.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 42 of 42

Thread: Horford or Harris

  1. #26
    THINK Contributor redrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Old Metairie
    Posts
    730
    Al Horford is the perfect player for this team.

    Look at his #'s every year of his career, similar but very adaptable depending on what his team needs.
    He has an old man type of game that should age well.

    Now I get you guys don't want to overpay in years or money, in a fair world the Pels wouldn't have to. but..
    if you want to change the culture, this is the type of player you want.
    A leader, a successful professional teacher who can still play, and a person NBA players respect.

    But most importantly signing him, and him being successful and happy in New Orleans would be the signal to the NBA that things have changed here,
    and hopefully lead to players considering the Pels as a destination in the future.

    Overpaying this player in years or money could be the way to open the door to the future just a little wider.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    Overpaying this player in years or money could be the way to open the door to the future just a little wider.
    Only in terms of money. If you overpay him in money, that's fine. If you overpay him in years, you ''open the door to the future'' in one way, but close that same door in another way by destroying your long term cap.
    Zion ''The Earthquake'' Williamson

  3. #28
    THINK Contributor redrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Old Metairie
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Only in terms of money. If you overpay him in money, that's fine. If you overpay him in years, you ''open the door to the future'' in one way, but close that same door in another way by destroying your long term cap.
    Until players consider signing here there will be no discounts from them in years or money, they need to sign that first player that can change the narrative on New Orleans.

    Horford might be that player.

    A team can have all the money and flexibility in the world, but if no one wants it, the organization is screwed.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    Until players consider signing here there will be no discounts from them in years or money, they need to sign that first player that can change the narrative on New Orleans, Horford might be that player.
    A team can have all the money and flexibility in the world, but if no one wants it, the organization is screwed.
    It's kind of being stuck between a rock in a hard place because if you sign, say, Horford to a 4yr $120m contract or something, then maybe that changes the narrative but it wouldn't mean anything for 3+ years because we wouldn't have any cash to sign free agents anyway.

  5. #30
    Id rather use the money that we would have to pay either Horford or Harris for both Brook Lopez (2 years at $18 million a year) and Nikola Mirotic (2 or 3 years at $14 million a year). We could then use our exception on a 1-2 year deal for a backup PG.

  6. #31
    I like Horford and think he's maybe the best fit of any player in the league for this roster right now. Well run teams sign the big players while developing talent, and accumulating assets. look no further than SA with Lamarcus, Boston with Horford or Denver with Millsap. The way rookie contracts are there's plenty of cap room to sign vets and still maintain flexibility. If he'll take a 3 year 100 million contract give it to him.

    But I would not give him any kind of 4th year. That's the last year of rookie contract Zion. And if that contract becomes untradeable in a year it becomes a serious mistake that could keep NO from resigning it's pwn players or adding talent to the roster.

  7. #32
    THINK Contributor redrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Old Metairie
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It's kind of being stuck between a rock in a hard place because if you sign, say, Horford to a 4yr $120m contract or something, then maybe that changes the narrative but it wouldn't mean anything for 3+ years because we wouldn't have any cash to sign free agents anyway.
    But in 3 plus years when hopefully Zion is a top 5 player and has learned to be a pro, the money opens up.

    I think with Horford and one or two others plus our youngsters growth this team could be a force in the next few years.
    And if a respected player like Horford talks about his great experience in News Orleans we could be living in a whole new basketball world.

    The Pels need to sign a good basketball player, but also a bridge to show New Orleans is a great place to play.
    Someone to show the kids how to work everyday. Knows how to win. Someone like PJ Brown. Very good player, respected among his peers, great in the community.........

    ......and willing to take a chance and sign in New Orleans.

    Until this happens the Pels will be signing Solo, Asik, and E.Moore types (hopefully a little better) always wishing and hoping for more.

    I am by no means saying the Pels have to sign Horford, I am just saying he is the type of player they need to sign.

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    But in 3 plus years when hopefully Zion is a top 5 player and has learned to be a pro, the money opens up.

    I think with Horford and one or two others plus our youngsters growth this team could be a force in the next few years.
    And if a respected player like Horford talks about his great experience in News Orleans we could be living in a whole new basketball world.

    The Pels need to sign a good basketball player, but also a bridge to show New Orleans is a great place to play.
    Someone to show the kids how to work everyday. Knows how to win. Someone like PJ Brown. Very good player, respected among his peers, great in the community.........

    ......and willing to take a chance and sign in New Orleans.

    Until this happens the Pels will be signing Solo, Asik, and E.Moore types (hopefully a little better) always wishing and hoping for more.

    I am by no means saying the Pels have to sign Horford, I am just saying he is the type of player they need to sign.
    That's truewith basically any contract. Give one out, even a huge one, and when it's done the money opens up.

    The question is, what is there to do with that money? That depends on the free agency class. Obviously there's always the potential for trades to bring in players with excess salary but in general, the function of the cap space is to sign free agents. So who is going to be a free agent in the 2022 class? Right now, it looks bad: there will be lots of rookies like Doncic and Young, but obviously they'll be RFAs and won't actually be on the market, their teams will match. There are a few guys who might be able to be grabbed like Marcus Smart and (31 year old) Covington, and then there are a wealth of aging stars: 34 year old Curry, and 37 year old CP3 and Lebron will be available.

    $30M in cap won't be as valuable in 2022 as it would be in 2021, because there will be fewer good players likely to move, and teams will be coming off the big contracts they sign this year and there'll be more money flying around. 2021 is the year we should be aiming at, in my view, and giving Horford a 3 or 4 year deal on $25m+ is a terrible idea as a result. I don't really care how good his locker room presence is at that point: paying 37 year old Horford to average 11/4 for $25m while simultaneously ruining your ability to compete in the 2021 FA class is a mistake.

  9. #34
    Lonzo jrue Ingram Harris Zion

    I would love to see this lineup run people out the gym

  10. #35
    THINK Contributor redrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Old Metairie
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That's truewith basically any contract. Give one out, even a huge one, and when it's done the money opens up.
    I guess I should have said it opens up for Zion's fifth and 6th years, the most important make or break years!

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Ingram is not an established player. He has a lot to prove if he wants to be viewed as a long term starter. Same with Lonzo.
    Ingram has a higher ceiling ans this team isn't trying to win a championship anytime soon.

    So you put your equity in Ingram and see how that works out instead of going after Harris now.

    I mean didn't ya'll kill Dell Demps for making moves like this?

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Ingram has a higher ceiling ans this team isn't trying to win a championship anytime soon.

    So you put your equity in Ingram and see how that works out instead of going after Harris now.

    I mean didn't ya'll kill Dell Demps for making moves like this?
    Yep. I've piled on Ingram more than almost anyone on this board, but I'm totally fine with just letting him start and seeing what he can do without the Lakers shadow over him. Let him start, just let him go.

  13. #38
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    12,957
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Lonzo jrue Ingram Harris Zion

    I would love to see this lineup run people out the gym
    Finishing 5 yes depending on match-ups defensively, but I don't think that should be the starting lineup. The majority of Zion's minutes should be defending the other team's 4.

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Finishing 5 yes depending on match-ups defensively, but I don't think that should be the starting lineup. The majority of Zion's minutes should be defending the other team's 4.
    Or their 3. I feel like he'd do a fantastic job guarding Lebron, for example, even as a rookie. Very few other players in the league capable of standing in front of Lebron and having a legitimate claim for equalling him in strength, athleticism, and instinct.

  15. #40
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    12,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Or their 3. I feel like he'd do a fantastic job guarding Lebron, for example, even as a rookie. Very few other players in the league capable of standing in front of Lebron and having a legitimate claim for equalling him in strength, athleticism, and instinct.
    Agreed I'd like to see most of his minutes played at the 4 and then 3 based on the rotations, and then at the end of games if teams go small no issues with him closing as the 5. Just speaking for majority of the time. Match-ups dictate everything of course.

  16. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Agreed I'd like to see most of his minutes played at the 4 and then 3 based on the rotations, and then at the end of games if teams go small no issues with him closing as the 5. Just speaking for majority of the time. Match-ups dictate everything of course.
    It's all rotations based, like you said. I agree Zion should start at the 4, but honestly I could see times where he's playing the 1 on offense and the 5 on defense within the same lineup.

  17. #42
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    12,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It's all rotations based, like you said. I agree Zion should start at the 4, but honestly I could see times where he's playing the 1 on offense and the 5 on defense within the same lineup.
    To me the position you play is really centered around who you defend. On offense you dictate whatever "position" you play.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •