Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Possible Free Agent Targets

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    My plan doesn’t add “years and years” of salary as both Satoransky and Green would be on easily movable $7 million dollar expiring contracts in 2021. We sucked without shooting last year. Our plan should always be to address our weaknesses to win now while maintaining flexibility until we have a championship caliber team. My plan does just that. I would never endorse taking on crap contracts at this time. Why the hell did we just move Solomon Hill if we wanted to do that. Did we all of sudden become the Phoenix Suns?
    Before AD pulled his awful trade request, we were still in the running for the playoffs despite having multiple serious, long term injuries and had a top ten offense in the NBA. Basically, no we didn't, at least not offensively which is the area of the game that shooting factors into.

You tell me how easy it is to get off a $7m expiring contract while I sit and watch Milwaukee desperately attempt to get rid of Ilyasova on the final year of his $7m contract. The fact is, it's only easy to get off that contract if you either attach assets like picks to do so, or the player is good. Satoransky and Green are not that good. On real, competing NBA team, they are your 4th guard and your 3rd big. They're not going to be snapped up, especially when other teams will be trying to make runs at the 2021 free agency class too.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Before AD pulled his awful trade request, we were still in the running for the playoffs despite having multiple serious, long term injuries and had a top ten offense in the NBA. Basically, no we didn't, at least not offensively which is the area of the game that shooting factors into.

You tell me how easy it is to get off a $7m expiring contract while I sit and watch Milwaukee desperately attempt to get rid of Ilyasova on the final year of his $7m contract. The fact is, it's only easy to get off that contract if you either attach assets like picks to do so, or the player is good. Satoransky and Green are not that good. On real, competing NBA team, they are your 4th guard and your 3rd big. They're not going to be snapped up, especially when other teams will be trying to make runs at the 2021 free agency class too.
    Satoransky and Green are currently being signed to be our 4th guard and 3rd big respectively in the proposed plan. We could attach a second round pick to each player to move them. Maybe a low first for both. There will be terrible teams in 2021 like the Hawks and Suns of this year who will be looking to acquire cheap assets .Look at the contracts of Hill and Baynes who were just moved in the draft. We probably could sign either of these players to 2 year contracts this year at that $7million rate, but I wouldn’t not add that third year if that what was needed to secure their services. Ideally we would sign everyone to one year contracts, but there will likely be too much competition in the market to do so. Especially since we are not a contending team.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 06-24-2019 at 01:40 AM.

Satoransky and Green are currently being signed to be our 4th guard and 3rd big respectively. We could easily attach a second round pick to each player to move them. Maybe a low first for both. There will be terrible teams in 2021 like the Hawks and Suns of this year who will be looking to acquire cheap assets .Look at the contracts of Hill and Baynes who were just moved in the draft. We probably could sign either of these players to 2 year contracts this year at that $7million rate, but I wouldn’t not add that third year if that was needed to secure their services.
    You see, this is my entire point. Now we're considering trading away first round picks to get off these totally pointless, unnecessary contracts. Even if you were desperate for Satoransky and Green, do you really think that signing them for the same money for 2 years is somehow like, some big sacrifice?

Hill was moved for a top 5 pick. Not the best example you could have used.

You see, this is my entire point. Now we're considering trading away first round picks to get off these totally pointless, unnecessary contracts. Even if you were desperate for Satoransky and Green, do you really think that signing them for the same money for 2 years is somehow like, some big sacrifice?

Hill was moved for a top 5 pick. Not the best example you could have used.
    So you suggest staying out of the free agent market until we are a contending team? We are not a championship caliber team who can sign decent players on 1-year deals to chase a ring. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings to trade a top 55 protected 2nd rounder for Ilyasova instead of signing Green if that were truly an option. We do need a backup PG, so if a player like Cory Joseph would take a 2-year deal, I would be fine with that as well. I suggest these players on deals that I think will be required to sign them. If we could get better deals on comparable players, that would be fine. I do think we should address the positions of starting center, backup stretch 4, and backup PG with veteran players in free agency.

So you suggest staying out of the free agent market until we are a contending team? We are not a championship caliber team who can sign decent players on 1-year deals to chase a ring. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings to trade a top 55 protected 2nd rounder for Ilyasova instead of signing Green if that were truly an option. We do need a backup PG, so if a player like Cory Joseph would take a 2-year deal, I would be fine with that as well. I suggest these players on deals that I think will be required to sign them. If we could get better deals on comparable players, that would be fine. I do think we should address the positions of starting center, backup stretch 4, and backup PG with veteran players in free agency.
    No, I've already told you twice what I'm suggesting. I'm not saying ''stay out of the free agent market until we are contending'', I'm saying ''don't give unnecessarily long contracts to players that aren't worth keeping around long term when they will interfere with better free agency classes later on''.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The most likely way we acquire future stars is through trade or draft.

Whether or not the contract is moveable in the future is the only thing I'd be worried about.

Take Bradley Beal for example. If we decide we're still in the market, and Washington becomes sellers after signing him to his max extension, we're going to need contracts to match up to that salary. If all we have is our young assets that we'd otherwise like to keep, then we can't make that deal. However if we have a large expiring contract, we more easily and equitably make that trade.

No, I've already told you twice what I'm suggesting. I'm not saying ''stay out of the free agent market until we are contending'', I'm saying ''don't give unnecessarily long contracts to players that aren't worth keeping around long term when they will interfere with better free agency classes later on''.
    This! I don’t understand how people can’t grasp this concept

We need to meet our 2 biggest flaws right now. Shooting and Big men this free agency. I'm not a fan of going for a huge name or spending the majority of our cap room for one person. With that said, we should be going for Bogdonovic/Middleton/Gay (in the $15 to $17m range) and Mirotic/Dedmon/Bobby Portis/Lopez. Start with those two needs first. Then make whatever trades and adjistments we're gonna make next.

Did anybody see the trade on thebirdwrites with Phoenix, I would love that deal if PHX would do it. Take on the the last year of Johnson’s contract to get Bridges, and give up Bertans and maybe a 2nd rounder or two. PHX may do it, they are at 24 million in cap space, and that might not be enough to get Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by bogiesfedora View Post
    Did anybody see the trade on thebirdwrites with Phoenix, I would love that deal if PHX would do it. Take on the the last year of Johnson’s contract to get Bridges, and give up Bertans and maybe a 2nd rounder or two. PHX may do it, they are at 24 million in cap space, and that might not be enough to get Russell.
    Phoenix is not giving up Bridges in a salary dump for Johnson. That was a wishful suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    We need to meet our 2 biggest flaws right now. Shooting and Big men this free agency. I'm not a fan of going for a huge name or spending the majority of our cap room for one person. With that said, we should be going for Bogdonovic/Middleton/Gay (in the $15 to $17m range) and Mirotic/Dedmon/Bobby Portis/Lopez. Start with those two needs first. Then make whatever trades and adjistments we're gonna make next.
    And Favors could come even cheaper...but with no much offense.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-agency#slide4

Trading the No. 23 pick as part of a trade package for Mike Conley wasn't a mistake, although it meant the Utah Jazz weren't on the clock until the No. 50 pick. They also sent out a future protected first-round pick in the trade, according to Chris Herrington of the Daily Memphian.

Conley will slot in as the Jazz's new starting point guard, but they still have a hole at power forward.

That puts more pressure on the front office to make a splash in free agency.

Free-Agency Solution

The Jazz start Derrick Favors at power forward, but he's more of a natural 5. The talented big man has spent the majority of his court time at center over the past four seasons, too.

Favors would be best suited as the starting center on a team, given his rim protection (1.4 blocks per game) and lack of outside shooting (0.2 three-pointers per game on a 21.8 percent clip). Since the Jazz also have 2017-18 Defensive Player of the Year Rudy Gobert, Favors won't get that opportunity in Utah.

Instead, the Jazz can open up $16.9 million in cap space by waiving Favors by July 6 and letting him hit free agency. If they can get Julius Randle, it'd justify sacrificing Favors.

Randle, 24, would give the Jazz the floor-spacing Conley and Donovan Mitchell need while providing a large share of the offense and rebounding.

A good athlete, Randle shot a career-high 34.4 percent from deep last season while averaging 21.4 points, 8.7 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 0.7 steals per game with the New Orleans Pelicans.

After earning $8.6 million with the Pelicans last season, Randle may be happy with an annual deal worth $15-$17 million.
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

I’d really like to sign both a small forward and a center that can both shoot for 3, but if I can only have one give me bogdonavic who can run the 3, and play the 4 in small ball lineups, giant 2 year deal, id actually like to over pay him so he comes, we aren’t competing in the next 2 years but he would make life much easier on Zion

If we could land bogdonovic and brook Lopez for 2 years id be ecstatic, allow our young players to grow, we’ll have good draft picks and in 2 years we sign a big name and we’re contenders

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    If we could land bogdonovic and brook Lopez for 2 years id be ecstatic, allow our young players to grow, we’ll have good draft picks and in 2 years we sign a big name and we’re contenders
    this.

Maxi Kleber: Currently being paid $ 1.1MM. Quadruple his salary ($4.4MM) over three years (3rd year Club Option). He's a rim protector that has an outside shot. Exactly what would open driving lanes for ZW. Watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7SZgoE_w6c

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Maxi Kleber: Currently being paid $ 1.1MM. Quadruple his salary ($4.4MM) over three years (3rd year Club Option). He's a rim protector that has an outside shot. Exactly what would open driving lanes for ZW. Watch the video.
    ]
    Mavs fans are super high on him though, they'll probably resign him.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Phoenix is not giving up Bridges in a salary dump for Johnson. That was a wishful suggestion.
    Your probably right but it is PHX. There doesn’t seem to be any clear direction there, there draft night was atrocious even beyond Cameron Johnson. Lets hope they are desperate to create max cap space and then some. I still think the best direction is to use the extra cap space to facilitate a salary dump from another team looking to not pay the luxury tax or create max cap space, and pick up another asset or two.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7SZgoE_w6c
    That may not be enough to get him. He is restricted. I think you would have to start at something in excess of MLE.

If we don't make a trade for someone like Adams, I'm fine with filling our cap space with veterans like Dedmond, Gay, and Collison on short term deals.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

There is SOOOO much money in free agency this year.

$475m!!!

I really wonder how folks expect us to be in position to sign these contracts that are really favorable to the team. If we don't want to offer 3rd or 4th years, there is someone out there that likely will.

I'm really curious to see what teams with cap space do once the top guys are off the board. The smart thing might be to pivot to guys that other teams might want to dump, but how many teams are going to make that pivot, and what will that marketplace look like? Expecting to get an asset attached to a guy like Adams might be unrealistic if he could be an option for multiple teams.

This is why I lean (slightly) towards the possible overpay for a guy that is good - Horford or Vic - vs an overpay for a guy like Kleber that could be this offseason's Solomon Hill. Or a trade for Love, who could be in street clothes for 25 games a year.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    There is SOOOO much money in free agency this year.

$475m!!!

I really wonder how folks expect us to be in position to sign these contracts that are really favorable to the team. If we don't want to offer 3rd or 4th years, there is someone out there that likely will.

I'm really curious to see what teams with cap space do once the top guys are off the board. The smart thing might be to pivot to guys that other teams might want to dump, but how many teams are going to make that pivot, and what will that marketplace look like? Expecting to get an asset attached to a guy like Adams might be unrealistic if he could be an option for multiple teams.

This is why I lean (slightly) towards the possible overpay for a guy that is good - Horford or Vic - vs an overpay for a guy like Kleber that could be this offseason's Solomon Hill. Or a trade for Love, who could be in street clothes for 25 games a year.
    We do not need to get into overpay positiions. That will lead to Asik/Hill types of issues in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    We do not need to get into overpay positiions. That will lead to Asik/Hill types of issues in a few years.
    I agree. But I think that's why I'm arguing I'd much rather pay max or near max for a top tier free agent, that I'm not projecting production for. Once you get below the top tier, I think you risk an overpay. Barring injury, top tier max guys usually retain their value. It's the Hill, Crabbe, Bazemore, Fournier, Turner type guys that people feel like they got at a discount because they were cheaper than the max guys, that end up burning teams.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I agree. But I think that's why I'm arguing I'd much rather pay max or near max for a top tier free agent, that I'm not projecting production for. Once you get below the top tier, I think you risk an overpay. Barring injury, top tier max guys usually retain their value. It's the Hill, Crabbe, Bazemore, Fournier, Turner type guys that people feel like they got at a discount because they were cheaper than the max guys, that end up burning teams.
    Maybe that is where we disagree on Horford. I do not see him as top tier, especially at his age. A 4 year, near max deal for him could look really ugly in 3 years.

Great to hear that Jrue is really embracing this franchise player role.

Now, I'm not saying it means anything (not anything at all) but I will casually note that Jrue Holiday shares an agent with Al Horford.

Seems that the culture that Griffen is trying to create will be dictating the free agent offers this offseason - looking for defensive minded vets with winning pedigree (and at least some offensive competency). Here are the FA's that seem to fit that description.

Tier 1 Free agents (unrealistic for Pels) - Kawhi, Durant, Klay Thompson,

Tier 2 Free agents (probably also unrealistic or too costly) - Horford, Marc Gasol, Millsap, Vucevic

Tier 3 & 4 free agents (this is where the Pels should be looking IMHO) - Brook Lopez, Danny Green, Marcus Morris, Rozier, DeMarre Carroll, Ed Davis, Thaddeus Young, Looney, Dedmon, Beverly, Aminu, Sefolosha

Trade candidates that would also fit the bill: Steven Adams, Clint Capela, George Hill, Ersan Ilyasova, Kelly Olynyk

Thread Information