Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lonzo Ball will be the the real deal here in NOLA

Lonzo Ball will be the the real deal here in NOLA

I’m here to tell you he will be a great asset to the Gentry system. The issues he has last season were injuries. Luke Walton put to much on him. LA was not the right system. You will really like the guy. He was MVP of Summer League .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o4E0CsE6LIc

I already do and have been a Lonzo defender in the past

If he stays, I will pull for him and hope he improves the parts of his game that are sorely lacking. I will hope his family sideshow stays far away from New Orleans and the Pelicans. I will hope that his defensive ability and passing skills far outweigh concerns about his shooting (especially FTs). I have nothing whatsoever against the young man and wish him nothing but the best. Gentry's scheme should fit his skillset, but until he learns to shoot, I hope he is all about facilitating.

I think Lonzo will be a good fit as well but he needs to work on those free throws. Someone please pass that word to him. please.

I'll say it until it happens: he needs to fix his free throw percentage to at least 60%, and he needs to fix his three point shot to become at least average.

BUT.

I do agree that he's a very good passer, especially in transition, and a very talented defender with great size at the PG position. He cuts pretty well also. If any coach is going to maximise his abilities in the full-court setting, it will be Gentry.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    I think Lonzo will be a good fit as well but he needs to work on those free throws. Someone please pass that word to him. please.
    Ya'll forget we have Fred Vinson on this staff. Hopefully he can work some wonders.

If I were him I would be working on it from dawn to dusk. EVERYDAY

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'll say it until it happens: he needs to fix his free throw percentage to at least 60%, and he needs to fix his three point shot to become at least average.

BUT.

I do agree that he's a very good passer, especially in transition, and a very talented defender with great size at the PG position. He cuts pretty well also. If any coach is going to maximise his abilities in the full-court setting, it will be Gentry.

In this video dude says that Lonzo already had been shooting like 42% from three when he's played between 30-39 min so it could be that he already has a decent three shot when he's allowed to get into rhythm but Luke Walton just wasn't playing him enough to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshinePumper View Post

In this video dude says that Lonzo already had been shooting like 42% from three when he's played between 30-39 min so it could be that he already has a decent three shot when he's allowed to get into rhythm but Luke Walton just wasn't playing him enough to do that.
    I think there's a kind of statistical switcheroo going on here. It's not that he shoots well when he gets higher minutes, it's that he gets higher minutes when he's shooting well.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It’s like the Saints who run the ball more when they’re winning becoming to when they need to run the ball more to win.

I like what Lonzo Ball will add to Zion's game. They are made for each other. Jaxon Hayes will benefit from it as well. I like this core better than any young group we have had since I started following the hornets in 2002. Ball is a big part of that.

Get in the gym and work on that jumper young man

Shamit tweeting about Lonzo today

and now mcmillan is back. He worked with the guards the last stint in NO.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Get in the gym and work on that jumper young man
    There aren't many guys who come into the league as spotty shooters who then go on to become great ones. Gary Payton comes to mind as an exception, but most players never make a dramatic shift. That being said, John Wall was an all-star despite never being a great shooter because he has so many other aspects to his game. Lonzo can still contribute to the Pels in significant ways even if he never quite figures out the formula to fix his erratic jumper.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Teal Lantern View Post
    There aren't many guys who come into the league as spotty shooters who then go on to become great ones. Gary Payton comes to mind as an exception, but most players never make a dramatic shift. That being said, John Wall was an all-star despite never being a great shooter because he has so many other aspects to his game. Lonzo can still contribute to the Pels in significant ways even if he never quite figures out the formula to fix his erratic jumper.
    That's true, and unless he completely re-does his entire shooting form (unlikely, given how long he's been doing it this way), he will probably never be a great shooter from deep. Still, he should try. Maybe one day he can be league average, and I'd take that.

He can fix his free throws though. He'll probably never be a 90% FT guy or anything, but it doesn't have to be 41%. Andre Drummond used to shoot 38% from the FT line, and he worked on it a lot, and now he shoots around 60%. That's still not great, but it's undoubtedly much better. If he can make that jump, I'd be extremely glad.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-27-2019 at 01:12 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    How will they run the pnr with Lonzo not being a good shooter? The more he improves his shot the more likely he becomes a star. I really like Lonzo and I think if he can stay healthy and improve his shooting we will be a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually there are quite a few guys who come into the league as poor shooters and become at least average from behind the arc. Many. It’s a skill that can be developed. Just off the top of my head I’d point to a number of the free agents or trade targets people covet this summer who couldn’t shoot a lick from distance coming into the league, including Kawahi, Horford, Lopez, Griffin, Turner, Dedmond. Even all timers like LeBron and Jason Kidd had to develop their shots. Kidd started off nicknamed “Ason” because he had no “J” and retired as one the league’s all time leaders in 3 pointers....
    Last edited by new city champ; 06-27-2019 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Actually there are quite a few guys who come into the league as poor shooters and become at least average from behind the arc. Many. It’s a skill that can be developed. Just off the top of my head I’d point to a number of the free agents or trade targets people covet this summer who couldn’t shoot a lick from distance coming into the league, including Kawahi, Horford, Lopez, Griffin, Turner, Dedmond. Even all timers like LeBron and Jason Kidd had to develop their shots. Kidd started off nicknamed “Ason” because he had no “J” and retired as one the league’s all time leaders in 3 pointers....
    Lebron still can't shoot, so he's not a great example.

The difference is: how many of those players who ''couldn't shoot a lick'' actually tried? Lopez, for example, took precisely 31 threes over his first 487 career games. His skill set didn't include shooting, but at least part of that was because he wasn't trying. The first season he started actually shooting, he shot 34.6% on nearly 400 attempts. That was his first year even trying.

Similarly, if you look at Dedmon, he attempted 1 three in his first 224 games. Then, two seasons ago, he started shooting threes and immediately in his first year as a ''stretch 5'', shot 35.5% on 141 attempts.

Lonzo started throwing up a LOT of threes as soon as he got into the league. He's played 99 total career games and taken 523 threes already, and shot 31.5% on them.

Did any of the other guys you named ever shoot that badly from behind the arc while actively trying to be a shooter? Or did they just not have shooting as part of their game, like Dedmon and Lopez?

Also, what are you talking about saying Kawhi shot badly early in his career? He shot at least 37% from three in each of his first three seasons.

Edit: of course, Jason Kidd did shoot a lot of threes early, that is true. I give you that one. Kidd wasn't a consistent league average shooter until he was in his thirties though, so hopefully Lonzo isn't taking that path.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-27-2019 at 03:18 AM.

The Franchise
    Excellent on ball defender and elite court vision on the break.. You guys are going to love Zo's unselfishness.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    Excellent on ball defender and elite court vision on the break.. You guys are going to love Zo's unselfishness.
    Ya i think Zo will be fun to watch but he needs to work on those free throws fo sho.

The Franchise
    Ya i think Zo will be fun to watch but he needs to work on those free throws fo sho.
    Yep it's a problem. He understands this which is comforting.

I’m all for Ball as long as he is all I’m here. This is something Griffin and Langdon will has to figure out. The Lakers were one of the best defensive teams in the NBA until Lonzo got hurt. He is a 6’6 Simmons but has actually shown he has some hope in a jump shot. Lonzo in 20+ games starting and playing 30+ minutes averaged 47% FG and 43% from 3pt. He can be an all star PG that is perfect for this team and Gentry’s system if he just continues to develop at the FT like and from 3pt. I think a lot of his problems were with the Lakers changing his jumper multiple times and not allowing him to just concentrate and build muscle memory with his form. Another completely under rated player that can be a star. Again nothing about Lonzo on the court scares me and I believe he is a perfect fit going forward. For me it’s his dad not coming off the henges and taking shots at us along with Lonzo fully buying into our team. I think Jrue could be a great mentor for him as well! Future is bright!

OG Hornets Fan - Est. 1988 TxAggie713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonzo4MVP View Post
    I’m here to tell you he will be a great asset to the Gentry system. The issues he has last season were injuries. Luke Walton put to much on him. LA was not the right system. You will really like the guy. He was MVP of Summer League .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o4E0CsE6LIc
    At the end of the day, nobody can say Lonzo cannot have the same type of career Jason Kidd did. The Age 21 season comparisons are uncanny. I think Lonzo surprises a lot of people given the chance to run in Gentry's system with guys like Jrue and Zion around him. #HOFer, can't tell me today that he's for sure not. Click to the right to compare those Age 21 Seasons -->Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kiddzo.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	6454

Thread Information