Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Free Agent Targets

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    David Griffin championed Anthony Bennett.

So far I trust his understanding of value and negotiating. He's done a good job there. His ability to scout for talent I do not trust.
    Trajan Langdon is the GM. I trust his ability to scout talent.

Bojan Bogdanovic finished last year with a .425% at the 3 which ranked him 10th in the league and he averages .389% career. His shooting has shown improvement over time. Last year he attempted 4.8 3s per game. He is a .463% FG shooter and .846% career from the line. He was on a 2yr/21m contract for the last two seasons so it wouldn't be a stretch to afford him and leave us with considerable cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Trajan Langdon is the GM. I trust his ability to scout talent.
    It would be naive to think Griff has no input there. Nets have been phenomenal draftees but unsure how much of that was because of Trajan

It would be naive to think Griff has no input there. Nets have been phenomenal draftees but unsure how much of that was because of Trajan
    Haha. You lost that round.

Of course he is going to value Langdon on that. It's the reason he brought him in. He saw his weakness and hired someone to sure it up.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpnose View Post
    Tel me again why Randall opted out again, and why he's not a good fit as backup Co-F/C ? Does he want too much $ ?
    Also, I think that whatever low to medium level players we sign, (like VC, for instance) need to buy into mentoring Z and the young guns !
    I wouldn't completely close the door to Julius. I could see us giving him a very large 1+1, depending on how his market develops. Ideally, the option is in the Pelicans favor this time.

I think he fits the culture we're trying to build off the court, can provide outside shooting, and would be a pretty good trade chip if the option favors the team. With a stout defensive backcourt, length and effort from Ingram on the wing, and Zion in a Draymond like role on a defense, I think Julius' defensive woes could be mitigated. He's not perfect. But it doesn't have to be next year.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    Bojan Bogdanovic finished last year with a .425% at the 3 which ranked him 10th in the league and he averages .389% career. His shooting has shown improvement over time. Last year he attempted 4.8 3s per game. He is a .463% FG shooter and .846% career from the line. He was on a 2yr/21m contract for the last two seasons so it wouldn't be a stretch to afford him and leave us with considerable cap space.
    He is absolutely the guy we need to go after. But I think he's getting a lot more than 10.5mil per season.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 06-21-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    We just signed undrafted FA Zylan Cheatham.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spor...132993330/Amp/

Eagerly awaiting the Dom2K video of "How did 60 guys get drafted before Zylan Cheatham?" 6-7 years from now

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshinePumper View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spor...132993330/Amp/

Eagerly awaiting the Dom2K video of "How did 60 guys get drafted before Zylan Cheatham?" 6-7 years from now
    I actually like Cheatham's game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    He is going to be a hot commodity. He may be too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    He is absolutely the guy we need to go after. But I think he's getting a lot more than 10.5mil per season.
    To me, it's less about salary since we have a ton of space. We can (and maybe will) overpay the right guys on shorter deals.

But I think it's all about the minutes. I'd expect Ingram to get 30 minutes next year, and play all of them at SF. I don't think Bojan would be interested in the minutes reduction in what he probably thinks is his prime. Can he play PF in some lineups?

Something else that really bothers me about the #4 trade is offloading Solomon Hill and maybe taking the worse of the two Atlanta draft picks in exchange. Are we going to use it? It’ll be a waste if we passed on 10 to not make use of the cap space we gained.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Haha. You lost that round.

Of course he is going to value Langdon on that. It's the reason he brought him in. He saw his weakness and hired someone to sure it up.
    I didn't lose anything.

I will reiterate Griff will have input on all basketball decisions, scouting included and Again what proof do you have Langdon is a good scout. There really isn't any that I've seen.

But sure laugh at me for having a healthy amount of skepticism when it comes to the front office and not putting my blind trust in them. Yall did when I said the same about Demps and now the same posters are acting like they were on my side all along. I actually like Griffin and Langdon but it's important to note neither has an established great track record.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    He is going to be a hot commodity. He may be too expensive.
    Yeah, I think Bojan will get an overpay. Mirotic is a better target at $15 million a year for 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpnose View Post
    Tel me again why Randall opted out again, and why he's not a good fit as backup Co-F/C ? Does he want too much $ ?
    Also, I think that whatever low to medium level players we sign, (like VC, for instance) need to buy into mentoring Z and the young guns !
    There's a billion free agent dollars available for this class and he should easily be able to snap up a 4 yr/$100m type contract somewhere.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Yeah, I think Bojan will get an overpay. Mirotic is a better target at $15 million a year for 4 years.
    Not sure I would pay that for Niko even though I really like him. I would maybe go 3/$35-$40. I wouldn't want to commit that much for 4 years.

There are so many teams with cap space, and not enough quality free agents likely to change teams. This feels similar to the year Solomon Hill got his big contract.

Basketball Guru
    payton ,,,,niko,,,mike scott...throw a 2nd round to memphis for crowder....

rookies get in, where they fit at...

ball/payton
    jrue/jackson/hart
    ingram/crowder
    zion/scott
    niko/okafor

There are so many teams with cap space, and not enough quality free agents likely to change teams. This feels similar to the year Solomon Hill got his big contract.
    I agree. We have to be smart and not overpay a mediocre player. Mirotic at least as a few good years in him, and his game his not highly dependent on his athleticism. That is why I would target him at 12-15 million a year. I agree that a 3 year contract would likely be better than 4, but that will depend on his market. There will definitely be players being overpaid this year.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 06-21-2019 at 03:35 PM.

I agree. We have to be smart and not overpay a mediocre player. Mirotic at least as a few good years in him, and his game his not highly dependent on his athleticism. That is why I would target him at 12-15 million a year.
    Agreed, and if we pay a little too much for a guy (possible if we really think he's the right guy) it can't be for a long time. No 4 year deals here: one and two years only.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    I didn't lose anything.

I will reiterate Griff will have input on all basketball decisions, scouting included and Again what proof do you have Langdon is a good scout. There really isn't any that I've seen.

But sure laugh at me for having a healthy amount of skepticism when it comes to the front office and not putting my blind trust in them. Yall did when I said the same about Demps and now the same posters are acting like they were on my side all along. I actually like Griffin and Langdon but it's important to note neither has an established great track record.
    Well, David Griffin didn’t draft Anthony Bennett, Chris Grant did. Can we laugh now? That’s actually what lead to Griffin getting the permanent GM role and subsequently building a championship around Lebron James.

Edit: I see you now say “championed” Anthony Bennett. Guessing you realized that wasn’t him.
    Last edited by Spaniard; 06-21-2019 at 04:10 PM.

I agree. We have to be smart and not overpay a mediocre player. Mirotic at least as a few good years in him, and his game his not highly dependent on his athleticism. That is why I would target him at 12-15 million a year. I agree that a 3 year contract would likely be better than 4, but that will depend on his market. There will definitely be players being overpaid this year.
    Looking at the Western Conference standings for last year, unless we're signing a guy that can legit move the needle to get us into 8th seed contention, I'd be much happier being smart with our money and not locking in guys for more than 2 years. I have zero expectation that we make the playoffs next year, so paying a premium for a dude over 4 years that isn't the perfect fit doesn't make sense. I'd rather sign a lesser player to a lesser contract, get some growth internally, and then go back out into the market next year.

At a certain point we may need to get aggressive in free agency. That point isn't now.

Looking at the Western Conference standings for last year, unless we're signing a guy that can legit move the needle to get us into 8th seed contention, I'd be much happier being smart with our money and not locking in guys for more than 2 years. I have zero expectation that we make the playoffs next year, so paying a premium for a dude over 4 years that isn't the perfect fit doesn't make sense. I'd rather sign a lesser player to a lesser contract, get some growth internally, and then go back out into the market next year.

At a certain point we may need to get aggressive in free agency. That point isn't now.
    I’m a bit of he same belief, which confuses me as to why we were so hellbent on getting rid of an expiring Solomon Hill. Maybe we ran out of spots in the depth chart? / shrugs

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I’m a bit of he same belief, which confuses me as to why we were so hellbent on getting rid of an expiring Solomon Hill. Maybe we ran out of spots in the depth chart? / shrugs
    I personally didn't care about Solo.

But it's possible that Griff is planning on building up even more assets by way of essentially renting out our cap space to other teams in return for picks. ''We'll take on your bad contract with 2 years left on it, in return for your 2020 first'' type deals. In that case, the Solo space might be worth something.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I personally didn't care about Solo.

But it's possible that Griff is planning on building up even more assets by way of essentially renting out our cap space to other teams in return for picks. ''We'll take on your bad contract with 2 years left on it, in return for your 2020 first'' type deals. In that case, the Solo space might be worth something.
    I thought about that as well. ATM it makes no sense, but we just have to wait and see. Hopefully it is used wisely and isn’t for naught. Otherwise it was a bit of a pointless move. I’m being a tad hasty though

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I thought about that as well. ATM it makes no sense, but we just have to wait and see. Hopefully it is used wisely and isn’t for naught. Otherwise it was a bit of a pointless move. I’m being a tad hasty though
    we can take on a guy like batum who can actually help while also getting more assets for taking him off their hands. honestly think he's setting us for either Feb or next year to trade for a big time player

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bahmamamba; 06-21-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Thread Information