Pelicans Report

Thread: Aubrey Dawkins

Aubrey Dawkins

Is anyone else excited to see what he can do here? I think if he makes the team he could work himself into a Wes Matthews situation where he will provide solid shooting, and good defense. I liked what I saw of him in the NCAA tournament, and he has shown he can play with better talent. Will be a fun one to follow.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Did we draft him or something? Who is he

We have him on an Exhibit 10 contract. I just remember him from the tournament when he and Taco Falls went toe to toe with Duke, and Dawkins took the Blue Devils to the limit. He is a gamer.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    sorry deleted my other thread:

Newest undrafted signing. 6'6 205 shooting guard w/ career 3pt percentage of 42.2%. He isn't much of a shot creator but I think he has a legit chance to make the roster because he is really good at what he does, and that's shoot the rock. On a team that desperately needs spacing/shooters he fits a need. FA acquisitions can obviously adjust this need, but looking forward to seeing what he can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7YR6rwkooU

AD is dead

Long live AD!

Also, what is an Exhibit 10 contract?

Dawkins is from my college(UCF). He’s a really good shooter and seems to excel coming off screens. He has good ball handling skills and often brought the ball up court. He’s not afraid to take the big shot when the game is in the line. I’m holding out hope that he makes the squad but time will tell. Watch highlights from when UCF played Duke in the NCAA tournament to get an idea of what he is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    AD is dead

Long live AD!

Also, what is an Exhibit 10 contract?
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...ned/ar-AADeKlc

An Exhibit 10 contract is a one-year deal worth the minimum salary that guarantees the player will receive a camp invite. Fall, for instance, can either have his Exhibit 10 converted into a two-way contract, or will be waived.

If he is waived, the player will be offered $50,000 to sign with the G League affiliate of whomever waved them. Provided he stays on the roster for 60 days, he will earn that $50,000 bonus. The Exhibit 10 contract was created to incentivize players to stay in the G League as opposed to going abroad.

A team can’t carry more than six Exhibit 10 contracts at a time, and an Exhibit 10 contract can only be converted to a two-way deal before the regular season begins.

Even though an Exhibit 10 contract that gets converted to a two-way deal can later also turn into a standard NBA contract, it won't count against an NBA team's salary cap.

Was this E10 contract a part of the CBA last year?

Was this E10 contract a part of the CBA last year?
    I saw articles written about it explaining what it is in 2017 so I'm assuming so.

Don't remember hearing of it last off season

So we are basically just bringing in as many versatile players as possible?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Man, UCF was a fun team to watch last year. But Dawkins stood out to me in his final game against Duke. Boy did he show up.

Don't remember hearing of it last off season
    Maybe since we have an active G League team, we might see more of these?
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

I honestly think we did the smartest possible thing for undrafted free agents: just pick up older guys with limited but legit skillsets, or weird guys with odd games.

Zylan Cheatham is still my favourite of our UDFA guys, but Dawkins is cool too.
    Basketball.

Props to the LSU guys who found their ways onto rosters

Looks like a very good shooter

Good Shooters

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Looks like a very good shooter
    All three of the guards the Pelicans signed are good shooters. (Bess from St. Louis and Adams from UCONN). I believe Cheatham has an exceptional opportunity to make the roster given his defensive skills, transition skills, and intangibles. I would like to see if they signed any rookies at the center or power forward positions. Cheatham is considered a power forward at 6-8 and over 200 pounds.

Not to completely hijack the thread from Dawkins, but from everything I've seen about Cheatham I'm very excited about him. Seems like a great fit and he should have an excellent shot to make the final roster and at the very least get a 2 way deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Not to completely hijack the thread from Dawkins, but from everything I've seen about Cheatham I'm very excited about him. Seems like a great fit and he should have an excellent shot to make the final roster and at the very least get a 2 way deal.
    I seem to think he did get a 2 way deal already, don't quote me on that though. I could be remembering wrong.

I do like him a lot though. Defensively minded, gritty, a great rebounder, runs the floor well, and although he didn't really shoot many threes in college his stroke is pretty nice.

I know Dawkins. He is not the most athletic kid but he is hard working and has a good basketball IQ as a coach's son. He also has a solid outside shot and showed promise early on at Michigan but really struggled to get playing time and eventually transferred. It seems like he was able to find his way at UCF. I am not sure he'll make the team but I wish him well.

His best hope is likely the G League team.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    His best hope is likely the G League team.
    I think a lot of our young talents best hope is the G League. We have a ton of young guys, and not all of them will get the burn they need to get to that next level. Do what they did with Frank and Diallo and let these kids be yo-yos (with us, with the g-league team, back with us) for their first year.

Thread Information