Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Let's Dance Trademarked

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He said it. He should be the one who gets anything for it becoming a thing.

Does David Bowie's estate have any say in the matter? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    He said it. He should be the one who gets anything for it becoming a thing.
    I agree that if it gets trademarked, Zion should be the guy to profit and control that trademark.

I just think it's absurd that a common, 2 word phrase that's been in use for decades and decades and decades (probably even hundreds of years) can become the intellectual property of an individual.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    Best Pelz slogan in years. The thing I like most about it is that Zion thought of it when he was put on the spot about sending a message to Pelz fans at Draft Fest. I like slogans that arise organically.
    Actually his friend said it when they went to see Avengers End Game at the point where all the dead heroes returned. Zion said this in an interview. That’s where he adopted the phrase.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I mean, Zion is hardly the first person to ever say that phrase in this sort of context.

But that doesn't matter.

Yeah. 100 words of poetry......20 words....I'm not sure where exactly I draw the line....I just know that a two word combination that has been used for centuries, all kinds of sporting and action movie monikers, and even, as pointed out, a very famous Bowie song should never be allowed to be copyrighted.

But really, though. Like. If this goes through, some 8th grade kid could write on a poster board "Let's Dance" while he's asking a girl out and Zion's legal team can show up and be like "not in my house"?

A senior nursing home is hosting a salsa dance night themed "let's dance" and the Zion legal team starts asking for royalties?

This is why I club baby seals.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 07-18-2019 at 10:03 PM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Yeah. 100 words of poetry......20 words....I'm not sure where exactly I draw the line....I just know that a two word combination that has been used for centuries, all kinds of sporting and action movie monikers, and even, as pointed out, a very famous Bowie song should never be allowed to be copyrighted.

But really, though. Like. If this goes through, some 8th grade kid could write on a poster board "Let's Dance" while he's asking a girl out and Zion's legal team can show up and be like "not in my house"?

A senior nursing home is hosting a salsa dance night themed "let's dance" and the Zion legal team starts asking for royalties?

This is why I club baby seals.
    In fairness, I'm pretty sure that no court would ever actually enforce payment on an 8th grader for writing ''Let's Dance'' on a poster board.

I'm pretty sure, and again, not super up on U.S. intellectual property laws so I could be wrong, trademarking for slogans and images and stuff only really becomes legally enforceable if the infringee (if that's even a word) could plausibly be confused for the original (in case of things which are nigh-on-identical) or in cases of marketing and profiting. I'm fairly sure that's how it works in the UK, anyway. That is, if you just used the slogan in general, you wouldn't be in trouble, but if you used the slogan to sell basketball shoes, there would be a reasonable expectation from the customer to assume that said shoes had a connection to Zion, and would therefore infringe the trademark. Or if you used it as the tagline to Space Jam 2. That kind of thing.

Still ridiculous. But no 83 year olds will be hit with lawsuits for salsa night.

Quote Originally Posted by PelDave View Post
    Does David Bowie's estate have any say in the matter? LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    David Bowie (rest his soul) would approve...

True story. When I hear “let’s dance” I’m thinking Bowie, not Zion.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    But what if Zions first signature shoes are red and they make you think of both?

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    But what if Zions first signature shoes are red and they make you think of both?
    Only acceptable if Zion shows impeccable blues dancing abilities.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    You wanna know a great way to ruin something? Bring money into the equation.

Every.Damn.Time.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    True Story- When I hear let's dance , I think of Dangerfield on the golf course in Cadsyshack!

I think Lady Gaga!

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    It would have to be red and white (like what Vans has done with their Bowie collection).

Thread Information