Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using the cap space as a salary dump from another team?

Using the cap space as a salary dump from another team?

I mentioned this in another thread but I am becoming more convinced this would be the best use of our cap space(realistically). Ideally it would be a contract with two years or less, and the player is still serviceable as a rotation piece, i.e. Mason Plumlee. What do you guys think, and what are some realistic options beyond the ones Kevin Barrios suggested?

I couldn't agree more. We should be an asset accumulation mode.

It seems like with the rumors of a big offer for Horford we are more in “win some now also” mode. I’d love to stockpile some more picks but I understand the desire to put something together now too. This team as constructed is not that far off from a playoff team and we already have a lot of future draft capital and assets. More is always better but there’s a balance there.

I certainly don’t want to be a losing team for Zions developmental years. I want him to taste some success here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. Let’s put some names to this list:

Hassan Whiteside - 1 yr 27 mill
    James Johnson - 2yr 31 mill
    Tyler Johnson - 1 yr 19 mill
    Chris Paul - 3 yr 124 mill
    John Wall - 4 yr 170 mill
    Kevin Love - 4 yr 120 mill
    Andrew Wiggins - 4 yr 122 mill
    Chandler Parsons - 1yr 25 mill
    Steven Adams - 2 yr 50 mill (not really a bad contract)

Any other really good ones. I need to look at teams over the luxury tax.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I'd add Andre Roberson to the list, I believe Thunder want to move him.

Those contracts are enough to get some GMs fired, but they don’t get fired, they just get played by better GMs like a Griff.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by cmariaou View Post
    Ok. Let’s put some names to this list:

Hassan Whiteside - 1 yr 27 mill
    James Johnson - 2yr 31 mill
    Tyler Johnson - 1 yr 19 mill
    Chris Paul - 3 yr 124 mill
    John Wall - 4 yr 170 mill
    Kevin Love - 4 yr 120 mill
    Andrew Wiggins - 4 yr 122 mill
    Chandler Parsons - 1yr 25 mill
    Steven Adams - 2 yr 50 mill (not really a bad contract)

Any other really good ones. I need to look at teams over the luxury tax.
    I would not take on anything over 2 years. Gallinari at $22 million next year is also a possibility. Dunn could be had for next to nothing as well.

I would be ok with Adams. He's actually worth his contract since he's a very good player. But OKC has to move players since they're way over the cap and they can't move the worst contract on the team which is a declining Westbrook. If they would give us Jerami Grant with it and we send back Etwaun, I would definitely do it. We'd be a playoff team with Jerami Grant and Adams on this team.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I would not take on anything over 2 years. Gallinari at $22 million next year is also a possibility. Dunn could be had for next to nothing as well.
    Absolutely agree with almost any trade/signing we make.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Serge Ibaka

Add me to the list of people who are not interested at all in anything over two years. That means Love, Wall and his absurd deal, CP3, and Andrew Wiggins' filthy deal are all complete none-starters.

I've mentioned my appreciation for the Steven Adams trade elsewhere, I feel like if we aren't going for a shooter it has to be a center, because that's the only position where we are lacking a starting quality player and it's also the position where we are most in need of a veteran mentor.

I wouldn't mind Ibaka too much, although I can't pretend I love it as much as the Adams deal just because I feel like Adams is more fundamentally sound than Ibaka is and would be a better big-man-mentor for Hayes in terms of boxing out, screen setting, etc. Ibaka would be helpful in the more offensive sides of the game though, so that's there. Ibaka's older but he's only a one year guy too so I think you can kind of quibble about which would be better in that respect for us to take on.
    Basketball.

I like the idea of shipping out some 2nd rounders for Derek Favors. He isn’t a bad player, the Jazz just want Horford, and moving Favors is the only way to do that.

I wonder how much the Heat would give up to take on the James Johnson contract. He regressed bit time last year, and I am sure Pat wants to start getting off some of those albatross contracts in order to head in a different direction. They don’t have there 2021 first, I wonder if we could coax a 2023 first out of them(I am sure it would have some sort of protections on it). Or maybe we could get Winslow out of it if we took back Johnson’s contract, I still view him as an asset. Winslow has got 2 years left with a team option in 21/22.
    Last edited by bogiesfedora; 06-25-2019 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Add me to the list of people who are not interested at all in anything over two years. That means Love, Wall and his absurd deal, CP3, and Andrew Wiggins' filthy deal are all complete none-starters.

I've mentioned my appreciation for the Steven Adams trade elsewhere, I feel like if we aren't going for a shooter it has to be a center, because that's the only position where we are lacking a starting quality player and it's also the position where we are most in need of a veteran mentor.

I wouldn't mind Ibaka too much, although I can't pretend I love it as much as the Adams deal just because I feel like Adams is more fundamentally sound than Ibaka is and would be a better big-man-mentor for Hayes in terms of boxing out, screen setting, etc. Ibaka would be helpful in the more offensive sides of the game though, so that's there. Ibaka's older but he's only a one year guy too so I think you can kind of quibble about which would be better in that respect for us to take on.
    Do you think OKC would actually pay to get off of Adams though?

Quote Originally Posted by bogiesfedora View Post
    Do you think OKC would actually pay to get off of Adams though?
    I don't think they'll have to. He's still a productive player and there is a lot of cap space in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I don't think they'll have to. He's still a productive player and there is a lot of cap space in the market.
    That was kind of my thought. I would prefer actually getting assets back to take on a garbage contract if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bogiesfedora View Post
    That was kind of my thought. I would prefer actually getting assets back to take on a garbage contract if possible.
    Just depends on what the assets are. I'm over 2nd round picks. I want to establish a culture of winning and every game being important. Taking on a garbage contract, likely means using cap space on a less productive player than it could otherwise be used on.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Just depends on what the assets are. I'm over 2nd round picks. I want to establish a culture of winning and every game being important. Taking on a garbage contract, likely means using cap space on a less productive player than it could otherwise be used on.
    If we can’t get a first or a younger somewhat promising player (i.e. Justice Winslow type) then I wouldn’t wanna do it. This Summer seems to be setting up to be an arms race I just think there are going to be deals to take advantage of teams trying to clear more space. Zach Lowe said with the Oubre cap hold PHX is operating on 14-15 million in cap space and openly covet Russell. I would be really exploring that avenue to take on the last year of Tyler Johnson’s contract, maybe its not Bridges but a protected future first.

I would love to get Joe Harris for a 2nd from the Nets and maybe Kris Dunn for a protected 2nd. That would still leave us $20 million to spend.

I would love to get Joe Harris for a 2nd from the Nets and maybe Kris Dunn for a protected 2nd. That would still leave us $20 million to spend.
    You could probably get Dunn for a second, although I don't think he'd do much for us since we already have two defensive guards who can't shoot who are miles better than him. Harris would almost certainly cost more. Dude was lights out last year.

My dream scenario is us taking on the last year of Tyler Johnson's absolutely atrocious contract and taking Mikal Bridges as the sweetener. The Suns look like they're trying to clear cap space (and, in typical Suns fashion doing a horrible job of it) so freeing up something like $20 mil should be worth something to them. I think we'd have to send out a minor asset or 2 because I think Bridge's positive value to them outweighs Johnson's negative value. But if we gave them a few of our extra seconds and maybe Frank, I still think I do that deal without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    You could probably get Dunn for a second, although I don't think he'd do much for us since we already have two defensive guards who can't shoot who are miles better than him. Harris would almost certainly cost more. Dude was lights out last year.
    Rumor was the Nets were trying to dump Harris to create cap space after KD and Irving.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    My dream scenario is us taking on the last year of Tyler Johnson's absolutely atrocious contract and taking Mikal Bridges as the sweetener. The Suns look like they're trying to clear cap space (and, in typical Suns fashion doing a horrible job of it) so freeing up something like $20 mil should be worth something to them. I think we'd have to send out a minor asset or 2 because I think Bridge's positive value to them outweighs Johnson's negative value. But if we gave them a few of our extra seconds and maybe Frank, I still think I do that deal without hesitation.
    Highly doubtful they would use Bridges just to dump Johnson though.

Rumor was the Nets were trying to dump Harris to create cap space after KD and Irving.
    If Harris came available I seriously hope we pull the trigger on that trade.

OKC Thunder:
    Salary Dumps:
     Andre Roberson – 1 yr 10.7 mil
     Jerami Grant – 2yr 18.6 mil

Positive Assets:
     Steven Adams – 2 yr 53.4 mil
     Dennis Schroeder – 2 yr 31 mil

Cleveland:
    Salary Dumps:
     Kevin Love – 4 yr 120 mil
     Tristan Thompson – 1 yr 18.5 mil
     Brandon Knight – 1 yr 15.6 mil
     Larry Nance Jr. – 3 yr 35.1 mil

Positive Assets (Kinda):
     Jordan Clarkson – 1 yr 13.5 mil
     John Henson – 1 yr 9.7 mil
     Matthew Dellavedova – 1 yr 9.6 mil

Rockets:
    Salary Dumps:
     Chris Paul – 3 yr 124 mil

Positive Assets:
     Clint Capela – 4 yr 74 mil

Portland:
    Positive Assets:
     Mo Harkless – 1 yr 11.5 mil
     Meyers Leonard – 1 yr 11.3 mil

Detroit:
    Salary Dumps:
     Reggie Jackson – 1 yr 18 mil
     Tony Snell – 2 yr 23.5 mil

Positive Assets:
     Blake Griffen – 3 yr 110 mil
     Andre Drummond – 2 yr 55.7 mil

Miami Heat:
    Salary Dumps:
     Hassan Whiteside – 1 yr 27 mil
     James Johnson – 2 yr 31 mil
     Dion Waiters – 2 yr 27 mil
     Kelly Olynk – 2 yr 26 mil

Positive Assets:
     Gorgan Dragic – 1 yr 19.2 mil

Toronto:
    Positive Assets:
     Marc Gasol – 1 yr 25.6 mil
     Serge Ibaka – 1yr 23.3 mil

Charlotte:
    Salary Dumps:
     Nicolas Batum – 2 yr 53 mil
     Bismack Biyombo – 1 yr 17 mil
     Cody Zeller – 2 yr 30 mil
     Michael Kidd-Gilchrist – 1 yr 13 mil

Positive Assets:
     Marvin Williams – 1 yr 15 mil

Denver:
    Positive Assets:
     Mason Plumlee – 1 yr 14 mil

Memphis:
    Salary Dumps:
     Chandler Parsons – 1 yr 25 mil

Milwaukee:
    Salary Dumps:
     Jon Leuer – 1 yr 9.5 mil

Positive Assets:
     George Hill – 1 yr 18 mil
     Ersan LLyasova – 2 yr 14 mil

Orlando:
    Salary Dumps:
     Timofey Mozgov – 1 yr 16.7 mil

Chicago Bulls:
    Positive Assets:
     Otto Porter – 2 yr 56 mil
     Zach Lavine – 3 yr 58.5 mil

Phoenix Suns:
    Salary Dumps:
     Tyler Johnson – 1 yr 19 mil
     Josh Jackson – 2 yr 16 mil

That is the full sellers trade market in my opinion. What do you think? Who do you want, if anyone?

Thread Information