I am wondering whether Vernon Carey, Matthew Hurt or Wendell Moore will be the Pelicans' first round pick in next year's draft.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Actually, that stat isn’t as significant as you think. It’s much more likely that griffin and Gentry and Langdon care more about the 4 factors of winning. 1. FG % 2. FTA (not FTM) 3. Offensive rebounding 4. Turnovers.

Zion is the best offensive rebounder in college basketball. Favors is 12th best offensive rebounder in the league.

The most important thing is FG%. You can talk all day about FT% but true shooting percentage is the stat you should be looking at. Ingram shoots 49% from the field. Zion and Favors have very high FG%. I’m sure there there’s more stats that support what I’m saying about Griffin and Langdon addressing 4 factors.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I honestly think last year he took too many 3s (8 per game). We don't need him to average 18+ppg here. I expect him to come off the bench and have a year like he did in 16-17. 28-30mpg, 15ppg and super efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Actually, that stat isn’t as significant as you think. It’s much more likely that griffin and Gentry and Langdon care more about the 4 factors of winning. 1. FG % 2. FTA (not FTM) 3. Offensive rebounding 4. Turnovers.

Zion is the best offensive rebounder in college basketball. Favors is 12th best offensive rebounder in the league.

The most important thing is FG%. You can talk all day about FT% but true shooting percentage is the stat you should be looking at. Ingram shoots 49% from the field. Zion and Favors have very high FG%. I’m sure there there’s more stats that support what I’m saying about Griffin and Langdon addressing 4 factors.

In the context of the conversation I thought he was talking about end of game scenarios where opponents are much more likely to foul then allow for shots to get off.

I understand the point but I think it can be minimized by using either Zion or Ingram to inbound the ball and have 3 other good ft shooters on the court.

Look at Houston for example. PJ Tucker and Clint Capela both shot in the 60% range last year but Houston was still successful while having 2 mediocre ft shooters on the court to close out games.

Thread Information