Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Possible Free Agent Targets

So Gentry just stated that he will be disappointed if we don’t lead the league in pace this year. Not surprising but is making me think we won’t deviate from signing or trading for players that can’t handle the pace just because they are available. Who are some Centers that will fit that mold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    So Gentry just stated that he will be disappointed if we don’t lead the league in pace this year. Not surprising but is making me think we won’t deviate from signing or trading for players that can’t handle the pace just because they are available. Who are some Centers that will fit that mold?
    Horford, Dedmon, Adams, they can all run.

Adams is the only one there where people are often surprised, they don't think of him as a runner, but OKC played with the league's 6th fastest pace last year and he was fine.
    Basketball.

So we are one of the teams looking at Tobias Harris. I don’t get that fit at all. He’s a good combo forward, but don’t see how he fits in a starting lineup with Zion & Ingram. I didn’t even list him in my top 10/11 free agent targets due to that fact.

We should sign a starting center or a stretch 4 that can either come off the bench or start some games depending on the matchup. Unless they are going with a Golden State kind of unconventional starting lineup
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-26-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    So we are one of the teams looking at Tobias Harris. I don’t get that fit at all. He’s a good combo forward, but don’t see how he fits in a starting lineup with Zion & Ingram. I didn’t even list him in my top 10/11 free agent targets due to that fact.
    I'm not a huge fan of his fit with our team either, but I'm pretty sure he's going to be getting a max this summer so unless Griff just loves him, I don't see him coming to New Orleans.

My top 5/7 options:

1. Al Horford - perfect fit IMO, but one of the most expensive options
    2. Niko Mirotic - stretch 4 that can start as a stretch 5 some games like he did here
    3. Brook Lopez - stretch 5 that likely wouldn’t break the bank and could likely get on a 2 year deal
    4. Dewayne Dedmon - probably the cheapest option for a legit starting center that can also space the floor
    5. Nikola Vucevic / DeMarcus Cousins / Marc Gasol - I would just see what they want, if they want to come here, & see how the meeting goes

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post

We should sign a starting center or a stretch 4 that can either come off the bench or start some games depending on the matchup. Unless they are going with a Golden State kind of unconventional starting lineup
    Tobias Harris is basically a stretch 4

If it’s me I throw a massive 2 year deal at brook Lopez and bogdonovic

I guess another obstacle is finding people who can space the floor AND want to play a fast pace. I am sure that is not exactly how some players, particularly bigs, want to play. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Oh well.

Not a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    If it’s me I throw a massive 2 year deal at brook Lopez and bogdonovic
    Make it three year deal with the club holding the option on the third year for both and I'm in.

You will be missed Cheick. It was fun.

Makes sense. We've got too much young talent now to guarantee him a roster spot. Maybe we can revisit after free agency is done but we've got a ton of big depth we need to develop already.

I love Cheick's motor and think there is still plenty of upside to his game. But, the numbers' game simply won't allow it to happen here.

LA-LA Land? I hope not; Cheick would give me a reason to pull for them and I'd hate that.

Diallo has a lot of physical talent, but the light bulb has never turned on. He seems to have a very poor basketball IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Diallo has a lot of physical talent, but the light bulb has never turned on. He seems to have a very poor basketball IQ.
    He always had my sympathy but I never believed he would become a good player

I didnt see anything in his game to suggest he had a poor basketball IQ. What I saw was a very slowly developing skill level like lack of a handle, cant shoot 3s, not a great passer, can run but not a great vertical leaper. All things he can still get better at except the leaping.

All things Christian Wood does better, thus making Chiek expendable.

So does this add more space to the cap or already was considered?
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-26-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    He always had my sympathy but I never believed he would become a good player
    that made me laugh. good job.

Another one bites the dust....you will be missed Johnson. Good Luck out there buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I didnt see anything in his game to suggest he had a poor basketball IQ. What I saw was a very slowly developing skill level like lack of a handle, cant shoot 3s, not a great passer, can run but not a great vertical leaper. All things he can still get better at except the leaping.

All things Christian Wood does better, thus making Chiek expendable.

So does this add more space to the cap or already was considered?
    Did you ever watch him in person and watch Gentry's reactions to his bonehead plays? He was consistently lost and making dumb plays. There was a stretch that made me think he may be coming around, but it did not last long.

Did you ever watch him in person and watch Gentry's reactions to his bonehead plays? He was consistently lost and making dumb plays. There was a stretch that made me think he may be coming around, but it did not last long.
    Also, I would add that ''not a great passer'' is a sign of poor basketball IQ.

Playmaking is obviously different and there are plenty of very capable passers who will never average more than 3 assists per game because that's just not their role, but a smart basketball player should be able to make the obvious, easy passes without any real issue. Being unable to do so is a sign that you're not reading the defense very well, and aren't locked into the offensive flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Also, I would add that ''not a great passer'' is a sign of poor basketball IQ.

Playmaking is obviously different and there are plenty of very capable passers who will never average more than 3 assists per game because that's just not their role, but a smart basketball player should be able to make the obvious, easy passes without any real issue. Being unable to do so is a sign that you're not reading the defense very well, and aren't locked into the offensive flow.
    When someone talks about a player being a good passer, we are NOT talking about easy basic passes. Especially on the NBA level. Because Diallo could do that.

That out of the way, being a poor passer is not a sign of poor basketball IQ. You need certain mechanics to make difficult passes with good timing. Plus you have to be groomed as a passer from when you first begin playing basketball in earnest. It's something you also have to enjoy doing. Diallo was never groomed for that and he hasn't even been playing basketball that long.

I also didnt see a player consistently lost. Gentry reacts to a lot of things. Thats how he is. Diallo had many good games here on both ends of the floor. Knew how to get position and block out for rebounds. Knew how to space the lanes on fast breaks and run.

His problem is his skill level just hasn't advanced fast enough and got outplayed by a more skilled and longer big in Christian Wood. Thats it. Simple. Even in these Woods highlights you see Diallo make smart plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqtQ...el=FreeDawkins

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    When someone talks about a player being a good passer, we are NOT talking about easy basic passes. Especially on the NBA level. Because Diallo could do that.

That out of the way, being a poor passer is not a sign of poor basketball IQ. You need certain mechanics to make difficult passes with good timing. Plus you have to be groomed as a passer from when you first begin playing basketball in earnest. It's something you also have to enjoy doing. Diallo was never groomed for that and he hasn't even been playing basketball that long.

I also didnt see a player consistently lost. Gentry reacts to a lot of things. Thats how he is. Diallo had many good games here on both ends of the floor. Knew how to get position and block out for rebounds. Knew how to space the lanes on fast breaks and run.

His problem is his skill level just hasn't advanced fast enough and got outplayed by a more skilled and longer big in Christian Wood. Thats it. Simple. Even in these Woods highlights you see Diallo make smart plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqtQ...el=FreeDawkins
    If that's what you mean by ''good passing'' (that is, just basic, plain, one pass to next man, unpressured, etc) then cool, but when I hear good passing I'm thinking of people with feel, who can pass well. Not just average, because an average passer is exactly that: average. When I hear good, I expect beyond average.

I'm also not talking about being Lebron or Kidd or Nash or something. I'm not talking about ''difficult passes with good timing''. I'm talking about adequate passes in in-game scenarios. I'm not expecting Diallo to nail a full court bounce pass between defenders. I'm talking about just passing consistently out of the high post when contested, with someone playing the passing lane. He sometimes managed it, sometimes didn't. A good passer - read, an above average but not genius passer - can make that kind of move regularly.

Diallo has been playing basketball since 2010. That's 9 years. He's 22, so he started when he was 13. That's long enough that I don't really think we can coddle him with the ''he hasn't been playing very long'' kind of excuse. He's been an NBA player for three years, and has practiced this sport for a decade.

If you didn't see him consistently lost, cool. I did. I'm guessing PELICANSFAN did too, since he's the one who said it in the first place. Some games he was switched on and looked really good, and other games he would just look like he didn't even know what was being run. Maybe that's a symptom of irregular minutes and not really knowing the playbook inside and out, or maybe he just didn't react well to our more free-flowing offense and needs a more rigid coach to blossom. That's fine: in either case, he's not aware enough for our team.

You're right, he got out-skilled and out-played by Christian Wood. Who is, himself, not a starting caliber player. So if you are out-skilled and out-coached by a guy who has played fewer than half as many NBA games as you, and who has bounced around to four teams in four years, what does that tell you? It tells you that you're not there yet.

I like Cheick, he was fun to watch, energetic, and seemed to genuinely enjoy playing basketball. Some team out there will give him the money and I hope he has a ton of fun and puts it all together. Hey, maybe after free agency money dries up we end up re-signing him anyway, that'd be cool. But it's not like we lost a superstar here, or even a consistent rotation player.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If that's what you mean by ''good passing'' (that is, just basic, plain, one pass to next man, unpressured, etc) then cool, but when I hear good passing I'm thinking of people with feel, who can pass well. Not just average, because an average passer is exactly that: average. When I hear good, I expect beyond average.
    No, that's not what I typed. I literally typed this---"When someone talks about a player being a good passer, we are NOT talking about easy basic passes."

I even capitalized NOT. And starting basketball at 13 is extremely late. I started at 9 and even I had to catch up to some others around me. Even 9 was late.

And I'm not talking against the team letting him go. I just said he got outplayed by Wood. And Wood is a damn good player, so I'm also not saying Diallo is a bad player. He'll be on another roster before the season.

All I said was Diallo did not play like a plyer with a low bball IQ. Thats it.

Thread Information