Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 DRAFT DAY THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Here's Zion again, looking still much taller than 6'7 listed Barrett, and also looking an inch or so taller than 6'8 listed Cam Reddish.

Zion confirmed for 6'9.5
    Who knew Elmo was 6'2? Sheesh, I would take a flyer on him in the second round

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    If I’m being honest, I’d bet the bank we trade pick 4 for a player, count on it.
    My 3 trades that I would want to see.

1. Myles Turner and #18 (Porter, K.Johnson, or Langford) for pick #4 (Garland), Hill, and Moore

2. Jaylon Brown, #14 (Goga Bitadze), and #20 (Cam Johnson) for pick #4 (Garland) and Moore

3. Picks #8 (Jaxson Hayes) and #10 (Doumbouya or Reddish) for #4 (Garland)
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 06-19-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    My 3 trades that I would want to see.

1. Myles Turner and #18 (Porter, K.Johnson, or Langford) for pick #4 (Garland), Hill, and Moore

2. Jaylon Brown, #14 (Goga Bitadze), and #20 (Cam Johnson) for pick #4 (Garland) and Moore

3. Picks #8 (Jaxson Hayes) and #10 (Doumbouya or Reddish) for #4 (Garland)
    I like them all but my favorite is turner, there is no better player to put next to Zion

I like them all but my favorite is turner, there is no better player to put next to Zion
    I agree. Turner would be a game changer. If only the basketball gods would listen.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Does Minny have anyone we covet? They wouldn't trade us Karl Anthony-Towns. Not sure I'd want him. Dieng? Is he still anything? Dario Saric? Covington? Tyus Jones finally is a Pelican as was his destiny?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Does Minny have anyone we covet? They wouldn't trade us Karl Anthony-Towns. Not sure I'd want him. Dieng? Is he still anything? Dario Saric? Covington? Tyus Jones finally is a Pelican as was his destiny?
    David Griffin acquiring Tyus Jones because Zion played with Tre Jones in college

Next level strategy.
    Basketball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Huh. I didn't realize that was Tyus's little brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Huh. I didn't realize that was Tyus's little brother.
    Yep, small world. Griff's one smart cookie.

In reality though, I'd seriously consider Covington. He is a little older, but he's not old-old, and his contract is not bad: it's only about the same size as Hills, and Covington can actually contribute at a high level on D as well as shoot. Not sure if I love it, I'd have to consider it more, but there's at least one guy they have who isn't garbage.

If I’m being honest, I’d bet the bank we trade pick 4 for a player, count on it.
    It would be terrible if we trade the pick at all. For a player or to trade down. There's talent at 4. There are nothing but gambles from 8 and below. As far as for a player, I feel that would be the same mistake we made with AD. The young vets model is not good to build on. Denver and Brooklyn showed us that a good mixture of young guys and vets is the proper way to rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    It would be terrible if we trade the pick at all. For a player or to trade down. There's talent at 4. There are nothing but gambles from 8 and below. As far as for a player, I feel that would be the same mistake we made with AD. The young vets model is not good to build on. Denver and Brooklyn showed us that a good mixture of young guys and vets is the proper way to rebuild.
    Depends, and I agree with you. If we trade it for a young future star like Myles turner who is 21, is he thrilled. If we trade it for a 27 year old vet, not so much

The idea that there's nothing but gambles from 8 down is absurd. There are a bunch of very good prospects in this draft with tons of upside all the way through the top 12 or so.

Zion, Morant, Barrett, Culver, Garland, Hunter, Hayes, Doumbouya, Clarke, Washington, Williams, Okeke, Porter Jr, Bitadze. There's 14 guys who are all very promising guys in this draft and could plausibly go within the top 12.

I guess in the super literal sense, they're gambles, but by that logic so is every draft prospect. #2 is a gamble, Morant's not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    If this means adding Wiggins, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 60minutes View Post
    If this means adding Wiggins, no thanks.
    Wouldn't do Wiggins for it, but I might do it for something like

#4 and Moore
    for
    #11, Covington, and their 2020 FRP (Top 5 protected)

Wouldn't do Wiggins for it, but I might do it for something like

#4 and Moore
    for
    #11, Covington, and their 2020 FRP (Top 5 protected)
    I'd consider that deal.

The idea that there's nothing but gambles from 8 down is absurd. There are a bunch of very good prospects in this draft with tons of upside all the way through the top 12 or so.

Zion, Morant, Barrett, Culver, Garland, Hunter, Hayes, Doumbouya, Clarke, Washington, Williams, Okeke, Porter Jr, Bitadze. There's 14 guys who are all very promising guys in this draft and could plausibly go within the top 12.

I guess in the super literal sense, they're gambles, but by that logic so is every draft prospect. #2 is a gamble, Morant's not perfect.
    I mean most of the guys after 8 have ceilings as role players. You have much better chance of drafting a star at 4. Of course there are outliers, but not in this draft imo. Reddish is the only guy that might get drafted at 8 that has star potential.

Depends, and I agree with you. If we trade it for a young future star like Myles turner who is 21, is he thrilled. If we trade it for a 27 year old vet, not so much
    Myles is a good talent. But what do you think about Zion eventually transitioning to starting center? He already looks to be 6'10 and still young.

I mean most of the guys after 8 have ceilings as role players. You have much better chance of drafting a star at 4. Of course there are outliers, but not in this draft imo. Reddish is the only guy that might get drafted at 8 that has star potential.
    Completely disagree. I actually think Reddish has more of a chance of busting out almost anyone else predicted to go highly in this draft. His handle is poor at best, his shot release changes depending on whether it's contested or not, he has some of the worst finishing at the rim of any player I've ever seen ever, his passing is not instinctual, and while his defense is good, it's not nearly as impressive as some of the other names in this draft (Okeke, Hunter, Culver, for example).

Culver, Clarke, Okeke, Porter Jr, Hunter, Hayes, and Bitadze all have a very realistic chance of being significantly better than Reddish, and that's just in names that could go around #8.

Myles is a good talent. But what do you think about Zion eventually transitioning to starting center? He already looks to be 6'10 and still young.
    To me you are who you defend, Zion can guard any position, Myles is an amazing rim protector and 3pt shooter. They would fit perfect together

One of four things will happen with the 4th pick

1. We trade to the Pacers in a package for Myles Turner.

2. We trade to the Hawks for their 2 picks

3. We trade to the Timberwolves for a package with Covington

4. Or we draft whoever we're gonna draft
    Take your pick

To me. Unless a deal is done for Beal or Turner straight up for the 4th then i dont think we should trade it away.

Didn't realize turner was only 23

Turner should be our number one goal here, but if Indiana don’t play ball I say draft Culver/Garland or trade back with Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Turner should be our number one goal here, but if Indiana don’t play ball I say draft Culver/Garland or trade back with Atlanta.
    I agree 100%.

However, if we can use it to get Beal i think its a better option.

If we can then go get a big man in FA... We would be set for the next 10 years.

DRAFT EVE FINAL:

I've gone over the tape, read the scouting reports, flip-flopped a dozen times and finally arrived at my final totally amateur-hour fantasy draft for the Pels tomorrow night. Without further delay...

Pick 1: Zion Williamson, Duke. What's left to be said? Freak show athlete who plays with total effort and looks to be a player to build a dynasty around. A little LeBron. A little Sir Charles. A dash of Wes Unseld? Zion is unique and I can't wait to see what he can turn into as a full time NBA player.

Pick 4: We have a trade! The New Orleans Pelicans send the 4th overall selection in the 2019 NBA Draft, along with SF Solomon Hill, to the Atlanta Hawks in exchange for the 8th and 10th overall selections.

Pick 8: Jaxson Hayes PF/C University of Texas. The Pels use their second selection on a bouncy, rangy young big who fits the mold of the modern NBA pivot. Hayes will need time to develop but he is a high-level athlete with good hands and a sports pedigree who can start off as a rim runner and rim protector while he finishes growing into his body.

Pick 10: For the second time tonight we have a trade. The Pels ship their 10th, 39th and 57th overall selections in the 2019 NBA Draft, along with guard Frank Jackson, to the Boston Celtics for 14th and 22nd picks.

Trading Jackson stings. He looks like he can be a solid player in the league but with Ball, Jrue, Moore, Hart and Bertans on the roster we've got a bit of a jam up in the backcourt. I also want to bring Elfrid back as he and Ball are very close in playing style and help maintain the Pels running identity behind a pass-first lead guard for 48 minutes. I'm not sure Frank is really a PG at heart. He is really an undersized SG who can provide scoring punch off the bench. He has value which is why the Cs need him to seal this deal.

Pick 14: Brandon Clarke PF/C Gonzaga: Clarke is basically Zion-lite. A 6' 8" freak athlete with a 40+" vertical, a high basketball IQ, high motor and nose for defense. His shot has been retooled and looks ok but this is a play based a bit on intangibles. Clarke just plays like a great basketball player. He has short arms and is a bit light in the duff to play down low in the NBA, but the idea of he and Zion patrolling the paint in a NASCAR, small- ball line up, makes me drool. He fits perfectly with the run-first identity the Pels are building.

Pick 22: Cameron Johnson SF North Carolina: Johnson was a key cog for a great UNC team last year and an absolute knock down shooter from behind the arc. He's long (6'8"--see a pattern here?) and a sneaky good athlete, as his combine testing showed. He's not a great defensive player and a bit of a one-trick pony at least at this point in his development, but it's a really good trick. He may be the best shooter in the draft.

Summary:

I know, I know, it's a lot of rooks. But so what? Does anyone really expect us to challenge in the next couple of years? I view this as a core that can grown together, a quartet of smart, savvy basketball players who can grow together and I think it has been demonstrated by the Raptors and Bucks this year, that you can go far with a team of good role players surrounding a transcendent superstar. That's the model I hope Griffin and the Pels choose to go with. In a sense this kind of draft would remind me of the haul Rod Thorn made in the 2001 draft to set the Nets up for their finals runs with Jason Kidd. We'd still have some holes, notably shooting, but with Moore and Miller (and even Bertrans) we'd have some shooting on the roster and I think it's a skill you can both develop in players and acquire on the market. Plus, the Pels showed last season that, even in the analytics age, you can be a high-scoring team without high level outside shooting. Translation: get to the rim. And this squad should excel at that.
    Last edited by new city champ; 06-19-2019 at 11:35 PM.

Thread Information