Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zion Hype

Draft Zion Hype

This thread is for Zion Hype only! No trade discussion talks, no free agency discussion, just hype for our new franchise player who will be incoming in a few days time.

Let's start with this fantastic little clip of Coach K talking about Zion:

Also, key question: What part of Zion's game are you most excited to watch next season?
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-18-2019 at 06:48 PM.
    Basketball.

Oh look, here's this

Quote Originally Posted by brentmd2 View Post
    The fact that ESPN let this guy write this article let’s you know how far they have dropped. And they actually put it front page! Infuriating
    ZION! ZION! ZION! You know what I love? ZION!!!! What do you like most about him coming to NOLA??!?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoochican View Post
    ZION! ZION! ZION! You know what I love? ZION!!!! What do you like most about him coming to NOLA??!?

I just wanted a nice thread where everyone could be excited about Zion.

And instead, we gotta get angry at the media again

Everything. I enjoy that he will a centerpiece of hope for a team being put together well by very talented people.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

I just wanted a nice thread where everyone could be excited about Zion.

And instead, we gotta get angry at the media again

Agreed! Trying to keep the thread on that.

There is also this... Wish I were local to watch it...

How long do you think it will take to plaster his picture on the side of the arena? HA ha ha

How long do you think it will take to plaster his picture on the side of the arena? HA ha ha
    No idea, but he already got those mystery billboards like the day after we got the #1 pick, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was soon.

Agreed! Trying to keep the thread on that.

There is also this... Wish I were local to watch it...

That Zion candle is hilarious!

Zion Williamson: Patron Saint of Dunks

Just looking at some of my notes that I took from a bunch of Duke games. Here's some key lines about Zion that I kept writing in a bunch of different circumstances. Different games, different plays, but these kept coming up:

- Super smooth passing IQ, instinctual. Completely unselfish.
    - Ridiculous vertical burst and explosion
    - Speed and accuracy on the passing is admirable (also wrote ''reminds me a little of the passes Lebron throws from the high post'')
    - Absurd offensive awareness, even off ball
    - Craftiness on both ends of the ball
    - Brilliant touch, regardless of contact
    - Command of the opposing defense, control over the pace of play
    - Sharp execution, just too strong and decisive to stop
    - Fantastic timing and anticipation, both on passes and on defense

Man, so much upside.

Heck yes!

It's time our Future took center stage.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Heck yes!

It's time our Future took center stage.
    We have talked about Zion entirely too little. I get why, the AD trade and everything has taken up so much time and attention, but it's a crying shame we haven't been going crazy over Zion for weeks.

I just watched the ESPN video on Zion that's posted in the other thread. Wow. There's so much to like, and most of his negatives seem to either be due to inexperience or are fixable.

But what I like most is, he's got intensity like you see in guys like Draymond and Russell Westbrook. And David West. Our team has been lacking that for a long, long time.

Holy crap with all the AD trade talk I seriously forgot we got ZION!!! Holy

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Holy crap with all the AD trade talk I seriously forgot we got ZION!!! Holy
    That's why I made the thread!! We have not talked about this NEARLY enough.

That draft is imminent! Hype!

Look at the absolute size on this lad. Absolute unit.

Also, note what I've said before. RJ is listed at 6'7. Zion is noticeably taller than him in this video, stood side by side.

Somebody lied. RJ isn't 6'7 and Zion isn't 6'6.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Somebody lied. RJ isn't 6'7 and Zion isn't 6'6.
    I said probably about two months ago that, looking at them on court and compared to each other and other players, there's no way Zion is under 6'8. Looking at this video, he seems more like 6'9.

Wish he had been measured at the combine, so we would know for sure.

https://www.nola.com/pelicans/2019/0...w-orleans.html

I’ve been seeing some people saying I got chicken tenders,” Williamson said. "No, that was my 5-year-old brother that did that. I got fried shrimp with some mashed potatoes.”
    Boy the NY media is trying everything

Maybe it was there with AD and I don't remember it, but to me it seems like Zion is embracing that he will be the face of the Pelicans and New Orleans basketball for many years to come. He seems to be saying all of the right things of someone who is ready to lead and take over a franchise with the pieces in place and exited about what other assets could be added. It's just a gut feeling and I know it's a different era of the NBA, but Zion could be the Pelicans Tim Duncan. Sure, he overlapped with Robinson, but he took over from a star and was the face of a franchise his entire career. This is exciting times to be a Pelicans fan. It's not a basketball trade, but the trade that comes to mind in how it affected to franchises is the Hershell Walker trade. That traded ended up creating the Triplets in Dallas while it stunted the Vikings for many years. Sure the Lakers may some some initial success, maybe, but the Pelicans can build a dynasty.

AD said all the right things too... Before he didn't. Don't read too much into it. We've got 4 years to build a contender around Zion. What he does after that will depend on how successful we are.

Thread Information