Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Free Agent Targets

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    How much would you pay for Vucevic?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I wouldn't pay more than $15m a year, for 2 years.

There is absolutely no way in the burning pits of hell that he takes that, because he will have at least one max contract sat on the table. But I don't see him as a long term element of this team, and I wouldn't want to pay him that much nor have him on contract long term.
    Basketball.

Pass. No point of dumping a max slot for him. I would try to find a max position player at SF, or PG. I think Center needs a stop gap vet at best with Jason, now.
    Last edited by Taker597; 06-22-2019 at 10:37 AM.

If we could sign Horford (2 years $40 million), Mirotic (3 years $45 million), then re-sign Elfrid Payton with our exception money, would could be playoff contenders. The word is that Horford has not been offered a $100 million contract as previously reported. I would bet that his agent is trying to pump up his market.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Anybody else love Josh Hart? The guy repping us hard in this biznitch
    Honestly I was a big fan before he got here. He works hard, shoots the ball fairly well (particularly from the corner) and gives good effort on D.... fights through screens, tracks cutters, helps well. I know 6'5 is a touch short to be a legit wing offering 3 and D, and he isnt exactly lights out... but the love he has given the team already, fight he has shown just to be in the league, and his effort on D makes him valuable. I also think he will continue to develop as a player and assuming he is given the chance, will contribute to the team

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    If we could sign Horford (2 years $40 million), Mirotic (3 years $45 million), then re-sign Elfrid Payton with our exception money, would could be playoff contenders. The word is that Horford has not been offered a $100 million contract as previously reported. I would bet that his agent is trying to pump up his market.
    I'd probably go for Niko. But other than that ill pass. I'm in no immediate rush to win now. So ill pass on signing Horford and Payton.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I wouldn't pay more than $15m a year, for 2 years.

There is absolutely no way in the burning pits of hell that he takes that, because he will have at least one max contract sat on the table. But I don't see him as a long term element of this team, and I wouldn't want to pay him that much nor have him on contract long term.
    $15 million a year is not realistic. If you look at his value using advanced metrics, he had a VORP of 5.3 last season which if you multiply times 2.70 equals 14.31 wins over replacement level player (WARP). The salary cap is $109 million this upcoming season. Divide $109 million by 41 wins which is the average for every team in the league over a full season and you get 1 WARP = $2.66 million. So take his 14.31 WARP times $2.66 million and you get his value around $38 million which is obviously max level worthy. That's why we shouldn't even bother negotiating with him.

If you use win shares over VORP, his value is around $27 million which I think is more reasonable.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

My mid range picks

1. D Rose
    2. Robin Lopez
    3. Kennith Fared

My high budget pipe dreams
    1. Kemba
    2. Brogdon
    3. Bog

Need to throw every dollar we have at vucevic

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I think I would rather throw significantly less dollars at Lopez, but I see the attraction.

There are some on here who would approach our rebuild penny wise and pound foolish.

We know Griff wants to add an all star level talent to this team and we know clearing cap space was important to him.

Maybe it's a salary dump acquisition for a guy like Adams or Batum that gets us more future assets. Or maybe Griff wants to sign a guy who could be the 2nd All Star level player to add to Jrue.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Given the depth on this team at this point, I’m not sure it makes sense to add multiple FAs. Team as constructed is already a good 7-9 deep depending on how you see some dudes.

Maxi Kleber (6'11", 240#), a RFA (Dallas). Currently: $1.1MM per year. My Offer: $7.5MM per year (3 years; 2 guaranteed with club option on third year) and see what Dallas does.

He could be the perfect place holder (if not more) until Hayes is ready. Make no mistake...I still think Brook Lopez is the man we need to focus on (he will open up driving lanes for Williamson), but Kleber's skill set can help us considerably on the defensive end (remember Okafor is offensively gifted but defensively challenged).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9LdY39PUCg

NOTE: At first, I was ambivalent, but now I think I would like to see Julius Randall come back (especially if we could get Lopez)

I would try to sign Niko for 2 years, 30 million and Payton for 2 years, 20 million, so that would equal about 25 million and we should have around 30 million to spend I think. I’m sure they would both want longer deals, but I would try to stay flexible for 2021. If I have to I’d increase Niko’s money to between 32-36 million. I think Payton should be worth from 10-12 million a year. But he did have some injury issues, so I may try to get him for what we paid Randle last year in the 8 million range. I couldn’t believe we got him for 3 million last year, so who knows what he will take. Next years free agent market isn’t all that great, but 2021 could be interesting. Plus Ball’s contract will be up in case we want to bring him back at that time.

I wanted Vucevic if we didn’t draft a center, but we did. Vucevic is gonna get a max deal since he’s the best center on the market. Cousins is right there with him, but he didn’t help his case this past season. I’m fine with not being a playoff team next season, but on the cusp. I rather bring in a stretch 4 that can start at times with Zion depending on the matchup. Then hopefully Hayes is ready to start at mid season or towards the end of the year depending on how our record is at those times. He better be starting at the beginning of next season at the latest.

I would be really happy with this depth chart to start next season:

C: Okafor, Hayes, Wood
    PF: Zion, Niko
    SF: Ingram, Hart
    SG: Jrue, NAW, Moore
    PG: Ball, Payton, Jackson
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-22-2019 at 12:24 PM.

I wouldn't sign players trying to be a playoff team. But nor would I NOT sign players because I'm not trying to be a playoff team.

What are the needs on this team, and who are the absolute best players we can realistically sign to fill those needs? That's all I'm thinking. I have so much flexibility because of draft assets and young players on rookie deals, that I'm not scared to pay the right guys the money it would take to get them here.

Heck no. We are not in a win now mode. We should not be throwing a max at a 29 year old center.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Maxi Kleber (6'11", 240#), a RFA (Dallas). Currently: $1.1MM per year. My Offer: $7.5MM per year (3 years; 2 guaranteed with club option on third year) and see what Dallas does.

He could be the perfect place holder (if not more) until Hayes is ready. Make no mistake...I still think Brook Lopez is the man we need to focus on (he will open up driving lanes for Williamson), but Kleber's skill set can help us considerably on the defensive end (remember Okafor is offensively gifted but defensively challenged).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9LdY39PUCg

NOTE: At first, I was ambivalent, but now I think I would like to see Julius Randall come back (especially if we could get Lopez)
    Kleber is not that good though. Why target him?

I wouldn't sign players trying to be a playoff team. But nor would I NOT sign players because I'm not trying to be a playoff team.

What are the needs on this team, and who are the absolute best players we can realistically sign to fill those needs? That's all I'm thinking. I have so much flexibility because of draft assets and young players on rookie deals, that I'm not scared to pay the right guys the money it would take to get them here.
    I believe this is the right mindset for free agency, especially if there are no more trades in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Kleber is not that good though. Why target him?
    Whatever veteran height we have on this team is defensively challenged. Even with 'the departed' and all his shot blocking ability, this team has been a train wreck defensively.

Yea going to have to pass on Maxi Kleber. Not productive enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    Yea going to have to pass on Maxi Kleber. Not productive enough for me.
    I think he would be a bargain for a couple of years until Hayes or someone else presents themselves. This team lost a ton off block shots to LA recently, and Kleber is a nice rim protector. And the man shot 41% from three over the second half of the season (we do need to open up driving lanes for the Gentry Offense to work).

Perfect? No (I already confessed that Brook Lopez is my fantasy free agent pick up). But, I think Kleber would be an upgrade from what we currently have at center, though I would never deny you your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Heck no. We are not in a win now mode. We should not be throwing a max at a 29 year old center.
    We are absolutely in win now mode.

We are not in sacrifice the future to win now mode.

Those are two different modes, IMO, that we need to clearly distinguish between!

I know this is a free agency thread, but I would like to throw one trade suggestion out there. One of the pieces that Memphis got in the Mike Conley trade was Jae Crowder. He has one year on his deal for around $8 million. I know that he still doesn't fill the team's need for shooters, but I just see him as a guy who can provide some of that veteran presence that the Pelicans can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    $15 million a year is not realistic.
    I know. That's why the second sentence in my post was ''there is absolutely no way in the burning pits of hell that he takes that''. My point wasn't that he wasn't worth that money: for a team that needs a big time player to fill a role to help them win now, he is.

We aren't that team, so for US, he's not worth that money, particularly long term.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I would try to sign Niko for 2 years, 30 million and Payton for 2 years, 20 million, so that would equal about 25 million and we should have around 30 million to spend I think. I’m sure they would both want longer deals, but I would try to stay flexible for 2021. If I have to I’d increase Niko’s money to between 32-36 million. I think Payton should be worth from 10-12 million a year. But he did have some injury issues, so I may try to get him for what we paid Randle last year in the 8 million range. I couldn’t believe we got him for 3 million last year, so who knows what he will take. Next years free agent market isn’t all that great, but 2021 could be interesting. Plus Ball’s contract will be up in case we want to bring him back at that time.

I wanted Vucevic if we didn’t draft a center, but we did. Vucevic is gonna get a max deal since he’s the best center on the market. Cousins is right there with him, but he didn’t help his case this past season. I’m fine with not being a playoff team next season, but on the cusp. I rather bring in a stretch 4 that can start at times with Zion depending on the matchup. Then hopefully Hayes is ready to start at mid season or towards the end of the year depending on how our record is at those times. He better be starting at the beginning of next season at the latest.

I would be really happy with this depth chart to start next season:

C: Okafor, Hayes, Wood
    PF: Zion, Niko
    SF: Ingram, Hart
    SG: Jrue, NAW, Moore
    PG: Ball, Payton, Jackson
    I don’t see Payton getting more than $5-8 million a year. He has never been a consistently reliable PG on a winning team. I think he is a very good true PG backup to Ball who has his injury concerns. Mirotic is my #1 target this offseason at about $15 million a year which is reasonable value.

Thread Information