Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Givony: Minnesota, Chicago, Boston are looking to trade to #4 for Garland

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Bigger body, next to ZION the paint is closed completely
    Hayes is the superior rim protector at this point though, and Bitadze lacks the athleticism to play above the rim in any similar way. If you're after better defense, Hayes is the much better prospect, especially in today's NBA where bigs need to be able to guard down at least a little bit. Bitadze can't guard the perimeter at all.
    Basketball.

So we have this rumor, the falling RJ rumor, and a good guess that an established player is the Pels 1st choice of use for the #4 pick.

If RJ does fall to 4, Pels either take him or use him to flip for an established player. I can't see the Pels flipping RJ for #8 & #10. If RJ doesn't fall to the Pels as expected and they can't work a deal for an established player, then this tweet will probably be the outcome.
    Last edited by Smow-; 06-18-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    Jrue dat

The Franchise
    If Ja falls I would prob take him then trade Ball to the suns, bulls, or pacers. If RJ falls I’d take the haul he should garner. If RJ falls 8 & 10 may not be enough.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    If Ja falls I would prob take him then trade Ball to the suns, bulls, or pacers. If RJ falls I’d take the haul he should garner. If RJ falls 8 & 10 may not be enough.
    Great point, some of these trades will not be able to be agreed to until draft night because we have to see who falls. We can have handshake agreements in place for "if this" scenarios but still we may not hear anything until after the picks are in.

Marc Stein: The Timberwolves have been aggressive in their attempts to move up in the draft from No. 11 and are among the teams that have discussed acquiring No. 4 from New Orleans, league sources say 24 mins ago – via Twitter TheSteinLine

New Orleans Pelicans Rumors | team | HoopsHype https://hoopshype.com/rumor/timberwo...-in-the-draft/ via @hoopshype

Quote Originally Posted by jhow0036 View Post
    That makes no sense at all.

Memphis has been adamant that they want Ja and trading away Conley only secures that. There's no need to trade up to #2 if you want Barrett, just trade up to #3 instead.

Edit: also, how would he know that? He's a New York guy. How would he know what Memphis or NOLA are doing? Is it not more likely that he's attempting to drive up the market on Barrett, perhaps trying to allow the Knicks to move up?

Not sure I trust this one.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-19-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Memphis has been adamant that they want Ja and trading away Conley only secures that. There's no need to trade up to #2 if you want Barrett, just trade up to #3 instead.

Edit: also, how would he know that? He's a New York guy. How would he know what Memphis or NOLA are doing? Is it not more likely that he's attempting to drive up the market on Barrett, perhaps trying to allow the Knicks to move up?

Maybe the package is 4 and Ingram or 4 and jrue and they prefer garland and Ingram or garland and jrue over just Morant. Who’s knows

Lonzo
    Barret
    Ingram
    Zion
    Vucevic

Our best shooter would be our center hahaha

Unless the Pels really want Ja Morant. And to be quite honest, if I am moving up to #2, I'd take Morant over Barrett. If Knicks take Barrett as expected, then the Grizzlies would add Garland who played high school and college locally and is kind of like a hometown kid.

For the record, if the Pels chose Barrett I would not be upset. I just prefer Morant over him.

Quote Originally Posted by 60minutes View Post
    Unless the Pels really want Ja Morant. And to be quite honest, if I am moving up to #2, I'd take Morant over Barrett. If Knicks take Barrett as expected, then the Grizzlies would add Garland who played high school and college locally and is kind of like a hometown kid.

For the record, if the Pels chose Barrett I would not be upset. I just prefer Morant over him.
    I’d also rather Morant, but I trust Griffins scouting more than my own

I'd be upset. If we spent the additional assets required to persuade Memphis to move on from Morant and take Garland instead, letting us get #2, and then just picked the guy who would have been there at #3 anyway, I'd be ticked off.

I'd be upset. If we spent the additional assets required to persuade Memphis to move on from Morant and take Garland instead, letting us get #2, and then just picked the guy who would have been there at #3 anyway, I'd be ticked off.
    Knicks might view Barrett as highly as we do making it impossible to get him, so you have to leap frog them. Everyone loving Morant could be smoke by the top 4 picks so hopefully push Barrett down. Who knows, griffin could have Barrett rated much much higher than Morant

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I don't buy the Pelicans trying to trade up. But Garland is the hot name that everybody wants.

If you're Memphis, don't you have to at least consider what you could pick up by trading down? If you think Morant is a B+, and Garland is B, why not pick up extra assets? Memphis is not going to be a free agent destination, so they need to figure out how to get assets to build that team. The two picks from Jazz help, but grabbing more might be smart. There's also a scenario where you move to 4 and still end up with Morant.

Draft goes Zion, RJ, Garland, Morant... I could see the Knicks trading with one of the teams that's been trying to move up for Culver or Garland. Either way, Memphis is guaranteed a PG of the future at 4.

I'm going to bed. I can't read about the Pels trading up.... For Barrett.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm going to bed. I can't read about the Pels trading up.... For Barrett.

Sure, it makes more sense to deal with the Knicks if the target is truly Barrett AND if the Knicks are willing to do the deal. Again, for me, I strongly prefer for them to target Morant, not Barrett. But I am not anti-Barrett so if the team added him I am not going to have a cow about it. Of course, I'll be disappointed that we passed on Morant but I think Barrett has potential and if the team really wants him and does not believe that the Knicks are going to be willing to trade then going up to #2 might be their only choice.

Sure, it makes more sense to deal with the Knicks if the target is truly Barrett AND if the Knicks are willing to do the deal. Again, for me, I strongly prefer for them to target Morant, not Barrett. But I am not anti-Barrett so if the team added him I am not going to have a cow about it. Of course, I'll be disappointed that we passed on Morant but I think Barrett has potential and if the team really wants him and does not believe that the Knicks are going to be willing to trade then going up to #2 might be their only choice.
    My issue isn't that I'm ''anti-Barrett'' though. My issue is that if you want Barrett, you probably don't need #2 to get him, and the cost of moving up to #2 when the team that currently has it is reportedly in love with their guy at that position will be unnecessarily expensive.

My issue isn't that I'm ''anti-Barrett'' though. My issue is that if you want Barrett, you probably don't need #2 to get him, and the cost of moving up to #2 when the team that currently has it is reportedly in love with their guy at that position will be unnecessarily expensive.
    If the Knicks are in love with Barrett and refuse to trade the pick or completely want a bigger haul for it than Memphis would want for pick 2 is the only way it makes sense

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoochican View Post
    Marc Stein: The Timberwolves have been aggressive in their attempts to move up in the draft from No. 11 and are among the teams that have discussed acquiring No. 4 from New Orleans, league sources say 24 mins ago – via Twitter TheSteinLine

New Orleans Pelicans Rumors | team | HoopsHype https://hoopshype.com/rumor/timberwo...-in-the-draft/ via @hoopshype
    Saric, 11 (draft Langford), and 2020 1st, for #4 and Solo.

The more I read about Langford... the more that's the kid I want if we trade down. Jrue/Lonzo/Langford/Frank is a pretty damn good guard rotation. Dario would be a nice floor spacer next to Zion - sort of younger Niko.

Serious question, is saric even any good?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    If the Knicks are in love with Barrett and refuse to trade the pick or completely want a bigger haul for it than Memphis would want for pick 2 is the only way it makes sense
    I guess, but there is absolutely no reason to think Memphis are even interested in trading down. They've been locked on Morant for weeks, and literally just traded their franchise PG to make room for him. There's no way they move on from him for Garland unless you're throwing them a haul, and in the case that both Memphis AND NY want to rob you to move up, then don't even bother. Just stay at #4 and draft Culver if you love RJ that much. He's like RJ but with an active basketball IQ.

I understand. But again, if Griffin is adamant about adding Barrett, and the Knicks do not want to deal him, then the Pels might feel they have no other choice but to go up to #2. I really hope if we make a trade for Barrett that we do trade with the Knicks. Otherwise, it would be upsetting to move up to the #2 pick to pass on Morant.

I also should add that I do not think the Knicks are 100% locked into taking Barrett. I think they would be willing to consider moving down to #4 and taking Garland but it would not surprise me if they are looking for significant assets to do so.

Also, MM responded after that saying he also believes the #2 rumours are empty.

So while obviously it's no guarantee, I feel like I'm in decent company in being sceptical here. Not that MM is decent company but whatever.

I don’t get trying to trade up for Barrett. I think it’s really likely in 3 years he looks a whole lot, in terms of role and overall impact, like current day Brandon Ingram, who we already have. The offensive strengths (driving, playmaking, iso scoring, drawing fouls) and weaknesses (bad shot profiles, poor outside shooting, ball-dominant playing styles) are really similar. Their physical makeup is really different, but the spots they operate from and statistical profile I think is similar. I’m more intrigued by Ingram, as he has incredibly unusual length and has shown significantly more activity off-ball than Barrett.

I also dislike taking Culver for the same reasons, except I think he’s smaller and less athletic than either without special qualities to compensate.
    Last edited by Biasvasospasm; 06-19-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Thread Information