.
Pelicans Report
 
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Nickeil Alexander-Walker

  1. #1

    Nickeil Alexander-Walker

    Since Zion and Jaxson Hayes have their own thread/s I thought NAWlins needed his own as well.

    I didn’t really look too much into this guy pre-draft cause I didn’t think we would take a shooting guard and had no idea we would have a pick in his range. I really like what I see from this kid. He has great awareness with a high basketball IQ. He’s a really good looking long distance shooter with excellent form and a quick release. He looks good spotting up and taking it off the dribble which not a ton of 3 point shooters can do effectively. He can drive with either hand and is really effective with his left hand on layups. I seen a highlight where he took a jump shot in the lane with his left hand which was unreal. He looks ambidextrous. He looks like a great passer that can initiate the offense as a combo guard so he’s versatile. He averaged 4 assists per game. He’s a great decision maker in transition. He understands when to take it to the rim, pull up for a jumper, or pass to the open teammate. He’s shifty, gets opponents using pump fakes. He can get open off screens effectively. Virginia Tech is known for their defense and this kid looks really good defensively as well with great defensive instincts. He gets a good amount of steals, 1.9 per game, and blocks some shots as well from the guard spot. So yes he looks like a great all around player who doesn’t really have too many weaknesses from a guard standpoint. I’m really intrigued to see this kid on the court. If he can be the 2 guard version of his cousin SGA we have found a future starter for sure when Jrue possibly leaves. He looks like Jrue with a better jump shot lol.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-22-2019 at 01:43 PM.

  2. #2
    I am a fan of NAW. He's not going to be a star, but he's going to be solid, and there really is value for solid. There are teams in the playoffs this year who would have absolutely KILLED for a solid third guard.

    NAW played a fair amount of point this year, and I think for me that solidifies him as a true combo guard. That's good, since with our stuffed backcourt, versatility is going to be key.

    You nailed a lot of his strengths. His shooting form is a little off, he tends to release the ball a little to the side of his head which isn't perfect but hey, it goes in and he's consistent with it, which is good. A very encouraging sign is that this year in college he regularly took shots from NBA range, which is great. He's not a great finisher at the rim when contested but he's relatively crafty and plays well in transition, which fits Gentry's style very well.

    You're right as well: he is a legit ambidextrous passer. Can make the pass with either hand, easily and with confidence and accuracy. That kind of unpredictability is good, and while he does need to crank up the assist/turnover ratio a little, it's a good sign for the game at the next level.

    NAW isn't the kind of guy who is likely to blow anyone's brains out, but he does project extremely well as a reliable, strong, useful third guard type guy, and that really can't be ignored.
    Zion ''The Earthquake'' Williamson

  3. #3
    The Franchise PolishFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Since Zion and Jaxson Hayes have their own thread/s I thought NAWlins needed his own as well.

    I didn’t really look too much into this guy pre-draft cause I didn’t think we would take a shooting guard and had no idea we would have a pick in his range. I really like what I see from this kid. He has great awareness with a high basketball IQ. He’s a really good looking long distance shooter with excellent form and a quick release. He looks good spotting up and taking it off the dribble which not a ton of 3 point shooters can do effectively. He can drive with either hand and is really effective with his left hand on layups. I seen a highlight where he took a jump shot in the lane with his left hand which was unreal. He looks ambidextrous. He looks like a great passer that can initiate the offense as a combo guard so he’s versatile. He averaged 4 assists per game. He’s a great decision maker in transition. He understands when to take it to the rim, pull up for a jumper, or pass to the open teammate. He’s shifty, gets opponents using pump fakes. He can get open off screens effectively. Virginia Tech is known for their defense and this kid looks really good defensively as well with great defensive instincts. He gets a good amount of steals, 1.9 per game, and blocks some shots as well from the guard spot. So yes he looks like a great all around player who doesn’t really have too many weaknesses from a guard standpoint. I’m really intrigued to see this kid on the court. If he can be the 2 guard version of his cousin SGA we have found a future starter for sure when Jrue possibly leaves.
    If he turns out to be a very good player which I think is quite probable then Griffin's decision will look even better. We also got rid of Solo. And if Cleveland plays well next year we will get another first rounder and all of that just for a pick swap where Griffin probably still got his guy in Hayes

  4. #4
    How bout we throw out player comps for reference. In a best case scenario we are looking at a Malcolm Brogdon maybe Jeff Teague hybrid. A solid combo guard who can start at either guard spot and be a secondary ball handler and defensive asset on the ball. Anyone disagree?

    In a worst case scenario he is an all around solid player with no exceptional skill set. A 3rd or 4th guard off the bench who contributes but gets pushed out of the rotation when the playoffs come. Low ceiling low floor. Not bad for the 17th pick in the draft.
    Last edited by cmariaou; 06-22-2019 at 03:41 PM.

  5. #5
    But...locals don't pronounce it "nawlins".

    I'm really not expecting too much of the draft picks. What happens with the cap space will be interesting.

  6. #6
    Exhibit C Nola3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    978
    I really don't get the "low ceiling" thing people keep throwing out. This kid was one of my favorite prospects coming out and I was thrilled when we drafted him. His shooting form is great with a high, consistent release point and great rotation, even if it is a little to the side of his head like Dae pointed out. He has incredible vision, knows when to hit the open man, and can work well both on and off ball. His athleticism is limited, but he still gets wherever he wants on the court which speaks to his IQ and footwork, along with a developing handle. And all of those things carry over to the defensive end, where he can guard 1-3 with his size and discipline. Once he hits an NBA weight room and absorbs Gentry and Erman's gameplans, ,I think he'll become a favorite around here for the foreseeable future. I'm not saying he'll be an all-star in the next few years but I absolutely think he'll be a long-term starter who can fit basically any lineup.

  7. #7
    In his highlights I see a little bit of SGA, Brogdon, and mcollum in him.

  8. #8
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    In his highlights I see a little bit of SGA, Brogdon, and McCollum in him.
    Same here and I think he will turn out good since he seems to have the right kind mind to succeed in the NBA, along with being cousins with SGA who can help him along. Plus he also has the physical tools to be good.

    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cmariaou View Post
    How bout we throw out player comps for reference. In a best case scenario we are looking at a Malcolm Brogdon maybe Jeff Teague hybrid. A solid combo guard who can start at either guard spot and be a secondary ball handler and defensive asset on the ball. Anyone disagree?

    In a worst case scenario he is an all around solid player with no exceptional skill set. A 3rd or 4th guard off the bench who contributes but gets pushed out of the rotation when the playoffs come. Low ceiling low floor. Not bad for the 17th pick in the draft.
    I seen Jordan Clarkson and Spencer Dinwiddie. I could see it a bit cause both those guys are decent scoring combo guards. I also seen his cousin SGA, but not sure he’s the athlete his cuz is though.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-22-2019 at 11:18 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I seen Jordan Clarkson and Spencer Dinwiddie. I could see it a bit cause both those guys are decent scoring combo guards. I also seen his cousin SGA, but not sure he’s the athlete his cuz is though.
    He's nothing like Clarkson. He's a willing passer, for one, and a capable defender whereas Clarkson is neither. He's also a far better shooter than Clarkson, at least in college.

    Clarkson is a score first, me-me-me-me-me, ballhogging chucker. NAW is nothing like that at all.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He's nothing like Clarkson. He's a willing passer, for one, and a capable defender whereas Clarkson is neither. He's also a far better shooter than Clarkson, at least in college.

    Clarkson is a score first, me-me-me-me-me, ballhogging chucker. NAW is nothing like that at all.
    I’m not saying that. It’s what I seen on NBA Draft room.com. I think it would be a good comparison when Clarkson was coming into the league, but playing with a crap team like the Cavs kind of force guys to go straight hero ball. They have the same build & athleticism. I would say more Lakers Clarkson than Cleveland Clarkson
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-22-2019 at 11:32 PM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I’m not saying that. It’s what I seen on NBA Draft room.com. I think it would be a good comparison coming into the league, but playing with a crap team like the Cavs kind of force guys to go straight hero ball. They have the same build & athleticism
    Clarkson did it on the Lakers too, although the Lakers were also trash.

    I feel like Jeff Teague, or maybe George Hill is a better comparison.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Clarkson did it on the Lakers too, although the Lakers were also trash.

    I feel like Jeff Teague, or maybe George Hill is a better comparison.
    They too much on the point guard side for me. Maybe George Hill would be a good comparison, but Brogdon isnít a bad comparison. Maybe Garry Harris, Tim Hardaway Jr, Dion Waiters, Caris LeVert, but Spencer Dinwiddie is a decent comparison from last year.

  14. #14
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,600
    What I like about this pick is he is very effective in the half court. A patient cerebral guard who can adapt to defenses that might limit the Pelicans uptempo offense and fast breaks. It really is a very good pick. He reads defenses well and it looks like he methodically breaks them down.

    I also like that heís a good defender and pretty big guard at 6í5Ē. We need guys who can guard 1-3 and Jrue could really help this kid become a great player. He isnít very athletic but if he gets a good bit stronger I think he could be a big problem despite limited athleticism. I want to see him attack the basket often because if he can do that he will be really really good.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    More I watch he actually has some jrue to his game too, finish with both hands, combo guard who can create for himself, others, great passer and defender, better shooter. Love the pick, perfect piece to put around Zion

  16. #16
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JJackisangry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,961
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    What I like about this pick is he is very effective in the half court. A patient cerebral guard who can adapt to defenses that might limit the Pelicans uptempo offense and fast breaks. It really is a very good pick. He reads defenses well and it looks like he methodically breaks them down.

    I also like that heís a good defender and pretty big guard at 6í5Ē. We need guys who can guard 1-3 and Jrue could really help this kid become a great player. He isnít very athletic but if he gets a good bit stronger I think he could be a big problem despite limited athleticism. I want to see him attack the basket often because if he can do that he will be really really good.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well let us hope that he and Lonzo solve our woes there. During Gentryís tenure, this has been by far our weakest area offensively. Itís not even just our lack of 3 point shooting- itís the boneheaded plays our guards continue to make in our half court sets. Jrue is both an intelligent player and a bit of an airhead. I just donít think he is switched on at all times offensively. Give the man some adderall

  17. #17
    ...we get to go McDonalds
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,710
    This is my favorite pick up of the bunch because I know he can play basketball. He can find the open man and he can finish and he can dribble.

    I think a lot of times we get far too carried away with measurables. Night after night, it’s the guys with skill who win games. He was on a damn good ACC team and he has a cousin who he can learn from. I love the pick.

  18. #18
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    12,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    This is my favorite pick up of the bunch because I know he can play basketball. He can find the open man and he can finish and he can dribble.

    I think a lot of times we get far too carried away with measurables. Night after night, it’s the guys with skill who win games. He was on a damn good ACC team and he has a cousin who he can learn from. I love the pick.
    Outside of Zion I agree. Very excited about this pick up. I think he can come off the bench and be an immediate scorer.

  19. #19
    I also love the pick, this is the type of player that makes your team all around better and his teammates better. Need a scorer? Done. Need him to spread the floor for others to succeed? Done. Need him to defend their best guard, or facilitate for others? Done. He’s an all around player

  20. #20
    Unstoppable! GuardianAngel25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    7,371
    Nice breakdown omg the kid. After doing my research I am a big fan as well. We have young potential stars at near every single position with Lonzo/Ingram/Zion/Hayes and this kid imo can be a very good contributor. There is really no telling how good he becomes in his prime but I think we got a really good player who can play a big role on a playoff team. This offseason has been nothing short of incredible from front office signings to our trade along with the draft. I donít see how anything could have really gone better for us. I like this pick a lot. I have a feeling he might be moved in a deal to acquire another young star like Beal but until we make any moves I love what we have. Our team is in a position to stay as we are or use some of our assets to make a big splash. Either way Iím happy with what we will be doing going forward. I have complete faith in Griffin/Langdon to put together the best team possible. It is also looking like Gentry will have an ideal roster for what he wants to do. I canít wait for next season!!

  21. #21
    He is a gonna be a solid role player, but he won't bresk out till the end of his rookie deal.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •