Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Will you be happy or sad if we can’t trade the 4th pick?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Happy

11 34.38%
  • Sad

4 12.50%
  • Meh

17 53.13%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will you be upset if we can’t trade the 4th pick?

Will you be upset if we can’t trade the 4th pick?

I really don’t want to end the night with the 4th pick. I would prefer not going into the season with multiple rookies, and would like to see it either moved for a young vet or for picks in the future. I think Griff wants the same things (based on reports that we are looking to ship the 4th pick). If there was a valuable player like RJ or Ja there than this would be a different story, but I don’t think either of those guys will drop.

So, at the end of the day, if we end up keeping the 4th pick, will you be happy, or sad?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I voted meh. If we keep it, then it's all about who we draft: there are plenty of young guys in this draft who have potential, and as long as we draft one of them instead of a complete dud like Reddish (exaggerating, but only a little) then I'm fine with it. On the other hand, if we move it, for Covington and #11, or for Atlanta's picks, or whatever, then I'll be fine with it too.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I voted meh. If we keep it, then it's all about who we draft: there are plenty of young guys in this draft who have potential, and as long as we draft one of them instead of a complete dud like Reddish (exaggerating, but only a little) then I'm fine with it. On the other hand, if we move it, for Covington and #11, or for Atlanta's picks, or whatever, then I'll be fine with it too.
    Yup I'm with that. With Covington or Saric (or both if Minny would be that naive) and the 11th pick would be perfect for me. But I'm cool either way.

I am ok if David Griffin is ok. So far he seems to be making all the right moves and he know more than I do.

I'm in the camp at shooting your best shoot at 4th in a weak draft. We honestly don't know when we will ever got this high of a draft slot. So, I say risk it and try to draft a complementary star. Quit trying to chase assets and start building a team. We have enough assets..

We either draft or trade straight up for a star.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I will be happy picking at #4 for us.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Yup I'm with that. With Covington or Saric (or both if Minny would be that naive) and the 11th pick would be perfect for me. But I'm cool either way.
    No and no! Pass on both of them! Why would we give up anything for two very average players? We already have solid d. Don’t to add Covington.

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    No and no! Pass on both of them! Why would we give up anything for two very average players? We already have solid d. Don’t to add Covington.
    Covington is one of the best 3&D players in the league, is on a very cheap contract for a long time, and fits the ''small forward who can shoot'' shaped hole we've had on the team for about 8 years.

Sometimes this trade speculation reminds me of an old saying, "don't let that money burn a hole in your pocket". Both inside and outside it seems everyone wants to spend our hard earned money(trades) just cause we have a little change in our pocket.

I wonder how many people calling for Pels to trade their 4th pick for an established veteran were also calling for Dell’s head for trading all of our picks for... (wait for it).... established veterans.

I want to keep the 4th pick and grab Garland, but would consider trading it for the right piece to compliment the team. If we are hoping to draft a long term compliment to Zion, this is the year to do it. However, i trust Griffen and Langdon know much more than I do, so I trust their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I'm in the camp at shooting your best shoot at 4th in a weak draft. We honestly don't know when we will ever got this high of a draft slot. So, I say risk it and try to draft a complementary star. Quit trying to chase assets and start building a team. We have enough assets..

We either draft or trade straight up for a star.
    Griffin has stated that we're looking to trade the pick for solid young vets. We can build a great team with that. We dont have to go after straight rookies to build. Have faith in Griff.

Griffin has stated that we're looking to trade the pick for solid young vets. We can build a great team with that. We dont have to go after straight rookies to build. Have faith in Griff.
    Can I get a link to where Griff has said we're looking to trade the pick for a veteran?

Quote Originally Posted by cmariaou View Post
    I wonder how many people calling for Pels to trade their 4th pick for an established veteran were also calling for Dell’s head for trading all of our picks for... (wait for it).... established veterans.

I want to keep the 4th pick and grab Garland, but would consider trading it for the right piece to compliment the team. If we are hoping to draft a long term compliment to Zion, this is the year to do it. However, i trust Griffen and Langdon know much more than I do, so I trust their decision.
    Dell was throwing first rounders at the likes of Asik, who turned out to be just as poo as I’d predicted he’d be for us. If we get Myles Turner, That would be quite a haul considering we already have our starting guards in the lineup. Turner is a hell of a defensive player with a 3 point shot. We are lacking spacing in the current lineup, so it makes sense. He is the perfect fit at center.

I like Culver and Garland though, so I’d be fine with both. Beal would be a weird move.

Can I get a link to where Griff has said we're looking to trade the pick for a veteran?
    The same place he has said we traded AD .

It's all over, a vet wasn't the exact terminology. It was like a current all-star, a young player who could potentially become an all-star, and 1st rounds picks.

Tacos!

Unless it is for Beal, Tatum (definitely unlikely), or maybe Turner, happy!

I would be upset if the Pelz don't stay put at #4 and draft Darius Garland. That kid is special.

We may not win right away, but with Zion and Darius, the Pelz become the most entertaining team in the NBA right away.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Not in my mind.

Doubtful. I think it would make it harder for the Lakers to dictate the timeline as the team acquiring the 4th would that player to play in the summer league.

Players selected #4 overall in the last 20 years:

1998 - Antawn Jamison (Vince Carter #5)
    1999 - Lamar Odom
    2000 - Marcus Fizer
    2001 - Eddy Curry
    2002 - Drew Gooden
    2003 - Chris Bosh
    2004 - Shaun Livingston
    2005 - Chris Paul
    2006 - Tyrus Thomas
    2007 - Mike Conley
    2008 - Russell Westbrook
    2009 - Tyreke Evans (Curry #7; DeRozan #9)
    2010 - Wesley Johnson (Cousins #5; P. George #10)
    2011 - Tristan Thompson (K. Walker #9; K. Thompson #11)
    2012 - Dion Waiters (Lillard #6)
    2013 - Cody Zeller
    2014 - Aaron Gordon
    2015 - Kristaps Porzingas
    2016 - Dragan Bender (Hield #6; Murray #7)
    2017 - Josh Jackson (D. Fox #5)
    2018 - Jaren Jackson (T. Young #5)

Overall, you have about a 50% chance at getting a good, long-term starter at #4. Also seems to be more success with PG's taken at #4 and in the picks immediately thereafter than there is with big men. So I would be perfectly OK staying at #4 and rolling the dice on Garland or Coby White. Think it will work itself out in the long run with Jrue and Lonzo - don't think both will be here two years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    I would be upset if the Pelz don't stay put at #4 and draft Darius Garland. That kid is special.

We may not win right away, but with Zion and Darius, the Pelz become the most entertaining team in the NBA right away.
    I like Garland as well but Gentry loves Zo.. they seem pretty set as him as the PG going forward. We're either trading the pick our drafting for a position of need ala Hunter, Culver imo

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I honestly don't care. It'd be nice to get another top 5 talent in this draft. I really like Culver, so it'd be cool. But at the same time if we trade it, and get a good return, I'll be for it.

Quote Originally Posted by pr1840 View Post
    Players selected #4 overall in the last 20 years:

1998 - Antawn Jamison (Vince Carter #5)
    1999 - Lamar Odom
    2000 - Marcus Fizer
    2001 - Eddy Curry
    2002 - Drew Gooden
    2003 - Chris Bosh
    2004 - Shaun Livingston
    2005 - Chris Paul
    2006 - Tyrus Thomas
    2007 - Mike Conley
    2008 - Russell Westbrook
    2009 - Tyreke Evans (Curry #7; DeRozan #9)
    2010 - Wesley Johnson (Cousins #5; P. George #10)
    2011 - Tristan Thompson (K. Walker #9; K. Thompson #11)
    2012 - Dion Waiters (Lillard #6)
    2013 - Cody Zeller
    2014 - Aaron Gordon
    2015 - Kristaps Porzingas
    2016 - Dragan Bender (Hield #6; Murray #7)
    2017 - Josh Jackson (D. Fox #5)
    2018 - Jaren Jackson (T. Young #5)

Overall, you have about a 50% chance at getting a good, long-term starter at #4. Also seems to be more success with PG's taken at #4 and in the picks immediately thereafter than there is with big men. So I would be perfectly OK staying at #4 and rolling the dice on Garland or Coby White. Think it will work itself out in the long run with Jrue and Lonzo - don't think both will be here two years from now.
    2019 - Darius Garland

Thread Information