Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans preparing an offer for Hortford .

I like the idea of letting Wood, Hayes, and Okafor rock it to start the season. Okafor actually could be a great mentor, as well. No, he doesn't do everything Horford does. But he totally tanked and then worked hard to get back to an NBA level. He fought so hard last preseason and showed good things during the season.

But that value will be there for us at the trade deadline. Every team feels like they have a shot right now. When other teams are blowing up at the trade deadline, we won't be because of our youth, and there will be some great pieces made available. Happens every season. My guess is it will be even bigger this season because of KD and Klay.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Right, but not just because he is a good mentor for Zion.

He's the ideal center: low usage, stretch the floor, elite defense, playoff experience, maturity
    If I'm playing someone max or near max money, one of the traits I don't want is low usage. People can say how perfect of a fit he is but when you are commanding that much money you need to be able to put the team on your back.

I can’t believe Durant just declined his $31.5 million player option with his injury. I guess his agent has word that either Brooklyn, New York, or some other team will sign him to the max even with next year being a throw away year.

Top 10 players to sign this offseason:

1. Al Horford - perfect fit as a veteran for our youngsters to learn from with plenty of playoff experience
    2. Nikola Vucevic - he’s probably the better player, but doesn’t fit that veteran presence I would want
    3. Demarcus Cousins - another decent fit, but can be a head case. Don’t think I want my youngsters learning from him
    4. Marc Gasol - another decent fit of the older vet we could use. Just think Horford would be the better fit. Not sure if the youngsters could learn as much from him since he’s such a unique talent.
    5. Nikola Mirotic - we had him before. Liked it here in NOLA. Great stretch 4. Good fit
    6. Julius Randle - I don’t like the fit
    7. Paul Millsap - don’t like the fit either
    8. Marcus Morris - good stretch 4 that would be a decent fit IMO
    9. Brook Lopez - good stretch 5 that would be a decent fit as well
    10. Jonas V or Dewayne Dedmon - I like Dedmon due to the money he will likely get. Jonas is a good center as well, but not sure about the fit. Dedmon stretches the floor more, so I may lean towards him
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-26-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If I'm playing someone max or near max money, one of the traits I don't want is low usage. People can say how perfect of a fit he is but when you are commanding that much money you need to be able to put the team on your back.
    C'mon man. I've had enough of these conversations with you to expect better. Al Horford, as he's proven time and time again, can absolutely carry a team through his rebounding and defensive play. You of all people I know recognizes that being a high usage guy that gets buckets isn't the only way to carry a team.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I can’t believe Durant just declined his $31.5 million player option with his injury. I guess his agent has word that either Brooklyn, New York, or some other team will sign him to the max even with next year being a throw away year.
    Everyone knew he was declining his option since at least January. There was no universe where he was ever taking that pay cut. Either he was declining it to resign a max with Golden State, or he was declining it to sign elsewhere. The injury doesn't change that: the day after it happened, everyone still knew that he was going to get a max. If nothing else, it was obvious New York would still give it to him. They are betting that he comes back at least 80% of his usual self, which is still better than 75% of the league.
    Basketball.

It is an absolute prohibition if you give 3 highly unrealistic examples of when you would accept a longer deal.
    No it's not. ''Absolute'' means, by definition, that the prohibition would exist without qualification or exception. By giving three examples of totally legal, within-the-CBA situations that would make me happy to sign the deal, there are literally listed exceptions. Which means that it is not, by definition, an ''absolute prohibition''.

Come on man, you know that. You know what words mean.

C'mon man. I've had enough of these conversations with you to expect better. Al Horford, as he's proven time and time again, can absolutely carry a team through his rebounding and defensive play. You of all people I know recognizes that being a high usage guy that gets buckets isn't the only way to carry a team.
    It's true. I watched him carry the Celtics with his low usage and rebounding/defense right out of an early exit in the playoffs.

You can always get low usage, good defensive players cheaper than max money. Just look at Pat Beverly. But when you are giving a guy max money, he should be able to give me more than 13/6.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 06-26-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Looking at the West next year. The Warriors won’t be as good without Klay & KD. Portland isn’t the greatest squad IMO. Denver & Utah look to be two teams to fill in that void at the top IMO. The Rockets look like they may fall off a bit with Harden & CP3 fighting. I want to see what the Clippers do in free agency. The Thunder will be ok, but nothing special IMO. The Mavs might be a better squad depending on free agency. The Spurs will always be a decent team, but they not scaring me. Who knows what happens with the Lakers? I don’t think they will be a top 3 team.

1-4. Denver, Utah, Portland, Clipper(if they get Kawhi?)
    5-6. Lakers, Golden State
    7-8. Rockets, Thunder, Spurs, Mavs(if they get Porzingis & another max guy cause they seem to be linked with everyone lol. Don’t know how when they have Hardaway Jr, Powell, & Lee combining for $41 million next year)

I think this team can get a possible top 5 seed and surprise some teams if we land a guy like Horford. Hopefully the Clippers & Mavs don’t do too good in free agency. I hope Kawhi stays in Toronto. I don’t know why anyone would want to join the western conference like LeBron did last year. None of those teams scare me. Golden State with only Steph & Draymond can’t be that good?

C: Horford, Okafor, Wood
    PF: Zion, Hayes, Williams
    SF: Ingram, Hart, Bertans
    SG: Jrue, Moore
    PG: Ball, NAW, Jackson

I would like to possibly move Moore and sign a point guard to replace him. But I think Jrue, NAW, & Jackson can get it done as the backup lead guard.

It's true. I watched him carry the Celtics with his low usage and rebounding/defense right out of an early exit in the playoffs.

You can always get low usage, good defensive players cheaper than max money. Just look at Pat Beverly. But when you are giving a guy max money, he should be able to give me more than 13/6.
    I completely agree with that. Culture and leadership are super important but not worth the max if not accompanied by great production

Can we get PJ Tucker for the fake Cleveland first and maybe some second rounders ? Houston is shopping him to make room for
    Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    No it's not. ''Absolute'' means, by definition, that the prohibition would exist without qualification or exception. By giving three examples of totally legal, within-the-CBA situations that would make me happy to sign the deal, there are literally listed exceptions. Which means that it is not, by definition, an ''absolute prohibition''.

Come on man, you know that. You know what words mean.
    Legally, if your exceptions were deemed highly unlikely to occur, your prohibition would be ruled absolute. Just saying.

Semantics vs common sense. Lol

Legally, if your exceptions were deemed highly unlikely to occur, your prohibition would be ruled absolute. Just saying.
    Well, unless you're planning to sue me, maybe you can just use some common sense definitions and a little bit of context to realise that if there are exceptions to your prohibition, it's not absolute.

Well, unless you're planning to sue me, maybe you can just use some common sense definitions and a little bit of context to realise that if there are exceptions to your prohibition, it's not absolute.
    Do you wanna dance???

Do you wanna dance???
    I can't accept that offer from you. You've dutifully informed me that saying ''let's dance'' is lame, and I couldn't ask anyone to do something they aren't fully interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I can’t believe Durant just declined his $31.5 million player option with his injury.
    He also sold his Malibu home for $12 million. It must be nice to have those kind of numbers in one's life.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Pelicans preparing an offer for Hortford .

Horford is a 5 time all star with an incredible work ethic and he’s a really awesome player. I know he’s 33 but he’s probably going to be playing at a high level for 3 more years. He’s a team first guy, a true vet, a leader. He can knock down 3s and is an excellent screener. Plus it helps that he’s a great defender and passer and has high bbiq and tons of experience.

Getting Horford isn’t like Demps getting Tyreke or Asik or having these vets they put around AD.

1. Horford is way better than anyone we paired with AD including Cousins. He is just a better player with true leadership and his game would be a huge piece of the puzzle.

2. Zion already has a bunch of young teammates that are going to grow with him. It will still be a rebuild. Hayes, Jackson, Kenrich, Ball, Ingram, Hart, Okafor, NAW, Wood, etc. all these players are developing their game and could be here for a long time.

3. We need another all star. I think Gentry and Griff are set on getting a star now. We shouldn’t overlook a 5 time all star PF/C who can still Ball and who will mentor players. I don’t see it as rushing a rebuild to get Horford.

4. Zion is more NBA ready than AD was when he entered the league. For me this means the potential to go deep in playoffs is definitely there if Horford and another vet is added to the roster. I think getting Horford would make Jrue very Happy.

5. Unlike the AD team Griff has tons of assets. It’s hard to land a player like Horford. We have so many picks and young talent we will have a lot of options and I just don’t think the CONS outweighs the PROS.

6. Horford would be almost a perfect fit next to Zion. Seriously. He can create space on the floor. He can hit 3s. He can play defense. He’s really good.

I think we will be a legit threat immediately if we get him. Add him and another shooter.

We’d have depth, Stars, a megastar and possibly another future star in Ball or Ingram. We’d be really balanced if we added Horford.

Imagine:

Pg: Ball, Elfrid or Quinn Cook (if we can get him)
    SG: Jrue, Moore, Jackson, NAW
    SF Ingram, Kenny Hustle
    PF Zion, Christian Wood
    C Horford, Okafor, Hayes

Get Moore off the books somehow and add another vet SG or SF that can hit 3s. Danny Green? Idk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pelicanchamp; 06-27-2019 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Horford is a 5 time all star with an incredible work ethic and he’s a really awesome player. I know he’s 33 but he’s probably going to be playing at a high level for 3 more years. He’s a team first guy, a true vet, a leader. He can knock down 3s and is an excellent screener. Plus it helps that he’s a great defender and passer and has high bbiq and tons of experience.

Getting Horford isn’t like Demps getting Tyreke or Asik or having these vets they put around AD.

1. Horford is way better than anyone we paired with AD including Cousins. He is just a better player with true leadership and his game would be a huge piece of the puzzle.

2. Zion already has a bunch of young teammates that are going to grow with him. It will still be a rebuild. Hayes, Jackson, Kenrich, Ball, Ingram, Hart, Okafor, NAW, Wood, etc. all these players are developing their game and could be here for a long time.

3. We need another all star. I think Gentry and Griff are set on getting a star now. We shouldn’t overlook a 5 time all star PF/C who can still Ball and who will mentor players. I don’t see it as rushing a rebuild to get Horford.

4. Zion is more NBA ready than AD was when he entered the league. For me this means the potential to go deep in playoffs is definitely there if Horford and another vet is added to the roster. I think getting Horford would make Jrue very Happy.

5. Unlike the AD team Griff has tons of assets. It’s hard to land a player like Horford. We have so many picks and young talent we will have a lot of options and I just don’t think the CONS outweighs the PROS.

6. Horford would be almost a perfect fit next to Zion. Seriously. He can create space on the floor. He can hit 3s. He can play defense. He’s really good.

I think we will be a legit threat immediately if we get him. Add him and another shooter.

We’d have depth, Stars, a megastar and possibly another future star in Ball or Ingram. We’d be really balanced if we added Horford.

Imagine:

Pg: Ball, Elfrid or Quinn Cook (if we can get him)
    SG: Jrue, Moore, Jackson, NAW
    SF Ingram, Kenny Hustle
    PF Zion, Christian Wood
    C Horford, Okafor, Hayes

Get Moore off the books somehow and add another vet SG or SF that can hit 3s. Danny Green? Idk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree Horford is a great player. The problem boils down to money...he will cost a ton and i'd dare say eat up all the available cap space leaving us without the ability to grab that sniper you recommend. We have to pick our poison.

Are we still on Horford I thought reports said the Pels were not in the mix?

You know how people justified the CP3 contract in Houston with the whole, "he is a multi time all star, yeah sure he is 33 but he probably has 3 good years left".... Now we are 1 year into his stupidly massive contract and he can't even be given away by Houston.

Horford is a good fit, seems like a good guy, would probably be really good for the team, you just can't give a guy that isn't a superstar
    in that age range 30m+ for 3/4 years. Deng,
    Batum, there's a history of good players that are stars or nearly stars that aren't superstars but there's a ton of cap and so they get these huge contracts and then in a year or two they can't be moved or cost assets to trade.

I also don't believe we need to spend 100m on getting Zion a mentor. A superstar is going to be a superstar. Who was AD's mentor that we threw money at to help him develop? There wasn't one. Did Lebron need one? Durant? Harden? Curry?

If he comes at a good price then sure of course he's just the type of player that you want but not at that price point.

Looks like the Pels are cooling off on Horford as they are reportedly interested in acquiring Derrick Favors via trade with Utah (a 2nd round pick or possibly Frank Jackson). While he wouldn't spread the floor as I envision, he would give us a defensive presence at the five we haven't seen since Tyson Chandler.

Further, the team is reportedly interested in Free Agents, Seth Curry and Jared Dudley. Curry could be a coup as he is deadly from three point range. He was +42% from three over three of last four years (missed one season due to injury). He would be instant offense off of the bench. I would think Dudley would be more an insurance policy than anything else.

https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2019/6...t-the-rotation

Reporters around the NBA are still trying to pin down the mystery team that appears to be on track to sign Al Horford to a lucrative four-year contract. Marc Stein of The New York Times thought it might be the Pelicans, but says he has been “strongly advised” that that’s not the case (Twitter link). Meanwhile, Brad Townsend of The Dallas Morning News (Twitter link) doesn’t believe the Mavericks are seriously in the mix for Horford, despite reports that suggested otherwise. Resource: Hoops.com

I also don't believe we need to spend 100m on getting Zion a mentor. A superstar is going to be a superstar. Who was AD's mentor that we threw money at to help him develop? There wasn't one. Did Lebron need one? Durant? Harden? Curry?

If he comes at a good price then sure of course he's just the type of player that you want but not at that price point.
    No, but in fairness there have been plenty of NBA superstars who did have mentors who were fundamental to their transition into the NBA. Duncan came in and although he was ready to play (as Zion is) there's no doubt that he learned a lot about the NBA and NBA life from Robinson. Barkley has credited Moses Malone as being a hugely important mentor to him in his younger years.

Just cause Lebron didn't have one doesn't mean nobody does.

I agree with you on the rest. I can't stress enough how much I don't want to give Horford 4 years on that much money.

No, but in fairness there have been plenty of NBA superstars who did have mentors who were fundamental to their transition into the NBA. Duncan came in and although he was ready to play (as Zion is) there's no doubt that he learned a lot about the NBA and NBA life from Robinson. Barkley has credited Moses Malone as being a hugely important mentor to him in his younger years.

Just cause Lebron didn't have one doesn't mean nobody does.

I agree with you on the rest. I can't stress enough how much I don't want to give Horford 4 years on that much money.
    I think a guy like Favors can be that mentor. It doesn't have to be Horford.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    I think a guy like Favors can be that mentor. It doesn't have to be Horford.
    It doesn't. I would prefer it to be Horford over Favors, mainly because he can shoot and defend multiple positions, and that's useful to the team in other ways, along with helping Hayes' development as well. But I've also professed my appreciating for the proposed Steven Adams trade idea, because he could be a good mentor too.

What will OKC want for Adams or better yet, what are the Pels willing to give up for Adams?

Thread Information