Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Free Agent Targets

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    We really should do whatever we can to get Malcom Brogdon. He should get paid. I like Lonzo but he isn’t nearly as good as Brogdon. Maybe Lonzo will develop into a better player on offense but we need a starting pg that can play defense, shoot, and facilitate. I’d offer him more than the Bucks can pay him. Is that possible? We should move Moore and maybe other pieces to make space for Brogdon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I wonder what we could get from Miami for taking Whiteside on?

Dragic, Whiteside, and a top 10 protected 2022 1st for E'Twaun Moore and Frank Jackson would work. Sign DeMarre Carroll.
    Whiteside is a basketcase. Not interested.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    We really should do whatever we can to get Malcom Brogdon. He should get paid. I like Lonzo but he isn’t nearly as good as Brogdon. Maybe Lonzo will develop into a better player on offense but we need a starting pg that can play defense, shoot, and facilitate. I’d offer him more than the Bucks can pay him. Is that possible? We should move Moore and maybe other pieces to make space for Brogdon.

Lonzo is already a better defender and passer than Brogdon is. There's no doubt that Brogdon is a superior shooter, by a long shot, but saying ''maybe Lonzo will develop [...] but we need a starting PG that can play defense, shoot, and facilitate'' is kind of weird because Lonzo is better at two of those things than Brogdon is.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Whiteside is a basketcase. Not interested.
    A basketcase in a contract year can be managed more so than Miami has managed to with him knowing his future money is guaranteed. Gentry has dealt with Rondo and Boogie. He might be capable of dealing with Whiteside.

If Miami is willing to attach the right asset(s), I would hope Griff and crew wouldn't completely dismiss it. Worst case scenario is you move him at the deadline as a massive expiring!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Lonzo is already a better defender and passer than Brogdon is. There's no doubt that Brogdon is a superior shooter, by a long shot, but saying ''maybe Lonzo will develop [...] but we need a starting PG that can play defense, shoot, and facilitate'' is kind of weird because Lonzo is better at two of those things than Brogdon is.
    Lonzo is an awesome defender but why is Brogdon’s defensive rating 101 vs Lonzo’s which is 105? If you look at points allowed per 100 possessions Brogdon does significantly better on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Lonzo is an awesome defender but why is Brogdon’s defensive rating 101 vs Lonzo’s which is 105? If you look at points allowed per 100 possessions Brogdon does significantly better on defense.

Wow, using defensive rating on it's own?

If you compare Lonzo and Brogdon both using their statistics from last year, Lonzo averaged more steals, more blocks, more defensive rebounds (yes, rebounds are part of defense), a higher steal percentage, a higher block percentage, and had the better defensive box plus/minus.

If you look at their individual defensive results, you find that Lonzo held his opponents to shooting 1.4% worse than their averages overall, including 2.2% worse from outside of 15 feet. Brogdon, by comparison, only held his opponents to 0.1% worse than their averages overall. Brogdon was the superior interior defender (allowing opponents to shoot only 0.2% better than their averages inside of six feet, compared to Lonzo's 4.4% inside of six feet) but on the perimeter, Lonzo's oFG% is clearly better, even if only a little.

They're both very good defenders, but honestly Lonzo takes the cake in that category.

Wow, using defensive rating on it's own?

If you compare Lonzo and Brogdon both using their statistics from last year, Lonzo averaged more steals, more blocks, more defensive rebounds (yes, rebounds are part of defense), a higher steal percentage, a higher block percentage, and had the better defensive box plus/minus.

If you look at their individual defensive results, you find that Lonzo held his opponents to shooting 1.4% worse than their averages overall, including 2.2% worse from outside of 15 feet. Brogdon, by comparison, only held his opponents to 0.1% worse than their averages overall. Brogdon was the superior interior defender (allowing opponents to shoot only 0.2% better than their averages inside of six feet, compared to Lonzo's 4.4% inside of six feet) but on the perimeter, Lonzo's oFG% is clearly better, even if only a little.

They're both very good defenders, but honestly Lonzo takes the cake in that category.
    First I love Brogdon, but I never understood the he’s a very good defender line. He doesn’t hurt you there, but he’s not some stopper either. He a high iq team defender and is maybe a shade above league average on the ball. It might just be coming out of the Virginia system and the rep they have. I felt the same way about Hunter in the draft, people were making him out like he was some sort of stopper, he’s not. So much of that is just how Virginia plays defense, and the fact most college teams can break it because they don’t have enough shooting or playmaking.

I don't think that Hayes will end up getting many minutes, to be honest, at least not to start the season. So you shouldn't be signing players with him and rotations in mind. It's all about the locker-room presence, and that training partner who can show him the details and the fundamentals in a practical, one on one situation.

I also doubt that we could get him here. It's definitely worth the call, but I just feel (like you do) that he's probably going to end up going somewhere with a hope at a title, for very possibly more money than we would want to give.

I think Hayes is gonna play right away. I just don’t know the minutes he will get. Unless we do sign a big time free agent and they are serious about a possible deep playoff run right away with Golden State wounded. The west is wide open like it hasn’t been in years, so next year might be the only real shot another team has for a while. He’s gonna have to get some experience and I think they want both him & Zion to grow together.

It depends on what teams will want to sign Horford. If a title team doesn’t want to spend the money he wants, he could possibly come here for more money. Not sure if I want to pay him a ton though either. Not too many teams have a 1-4 with the potential we have on the roster. The only playoff caliber teams that could use a center look to be possibly Portland, the Clippers, and maybe rejoining Boston. Unless he wants to go to a Knicks team if they sign two other big time free agents. Golden State, Houston, Indiana, the Lakers, OKC, Orlando, Brooklyn, Denver, Philly, & Utah is not likely to sign him cause they either have a center or can’t afford him. Maybe San Antonio, Toronto, or Milwaukee could but not sure about their cap situations. They really only have 6 teams that could maybe sign him that look to be playoff caliber teams. Maybe we will look better than some of those teams with the additions we made and him being one of the leaders with Jrue.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I think Hayes is gonna play right away. I just don’t know the minutes he will get. Unless we do sign a big time free agent and they are serious about a possible deep playoff run right away with Golden State wounded. The west is wide open like it hasn’t been in years, so next year might be the only real shot another team has for a while. He’s gonna have to get some experience and I think they want both him & Zion to grow together.

It depends on what teams will want to sign Horford. If a title team doesn’t want to spend the money he wants, he could possibly come here for more money. Not sure if I want to pay him a ton though either. Not too many teams have a 1-4 with the potential we have on the roster. The only playoff caliber teams that could use a center look to be possibly Portland, the Clippers, and maybe rejoining Boston. Unless he wants to go to a Knicks team if they sign two other big time free agents. Golden State, Houston, Indiana, the Lakers, OKC, Orlando, Brooklyn, Denver, Philly, & Utah is not likely to sign him cause they either have a center or can’t afford him. Maybe San Antonio, Toronto, or Milwaukee could but not sure about their cap situations. They really only have 6 teams that could maybe sign him that look to be playoff caliber teams. Maybe we will look better than some of those teams with the additions we made and him being one of the leaders with Jrue.
    You forgot to mention the team rumored to have serious interest in him, the Dallas Mavericks.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    A basketcase in a contract year can be managed more so than Miami has managed to with him knowing his future money is guaranteed. Gentry has dealt with Rondo and Boogie. He might be capable of dealing with Whiteside.

If Miami is willing to attach the right asset(s), I would hope Griff and crew wouldn't completely dismiss it. Worst case scenario is you move him at the deadline as a massive expiring!
    It was a much different situation with Rondo and Boogie. We now have a very young locker room that Griffin is looking for the right culture for. Whiteside is not someone you want in your locker room with young guys. The Adams proposal makes much more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    It was a much different situation with Rondo and Boogie. We now have a very young locker room that Griffin is looking for the right culture for. Whiteside is not someone you want in your locker room with young guys. The Adams proposal makes much more sense.
    I ageee with whiteside don’t want him no where around this team

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    You forgot to mention the team rumored to have serious interest in him, the Dallas Mavericks.
    Yes but are they playoff contenders much less title contenders?

Plus they are paying Tim Hardaway Jr, Dwight Powell, & Courtney Lee a combined ~$41 million(whoops I was off 10 Mil lol) next year. They won’t be able to sign Porzingis & Horford the max or even close to it. I heard they wanted to move Courtney Lee and his $12.8 million he’s due this year, but it didn’t happen during the draft.

This is why I didn’t include them cause I think for sure they gonna resign Porzingis.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-23-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Dwayne Dedmon should be an obvious target.

I know this doesn’t deal with the team, but kind of does since we are really invested in the Lakers success or failure, preferably failure!!

I actually hope the Lakers make room for Kemba Walker. They would be better off signing a few good players over one max guy IMO. If they sign Kemba Walker they will only be able to afford minimum players to fill out the rest of their roster.

C: AD
    PF: Kuzma
    SF: LeBron
    SG: Horton-Tucker (just a place holder, but maybe not lol)
    PG: Kemba

Then if AD misses his usual amount of games they will be in a world of hurt during that/those stretch/es. But I’m sure some decent older vets will take the minimum just to play with LeBron, AD, & Kemba and chase a ring. I doubt any younger guys would except the guys that would only make the minimum anyway. I don’t think you can win a title with 70+% of your roster filled with minimum players. You need to have at least a couple legit players coming off your bench. I don’t think you can win with a bunch of older ring chasing players filling out your roster too. A mix of really older vets with younger fringe NBA players is not a great recipe for success IMO.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-23-2019 at 03:39 PM.

The more I think about it, the more bogdonovic is the perfect fit, he can play both small forward and power forward and is an assassin from 3, you could start him at the 3 and let Ingram play the 6th man role, or run him at the 4 and Zion at the 5 for small ball, and to close out games. Fact of the matter is, we need a big who can stretch the floor and while he isn’t a typical power forward, he has played Jt before and can defend the position just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I know this doesn’t deal with the team, but kind of does since we are really invested in the Lakers success or failure, preferably failure!!

I actually hope the Lakers make room for Kemba Walker. They would be better off signing a few good players over one max guy IMO. If they sign Kemba Walker they will only be able to afford minimum players to fill out the rest of their roster.

C: AD
    PF: Kuzma
    SF: LeBron
    SG: Horton-Tucker (just a place holder, but maybe not lol)
    PG: Kemba

Then if AD misses his usual amount of games they will be in a world of hurt during that/those stretch/es. But I’m sure some decent vets will take the minimum just to play with LeBron, AD, & Kemba and chase a ring. I doubt any younger guys would except the guys that would only make the minimum anyway. I don’t think you can win a title with 70+% of your roster filled with minimum players. You need to have at least a couple legit players coming off your bench. I don’t think you can win with a bunch of older ring chasing players filling out your roster too. A mix of really older vets with younger fringe NBA players is not a great recipe for success IMO.
    Since it looks like it will be difficult for the Lakers to clear the required room for a 7+ year max player, the rumor is that they are considering pursuing a reunion with DeAngelo Russell as his max number is attainable if AD waves his trade kicker.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    The more I think about it, the more bogdonovic is the perfect fit, he can play both small forward and power forward and is an assassin from 3, you could start him at the 3 and let Ingram play the 6th man role, or run him at the 4 and Zion at the 5 for small ball, and to close out games. Fact of the matter is, we need a big who can stretch the floor and while he isn’t a typical power forward, he has played Jt before and can defend the position just fine.
    I also think he would be a perfect fit. He was asked to do to much for Indy in the playoffs but like I said he would fit nicely with his shooting

Is he restricted?

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Is he restricted?
    Unrestricted & made $10.5m last season. I been saying I want him too. How much you think he'll be asking for?

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Unrestricted & made $10.5m last season. I been saying I want him too. How much you think he'll be asking for?
    I really like your idea then. I think he'd be really effective in most of our lineups. But shooting has been at a premium for obvious reasons, and shooting and size make GM's lose their minds (see: Ryan Anderson). Wouldn't shock me if he something like $60 mil over 3 years especially with all the cap room out there. If we're going to overpay, he wouldn't be a bad option to overpay for, but his timeline doesn't line up all that great with ours and Griff might not want to blow most of the cap space he's created this early.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    I really like your idea then. I think he'd be really effective in most of our lineups. But shooting has been at a premium for obvious reasons, and shooting and size make GM's lose their minds (see: Ryan Anderson). Wouldn't shock me if he something like $60 mil over 3 years especially with all the cap room out there. If we're going to overpay, he wouldn't be a bad option to overpay for, but his timeline doesn't line up all that great with ours and Griff might not want to blow most of the cap space he's created this early.
    I agree with that. Ideally id like Bogdonovic to take about $16m for 2 or 3 years.

Then sign a stretch 4 like Niko for about $15m and run it with Okafor Starting with Hayes and Wood off of the bench

OR

We sign a 5 like Dwayne Dedmon for about $10-12m for 2 years then keep Okafor, and Hayes.

Either scenario is good to me WITH Bogdonovic.

HOWEVER judging by what ive seen by Griff so far, we'll look for much cheaper options especially at the three. I think we'll look to sign more depth and shooters more than anything. Players like Justin Holiday(SF), Thabo Sefelosha(SF), Demarre Carroll(SF), Etc. Then a cheaper big man that can spread the floor like a Niko, Lopez, Dedmon, etc. Which I wouldnt mind too much either as our players devolop
    Last edited by hornetzplaya; 06-23-2019 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Grammer

If griff was smart he would over pay someone he wants but on a 2 year deal only

If griff was smart he would over pay someone he wants but on a 2 year deal only
    Why would overpaying be smart?

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    Why would overpaying be smart?
    Because our cap space isn't that important right now. We aren't going to be an attractive destination for the real difference makers like Kawhi Leonard, at least not at this point, and there's no use saving it for next season because the 2020 FA class is garbage. May as well just secure someone decent on a short team deal who fits but leaves our salary free in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    That's my thought. I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of either, just because the contracts on both guys are legitimately absurd (and the Adams one lasts even longer) but at least Adams is (by all reports I've heard) a legitimately decent guy, easy to get along with, good locker room presence. At the same time, Adams is not a selfish player, does the gritty work (boxes out and sets screens like a madman), and is willing to sacrifice his numbers for others. Westbrook's artificially inflated rebounds stats will tell you that much.

Thread Information