Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4th Pick: Cliff Notes Version

4th Pick: Cliff Notes Version

Trying to put it all together. Teams and what they are offering. Probably off by a team/player/pick or two:

Teams interested in the Pels 4th pick:

Atlanta: for the 8th and 10th picks this year?
    Boston: for whoever is left stuck in purgatory
    Chicago: for some 7' guy from Finland and their 7th pick people are on crack
    Indiana: for two guys I am not familiar with but everyone seems to like
    Minnesota: for I have no clue; what happened to Minnesota last year? They were everyone's favorite sleeper to move Okogie, #11, and Wiggins
    Phoenix: for their 6th and taking SH off our books
    Washington: for Beal and their 9th?

Pels also interested in moving up was a rumor earlier today, but I gotta think that was to stoke the fire a bit

As far as I am concerned Pels sit in the Catbird seat. If teams want that pick they pay up and take SH with it as well. No future picks. Maybe Lonzo or Ingram, but at this point why? Let's go with it. AND certainly would not like to see Jrue gone. If they kept Gentry because of loyalty, heck Jrue is owed half the franchise.

Please add or subtract. Enjoy reading everyone's comments. What an exciting time to be a Pels fan. What a time to be a New Orleans sports fan.
    Last edited by WildlifeAirGrp; 06-19-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Markkanen is not getting moved. Book it.

And Minnesota want to move Okogie, #11, and Wiggins.
    Basketball.

Depending on the player coming back and their position you absolutely include Ingram or Ball. Neither will be happy with a bench role and could boost the value of the player coming back to borderline all-star caliber.

No way Chicago moves Laurie, whoever is speculating that is on crack.

One more team interested in the Pelicans' pick at #4 -- the Pelicans.

Teams do crazy things around draft time. If a team is convinced Culver or Garland is their guy and Memphis has cooled on Morant or New York has cooled on Barrett, they could trade up to one of their spots instead of with New Orleans. In that case, either Morant or Barrett falls to #4 and the Pelicans don't trade the pick. As much as I want to know what will happen with the pick, it is smart to agree to a trade only if the player they want isn't available then. Of course, if Phoenix or Chicago want Ball straight up for their pick, you take it, giving you flexibility to trade the #4 and/or #6/7 or trade one and keep the other. So many options, but one is keeping the pick and making a selection, whether it be Garland, Hunter, Hayes or someone who falls unexpectedly to #4.

Here's my bet.

Griff trades down to the Suns, swapping #4 for #6 and gaining an asset.

Then he trades down from #6 to #8, to Atlanta, gaining an asset.

Then he trades down from #8 to #11, to Minnesota, gaining an asset.

The from #11 to #13, with Boston, gaining another asset.

Just assets all the way down. Finishes the night having done 14 trade downs, gaining an asset each time. Flawless victory.

Young veteran strategy: Five trade options for New Orleans Pelicans which include Los Angeles Lakers fourth overall pick https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2019/6...source=twitter via @thebirdwrites

Quote Originally Posted by Hoochican View Post
    Young veteran strategy: Five trade options for New Orleans Pelicans which include Los Angeles Lakers fourth overall pick https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2019/6...source=twitter via @thebirdwrites
    I actually like the Wolves Deal. Covington, Okogie, and number 11 for Hill and 4. Sounds good to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hoochican View Post
    Got called crazy earlier in another thread lol, but I would do the Hill+4th pick to the Wolves for Covington, Okogie and the 11th pick. Gives us much needed depth and if we wanted to flip them we could for other talent. Then our major concern would be on streching the floor with bigs

How do y’all feel about Aaron Gordon and a pick for 4?

I feel like if we trade today or tomorrow, a trade like the hypothetical TWolves trade is more likely. If we wait until draft day, then we are going to gamble that someone that a team really covets falls to number four and they are going to give up someone like Myles Turner. It’s a gamble but one with good odds.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Don't think they do it. Plus they already have an influx on young players to develop, so adding to it doesnt seem ideal. However if the price is right, I'd go for Gordon!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I feel like if we trade today or tomorrow, a trade like the hypothetical TWolves trade is more likely. If we wait until draft day, then we are going to gamble that someone that a team really covets falls to number four and they are going to give up someone like Myles Turner. It’s a gamble but one with good odds.

That Wolves trade is the safest trade to me. Bringing in young vets will be so valuable, plus we cam still flip the 11th pick if we wanted or draft a pretty decent Big

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    That Wolves trade is the safest trade to me. Bringing in young vets will be so valuable, plus we cam still flip the 11th pick if we wanted or draft a pretty decent Big
    Yeah exactly. I’m ok with that. We have won this trade over and over. Just take the safe bet and get a ready made roster without having to worry about signing depth in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    No way Chicago moves Laurie, whoever is speculating that is on crack.
    I prefer my opioides thank you.

And as long as they secure a very good backup point guard. That is an absolute necessity.

I like the Wolves trade as long as we dont get dupped into taking back Wiggins salary.

I'm also content to sit on it and draft Hunter at #4. Or Barrett/Morant if they are somehow available. I'm not sold on Culver without more proof that he can be an effective shooter off the ball. Someone else feel free to school me on that.

Garland would be a fun toy to have but ultimately I don't see it working unless he is going to strictly be a second unit lead scorer his entire time here. I dont think you can start him at PG in this offense and expect him to facilitate the way our roster needs. Might as well put Tremont Waters in the starting lineup.

Edit: I will also be changing my username to another more appropriate star wars reference once this roster is set. I'm open to ideas!
    Last edited by AD-AT; 06-18-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Now that the Knicks are bringing in Garland on a last minute workout tomorrow we better stand pat. Hopefully Barrett didn’t work out all that great for them and Garland puts on a show. Have we had anyone in for workouts yet?

Knowing the Knicks and how they draft they might pass on Barrett. The NBA is a shooters league nowadays and Steph Curry has teams chasing for the next one. If we didn’t have Ball & Jrue, Garland would be the guy at 4 for me. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen the Knicks take a guy no one had mocked to them early in the draft. They passed on SGA last year and may feel that Garland will be better than RJ. RJ might not fit with what they want to do long term. If they go after KD, they may want a shooting point guard over a wing. Maybe they still have faith in Kevin Knox becoming a good player and rather Dennis Smith Jr coming off the bench as a combo guard, 6th man. I think he fits better coming off the bench.

If Barrett doesn’t fall then I’m looking at Atlanta for 8 & 10. Then I’m looking at Boston for 14 & 20 for 8.

1. Draft RJ Barrett - my number 1 target at 4 without a doubt

2. Trade back twice - Draft a center, power forward, & small forward
    10. Cam Reddish, Sekou Doumbouya, or Jaxson Hayes
    14. Rui Hachimura, Brandon Clarke, Kabengele, Bol Bol, Romeo Langford, Nassir Little, PJ Washington
    20. Bol Bol, Kabengele, Brandon Clarke, Keldon Johnson, Kevin Porter, Romeo Langford, Goga Bitadze, Bruno Fernando, Claxton

3. Trade back once - 8. Jaxson Hayes 10. Cam Reddish, Sekou Doumbouya, or Nassir Little

4. Draft De’Andre Hunter - unless we bring in Darius Garland for a workout and dude is just too good to pass on

I still like trading with Atlanta for 8 and 10. The thought of closing playoff games with a Brandon Clarke/Zion front court has left me drooling late at night. Ive been blaming it on the dog, but I think the wife has caught on. The defensive potential of that lineup is off the charts amazing. With Clarke reworking his jumper, and the touch he has on floaters and around the rim, I am pretty confident he will become a league average shooter. He also handles well for his size and has flashed the potential to be a good playmaker at the 4/5. I know Im a broken record on him but I just don’t think there is anyway that guy isn’t contributing to winning basketball for a long time. With the other pick you could go a variety of directions…..Colby White, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Hunter, maybe Cam Johson(bit of a reach). Or trade back with the other pick and target a shooter.

Im not a highlight guy but come on. A few clips of the jumper later on in the clip, Im not saying its the most fluid thing I have ever seen, but its something to work with, and if you look at it before this year the difference is night and day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSV_7AUUk0A

I finally found a clip but this is what he was working with a year ago.
    https://twitter.com/colezwicker/stat...ndon-clarke%2F

To this…..https://twitter.com/colezwicker/stat...ndon-clarke%2F
    Last edited by bogiesfedora; 06-19-2019 at 12:44 AM.

I wouldnt be mad if we traded down as well. Maybe trade for ATL's picks then move down again for Boston's picks maybe. However if we did, I'd look for either solid Big men or great shooters because thats our biggest needs. People like Cameron Johnson (Best shooter available), Bol Bol, Bitadze, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I wouldn't do it personally.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

This is what we should do. If we think we can get equal quality prospect at 4 as we can at 2 or 3 we should stay at 4. However if we subscribe to the idea that the talent falls off at 3 we should move up. The only way we should move down is if they view all the prospects 2-8 with very similar grades. However we should be drafting at least twice in the top 10 in this draft.

garland or deandre hunter

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/06/la...rojection.html

Who does this trade? I would in a heartbeat.
    I’d do it. We get another wing In case something goes wrong with ingram.

Thread Information