Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jaxson Hayes

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    How long will it take Hayes to really contribute? I definitely see us bringing him along slowly. And with $30m+ in cap space, the glaring hole in the starting lineup is finding the right fit next to Zion in the front court. If we spend resources there in the next 3 weeks, I think Hayes spends a LOT of time in the G League through the first 3 months of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    How long will it take Hayes to really contribute? I definitely see us bringing him along slowly. And with $30m+ in cap space, the glaring hole in the starting lineup is finding the right fit next to Zion in the front court. If we spend resources there in the next 3 weeks, I think Hayes spends a LOT of time in the G League through the first 3 months of the season.
    I don't think he needs to be in the G League. Like I said, the Diallo role is fine.

How long will it take for him to contribute, like, even a little bit? Not long at all. He's a strong enough rim runner and rim protector that he could be a third big immediately, in that Diallo role.

How long will it take for him to be a starter, or be playing 30+ mpg? I don't see it happening in his first year. Probably a second year issue.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-22-2019 at 09:38 AM.
    Basketball.

As our boy Dae said, I can see him playing a Diallo role. Introduce him to the NBA and put him into a situation where he can succeed.

I’m already picturing it now. Two Diallos running the other team out of the gym and shooting 62 percent from the floor while making those hustle defensive plays that win you games. Hopefully Hayes comes out of the gate like Cheick because it took him a couple of seasons to excel in his role. Hayes will hopefully go way beyond that at some point, but it would be rad to have two Diallos this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I’m already picturing it now. Two Diallos running the other team out of the gym and shooting 62 percent from the floor while making those hustle defensive plays that win you games. Hopefully Hayes comes out of the gate like Cheick because it took him a couple of seasons to excel in his role. Hayes will hopefully go way beyond that at some point, but it would be rad to have two Diallos this year.
    I am sorry to tell you this

But Diallo will very probably not be on the team next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I am sorry to tell you this

But Diallo will very probably not be on the team next year.
    Did I imply in my post that he would? I was talking about this season

Did I imply in my post that he would? I was talking about this season
    I mean this year, coming up. He's a free agent this summer and I don't think it's too likely that we go out of our way to resign him.

As our boy Dae said, I can see him playing a Diallo role. Introduce him to the NBA and put him into a situation where he can succeed.
    Diallo got ~ 10mpg his first two seasons and was a more experienced bball player than Hayes. His first season he only played in 17 games. Is that the expectation? Or is it the 14mpg Diallo got as a 3rd year pro on a team that wasn't playing for anything last year?

I like the pick and I'm high on the potential, I just don't think he's ready for even Diallo's role from last year at this point. Year 2 Diallo - 52 games and ~11 mpg? That's where I think I'm landing with Hayes.

I mean this year, coming up. He's a free agent this summer and I don't think it's too likely that we go out of our way to resign him.
    Noooooo!!!! I thought we had one more year. I love Cheick

Noooooo!!!! I thought we had one more year. I love Cheick
    Nope, his contract is up. We could extend his qualifying offer, and maybe we will (I think it's only like $1.8m or something) but we honestly might just rather have the roster spot.

Nope, his contract is up. We could extend his qualifying offer, and maybe we will (I think it's only like $1.8m or something) but we honestly might just rather have the roster spot.
    Well that ruined my day. Cheick is going to ring chase for certain now. I hope he wins 10 of them as the 3rd string big

Diallo got ~ 10mpg his first two seasons and was a more experienced bball player than Hayes. His first season he only played in 17 games. Is that the expectation? Or is it the 14mpg Diallo got as a 3rd year pro on a team that wasn't playing for anything last year?

I like the pick and I'm high on the potential, I just don't think he's ready for even Diallo's role from last year at this point. Year 2 Diallo - 52 games and ~11 mpg? That's where I think I'm landing with Hayes.
    Diallo played in 64 games this year and averaged 14 minutes per game.

I think Hayes could easily take that spot and absorb those minutes. You say that we weren't playing for anything last year, and that's true (particularly post AD trade request) but what we're playing for this season is development, cohesion, and experience. Nobody is expecting us to be playing for a playoff spot, or for 50 wins, or whatever. Just get the guys run, get them experience, see how they adjust to the game and allow them to grow. 15 minutes a night for a guy with Hayes' instant rim-running and protection abilities is totally fine.

Well that ruined my day. Cheick is going to ring chase for certain now. I hope he wins 10 of them as the 3rd string big
    I hope he does too.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Ultimate test of our ability to develop talent here. He makes very simple mistakes. Can he make fewer and then retain what he’s taught?

Then I hope he is the 3rd string big here!! Ten titles? I'll take it!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Bruh. This is absolutely disgusting.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    If we can bring Diallo back cheap I think you give him one more shot. He’s only 22 and could still become an important contributor.

That ain't Manute Bol making dunks with reach; that is a guy with serious elevation. His dunks are fine, but some of his blocks on the run are insane.

Hayes will be a much smarter javake McGee but with a hook shot, mid range game, and great ft percentage

Where can I get odds that "a Pelican NOT Named Zion", will win the dunk contest?

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Bruh. This is absolutely disgusting.
    In Gentry's system, with everyone able to rebound and run... what are the chances we see that in A GAME?!?!?

...we get to go McDonalds
    I think the big thing for Hayes is playing with Ball. He loves the long range transition passes.

NAW is also a gifted passer. All in all, not sure I would have selected Hayes cause I prefer guys who are proven “basketball” players, but I get it and I’m rooting for him.

In Gentry's system, with everyone able to rebound and run... what are the chances we see that in A GAME?!?!?
    I wouldn't guarantee it, but I would say the odds are higher than they would be for almost any other team.

Where can I get odds that "a Pelican NOT Named Zion", will win the dunk contest?
    Given that Zion said in an interview with Rachel Nichols that he's not really that interested in doing the dunk contest, whereas I think Hayes would probably be interested, pretty high.

Hayes is ridiculously athletic.

Claxton is shorter, has a smaller wingspan, shot far less efficiently from the floor, averaged a solidly lower steal percentage at the same age (one of the best and most consistent metrics for predicting NBA defensive success: 1.9% for Hayes, 0.5% for Claxton), averaged a lower block percentage (10.5% for Hayes, 8.0% for Claxton). Claxton is also a year older, and has all the same offensive issues as Hayes but without the excuse of the massive sudden growth spurt and the relatively new basketball background.

I do like Claxton, but I liked him as a late first rounder or a high second rounder, whereas I think Hayes deserves his top ten spot. They share a lot of the same technical advantages and disadvantages, but Hayes is just bigger, longer, bigger hands, younger, more efficient, more fluid, etc.
    They were both playing on trash teams, but Texas did have more talent, Georgia was completely void of any semblance of talent. The area in which Claxton has a good bit of an edge is handle and passing. Georgia’s offense ran through Claxton, and he was asked to be the primary playmaker. Obviously that won’t be his role in the NBA, but he actually performed pretty well. He could be an absolutely devastating pick and roll cover with his playmaking ability. I am sold on Hayes having more defensive potential, but Claxton ceiling there is pretty high as well. Hayes might have legit defensive player of the year potential on the high-high side of his potential. The only reason Im bring it up is if Hayes was the pick I would have liked to have gotten some value back and traded down, and taken Claxton later on.

Thread Information