Pelicans Report

Thread: Pels interested in Kevon Looney

Pels interested in Kevon Looney

https://clutchpoints.app.link?%24ide...hpbS8ifQ%3D%3D
    The Golden State Warriors are reportedly hoping to re-sign big man Kevon Looney once free agency starts on June 30. The Houston Rockets and New Orleans Pelicans are interested in signing Looney, according to NBA insider Sean Deveney.

Looney made $1,567,007 this past season with the Warriors. He’s in line for a pay raise this offseason.

Sean Deveney

@SeanDeveney
    Sources say the Pelicans, in addition to the Rockets, are among several teams intending to pursue free-agent Kevon Looney. He's only 23 and could be a good fit with Zion Williamson.

BUT the Warriors are hoping to lock up Looney quickly, I'm told. More:https://www.facebook.com/seandeveney...type=3&theater

1:24 PM - Jun 27, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

70 people are talking about this

During the 2018-19 regular season, Looney averaged 6.3 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.5 assists while shooting 62.5 percent from the field and 61.9 percent from the free-throw line. The Warriors could lose both DeMarcus Cousins and Andrew Bogut this offseason, so keeping Looney is a priority for the Dubs. Cousins and Bogut become unrestricted free agents this summer, just like Looney.

In the 2019 playoffs, Looney put up 7.1 points and 4.5 rebounds. He earned a lot of respect throughout the league after playing in the NBA Finals on a fractured collarbone which he suffered in Game 2 against the Toronto Raptors.

The Warriors’ main objective this summer is obviously to re-sign both Kevin Durant and Klay Thompson. Thompson is widely expected to be back, while the future of Durant is unknown. Golden State would hate to lose Looney to the Pelicans or Rockets, especially Houston.

The Rockets and Warriors have developed a rivalry over the past few seasons.
    https://youtu.be/RHmKQXe2quY
    https://youtu.be/E6aR1-dI-l0
    https://youtu.be/Wjs7L1SGje8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Let's goooo. Big Looney fan. He'd be such a good piece to this team.

Watching him on defense and he can actually shoot a little I’m a little interested .

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Why? Why let Chieck go and sign Looney?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Why? Why let Chieck go and sign Looney?
    Statistically they're almost the same guy. Chieck scored slightly more on avg but everything else is pretty close. I thought Looney was taller he's 6'9, which is the same height as Cheick.

So IDK man.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Statistically they're almost the same guy. Chieck scored slightly more on avg but everything else is pretty close. I thought Looney was taller he's 6'9, which is the same height as Cheick.

So IDK man.
    Would imagine that defense is the answer. These highlights show he can guard 1 through 5 - stays in front of the Rockets guards incredibly well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6aR1-dI-l0
    Last edited by pr1840; 06-28-2019 at 10:15 AM.

I like Chieck Diallo, I would rather keep Diallo on a smaller contract for a few more years to see how his jumper develops, but he's just a great hustle guy and has gotten better every time we give him minutes! He was also money from inside 10 ft. I like looney too, but we already know what we have in Diallo, and we would have to overpay to get looney, Diallo in my opinion has a higher ceiling, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Captaustin View Post
    I like Chieck Diallo, I would rather keep Diallo on a smaller contract for a few more years to see how his jumper develops, but he's just a great hustle guy and has gotten better every time we give him minutes! He was also money from inside 10 ft. I like looney too, but we already know what we have in Diallo, and we would have to overpay to get looney, Diallo in my opinion has a higher ceiling, but I could be wrong.
    Diallo is light years behind Looney. He just seems lost when he is in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    This

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    This

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Looney > Diallo no question. I hope we get him. Our team will have guys who can guard almost every position. Zion, Looney, Hayes, Ball, Jrue... I like NAW defense potential as well. Wow. I like the plan!

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    This

Yes

We only have 15 roster spots. Giving Diallo another couple years on the team to develop on the off chance that he gets better is robbing another player of a spot that can come in and contribute already.

This isn't the NFL with practice squad spots where we can just park Diallo for a few years. We've got 4 rookies drafted (3 that will for sure be with the team) plus Lonzo, Ball, Hart needing development. Not to mention 2nd year guys like Jackson, Williams, and Woods.

That's 9+ spots right there already spent on developing players. Diallo just isn't a priority right now. If he can get a deal with another team that had the space to develop him then that's great. But we aren't in the position to just be giving up roster spots.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

So IDK man.
    Right so given that Diallo would be significantly cheaper just confuses me.

I like it . Let us hope he is not like Ian Clark

GS will do what they can to keep him and without having to pay KD they'll have money for Looney.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Griff has said he wants Pels to be the first team to be able to defend at the pace they play at offensively. Looney's ability to defend multiple positions fits that to a tee.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Right so given that Diallo would be significantly cheaper just confuses me.
    Bc just bc two guys have similar statistics doesn’t mean they are even close to being the same player?

Quote Originally Posted by Saints#34 View Post
    Bc just bc two guys have similar statistics doesn’t mean they are even close to being the same player?

I get what you're saying... I didn't think Chieck "looked" the best out there but at the end of the day he produced at the same rate as Looney did, and he didn't play as many minutes/games as Looney did.

I uploaded the wrong image (had Looney's playoff numbers) and I can't delete it from my post. I think this is the one with the regular season numbers. My apologies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chieck36a.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	6457
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chieck36.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	6456  
    Last edited by DroopyDawg; 06-28-2019 at 03:51 PM.

I get what you're saying... I didn't think Chieck "looked" the best out there but at the end of the day he produced at the same rate as Looney did, and he didn't play as many minutes/games as Looney did.

I uploaded the wrong image (had Looney's playoff numbers) and I can't delete it from my post. I think this is the one with the regular season numbers. My apologies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chieck36a.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	6457
    I mean I was really making just a general point, I haven’t watched Looney play at all and can’t comment on their similarities or differences. I’m just saying, comparing two guys’ stat lines is not really any way to compare their production or potential.

I enjoyed watching Diallo play but even with my very limited knowledge of the game I could tell he was still raw as anything even last year. He’s athletic and talented and he might turn out alright but he’s not some blue chip prospect we can’t let go of. Guys like that churn on rosters until it clicks, that goes for all major sports. We have a lot of youth on this team, all of them won’t develop and some will develop elsewhere. If the staff sees something in someone else instead have to trust what they see.

Example of someone where it clicked elsewhere would be Aminu. An example of someone whom it never clicked for would be Julian Wright or Hilton Armstrong.

Thread Information