Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans will regret not drafting...

Pelicans will regret not drafting...

Darius Garland.

Griffin is a terrible scout of talent. When you guys realize this statement this season, feel free to bump this thread.

My God is Griffin terrible at viewing talent.

Lol
    Basketball.

It is obvious from this year's draft what Griff's vision for this team is. He wants long, athletic players capable of switching and guarding multiple positions. He doesn't want Zion spending much time at the 5 position early in his career. He knew Jaxson would be available at 8 so he moved us out of the 4 spot to get more assets. Now we have Jaxson guarding the rim while Zion and the others are free to gamble on getting steals and getting out in transition.

Garland does not fit Griff's vision at all. His handles and shot might be great, but he is small and a defensive liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    It is obvious from this year's draft what Griff's vision for this team is. He wants long, athletic players capable of switching and guarding multiple positions. He doesn't want Zion spending much time at the 5 position early in his career. He knew Jaxson would be available at 8 so he moved us out of the 4 spot to get more assets. Now we have Jaxson guarding the rim while Zion and the others are free to gamble on getting steals and getting out in transition.

Garland does not fit Griff's vision at all. His handles and shot might be great, but he is small and a defensive liability.
    His handles aren't even that great. They're not bad at all, I'm not saying that, but he's no Kyrie Irving or Allen Iverson on the handle.

He also has, admittedly from the small sample size, just terrible vision and passing. Not that he can't pass, but that he's just not interested in it. He wants to bomb threes. He does that well, and his release his quick, but he doesn't seem to care about team ball whatsoever. That's obviously so far off Griffs MO that it's insane to think he ''missed'' Garland: it's far more likely he, and Langdon, just PASSED on Garland.

First every other year.....

All depends on what he does with the cap space man. Leaving my judgement till then

lol, Darius is that you?

He only played 5 games. If CAM Reddish only played 5 games. He would be coveted just like him. David was completely justified to bet against him.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    lol, Darius is that you?
    I am just wondering whether he is a Lakers fan who is mad that he has Pelinka as a GM or a ticked off Hawks fan who is angry his team gave up so much for Hunter when he wanted Hayes and Doumbouya. In any case, he's just ticked off and likely to never post again. Now that I think about it, he is probably a Knicks fan who is still thinking that the Knicks were entitled to the #1 pick and Zion. Oh, the sadness.

While I didn't see any that great with Garland I rather people make these type of statements now not after a player becomes great. I respect the OP opinion and take.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I think Darius is going to be good, especially on offense. But I think he's going to struggle next year in Cleveland. That's not the ideal fit for him playing next to Sexton. If the comp the Cavs are going with is Dame/CJ, it took CJ a couple of seasons before he was comfortable playing with Dame, and even now they struggle defensively.

I think asset accumulation, dumping Solo (had to get him out of locker room), and the potential for Hayes, is why they made the deal, not because Griff thought Darius was a scrub.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I think Darius is going to be good, especially on offense. But I think he's going to struggle next year in Cleveland. That's not the ideal fit for him playing next to Sexton. If the comp the Cavs are going with is Dame/CJ, it took CJ a couple of seasons before he was comfortable playing with Dame, and even now they struggle defensively.

I think asset accumulation, dumping Solo (had to get him out of locker room), and the potential for Hayes, is why they made the deal, not because Griff thought Darius was a scrub.
    I think Darius is going to be good, especially at offense. I can't say ''on'' offense, because when I think of the most dangerous offensive PGs they're also guys that can pass at least reasonably well, and Darius just doesn't seem interested in the entire concept of passing.

If the comp the Cavs are going with is Dame/CJ, they made a horrible mistake by drafting two 6'2'' guys who can't pass.

In reality, I don't think Cleveland are ''going with'' anything. They have a roster which is more holes than players at the minute, and are at the barebones of a rebuild. Sexton was much better at shooting than they anticipated, but probably a little worse at passing, and because he's far from a good enough prospect to stake their entire future on, they're probably just at the point where they're trying to accumulate as much raw talent as possible. Fit was probably the last thing in their minds, since they aren't committed to Sexton, or even to Garland, at this point. They can run them both and pick whichever they prefer and trade the other, especially if they're both the sharpshooters it looks like they'll be.

That's a fine tactic, but since we have so many pieces who we assume will be members of this team, at least for the foreseeable future, we've taken a different approach. In drafting Alexander-Walker, Zion, and Hayes, Griff has traded a guard, a forward, and a center. Just covering the depth chart with young, rookie talent on cheap deals. He knows who the future is built around, so he's trying to flesh out a roster, and he's not looking for a star-to-be.

I’m a little worried me might regret not drafting De’Andre Hunter, Cam Reddish, Nassir Little, Brandon Clarke, or Bol Bol if they reach their potential, but Darius Garland not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think Darius is going to be good, especially at offense. I can't say ''on'' offense, because when I think of the most dangerous offensive PGs they're also guys that can pass at least reasonably well, and Darius just doesn't seem interested in the entire concept of passing.

If the comp the Cavs are going with is Dame/CJ, they made a horrible mistake by drafting two 6'2'' guys who can't pass.

In reality, I don't think Cleveland are ''going with'' anything. They have a roster which is more holes than players at the minute, and are at the barebones of a rebuild. Sexton was much better at shooting than they anticipated, but probably a little worse at passing, and because he's far from a good enough prospect to stake their entire future on, they're probably just at the point where they're trying to accumulate as much raw talent as possible. Fit was probably the last thing in their minds, since they aren't committed to Sexton, or even to Garland, at this point. They can run them both and pick whichever they prefer and trade the other, especially if they're both the sharpshooters it looks like they'll be.

That's a fine tactic, but since we have so many pieces who we assume will be members of this team, at least for the foreseeable future, we've taken a different approach. In drafting Alexander-Walker, Zion, and Hayes, Griff has traded a guard, a forward, and a center. Just covering the depth chart with young, rookie talent on cheap deals. He knows who the future is built around, so he's trying to flesh out a roster, and he's not looking for a star-to-be.
    Yes I don’t think they will be that good, but I will be pulling for them to have a decent record to hopefully pick in the 11-14 range so we get that 1st next year. I seriously doubt it. I hope Kevin Love, Jordan Clarkson, Collin Sexton, and Darius Garland have huge years. If not one of our guys, I hope Garland wins rookie of the year so we get that pick.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-22-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

This is the second time you've referred to having to "get Solo out of the locker room". Just exactly what are you referring to? I've never heard any reports of him being bad in the locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    While I didn't see any that great with Garland I rather people make these type of statements now not after a player becomes great. I respect the OP opinion and take.
    The OP may indeed be right about Garland. I love his shot, especially from distance, and I love his energy. But outside of his shot, he has a long way to go to being a complete player worthy of the #4 pick. Seriously though, it's hard to tell whether he is really upset that the Pelicans didn't take Garland because of his belief in the player or whether he wanted to take a hard swipe at Griffin. Either way, he is entitled to his opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    Darius Garland.

Griffin is a terrible scout of talent. When you guys realize this statement this season, feel free to bump this thread.

My God is Griffin terrible at viewing talent.
    Riley Demps? Is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Yes I don’t think they will be that good, but I will be pulling for them to have a decent record to hopefully pick in the 11-14 range so we get that 1st next year. I seriously doubt it. I hope Kevin Love, Jordan Clarkson, Collin Sexton, and Darius Garland have huge years. If not one of our guys, I hope Garland wins rookie of the year so we get that pick.
    Zion is winning rookie of the year unless he absolutely flops. There's just too much hype behind him. It's like Lebron in 2003: you can actually argue that Carmelo deserved the ROTY, but Lebron had so much hype and narrative momentum that he was never going to lose. Zion is the same.

I actually think Garland would have been a big hit in Gentry’s system. He might not have killed it in our half court sets (still could be very useful because of his 3 ball), he would kill it in transition.

Having said that, it’s too early to tell. And for all my reservations on Jaxson, I will love the guy and hope he reaches the potential.
    Tbf to him I was asking for a longer rebuild, and he fits the mold of a player that won’t kill our draft pick whilst potentially becoming a star down the road. High risk high reward

Nope, I’m not Darius.
    Nope, not bitter fan or sticking it to anyone.

When players come along and know how to shoot that compact and fluid with a better than average handle AT 18-19 years old, you take them!

Steph, KD, Klay, Ray, etc...Find me a player with an amazing shooting form that wasn’t worth a top 5 pick with high FG% from 2 and 3 in college that wasn’t a star! Find one!

Then actually understand and look at the idea that there could be an argument that Darius at point might have the greatest shooting form ever...who I don’t care how small the sample size is PERFORMED WITH HIGH SHOOTING PERCENTAGES and then you will come back to this thread in December and January and say “hey...yeaa...guy was right”.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    This is the second time you've referred to having to "get Solo out of the locker room". Just exactly what are you referring to? I've never heard any reports of him being bad in the locker room.
    He wasn't bad, as in a bad dude or anything.
    My understanding is that he was just ready to bounce and go somewhere he could contribute in the last year of his deal and earn his next contract. He wasn't happy with his role on the team. If you're building towards the future and instill a new culture, a dude that's going to sit on the bench brooding, isn't what you want.

Griff saying "you're either all in, or you're all out" wasn't solely for Anthony Davis.

Nope, I’m not Darius.

When players come along and know how to shoot that compact and fluid with a better than average handle AT 18-19 years old, you take them!

Steph, KD, Klay, Ray, etc...Find me a player with an amazing shooting form that wasn’t worth a top 5 pick with high FG% from 2 and 3 in college that wasn’t a star! Find one!

Then actually understand and look at the idea that there could be an argument that Darius at point might have the greatest shooting form ever...who I don’t care how small the sample size is PERFORMED WITH HIGH SHOOTING PERCENTAGES and then you will come back to this thread in December and January and say “hey...yeaa...guy was right”.
    Jimmer

Oh and did I forgot to say that Rich Paul and them are putting money behind him. Sometimes stuff is so obvious and I shake my head because the NBA draft is so ridiculous that in 2019 people still think drafting for need and just not flat out “who’s the best” is an adequate strategy.

You will regret.......

....scrolling down for this cliffhanger.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Nope, I’m not Darius.

Nobody is saying he wasn't worth a top 5 pick.

His handle isn't that much better than average, and actually, his shooting form isn't that amazing at all. He makes the shots, but in terms of pure form, his release point is too low and his guide hand does almost nothing: it's actually pretty sub-optimal. Obviously that doesn't matter for him because he makes them anyway, but his form is far from ''amazing''.

''Might have the greatest shooting form ever'' is a HELL of a prediction. I mean, you named guys who have better pure form than him in your own post, like Ray Allen and Klay.

If he works out as a shooter, nobody will mind admitting you're right there, but also nobody will care because no one is disagreeing that he can shoot. When he learns how to pass at a high level and becomes even passable on defense, then let me know.

Thread Information