Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Givony: Minnesota, Chicago, Boston are looking to trade to #4 for Garland

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Not a fan of Reddish but I have to say that I love Rui.
    The single most confusing part of this entire draft to me is how much some people love Rui. I don't like Reddish, but I can at least see why some people do: he's got the size, his shooting looks good in the gym and in workouts, he has the perfect defensive build for a lengthy modern wing, etc. He's not there, but there's at least the potential, physically and in isolation.

Rui just baffles me. He may be the worst passer in this draft. He has negative feel for the game, just absolutely nothing at all. His defense is abominable. People brag about how he runs the floor like a gazelle, and that's true, but he also reads the game like a gazelle, and interprets defenses like a gazelle. Two of the things I look for above anything else in prospects are IQ and feel, and he just has absolutely none of either.

But some people absolutely love him. Confusing.
    Basketball.

Trading down for Covington or Saric is usless in my opinion.
    Saric plays 4 and we need to develop Zion.
    Covington plays 3 and we need to develop Ingram.
    Depth would be nice but talent level from 4 to 11 is not worth it.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The single most confusing part of this entire draft to me is how much some people love Rui. I don't like Reddish, but I can at least see why some people do: he's got the size, his shooting looks good in the gym and in workouts, he has the perfect defensive build for a lengthy modern wing, etc. He's not there, but there's at least the potential, physically and in isolation.

Rui just baffles me. He may be the worst passer in this draft. He has negative feel for the game, just absolutely nothing at all. His defense is abominable. People brag about how he runs the floor like a gazelle, and that's true, but he also reads the game like a gazelle, and interprets defenses like a gazelle. Two of the things I look for above anything else in prospects are IQ and feel, and he just has absolutely none of either.

But some people absolutely love him. Confusing.
    You must be looking at a different player, this doesn't describe Rui at all.

You must be looking at a different player, this doesn't describe Rui at all.
    I'm talking about the one who played for Gonzaga. You know, the one who was the second best player on his own team, after Clarke.

I'm talking about the one who played for Gonzaga. You know, the one who was the second best player on his own team, after Clarke.
    Watch his “highlights” and you see how limited his offensive game is. The scary part though is that he doesn’t seem to know what to do in the paint. Lots of ineffective head fakes.

This convo is over because now I know you're just hating. 20ppg 6.5rpg 1.5apg 1spg 59% from the field and 42% from 3 is garbage, you're right I have no idea what people see in him. Defense is abominable?? No IQ? I must have watched more Gonzaga games.

This convo is over because now I know you're just hating. 20ppg 6.5rpg 1.5apg 1spg 59% from the field and 42% from 3 is garbage, you're right I have no idea what people see in him. Defense is abominable?? No IQ? I must have watched more Gonzaga games.
    If your argument essentially boils down to saying ''Oh yeah well, you just didn't watch him enough'', then that pretty much sums up your point.

I don't deny that Rui is a good paint scorer (although again, not as good as Clarke, his teammate). My point was that he's a poor passer, reads the floor poorly, has poor feel for the game, and is a horrible defender. Your counterargument was essentially ''Uhhhhh, 20ppg! No IQ? Nuh-uh!''. Sorry if that doesn't inspire confidence in me.

We need to trade up to get either Morvant or Barrett whatever it takes.

If your argument essentially boils down to saying ''Oh yeah well, you just didn't watch him enough'', then that pretty much sums up your point.

I don't deny that Rui is a good paint scorer (although again, not as good as Clarke, his teammate). My point was that he's a poor passer, reads the floor poorly, has poor feel for the game, and is a horrible defender. Your counterargument was essentially ''Uhhhhh, 20ppg! No IQ? Nuh-uh!''. Sorry if that doesn't inspire confidence in me.
    Not really I'm just trying to figure out if you actually watched anything other than a youtube video to make your assessment.

You said he was below average at basically everything. I supported facts that disprove that. I have watched maybe only 4-5 full games this year but kept up with him as a player and while I'm not saying he is going to lock anyone down in the NBA , i don't believe horrible is justified.

Not really I'm just trying to figure out if you actually watched anything other than a youtube video to make your assessment.

You said he was below average at basically everything. I supported facts that disprove that. I have watched maybe only 4-5 full games this year but kept up with him as a player and while I'm not saying he is going to lock anyone down in the NBA , i don't believe horrible is justified.
    No I didn't. I said he might be the worst passer in the draft, that his defense is extremely bad, and that his feel sucks. All of that is true. He is a good inside scorer, and a decent rebounder.

If I wanted to say he was below average at basically everything, I would say that. But that's not what I wanted to say, so I didn't say it.

I watched about the same number of Gonzaga games as you this year, if you watched about 5, and I'm pretty confident in my evaluation. Hachimura is not worth a top 15 pick, in my opinion, and I think he will prove that in the NBA. If I wanted to draft a Gonzaga player in the top 10, it would definitely be Clarke, who is just a much better basketball player.

So you like Hachimura, Reddish, and Wiggins?

Gotcha.
    Not a fan of any of those. I think Reddish could be good, but the one thing that keeps coming up with him is his motor and whether he wants to put in the work. That is a red flag.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

Thread Information