Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Free Agent Targets

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    we can take on a guy like batum who can actually help whole getting more assets for taking him off their hands. honestly think he's setting us for either Feb or next year to trade for a big time player

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Just because Beal isn't available now doesn't mean he won't be in another year or so. It appears Griff is setting the table to get that all star he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Just because Beal isn't available now doesn't mean he won't be in another year or so. It appears Griff is setting the table to get that all star he wanted.
    exactly what I was thinking I mean we seem hell bent on getting Beal lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I would target a point guard and power forward preferably a stretch 4. So I would hope to get Payton back for 8 million or less for a season or two. A shooting point guard would probably be a better move though. Then I would target maybe one of the Morris twins for a year or 2. I would love to bring back Nico or maybe Bobby Portis, but those guys may cost more than I want to spend. But we should have like 30 million or so and we will have to spend it I guess.

I would try to make sure I got room to try for Dame Lillard in 2021.

Wouldn't mind Tyus Jones, Quinn Cook, Shabazz Napier if not happy with Frank being backup.

Dedmon, Lopez and Boogie should be targets at C

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I would try to make sure I got room to try for Dame Lillard in 2021.
    I appreciate the thought but there is no chance he doesn’t get the supermax. I would find it difficult to believe that he would turn that down to take less to come to New Orleans.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    I appreciate the thought but there is no chance he doesn’t get the supermax. I would find it difficult to believe that he would turn that down to take less to come to New Orleans.
    No way we will get Lillard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Trade for Beal sign Horford.

Lillard isn't leaving Portland

I would target a point guard and power forward. Then I might bring in a small forward as well.

Point guard:
    Elfrid Payton, Quinn Cook, Terry Rozier, Emmanuel Mudiay, Jeremy Lin, Jose Juan Barea, & Shabazz Napier could all be point guard targets in that good backup range.

Unless we do go out and spend for a top starter like DLo Russell, Malcolm Brogdon, Ricky Rubio, and maybe Derrick Rose is in that category but he’s a backup.

Power forward:
    Julius Randle, Nico Mirotic, Paul Millsap, Jabari Parker, Marcus Morris, Bobby Portis, Thaddeus Young, Al-Farouq Aminu in that starter category but could also be top notch backups.

Then you got Taj Gibson, Kenneth Faried, Markief Morris, Jeff Green, & JaMychal Green in that not so much starter, backup spot IMO.

Small forward/wing:
    Rudy Gay, Trevor Ariza, Kelly Oubre, Justin Holiday, James Ennis, Wilson Chandler, Terence Ross, Jeremy Lamb, Rodney Hood, Reggie Bullock, & DeMarre Carroll

with

Thabo Sefolosha, Daniel House, Iman Shumpert, Garrett Temple, Gerald Green, Nik Stauskas, Alex Abrines, Wayne Selden, Patrick McCaw, Furkan Korkmaz, MarShon Brooks, Nick Young, Ben McElmore, Alec Burks, Ronda Hollis-Jefferson, Mario Hezonja, Stanley Johnson, Dorian Finney-Smith, & Corey Brewer

I would look for one of those wings that could come really cheap that can play some 3 and shoot the 3 with ok D.

So we may do best going for the better power forward/stretch 4, with one of those point guards in that 1st group preferably Payton, Cook, or Rozier, and one of those cheap wings.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-21-2019 at 08:41 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    We got rid of Solo to get Solo out the locker room. If Solo was Jared Dudley off the court, but the exact same player he was last year on the court, I’m not sure we trade him. Instead Solo was the anti-Dudley.

You say that about Lillard but many have passed on the super max. He will already be an extremely rich 31 year old when he’s due for his new deal. He might be ready for a change of scenery by then. A starting team of Jaxson Hayes, Zion Williamson, Brandon Ingram, & Nickeil Alexander-Walker could be quite enticing if they are as good as we hope by then. And who knows what other big time rookies we get our hands on before then. We might have an even better center or shooting guard taken in the 2020 or 2021 draft. We have one of the brightest futures out of any team for the next decade if we play our cards right. If we somehow get that top pick in 2021 and land Jalen Green we may not need him. Dude is already the best player in high school at 16 and getting compared to Kobe.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-21-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bustah View Post
    Wouldn't mind Tyus Jones, Quinn Cook, Shabazz Napier if not happy with Frank being backup.

Dedmon, Lopez and Boogie should be targets at C
    I wouldn’t want Boogie’s attitude poisoning the well. He is a perennial loser for a reason. Let him stay in California and sign with the Lakers on a cheap championship chasing contract, so we can be assured of their failure.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 06-21-2019 at 09:43 PM.

I would target a point guard and power forward. Then I might bring in a small forward as well.

Point guard:
    Elfrid Payton, Quinn Cook, Terry Rozier, Emmanuel Mudiay, Jeremy Lin, Jose Juan Barea, & Shabazz Napier could all be point guard targets in that good backup range.

Unless we do go out and spend for a top starter like DLo Russell, Malcolm Brogdon, Ricky Rubio, and maybe Derrick Rose is in that category but he’s a backup.

Power forward:
    Julius Randle, Nico Mirotic, Paul Millsap, Jabari Parker, Marcus Morris, Bobby Portis, Thaddeus Young, Al-Farouq Aminu in that starter category but could also be top notch backups.

Then you got Taj Gibson, Kenneth Faried, Markief Morris, Jeff Green, & JaMychal Green in that not so much starter, backup spot IMO.

Small forward/wing:
    Rudy Gay, Trevor Ariza, Kelly Oubre, Justin Holiday, James Ennis, Wilson Chandler, Terence Ross, Jeremy Lamb, Rodney Hood, Reggie Bullock, & DeMarre Carroll

with

Thabo Sefolosha, Daniel House, Iman Shumpert, Garrett Temple, Gerald Green, Nik Stauskas, Alex Abrines, Wayne Selden, Patrick McCaw, Furkan Korkmaz, MarShon Brooks, Nick Young, Ben McElmore, Alec Burks, Ronda Hollis-Jefferson, Mario Hezonja, Stanley Johnson, Dorian Finney-Smith, & Corey Brewer

I would look for one of those wings that could come really cheap that can play some 3 and shoot the 3 with ok D.

So we may do best going for the better power forward/stretch 4, with one of those point guards in that 1st group preferably Payton, Cook, or Rozier, and one of those cheap wings.
    Personally I dont think we need a Point Guard THAT bad. With Zo, Hart(hybrid), and F-Jax I think we'll be decent. Plus NAW could fill in for a bit too.

However for the SF I say we sign Justin Holiday, Jeremy Lamb(preferably) or Demarre Carrol because we can get them for less than $10m.

Then for the PF/C I say we go for Taj Gibson. Solid vet and has always been consistent throught his career.
    Last edited by hornetzplaya; 06-21-2019 at 10:12 PM.

I would love to see

Niko Mirotic, Elfrid Payton, & Gerald Green(I been wanting to add Green for years)

C: Okafor, Hayes, Wood
    PF: Zion, Niko
    SF: Ingram, Hart, Green
    SG: Jrue, NAW, Moore
    PG: Ball, Payton, Jackson

I think Niko liked it here in NOLA. I think a lot of foreign players like it here due to its European feel in some ways. Payton may be looking for a chance to start, but with Ball he could have his shot. Plus it doesn’t hurt that he’s from Gretna. I like the hometown kid a lot and if he hadn’t gotten hurt early on this past season could of possibly went different. But I’m so glad it didn’t hehe. Gerald Green has good size at 6’8” and can shoot it pretty good. He was once an unreal athlete, but he’s now 33. If not him I would hope to bring in an older vet with some playoff experience. I would keep Moore with his 8 million and maybe move him during the season. He’s a nice vet for the youngsters to learn from and an ultimate professional. We would probably be better off just keeping him and not signing Green or another wing. He played good for us in a 3 guard lineup.

I totally forgot about NAW lol. Big NAWlins!! I’d try to move Moore then.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-21-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Who feels comfortable with Jahlil Okafor as our starting center? I don’t because of his poor defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Who feels comfortable with Jahlil Okafor as our starting center? I don’t because of his poor defense.
    I am until Hayes is ready. I don’t think Hayes will be ready to start right away. We will have good help defense with Zion, Jrue, & Ball and Ingram’s length to cover for him a bit. Depending on the team I would have Niko or whoever we sign probably starting a good bit. Only a few teams that have true dominate centers starting.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-21-2019 at 10:46 PM.

I am until Hayes is ready. I don’t think Hayes will be ready to start right away. We will have good help defense with Zion, Jrue, & Ball and Ingram’s length to cover for him a bit. Depending on the team I would have Niko or whoever we sign probably starting a good bit. Only a few teams that have true dominate centers starting.
    I think with Hayes you have two real options. Either you start him, and then pull him relatively quickly, or you put him in the Diallo role for the first few months of the season.

Diallo was playing something like 20 minutes a game by the end of last season, and I think Hayes should be starting off around that kind of usage. He needs on court run, but for a guy who didn't play heavy minutes in college and is a little bit of a project it's unfair to throw him out there for 35 minutes a game and just expect magic. Much better to give him good minutes, but mainly against backup bigs for a couple of months to just let him adjust to the pace and style of the NBA without getting overwhelmed. Maybe up his minutes around January if he's showing good progress.
    Basketball.

As optimistic as I am about Hayes' future potential, I recognize that he needs some serious time in the weight room pumping iron and he could use some time in the buffet line too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    As optimistic as I am about Hayes' future potential, I recognize that he needs some serious time in the weight room pumping iron and he could use some time in the buffet line too.
    Agree with that. He's about 220lbs now. Other big men who weigh around that amount include:

Thad Young: 6'9'', 221lbs
    Nerlens Noel: 6'11'', 220lbs
    Ed Davis: 6'10, 224lbs.

Hayes is 6'11.5''. I'd like him to get up to maybe around 235 or 240. That would put him in the same weight range as Ibaka, Montrezl Harrel, Clint Capela, Giannis Antetokoumnpo, and Rudy Gobert. That would give him just that little bit extra strength in the post, and shouldn't be heavy enough to drag his mobility down.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Well, David Griffin didn’t draft Anthony Bennett, Chris Grant did. Can we laugh now? That’s actually what lead to Griffin getting the permanent GM role and subsequently building a championship around Lebron James.

Edit: I see you now say “championed” Anthony Bennett. Guessing you realized that wasn’t him.
    Yea Griff came out and admitted Grant was actually the guy least on board with drafting Bennett. Which in a weird way makes me like him more. Even though I think the picks and trades he made and supported were kind of spotty (2 1sts for MoZGov cmon). Many of them were defensible, some werent. But having a GM who can admit mistakes means no more trading a first for Asik and then giving him a dumb contract.

But my point stands despite Griff being a well regarded exec around the league, his transaction history is not all that good. Langdon seems well respected too but he really has just about nothing where I can say Landon was the reason behind that particular move or that particular pick.

I think they are doing a solid (not great but solid) job so far though. But if they go out in FA and spend all the cap on 2 non shooters and I complain I don't want to here a bunch of 'trust griff' comments. We as fans have the right to question decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Yea Griff came out and admitted Grant was actually the guy least on board with drafting Bennett. Which in a weird way makes me like him more. Even though I think the picks and trades he made and supported were kind of spotty (2 1sts for MoZGov cmon). Many of them were defensible, some werent. But having a GM who can admit mistakes means no more trading a first for Asik and then giving him a dumb contract.

But my point stands despite Griff being a well regarded exec around the league, his transaction history is not all that good. Langdon seems well respected too but he really has just about nothing where I can say Landon was the reason behind that particular move or that particular pick.

I think they are doing a solid (not great but solid) job so far though. But if they go out in FA and spend all the cap on 2 non shooters and I complain I don't want to here a bunch of 'trust griff' comments. We as fans have the right to question decisions.
    That is the life of being a GM. None have pristine records. And for the record, I really wish people would stop brining up that Asik deal here. AT THAT TIME most were completely on board with that contract and giving up a first to get him here. To sit here and point at that today is nothing but revisionist 20/20.

At this point most of us like this draft. In 2022 if things dont go well or if it hasnt shown any promise, you'll have those same people talking about how awful Griff was for this draft and who he could have gotten instead. These are things you have to deal with as GM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I'm making my prediction!
    One of these dudes will be a Pelican...

We could trade for these guys into cap space:

Capella ($74m/4yrs)
    Adams ($53m/2yrs)
    Love ($120m/4yrs)
    Griffin ($110m/3yrs)
    Biyombo ($17m/1yr)
    T. Thomspon ($18m/1yr)
    Plumlee ($14m/1yr)
    Olynyk ($26m/2yrs)
    Meyers Leonard ($11m/1yr)
    Marc Gasol ($25m/1yr)

or we could target these dudes in free agency:

Robin Lopez and/or Brook Lopez
    Dedmon
    Kevon Looney
    W. Caulie-Stein
    Valanciunas
    Vucevic
    Horford
    Niko Mirotic
    JaMychal Green
    Julius Randle
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 06-22-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    David Griffin championed Anthony Bennett.

So far I trust his understanding of value and negotiating. He's done a good job there. His ability to scout for talent I do not trust.
    No he didn’t. That’s a bold-face lie. He wasn’t the acting GM until 2014.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Anybody else love Josh Hart? The guy repping us hard in this biznitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    No he didn’t. That’s a bold-face lie. He wasn’t the acting GM until 2014.

Nah it's true. Griff had an interview, I think in SI but maybe somewhere else, where he said that pretty much the entire front office, including himself, was in on Bennett. He also admitted that that was obviously a mistake and he's learned from it, and he's also learned to listen to the dissenting opinions thoroughly as a result. It's part of what makes him such an open minded team-oriented guy today.

Thread Information