Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans will regret not drafting...

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    There are lots of cases where teams didn't "turn down a star" and it didn't work out well. The fit wasn't good. Ask the Knicks, OKC or the Rockets if they wish they hadn't signed Carmelo (to name a recent example). Each of those teams grabbed for a star and regretted it.
    Dude, I’m talking a draft. Not a player out of his prime who’s soaked in his ways.

This thread! Wowwowowwow

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    I know as much as the next guy. Professional GMs let Kobe get drafted at 13. Professional GMs drafted Kawhi at 15.

If you were a Celtics fan, I know as much to know that Danny Ainge used and still may use Jon Niednagel as his behind the scenes consigliere to make his picks.
    My time as a fan of the Celtics predates Ainge by a lot. EDIT: I just realized that I was working on my second kid when Ainge just started BYU. Dang, I am old!

I wasn't questioning professional GMs and the ability of professionals to make mistakes in building a team or drafting. I was simply pointing out that it was a pretty bold statement to say to someone that "You don’t know as much as I know yet."
    Last edited by Mount Zion; 06-22-2019 at 12:26 PM.

I can agree and disagree here. I thought Garland would be a great fit in NO with his court vision and shooting ability. However, I can also see how the current direction of grabbing defensive players who are athletic can be fun and exciting way to play that can put up some Ws. Either way we should have some exciting seasons to come. Lets goooooo! I think we will have the best defensive team in the league very soon.

Dude, I’m talking a draft. Not a player out of his prime who’s soaked in his ways.
    OK, then do you want to go down the list of fan anointed "stars" that couldn't hack it in the NBA because they lacked other skills besides shooting. Wait. I think you already challenged NMThreeMVP to name them. How is that going?

My time as a fan of the Celtics predates Ainge by a lot.

I wasn't questioning professional GMs and the ability of professionals to make mistakes in building a team or drafting. I was simply pointing out that it was a pretty bold statement to say to someone that "You don’t know as much as I know yet."
    It’s a true statement!

I’m on the ledge of saying Darius is a star. That’s my prediction. If someone is saying he isnt, it’s a wash argument and nothing someone can argue against that is superior or inferior to that prediction until Darius suits up. So yes, no one knows more than the next guy until the writings on the wall.

I’m not even saying I know more than you guys. I’m saying I feel Griffin dropped the ball here.

Did you just join to come in and spit on Griffin over one personnel decision you disagree with? That’s going the long way round.

Garland may be a good shooter in the pros (who knows) but he’s also a point guard who had more turnovers than assists in college—the rare negative assist ratio. Passing, like shooting, is both a skill and a mindset. Defense is a mindset. Garland did not fit the vision for how this team will play. Ball, who is not a good shooter, does fit. You may disagree with this vision, but they are building around it. And unless you are Garland’s Mom or some kind of Klutch Sports groupie, it doesn’t make a lot of sense just to join up here to ******** all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    I can agree and disagree here. I thought Garland would be a great fit in NO with his court vision and shooting ability. However, I can also see how the current direction of grabbing defensive players who are athletic can be fun and exciting way to play that can put up some Ws. Either way we should have some exciting seasons to come. Lets goooooo! I think we will have the best defensive team in the league very soon.
    This is truly where I am on it. Staying at #4, I preferred Hunter, Hayes and then Garland, but I would have been fine with Garland knowing that the team was going to need shooters. But his defense and passing put him behind the other for what I believed was the best team fit.

OK, then do you want to go down the list of fan anointed "stars" that couldn't hack it in the NBA because they lacked other skills besides shooting. Wait. I think you already challenged NMThreeMVP to name them. How is that going?

Because the same list could be made for players who they thought would be role players turned out to be stars.

My feelings on Darius is that he’s better than these guys listed. His confidence feels better to me. His stroke looks better. And he’s shiftier and a better handler than what folks in here will have you to believe.

There’s a reason a player can play five games and be projected as a high lottery pick. I’m banking on that unsaid reason being why he’s a star.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Did you just join to come in and spit on Griffin over one personnel decision you disagree with? That’s going the long way round.

Garland may be a good shooter in the pros (who knows) but he’s also a point guard who had more turnovers than assists in college—the rare negative assist ratio. Passing, like shooting, is both a skill and a mindset. Defense is a mindset. Garland did not fit the vision for how this team will play. Ball, who is not a good shooter, does fit. You may disagree with this vision, but they are building around it. And unless you are Garland’s Mom or some kind of Klutch Sports groupie, it doesn’t make a lot of sense just to join up here to ******** all over it.
    I think the new rage poster is of the mindset of "best player" as a pick as opposed to "best fit". It is an age old argument that will never end but some folks feel their perspective is the only rational way of thinking. What can you do.

It’s a true statement!

I’m on the ledge of saying Darius is a star. That’s my prediction. If someone is saying he isnt, it’s a wash argument and nothing someone can argue against that is superior or inferior to that prediction until Darius suits up. So yes, no one knows more than the next guy until the writings on the wall.

I’m not even saying I know more than you guys. I’m saying I feel Griffin dropped the ball here.
    Fine. I am not saying that Garland won't be a star. I am saying that he will probably be a better fit to star on a different team, which means I believe Garland didn't drop a ball.

So now that we have established our belief parameters , I am perfectly willing to admit I am wrong if Griffin fails to build a consistent winner using the model he has chosen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stupid World.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	6448

All these players you’re naming still doesn’t deter from the fact that my main argument is that I feel Darius is a star.
    I thought your argument was that there was never a guy who was efficient from both 2 and 3 point range in college, who had a good shooting form, who wasn't a star in the NBA, worth that top 5 pick.

I thought that, because you said that. You said ''Find me a player with an amazing shooting form that wasn’t worth a top 5 pick with high FG% from 2 and 3 in college that wasn’t a star''. All he's doing is finding you those players. It's not his fault if you're wrong.
    Basketball.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Garland won’t be a star. Not in Cleveland anyway. The ball will be in Sextons hands and we can get Garland in a year in exchange for me, Frank Jackson, and that Cleveland pick(s) we got.

Wait! What? Anthony Davis quit on the team!?!? Why was I not informed?

Not to question your basketball IQ
    Very generous of you. I'm questioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I thought your argument was that there was never a guy who was efficient from both 2 and 3 point range in college, who had a good shooting form, who wasn't a star in the NBA, worth that top 5 pick.

I thought that, because you said that. You said ''Find me a player with an amazing shooting form that wasn’t worth a top 5 pick with high FG% from 2 and 3 in college that wasn’t a star''. All he's doing is finding you those players. It's not his fault if you're wrong.
    Fine if thats what you think he did, fine. I think he’s wrong.

You can spew this “optimum” shooting form excuse, but to me - Darius has the perfect shooting form. The players he listed do not equate imo. But I also look at touch and release and all around the floor.

The guy above says Sexton ball dominant...Darius is an ELITE spot up shooter.

Darius is a very very good spot up shooter as well as a very very good shooter off the dribble as well as a very very good touch at making floaters as well as having a very very good rhythm to his game that gives him confidence. To me, all those players that were listed lacked at least one or those traits...for majority of them they couldn’t knock down floaters at 18-19 years old or their game didn’t have a “I can kill you one on one” offensive rhythm. See Kerry Kittles. Show me Jimmers shiftiness.

Trash on my basketball IQ. But just expect the same in months.

Fine if thats what you think he did, fine. I think he’s wrong.

You can spew this “optimum” shooting form excuse, but to me - Darius has the perfect shooting form. The players he listed do not equate imo. But I also look at touch and release and all around the floor.

Trash on my basketball IQ. But just expect the same in months.
    Go to any shooting coach. The form they teach you will not look like Darius'. Like I said, for like the fifth time now, that doesn't seem to matter for Darius because he makes it work, but his form is not perfect. Just stop. He's a very good three point shooter. That doesn't mean we have to lie and pretend his form is perfect and aesthetic or anything.

I'll be completely honest, I don't know if I expect you to still be here in a few months. I feel like you kinda just showed up in an argumentative mood, little bit of sound, little bit of fury, signifying a whole lot of nothing, and I don't know if you'll have the passion to keep up something so pointless for so long. But if you do stick around, just remember: if Garland shoots well and you come at me for that, you're missing everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Go to any shooting coach. The form they teach you will not look like Darius'. Like I said, for like the fifth time now, that doesn't seem to matter for Darius because he makes it work, but his form is not perfect. Just stop. He's a very good three point shooter. That doesn't mean we have to lie and pretend his form is perfect and aesthetic or anything.

I'll be completely honest, I don't know if I expect you to still be here in a few months. I feel like you kinda just showed up in an argumentative mood, little bit of sound, little bit of fury, signifying a whole lot of nothing, and I don't know if you'll have the passion to keep up something so pointless for so long. But if you do stick around, just remember: if Garland shoots well and you come at me for that, you're missing everything.
    And go to any shooting coach and they will tell you all that matters is that you keep your body and elbows straight with a flush follow-thru and all that matters is how quick you can do all that in one motion and not break any of those rules. Darius does not break any of those rules even after he’s dancing with the ball. He always looks like he’s shooting in a telephone booth.

I’m not going to brag about being right as a shooter. I think at this time, you even know he will be. I’m going to brag that he’s so good at it in any type of situation that it will make him a star.

If Darius is a star and people look back and say “The Pelicans had a chance to draft Darius????”...I don’t care how good Hayes looks, you will be wrong.

And don’t worry, I’ll be here.

And go to any shooting coach and they will tell you all that matters is that you keep your body and elbows straight with a flush follow-thru and all that matters is how quick you can do all that in one motion and not break any of those rules. Darius does not break any of those rules even after he’s dancing with the ball. He always looks like he’s shooting in a telephone booth.

I’m not going to brag about being right as a shooter. I think at this time, you even know he will be. I’m going to brag that he’s so good at it in any type of situation that it will make him a star.

If Darius is a star and people look back and say “The Pelicans had a chance to draft Darius????”...I don’t care how good Hayes looks, you will be wrong.

And don’t worry, I’ll be here.
    Glad you've finally figured out that I'm not putting Garland down as a shooter. Only took you about a dozen repetitions before you picked it up.

If Darius is a star, people will look back and say ''The Pelicans had a chance to draft Darius???'', sure. Maybe they will. They could equally look at the Knicks and say the same thing.

''I don't care how good Hayes looks, you will be wrong.'' That's a really good, open minded, humble stance you got there man. What if Hayes ends up being a perennial all-defense figure and maybe even wins a DPOY? Not saying that's guaranteed, by any means, but he has the potential for it. Is that still going to be considered a ''loss''?

Wowowowow you should look closer at the trade that Griffin made. If you still think you should complain then look again but even closer and if you still ... well then go away

what hell did I just voluntarily walk into

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Carsen Edwards.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I feel like this is someone who posted here regularly in the past. This unnecessarily aggressive style of posting is so familiar l.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I feel like this is someone who posted here regularly in the past. This unnecessarily aggressive style of posting is so familiar l.
    I feel it. There are a few names on the tip of my tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    what hell did I just voluntarily walk into

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    You walked into Mr. Wowowowow

Thread Information