Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans preparing an offer for Hortford .

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Yes someone just told me on Twitter that Horford is 33 & doesn’t fit our timeline. Our timeline? We have no idea if this team constructed will even look the same next year. It for sure won’t look the same in 2021 when Ball & Jrue likely come of the books. Our timeline is now! That timeline stuff will get you fired or have your top player demanding for a trade. I want to win this year and if we sign Horford I think we will be an extremely dangerous team next season with a likely playoff bid. I know his age isn’t the greatest, but it’s not like he’s pushing 40. He hasn’t dealt with too many injuries in his career and seems to really take care of his body. The iron is hot right now for this franchise and we need to strike while it’s there. Having a player like Zion joining your franchise is a huge deal and will attract big time talent IMO.

I’m sure if we had room during AD’s first year, we could of added a big time talent. Ryan Anderson was brought in with AD and he wasn’t an All Star for sure. They played the same position for crying out loud. He was decent, but not an Al Horford. Then we got Tyreke who also wasn’t an All Star either and couldn’t make a layup. And then the best free agent Dell brought in, Ömer Asik baby! The trade for Jrue, the Cousins rental, and trading for Niko was the only decent moves Dell made. None really came via free agency besides Ryno and that was even a sign & trade lol.
    This type of thinking almost set the franchise back so far until we lucked in to Zion. You adapt. You don’t rush things if they don’t work out in your favor. If your guy isn’t available for a reasonable price, you find a new solution. Horford is hardly a guy I will weep over for the prices being thrown about. You are falling into the “instant gratification” trap that so many fans fall into.

We don’t know how quickly this team will gel either. Zion is a rookie. Lonzo and Ingram came from a dysfunctional Lakers organization. Signing Horford on 4 years for silly money for perhaps 2 years of “decent” production is stupid no matter the fit.

If Horford doesn’t work out you can always trade him. Bigs that can shoot are always in vogue.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Where's that stack of resumes again, Z ...?
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    This type of thinking almost set the franchise back so far until we lucked in to Zion. You adapt. You don’t rush things if they don’t work out in your favor. If your guy isn’t available for a reasonable price, you find a new solution. Horford is hardly a guy I will weep over for the prices being thrown about. You are falling into the “instant gratification” trap that so many fans fall into.

We don’t know how quickly this team will gel either. Zion is a rookie. Lonzo and Ingram came from a dysfunctional Lakers organization. Signing Horford on 4 years for silly money for perhaps 2 years of “decent” production is stupid no matter the fit.
    I guarantee Griffin hasn’t set some timeline for when he wants to compete for the playoffs. I bet Gayle told him she wants a winning team yesterday.

We were dealt a really bad hand when AD first came into the league, so we couldn’t build a good foundation for when his rookie deal ran out like we can now. Eric Gordon did not want to be here, so we should of never resigned him. Then our next big addition Jrue Holiday was hurt his first few years and it looked like the 76ers ripped us off for a while.

Al Horford is no Eric Gordon who was our first major signing of the AD era. He’s not even Jrue Holiday when it comes to what he has achieved in this league. I’m not saying we should break the bank for him, but he’s the best player available to help build the winning culture we want here in NOLA IMO. If we want to start off on the right foot with Zion, adding someone like Al Horford will show him that we are extremely serious about winning here.

But if Stein is right then you have no worries cause we not paying $30+ million a year for him I can tell you that
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-29-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Stein is all over the place. He has shown that he is just trying to guess at things rather than having true sources.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Difference about the Stein reporting about NOLA/Horford, is that Guillory and Lopez confirmed it. So Horford can sign here if he wants, but he's not getting 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Difference about the Stein reporting about NOLA/Horford, is that Guillory and Lopez confirmed it. So Horford can sign here if he wants, but he's not getting 4 years.
    What are Guillory and Lopez confirming? Griffin certainly isn't telling them.

Where there is smoke there is fire. I think we are just down playing how much we want him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Where there is smoke there is fire. I think we are just down playing how much we want him.

I think the bidding will be between the Kings and us.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What are Guillory and Lopez confirming? Griffin certainly isn't telling them.

Wow!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I think Griff is gonna surprise us. Horford is a 5 time all star. He’s 33 and he’s still worth paying. Bring in Horford and let’s get to work!

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I think Griff is gonna surprise us. Horford is a 5 time all star. He’s 33 and he’s still worth paying. Bring in Horford and let’s get to work!

No

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If Horford doesn’t work out you can always trade him. Bigs that can shoot are always in vogue.
    It won't be so easy. In fact, Pelicans have a possibility to sign him because no contender is willing to offer him such a big contract. But, on the other hand, it won't be an issue of concern anytime soon. Maybe Jrue makes a discount in two years. Maybe Ingram signs a cheaper-than-expected extension. Maybe any of them (or Lonzo) is traded for cheaper assets. Even if Horford's contract is bad, there are many ways to get cap flexibility again when it becomes absolutely necessary.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    No
    JJ Redick might be a PEL

Quote Originally Posted by Pelispanish View Post
    It won't be so easy. In fact, Pelicans have a possibility to sign him because no contender is willing to offer him such a big contract. But, on the other hand, it won't be an issue of concern anytime soon. Maybe Jrue makes a discount in two years. Maybe Ingram signs a cheaper-than-expected extension. Maybe any of them (or Lonzo) is traded for cheaper assets. Even if Horford's contract is bad, there are many ways to get cap flexibility again when it becomes absolutely necessary.
    That's true.

But. We are sitting pretty. Quite adorably. We have good team, currently. The promise of one of the top of two most promising young cores alongside the Hawks. PLUS the biggest allotment of future draft picks/assets in the league. We are far and away the best positioned team to be great for the foreseeable future.

The only way to handcuff all of that is a bad long deal.

So I am fine missing out on FAs as opposed to giving aging vets long deals. The coolest thing Dell would do was his "thrift shopping" of teams blowing up before the trade deadline. That will probably be where we find great players for the next few seasons as we won't be one of the teams blowing up.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    That's true.

But. We are sitting pretty. Quite adorably. We have good team, currently. The promise of one of the top of two most promising young cores alongside the Hawks. PLUS the biggest allotment of future draft picks/assets in the league. We are far and away the best positioned team to be great for the foreseeable future.

The only way to handcuff all of that is a bad long deal.

So I am fine missing out on FAs as opposed to giving aging vets long deals. The coolest thing Dell would do was his "thrift shopping" of teams blowing up before the trade deadline. That will probably be where we find great players for the next few seasons as we won't be one of the teams blowing up.
    Dell was a pretty good talent evaluator. No GM is going to go 10/10, but 7/10 is pretty good and thats where I'd rank Dell.

And of all the bad contracts handed out during that cap spike year in 2016, Solomon Hill's isn't even in the top 20.

The Lakers alone have 2 worst spots with Luol Deng (still paying him) and Timofey Mosgov (where is he now?). Knicks gave big moeny to Joakim Noah, who has also disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    When someone try dump him after regretting giving him a $100 million dollar contract. Lol trash. Glad the Horford Era is over. I will admit... Horford agent did his job.

Lol but Demps isn't into locking up former allstars, he prefers bench warmers

MM got people thinking signing Horford to a crazy deal is a good idea. It's simply not. AD and Boogie trashed Horford every time they played but he gets praised as a lock down defender because he locked up wishy washy JOEL Embiid. It's asinine. If Horford was in the West, he would be a 33 year old, 0 time allstar. If we pay him anywhere near $30M, even for 2 years it's a bad deal.

Adam Himmelsbach: I’m hearing that Al Horford is expected to meet with some mystery teams tonight, and then likely make a final decision either Monday or Tuesday. Horford was similarly patient and thorough before picking the Cs three years ago.
    – via Twitter AdamHimmelsbach

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    but he gets praised as a lock down defender because he locked up wishy washy JOEL Embiid..
    Famously trash and low-quality player, Joel Embiid, there.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Famously trash and low-quality player, Joel Embiid, there.
    Joel Embiid is good but he's not that tough of a cover, as he is hyped up to be.

Thread Information