Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: The Lakers have their 3rd man?

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Laker Fans already talking about getting Zion in 7 years. Don't mind them a thought.
    It's kind of just what they do. They don't draft stars that often, they don't get them in free agency that often. They feel like they are owed superstars. Can't really argue with entitlement like that.
    Basketball.

And the NBA just bows down to it. Can’t fine Lebron? It’s like they have told him to do whatever he wants. Tampering rules don’t apply to him.

The NBA will be better when Lebron is gone. AD and Durant are too beta to create the same environment as Lebron. The other Alpha's don't have the power to force the issue like Lebron does or they have a different personality that doesn't typically lead to them doing the same thing.

Unless someone develops out of nowhere into that Lebron level star with the same personality to force his will on the league we've got another 4-5 years then things hopefully will balance back out.

I want a competitive league, not one built around 1 or 2 super teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The NBA will be better when Lebron is gone. AD and Durant are too beta to create the same environment as Lebron. The other Alpha's don't have the power to force the issue like Lebron does or they have a different personality that doesn't typically lead to them doing the same thing.

Unless someone develops out of nowhere into that Lebron level star with the same personality to force his will on the league we've got another 4-5 years then things hopefully will balance back out.

I want a competitive league, not one built around 1 or 2 super teams.
    Well, his personality is different but someone who can develop into a Lebron level star?

Ziiiiiiiiiiiiion

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Well, his personality is different but someone who can develop into a Lebron level star?

Ziiiiiiiiiiiiion
    That's the thing though right, Zion's personality at least right now, is pretty different than LeBron’s.

It also brings up a few other issues with the League. Players are always arguing for more money however the money has gotten so high that some players are actively turning down tens of millions of dollars in an attempt to form super teams. Next CBA is going to be interesting because owners have to feel frustrated that players can turn down 40m+ and hurt the entire competitive balance of the league and still be mega millionaires.

I just see the owners pushing hard for some type of franchise tag for a player where they can hold onto their right exclusively if this keeps on going.

That's the thing though right, Zion's personality at least right now, is pretty different than LeBron’s.

It also brings up a few other issues with the League. Players are always arguing for more money however the money has gotten so high that some players are actively turning down tens of millions of dollars in an attempt to form super teams. Next CBA is going to be interesting because owners have to feel frustrated that players can turn down 40m+ and hurt the entire competitive balance of the league and still be mega millionaires.

I just see the owners pushing hard for some type of franchise tag for a player where they can hold onto their right exclusively if this keeps on going.
    I'm not an NFL guy so I don't really know how a franchise tag would work. It sounds like a team could designate a player as theirs, and the player would have no choice but to play for them for their entire career. Which I don't really like very much. I tend to side with the players over the ownership, and I don't like the idea of an owner being able to control the abilities of the players to make their own choices.

I'm not an NFL guy so I don't really know how a franchise tag would work. It sounds like a team could designate a player as theirs, and the player would have no choice but to play for them for their entire career. Which I don't really like very much. I tend to side with the players over the ownership, and I don't like the idea of an owner being able to control the abilities of the players to make their own choices.
    The franchise tag allows a team to pay a player basically an average of the top 3 (I think) salaries at their position. It allows the team to protect themselves from a player being able to just walk away for nothing and drastically reduce the value of the overall team.

If the NFL which has a roster of over 50 can recognize that one single player can be so valuable that they put provisions in their agreement to protect the franchise, I simply don't see how NBA teams with a roster of 15 can't start to move to something similar.

Either that or move to a hard salary cap that cannot be crossed and all teams must stay below.

I'm not arguing that a team should be able to control a player for his entire life, one of the unspoken rules of the NFL franchise tag is teams only use it for a single year on a player and never do the same player back to back years, I do think however that the Supermax has been a total and utter failure in helping small market teams keep franchise players and something else needs to be implemented.

Maybe allow two rounds of restricted free agency for a player you draft instead of just on their first contract. Maybe only allow one player to sign for more than 25% of the cap on a team to force players to have to walk away from even more money to create super teams.

I'm not arguing that a team should be able to control a player for his entire life, one of the unspoken rules of the NFL franchise tag is teams only use it for a single year on a player and never do the same player back to back years, I do think however that the Supermax has been a total and utter failure in helping small market teams keep franchise players and something else needs to be implemented.

Maybe allow two rounds of restricted free agency for a player you draft instead of just on their first contract. Maybe only allow one player to sign for more than 25% of the cap on a team to force players to have to walk away from even more money to create super teams.
    I see, that makes a degree of sense.

I like the idea of the double restricted free agency, that could work. It would also allow for easier S&T deals, I would imagine, which would help out teams which have a good relationship with their star who still wants to leave but isn't looking to screw over their old franchise.

I also like the idea of rewarding players of a certain stature with post-career rights. Obviously the team owners would never do this and it's a complete fantasy, but I like the idea that if you have at least 10 or 12 years service with a team, and have won a Finals MVP award with that franchise, you receive a bonus in the form of some amount of ownership shares upon retirement. That would make, for example, Wade eligible for some degree of ownership shares in the Heat, Lebron for the Cavs. Obviously, only top tier players would ever achieve that goal, so it would really be exclusive to superstars. I'd imagine that for some players, that would make them more inclined to go the Dirk route and hang around trying to win with a single team for their entire career.

That's probably a godawful idea, and I'm just thinking of it now at 6:48am after having not slept all night so... maybe it's just rambling nonsense.

I have long been a proponent of a hard cap. The crap like the Warriors do annually by exceeding the cap and just paying the luxury tax is allowing the teams with wealthier owners or better local TV contracts to just buy additional cap space in order to field a better team. Guaranteed contracts make a hard cap more difficult because injuries could derail a team. Therefore, the league would have to work on better exemptions for injuries so that teams could remain competitive in that situation.

According to Woj Leoanard and KD are discussing playing together which would be great for us if true. It would be Knicks or Clippers

Boy this is really egg on the face of the NFL. Nobody in that area cares about Rams or Chargers.

It's kind of just what they do. They don't draft stars that often, they don't get them in free agency that often. They feel like they are owed superstars. Can't really argue with entitlement like that.
    well let's look at how they have gotten their all time greats and hofers since Kareem:

Kareem- trade, *but* this was a situation where he said he was only prefered going to one of two teams(them or the knicks), so while it was a trade the fact that they were the Lakers held most of the sway. And Kareem having won them two titles they wanted to accommodate him. This being pre-free agency, of course they weren't going to get him this way. And of course they weren't going to get him by draft since they were a great team when he came out of college and he was the greatest college player ever. So there only chance to get kareem was to do so by trade, and their being the lakers was mostly why they did get him by trade.

Magic- drafted(#1, got this pick in a trade)

Worthy- drafted(#1, got this pick in a trade)

Shaq- Free agent

Kobe- drafted mid first round(technically by charlotte, but the lakers acquired him from cha on draft night so they essentially drafted him)

Pau- trade

Dwight Howard(not really an impact *for them* but at time he was considered a big acquisition)- trade

Lebron- FA

AD- trade, but some similarities with Kareem. He had one year left on contract and was artificially limited the market by wanting the lakers.

If you include people like Payton and Malone, these were FA's. But I don't because they were only around for a year(I think?) and were obviously at end of career. Didn't include Nash as a trade for same reason.

Overall it's a mixed bag...they've drafted two of the top 10 players ever, which is more(I guess boston could also say this, but much earlier for Russell) than every other team in the league. They've drafted another HOF player(worthy). They acquired two HOF players by trade who went on to be pivotal pieces for them(Kareem, Pau) and likely another with AD. And two all time greats by FA. So multiple each ways...

One of the reasons they likely haven't drafted more great players is that due to the all time greats they did draft(magic, kobe) and paired with all time greats they acquired in trades(Kareem before magic, then Shaq before kobe) they had such long runs where they were never drafting high.

Clearly part of how the Lakers acquire hof players in their primes in trades(Kareem, Pau, now AD) is because they are the lakers. I can't remember the pau details and whether he really wanted to play for LA, but Kareem and now AD of course both made a point to pick the lakers as their destination. The bucks worked with Kareem to facilitate this, and in the case of AD we were obviously looking at other teams but him hinting that he would likely resign with the lakers probably made other teams not want to pay a ton for a possible 1 year player.....so the lakers get 'credit' for being the lakers in these cases.

Regardless of how they get them though(and as I show above they've gotten multiple hof level players all three ways), what is clear is that the lakers more than any other team consistently find a way to get all time greats to play for them. Usually multiple all time greats at once.

Thread Information