Pelicans Report

Thread: AD knew he was going to want to be traded

Pelicans AD knew he was going to want to be traded

Hi Guys/Gals,
    Long time lurker on the page and first time poster. I ran across this info and felt it was worth sharing.

Sorry but I don’t know how to embed thing yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NOLAPelican...old_us_it_was/

Hi and welcome. Yeah that's crazy. AD was fresh off the heels of sweeping Portland and already wanted out enough to tank an entire season waiting for the chance to demand out. Just solidifies how beta he is. Not even man enough to demand out last summer.

Yeah... just wow.

And then to have the audacity to stand there in front of the media before this started and re-iterate time and again that he wanted to be in New Orleans and that he was sick of the rumours about him asking out... when he had already decided he was going to ask out!

Disgraceful.
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    the main thing that ******** me off with AD was the whole setup.....

got to the second round and build up hype for that coming season.....talk big about wanting or going to be MVP....we had a nice team imo that could have been a top 4 seed.....signed with rich paul but i assumed he would ask to be traded after the season ended after another playoff run but then that would have been a durant move depending on how good we could have been in the playoffs..so i guess thats another reason that he let the players know he was going to ask for a early trade to avoid a durant type of situation..........the team started off hot and we all were juiced up then AD showed us his true side and killed the season....

its a new beginning so im more hyped up now than i was about the start of last season.......let go pels..

Glad he is gone. Onwards and upwards....lets goo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Hi and welcome. Yeah that's crazy. AD was fresh off the heels of sweeping Portland and already wanted out enough to tank an entire season waiting for the chance to demand out. Just solidifies how beta he is. Not even man enough to demand out last summer.
    Thanks for the welcome. AD showed his true colors for sure. I hope he never wins a championship in his career.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Reeks of no backbone. How do you have one of the better seasons in franchise history, and then give up before the following season even starts? Losing respect for this clown more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by OilfieldTrash View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. AD showed his true colors for sure. I hope he never wins a championship in his career.
    Oh yeah, sorry for forgetting. Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Oh yeah, sorry for forgetting. Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks!

I agree. Wanting out is one thing. The way he tried to five-year-old his way out is immature, petty, and insecure.

With all that said: without this unfolding the way it did; we would not have Griff, Zion, a full Smoothie King Center, many young fun players, so, so many options with draft picks, one maybe two more FAs coming, and a very real and venomous hate for a new rival, the Lakers.

We are blessed to be rid of him, and so blessed for our future.

The writing was on the wall with AD IMO. With any super star, if you are not making the conference finals year in year out they are gonna want to bounce for a chance at that sooner or later. They all think about their legacy and don’t want to be in the same category as Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, and other great hall of fame players that never won a ring. I didn’t like how it went down, but at least he didn’t pull a Lebron by leaving when his contract ran out his first time in Cleveland. We got probably the best haul for a player ever. If we didn’t land the top pick, it would of stung so much worse. Getting another once in a lifetime type talent like Zion makes it so much better seeing AD in the rearview mirror. If Grif & Trajan play their cards right we could be contending soon and for a long time.

I hope we shock and end up with a better record than the Lakers this year! Oh how sweet it will be if that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    The writing was on the wall with AD IMO. With any super star, if you are not making the conference finals year in year out they are gonna want to bounce for a chance at that sooner or later. They all think about their legacy and don’t want to be in the same category as Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, and other great hall of fame players that never won a ring. I didn’t like how it went down, but at least he didn’t pull a Lebron by leaving when his contract ran out his first time in Cleveland. We got probably the best haul for a player ever. If we didn’t land the top pick, it would of stung so much worse. Getting another once in a lifetime type talent like Zion makes it so much better seeing AD in the rearview mirror. If Grif & Trajan play their cards right we could be contending soon and for a long time.

I hope we shock and end up with a better record than the Lakers this year! Oh how sweet it will be if that happens.
    Yeah, the horror of ending up like Barkley, Malone and Ewing.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

I can say Zion is eons ahead of AD coming out of college. I heard one moron on the radio say Zion is just a dunker right now, which is the furthest from the truth.

Even in the post, Zion has a drop step, pump fake, pivot game already in his toolbox and can find the open man out of a double team.

Just a better playmaker at age 19 vs than AD at age 22 and a few NBA years in his belt. Would not be surprised at all if he smashes the NBA right out of the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I can say Zion is eons ahead of AD coming out of college. I heard one moron on the radio say Zion is just a dunker right now, which is the furthest from the truth.

Even in the post, Zion has a drop step, pump fake, pivot game already in his toolbox and can find the open man out of a double team.

Just a better playmaker at age 19 vs than AD at age 22 and a few NBA years in his belt. Would not be surprised at all if he smashes the NBA right out of the gate.
    I totally agree. Much more upside offensively due to his footwork and passing ability.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

That's no news. Nobody should still buy the "poor management" narrative. Davis wanted out looking for a big market. Period. Well, in fact it was Davis, the media, and half of the league that wanted him in a big market superteam. They never cared about management or "wasting Davis' prime years" but it was the excuse since day one.

Don't get me wrong. Management was far from perfect. But there are many examples of pushed narrative in order to make it appear worse than it actually was. In fact, Davis' preferred teams have been awfully managed during the recent years and nobody seems to remark that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelispanish View Post
    That's no news. Nobody should still buy the "poor management" narrative. Davis wanted out looking for a big market. Period. Well, in fact it was Davis, the media, and half of the league that wanted him in a big market superteam. They never cared about management or "wasting Davis' prime years" but it was the excuse since day one.

Don't get me wrong. Management was far from perfect. But there are many examples of pushed narrative in order to make it appear worse than it actually was. In fact, Davis' preferred teams have been awfully managed during the recent years and nobody seems to remark that.
    Excellent post. Problem is ESPN seems to have recognized their power in shaping things in their favor. They've already started working on Zion. They would have preferrred if he went back to Duke.

I mean when the Pelicans won the lottery, Zion was "whisked" away abruptly and looked like "he'd been hit by a truck".

That lying bullshirt shouldn't be legal but nobody cares.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-30-2019 at 03:56 AM.

Davis did not want to be the leader pf a franchise. Some men would rather follow than lead, and he seems to be one of those. He found a situation where he can play ball and make money while letting others do the thinking and decision making. The Pelicans could never have landed someone to place over him (Jrue is not a strong leader either), so AD made the right choice for him. He is a small man with great gifts. Let's hope Zion turns out to be a bigger man (as his first impressions indicate) and that his gifts manifest themselves as well as AD's did.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Excellent post. Problem is ESPN seems to have recognized their power in shaping things in their favor. They've already started working on Zion. They would have preferrred if he went back to Duke.

I mean when the Pelicans won the lottery, Zion was "whisked" away abruptly and looked like "he'd been hit by a truck".

That lying bullshirt shouldn't be legal but nobody cares.
    Here in the UK, there's a rule that during any political election, the BBC (state broadcaster) is required to give even, balanced reporting. That is, if they have a 15 minute interview with the head of one party, they must also have an equal length interview with the head of all other major parties. They cannot run anything that could be construed as ''smear'' journalism, or the party/candidate in question has the right to appeal the coverage and get it corrected, on air. During none election-periods, this rule is not enforced and the BBC functions essentially as the media arm of the Tory Party.

There should be a similar rule in NBA journalism. During the season, speculate on whatever you want. But during the lottery, draft, free agency, summer league, and pre-season periods, ESPN or Sports Center or Fox Sports or whatever should be required to only report things for which there is legitimate, verifiable evidence, and they should also be subject to appeal whenever they deviate from that.

This will never, ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Here in the UK, there's a rule that during any political election, the BBC (state broadcaster) is required to give even, balanced reporting. That is, if they have a 15 minute interview with the head of one party, they must also have an equal length interview with the head of all other major parties. They cannot run anything that could be construed as ''smear'' journalism, or the party/candidate in question has the right to appeal the coverage and get it corrected, on air. During none election-periods, this rule is not enforced and the BBC functions essentially as the media arm of the Tory Party.

There should be a similar rule in NBA journalism. During the season, speculate on whatever you want. But during the lottery, draft, free agency, summer league, and pre-season periods, ESPN or Sports Center or Fox Sports or whatever should be required to only report things for which there is legitimate, verifiable evidence, and they should also be subject to appeal whenever they deviate from that.

This will never, ever happen.
    Yea that would go against our freedom of speech. Merica!

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    Yea that would go against our freedom of speech. Merica!
    Free speech is all well and good, but the fact is that there should be a journalistic responsibility to make it clear when you, as a media member, are speculating on what you think, and when you are reporting reality.

Spending an afternoon reading ESPN articles or watching Stephen A Smith babble on TV, you get a mixture of personal opinion, pure conjecture, and straight up dishonesty presented as if it were factual, researched work. There's no problem with there being ''opinion'' articles, and there's no problem with their being chat shows which are presented as being just people talking. It's when it crosses the line into purporting to be factual while actually having no basis in fact.

You might technically be protected by free speech (although if ESPN decided to make this a rule, they would have every right to do so as a private company, despite the First Amendment), but if the best defense of your speech that you can find is that it's not technically illegal to say, then you should probably work on getting something worth saying in the first place.

You are right. ESPN can determine how they want to put out their message as companies are treated as individuals. The government, on the other hand, has no right to dictate message. I digress, Glad AD is gone and we have a fresh start.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    The writing was on the wall with AD IMO. With any super star, if you are not making the conference finals year in year out they are gonna want to bounce for a chance at that sooner or later. .
    I don't think that's it. At all.

I think even if we were making conference finals multiple years and averaging 58 wins, there is a good chance AD would have still wanted to go to the lakers.

Just because they are the lakers and we are the pels. Now part of why they are the lakers are of course is because they have been so great. Because of all the history, titles, and that goes together with the lore and the location and you get the league's marquee franchise.

Contrast that with us, and we are a bottom 4 franchise in terms of q rating. And only part of that is us being in a small market. not every big market has a q rating higher than a small market for example.

But there are some nba franchises that just don't have a lot of 'pop' for whatever reason. In 2018 forbes valued us the east valuable franchise for example....28 was charlotte and 29 was Memphis.

I think with us getting Zion we have a better basketball future over the next 5 years than the hornets assuming he is real good, but that's really our most similar franchise to us. In that the q rating for both is so low, both southern franchises, both lack history relative to the rest of the nba.

Even with a few conference finals(heck even with an nba title) your q rating doesn't move that much. It's something that takes a long long time; generational change. The Lakers are the lakers and we are the pels; that's why Davis did what he did. Not because we weren't making conference finals....

Thread Information