Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Free Agent Targets

Possible Free Agent Targets

I wanted to make a thread to discuss potential free agent targets.

We are projected to have $32,495,141 in cap space. I don’t think we are at the point to pursue a max free agent. We need a veteran PG, stretch 4, and a starting center.

Here are my targets.

stretch 4: Nikola Mirotic, Bojan Bogdanovic, JaMychal Green, or Marcus Morris

PG: Elfrid Payton, Tomas Satoransky, or Cory Joseph

Center: Dewayne Dedman, Brook Lopez, or Robin Lopez

Lineup

PG: Ball/Payton/Jackson
    SG: Holiday/Moore/Alexander-Walker
    SF: Ingram/Hart/Williams
    PF: Williamson/Mirotic/Wood
    C: Dedman/Okafor/Hayes

Finishing 5

Ball
    Holiday
    Ingram
    Mirotic
    Williamson

That’s a solid team.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 06-22-2019 at 12:23 AM.

Bucks are gonna pay to keep Lopez.

Names I'd be looking at are Bojan Bogdanovic and Dewayne Dedmon. Both can shoot, one is a SF and another is a C. I wouldn't pay massive money for either, so I doubt we would get them, but I'd be happy to do it just for the sake of adding some quality floor spacing.

Also not against looking to see if Al Horford would take a kind of poison pill, 1 year $20m style big cash deal. He wouldn't take it because I've heard he has some kind of 3yr/$100m deal floating out there, but I'd offer it.
    Basketball.

Hayes will probably have a stash type year. Either inactive or G-league. Doubt Mitoric would come to a situation like this and probably wants to be a starter somewhere.

Would like if Elfrid would come back, but he may also want a chance to start somewhere.

Etwaun probably getting traded.

**and the Pelicans will have it's own g-League team this year in Erie, PA before they move permanently to Birmingham in 2022.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-21-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Whoever we sign they better be able to shoot becauae I’m legit worried about our floor spacing from our starting 5 as is

Dedman is a good option. I like Bojan Bogdanovic but someone will pay him as a starter.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 06-21-2019 at 12:01 AM.

We just signed undrafted FA Zylan Cheatham.

I think we should go fairly hard after B Lopez.

We can afford to slightly overpay him on a 2-3 year deal. We will have him in his prime and will be gone in time for Hayes or another option to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    We just signed undrafted FA Zylan Cheatham.
    Can't have enough players whose name starts with a 'Z'
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

'' If you watch any NBA games, you see that on every team, there are pretty much two or guys that are going to log a majority of the shots. They’re going to do a majority of the scoring and at this point, it’s not about trying to get on an NBA team and take over and I don’t need 15 to 20 shots because that’s just not realistic, especially if I’m a rookie coming out of college. Personally, I’ve understood that and I’ve embraced my role as an elite defender and an elite rebounder and I know those two things translate at any level. I feel like the way I rebound and defend, I can help any NBA team. I know that rebounding is an important aspect, considering it gets you extra possessions. Limiting teams to one shot is very important. Those things are what win. Defensively, my ability to switch and guard multiple spots and my size and just overall my defensive presence on the floor, I feel like, is a skill within itself and that’s what will separate me from a lot of guys.''

Killer stuff, love to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Bucks are gonna pay to keep Lopez.

Names I'd be looking at are Bojan Bogdanovic and Dewayne Dedmon. Both can shoot, one is a SF and another is a C. I wouldn't pay massive money for either, so I doubt we would get them, but I'd be happy to do it just for the sake of adding some quality floor spacing.

Also not against looking to see if Al Horford would take a kind of poison pill, 1 year $20m style big cash deal. He wouldn't take it because I've heard he has some kind of 3yr/$100m deal floating out there, but I'd offer it.
    How are the Bucks going to pay Lopez when they have to pay Middleton and Brogdon
    Last edited by bustah; 06-21-2019 at 12:13 AM.

Payton has gotta go. I like the guy but he's not really good at much and the pelicans already have so many guards, and nonshooters.

Ball/ Jackson
    Jrue/ Moore/ Hart /NAW
    Ingram/ Williams
    Zion/ Wood
    Okafor/ Hayes

Think you need a stretch big and another vet perimeter guy who can shoot and maybe playmake.

High level targets
    Russell
    Brogdon
    Vucevic

Unlikely but worth a call
    Horford
    Millsap
    Brook Lopez (think he wants Milwaukee and vice versa)
    Danny Green
    Beverly
    Bojan
    Tobias Harris

Medium targets
    Satoransky
    Dedmon
    JaMychal Green
    Reddick
    Ross
    hood
    Tyus Jones
    George Hill
    Collison
    Valanciunas
    Mirotic
    Cauley Stein
    DAJ
    Burks
    Portis
    Bryant

Buy low
    Vonleh
    Temple
    Bullock
    mcgruder
    Mathews
    Ellington
    mike Scott
    Carroll
    dudley
    EdDavis
    Kamisky
    lyles
    House
    Hezonja
    Troy Daniels
    Jeff Green
    Vince Carter

Those are rough lists for me with players I like for New Orleans generally closer to the top of each
    Last edited by Pelifan; 06-21-2019 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bustah View Post
    How are the Bucks going to pay Lopez when they have to pay Middleton and Brogden
    They have the cap to resign Brook straight up, and then can resign Middleton and Brogdon by going over the cap with their bird rights. It will take them into the luxury tax, but they can do it.

Javon Bess - Undrafted FA signing
    Aubrey Dawkins - Exhibit 10

I wish I could find the quote from last night's post draft presser but DG said that they were going to find high character veterans to pair with the young guys.

Who are the high character free agents?

Also, with all of our assets could we go after a restricted free agent?

Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post
    I wish I could find the quote from last night's post draft presser but DG said that they were going to find high character veterans to pair with the young guys.

Who are the high character free agents?

Also, with all of our assets could we go after a restricted free agent?
    I really have to think Jared Dudley makes a ton of sense.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Can I just say - after watching Griff's press conference - I'm starting to think he was the biggest acquisition we've picked up, possibly even above Zion. He is super impressive.

I trust him completely to build this team, and that's totally cool (and refreshing).

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Payton has gotta go. I like the guy but he's not really good at much and the pelicans already have so many guards, and nonshooters.

Ball/ Jackson
    Jrue/ Moore/ Hart /NAW
    Ingram/ Williams
    Zion/ Wood
    Okafor/ Hayes

Think you need a stretch big and another vet perimeter guy who can shoot and maybe playmake.

High level targets
    Russell
    Brogdon
    Vucevic

Unlikely but worth a call
    Horford
    Millsap
    Brook Lopez (think he wants Milwaukee and vice versa)
    Danny Green
    Beverly
    Bojan
    Tobias Harris

Medium targets
    Satoransky
    Dedmon
    JaMychal Green
    Reddick
    Ross
    hood
    Tyus Jones
    George Hill
    Collison
    Valanciunas
    Mirotic
    Cauley Stein
    DAJ
    Burks
    Portis
    Bryant

Buy low
    Vonleh
    Temple
    Bullock
    mcgruder
    Mathews
    Ellington
    mike Scott
    Carroll
    dudley
    EdDavis
    Kamisky
    lyles
    House
    Hezonja
    Troy Daniels
    Jeff Green
    Vince Carter

Those are rough lists for me with players I like for New Orleans generally closer to the top of each
    We should stick to medium and buy low targets. Keep cap flexibility. We have assets to make moves later near the deadline if need be.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it."
    - el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    Can I just say - after watching Griff's press conference - I'm starting to think he was the biggest acquisition we've picked up, possibly even above Zion. He is super impressive.

I trust him completely to build this team, and that's totally cool (and refreshing).
    David Griffin championed Anthony Bennett.

So far I trust his understanding of value and negotiating. He's done a good job there. His ability to scout for talent I do not trust.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Bogdonovich should be a target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the Jazz can get out from under Favors’ contract I can see them going after Horford and being the team to beat in NBA. I think Utah knows that, and they will be doing everything possible to make that happen.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Pelicans

Tel me again why Randall opted out again, and why he's not a good fit as backup Co-F/C ? Does he want too much $ ?
    Also, I think that whatever low to medium level players we sign, (like VC, for instance) need to buy into mentoring Z and the young guns !
    Last edited by Shrimpnose; 06-21-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpnose View Post
    Tel me again why Randall opted out again, and why he's not a good fit as backup Co-F/C ? Does he want too much $ ?
    Also, I think that whatever low to medium level players we sign, (like VC, for instance) need to buy into mentoring Z and the young guns !
    Randle out played his 9-9.5mil option. He should get way more than that.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Dedmon and JaMychal Green are the guys, IMO. Possibly both. Preferably Dedmon even though he's a year older.

I think if Ingram is healthy and on our opening day roster, we're going to give him every chance to soak up a ton of minutes at the 3 and develop into the player he flashed last season over a longer period. Between October and February 1st, we need to learn what we've got in him going forward.

Because of that, I don't think we'll be enticing to any of the SFs that have alternative options that will pay as much or more, and are in contending situations. But I do think Jared Dudley is as close to a lock as you can get, just as a culture setting presence.

I think ultimately we're going to take on a contract for a guy that another team doesn't want, or we've put ourselves in a position to take back a star that we DO want without needing to force the team that's trading away the start to take back any bad contracts. Our flexibility really is the amazing thing.

I wonder if Portland would give us anything for taking on Evan Turner and Meyers Leonard? Meyers gives you the stretch big you want. Turner can't shoot, but can give you a good ball handler and passer off the bench if surrounded by other shooters. Hart and Moore off the bench with Turner wouldn't be terrible. If you can't sign your top targets, could you get a 1st from Blazers for taking on all that salary?

Forgot Justin holiday. He could be a nice pick up

Thread Information