Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Ingram?????

Brandon Ingram?????

Considering he will be a RFA next year would you go ahead and roll the dice and attempt to extend him, Im not sure of the CBA but Im assuming we can put an offer sheet in front of him. I was thinking 4 years starting at 15, if he wants 20 I would just wait and let it play out.

I think before we consider extending him, we have to see how he plays for us.

I'm not expecting the world from him. I don't think it's fair to expect him to put up ridiculous numbers on this team when, by all rights, he should be the third option at best.

What I'm looking for is around 15ppg, pumping up his rebounds from 5 to maybe 7, and maintaining his 3 assists but possibly cutting down turnovers. I'd love to see him maintain a high FG%, and to push his 3pt% up to around league average. Not asking for him to be a sniper immediately for us, or for him to shoot 5 threes a game, but if he can take 2-2.5 per game and shoot around 35%, that would be a very encouraging sign.

If he can do that and play decent defense, then I think we consider extending him. Exactly how much depends on exactly how he plays. I'd love to resign him relatively cheap if he can make those adjustments.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I wonder what sort of discount we might get based on his blood clot scare, and how his next contract will be structured. There could be some advantage to extending him early, depending on the discount. I think the Pelicans med team is going to be so critical to helping Griff figure out what to do with Ingram.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I wonder what sort of discount we might get based on his blood clot scare, and how his next contract will be structured. There could be some advantage to extending him early, depending on the discount. I think the Pelicans med team is going to be so critical to helping Griff figure out what to do with Ingram.
    I wonder if Ingram would, assuming we decide to extend him, take one of those front-loaded descending contracts that gets cheaper over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I wonder if Ingram would, assuming we decide to extend him, take one of those front-loaded descending contracts that gets cheaper over time.
    What about starting him at 20 and descending? Would you take the risk? I think I might. Thats considering he would take it.

Quote Originally Posted by bogiesfedora View Post
    What about starting him at 20 and descending? Would you take the risk? I think I might. Thats considering he would take it.
    Like I said, it depends how he plays. If he ends up playing next year at the same standard he played this year, then no, I don't want to pay him $20m. If he makes improvements in those key areas, like three point shooting and defense, then I think about it. Especially on a descending contract.

Like I said, it depends how he plays. If he ends up playing next year at the same standard he played this year, then no, I don't want to pay him $20m. If he makes improvements in those key areas, like three point shooting and defense, then I think about it. Especially on a descending contract.
    I meant now would you do it.

I meant now would you do it.
    Today? Nah, probably not. I've made no secret that with his game as it currently is, I'm not a huge fan.

Today? Nah, probably not. I've made no secret that with his game as it currently is, I'm not a huge fan.
    Im with you on his game he really hasn’t advanced much as a prospect. His game his still mostly theoretical going into his 4th NBA season. Having said all that if he would take a descending contract starting at 20, I think I would roll the dice. In the 4th year he would be making a shade under 15, and I would feel pretty good about him outperforming it.

I would wait to see how he plays as well. I’m hoping he plays great and we do resign him though. I would just wait to make sure he’s a good fit. He’s by far the best small forward we have had here in quite sometime. I’m hoping he can get us 15-18 ppg. Zion will likely be in that same range as a rookie with hopefully 10+ boards to average a double double. Then Jrue gets us around 18-20 ppg. I’m hoping Ball can get us 10-12 with 8-10 assists a game.

I still think they're trash but they're pelicans now so I'm gonna root for them and hope to all that is holy they get better

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I would wait to see how he plays as well. I’m hoping he plays great and we do resign him though. I would just wait to make sure he’s a good fit. He’s by far the best small forward we have had here in quite sometime. I’m hoping he can get us 15-18 ppg. Zion will likely be in that same range as a rookie with hopefully 10+ boards to average a double double. Then Jrue gets us around 18-20 ppg. I’m hoping Ball can get us 10-12 with 8-10 assists a game.
    I feel like Zion has everything set up to have a Blake Griffin style rookie year, in terms of raw numbers. Blake put up 22/12 in his rookie year, and I would not be surprised at all if Zion did the same.

I feel like Zion has everything set up to have a Blake Griffin style rookie year, in terms of raw numbers. Blake put up 22/12 in his rookie year, and I would not be surprised at all if Zion did the same.
    go big or go home 25/15/5/2/2

I wouldnt use Blake as an example. He had a year to build himself up and get mentally ready. Plus let some of the hype die down.

Zion will not have that luxury. The move from college to pro can be jolting.

I do expect an improved Brandon Ingram. He has no real holes in his game besides his slim stature and maybe qeustions about his mentality. He's got a good shooting form. Can handle the ball. Can pass. Has good height and very long. It's only a matter of time before he blossoms if he keeps his head straight.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-22-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I wouldnt use Blake as an example. He had a year to build himself up and get mentally ready. Plus let some of the hype die down.

Zion will not have that luxury. The move from college to pro can be jolting.
    I understand that, and I raise you the fact that Zion is just flat better than Blake as a prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    go big or go home 25/15/5/2/2

His rookie year, Kareem averaged 29/15/4. Blocks and steals weren't measured yet, but for the first year they were, he averaged 1.4stls and 3.5 blocks.

So, there it is. The bar is set: Zion must average at least 29/15/4/2/4 in order to claim the mantle of greatest rookie season of all time.

.... that will not happen.

Edit: as a side note, because Kareem did most of his winning on the Lakers when his numbers were declining a little bit, you sometimes can forget how truly stupid his numbers were early in his career. Man had a 35/17 year. Literally unthinkable outside of him and Wilt.

His rookie year, Kareem averaged 29/15/4. Blocks and steals weren't measured yet, but for the first year they were, he averaged 1.4stls and 3.5 blocks.

So, there it is. The bar is set: Zion must average at least 29/15/4/2/4 in order to claim the mantle of greatest rookie season of all time.

.... that will not happen.
    why must you crush my dreams every damn time

why must you crush my dreams every damn time

I would love to be proven wrong

I would love to be proven wrong
    as would we all lol but realistically I'd say 15/8/4

as would we all lol but realistically I'd say 15/8/4

I feel fairly confident that 19/10/4 should be easily achievable, depending on how we use him.

I feel fairly confident that 19/10/4 should be easily achievable, depending on how we use him.
    Oh no doubt I don't disagree I'm jist playing it safe bc I can see him getting to that 19 with just hustle plays

Oh no doubt I don't disagree I'm jist playing it safe bc I can see him getting to that 19 with just hustle plays

That's kind of my thoughts as well. He plays so hard that I can see him picking up 8 points or so just on putbacks and other offensive board-type-hustle plays. Add another 6 points or so on lobs, and he's already up 14. He can create for himself too, so give him a few chances to take someone off the dribble, and you're up around 20 points without him actually having to do that much.

That's kind of my thoughts as well. He plays so hard that I can see him picking up 8 points or so just on putbacks and other offensive board-type-hustle plays. Add another 6 points or so on lobs, and he's already up 14. He can create for himself too, so give him a few chances to take someone off the dribble, and you're up around 20 points without him actually having to do that much.
    I can't wait to see what( Chris Hansen I think that's his name) does with him bc what he did with ad was great but zion could be his mona Lisa

Considering he will be a RFA next year would you go ahead and roll the dice and attempt to extend him, Im not sure of the CBA but Im assuming we can put an offer sheet in front of him. I was thinking 4 years starting at 15, if he wants 20 I would just wait and let it play out.
    I would try to extend him now. I think if we don’t is gonna cost us a good chunk of $ more. There will be teams who are willing to offer him a lot of $ after what I believe he will okay like next season. One thing that could be in our favor which isn’t something to be happy about but try to pull some good out of it.. The entire off season he hasn’t been able to work much in his game so he will likely not be at his peak form like he ended last season. I don’t see it taking to long before he really has everything clicking but I also don’t think he will have as good of a season had he been working in his game instead of rehabbing. I would try now to offer him something like 4 years at $18 million a year. After this season I see him getting a contract around what Barnes for averaging 23 million per. Just like Jrue Ingram is going to be worth every penny of what he’s gonna get paid!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post

He’s the best SF in the NBA under 25 years old. You could say Giannis but he’s not a SF. With Ingram not working on his game much this offseason I would like to see him average around 18-22 ppg and have an efficient FG% that has been very good for him with last year at 50%. I would like to see his 3pt shot continue improving while getting stronger and continuing to develop which those 2 he wasn’t able to work on until not. For me a lot of what Ingram could average will depend on if we keep Ball or trade for someone like Beal where he will get less opportunities. As the roster sits I see Ingram averaging 20 ppg / 6 rpg / 5 apg while scoring very efficiently from FG around 47%-50% and a 3pt shot around 37%-41% and will will get better as the season goes.. I think he will thrive in Gentry’s system and be used a lot more to create for others like he has been at times in the past putting up triple doubles. His skill set fits very well imo with Zion as a similar skill set to RJ Barrett just much better and has a shot that looks to be legit. I could very well see his numbers in ppg rise after the all star break and he’s back in peak form but around 22-24 ppg is where we want him when at our best competing for rings!

I think Zion is going to do much better then some think. If you had watched him in college it is very obvious the NBA was built for a player with his skill set and college isn’t. Even with how college basketball is set up for him to not be as great he still put up the best PER ever.. The lanes were constantly clogged with the 3pt line keeping everything so tight. The spacing he will have and the wide open lanes where there is actually rules big men have to move will completely change this kids game. I can easily see him having a Blake Griffin tote season as an average season for himself. I can see Zion averaging 18 ppg and I can also see something like 24 ppg depending on how much we plan on getting him the ball. On a bad team I can easily see him having a rookie season with 25 ppg / 12 rpg / 3 apg.. The big thing is I don’t think we are a bad team and will actually be very good. I think Zion next season is rookie of the year while averaging a very efficient 22 ppg / 12 rpg / 3 apg .. shooting 55%+ FG and 34%+ 3pt.. I would not be disappointed one bit if he Is brought along and has a season with 18 ppg and 9 rpg but just on his athleticism alone and the NBA suiting his game he gets that in his sleep.

Thread Information