Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pelicans Exploring Move to Land No. 2 Pick, Draft RJ Barrett

I would possibly move Ingram & 4 to get Barrett. I think he could be a better player or at least comparable to Ingram. So getting RJ on a rookie deal and not having to possibly pay Ingram next offseason could be worth it IMO. He’s for sure got a better NBA body. I like him and Ja about the same, but since we got Ball we don’t need another young point guard. I doubt Memphis would trade the pick for Ball & 4 cause I would do that too to take Ja instead. Ja and Ingram’s bodies are about the same. They almost look alike with same body & hair style.

Well I just read that the Knicks are considering Darius Garland at 3. Man that would be so sick...
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-18-2019 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I would possibly move Ingram & 4 to get Barrett. I think he could be a better player or at least comparable to Ingram. So getting RJ on a rookie deal and not having to possibly pay Ingram next offseason could be worth it IMO. He’s for sure got a better NBA body. I like him and Ja about the same, but since we got Ball we don’t need another young point guard. I doubt Memphis would trade the pick for Ball & 4 cause I would do that too to take Ja instead. Ja and Ingram’s bodies are about the same. They almost look alike with same body & hair style.

Well I just read that the Knicks are considering Darius Garland at 3. Man that would be so sick...
    What I’m missing is how is having RJ better than having Ingram/Garland or Ingram/Culver? You’re losing an asset when it could be argued who has the bigger upside between RJ and Ingram anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans4Real View Post
    What I’m missing is how is having RJ better than having Ingram/Garland or Ingram/Culver? You’re losing an asset when it could be argued who has the bigger upside between RJ and Ingram anyways.
    I mean, at this point in their careers, RJ and Ingram have a lot of the same issues. Both lack defensive awareness and consistency, neither has a real outside shot, neither has fantastic footwork or technique, neither are particularly gifted nor instinctive passers, neither rebound particularly well, etc etc etc. They both have decent handles, drive fairly well, can create their own shot, and show signs of being potentially strong offensive players.

Given that, you probably have to favour RJ over Ingram just because he's younger, but Ingram/Culver is better than just RJ, no doubt in my mind.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I mean, at this point in their careers, RJ and Ingram have a lot of the same issues. Both lack defensive awareness and consistency, neither has a real outside shot, neither has fantastic footwork or technique, neither are particularly gifted nor instinctive passers, neither rebound particularly well, etc etc etc. They both have decent handles, drive fairly well, can create their own shot, and show signs of being potentially strong offensive players.

Given that, you probably have to favour RJ over Ingram just because he's younger, but Ingram/Culver is better than just RJ, no doubt in my mind.
    You put Culver above Garland?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans4Real View Post
    You put Culver above Garland?
    I do, but mainly just for body of work reasons. I can judge Culver relatively well, but Garland only played 5 games before going down for injury and that makes it a lot harder to make real, consistent judgements.

With Culver, I can talk about his defensive ability and versatility, his high level footwork, his ability to create space on drives even when he's not the fastest guy on the court, his finesse, his handles. I can talk about how he's a pretty solid passer, and how his shot has some potential even though it regressed in his second year.

With Garland, I can say he can shoot. That's it: he showed nothing else. His handle, meh. His passing, poor. Defense? Not there yet. Vision? No idea, really. Rebounding, not really. All of it either develops or it doesn't, and we didn't get to see enough of him to be sure. He could be the much better prospect, but we haven't really seen enough to be sure.

I do, but mainly just for body of work reasons. I can judge Culver relatively well, but Garland only played 5 games before going down for injury and that makes it a lot harder to make real, consistent judgements.

With Culver, I can talk about his defensive ability and versatility, his high level footwork, his ability to create space on drives even when he's not the fastest guy on the court, his finesse, his handles. I can talk about how he's a pretty solid passer, and how his shot has some potential even though it regressed in his second year.

With Garland, I can say he can shoot. That's it: he showed nothing else. His handle, meh. His passing, poor. Defense? Not there yet. Vision? No idea, really. Rebounding, not really. All of it either develops or it doesn't, and we didn't get to see enough of him to be sure. He could be the much better prospect, but we haven't really seen enough to be sure.
    All great points

I like Langford better than Garland from what I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Well

Uh

Look again

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Garland’s handle isn’t meh. He needs to learn how to handle (and finish) in traffic better, but his ability to create space and get open looks on his own or off PnR is self evident.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Garland’s handle isn’t meh. He needs to learn how to handle (and finish) in traffic better, but his ability to create space and get open looks on his own or off PnR is self evident.
    When I say handle, meh, what I mean is that it's not stunning. He's not looking like Iverson or Kyrie out there with it.

But it's not bad at all either, it's perfectly competent. So it's meh.

Now that the Grizzlies have Jae Crowder & Grayson Allen I might make a deal with them. I would trade Jrue & 4 for Jae Crowder, Grayson Allen, & 2. I like Jrue, but think Barrett has potential to be a way better player. A young core of Zion, Ingram, Barrett, & Ball would be extremely fun to watch. Then hopefully a good center falls to us at 39 to compete with Okafor.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    That Laurie Markannen sure is a.....Finisher.

*The Who scream as I put on my sunglasses
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

RJ Barrett makes sense at #3 but the Knicks will Knicks. Perhaps they are considering a trade down but if they pass on Barrett there will be pandemonium.

Quote Originally Posted by 60minutes View Post

RJ Barrett makes sense at #3 but the Knicks will Knicks. Perhaps they are considering a trade down but if they pass on Barrett there will be pandemonium.
    btw how do you link these twitter posts..helpppp

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    btw how do you link these twitter posts..helpppp
    Every tweet has a small arrow in the top right corner. Click it and choose embed. Then copy the entire text string in the box. Then come here and paste it.

Quote Originally Posted by 60minutes View Post

They may be checking this guys out just in case we do get the 2nd pick and take Barrett in front of them. Most likely doing homework on additional prospects just in case.

When I say handle, meh, what I mean is that it's not stunning. He's not looking like Iverson or Kyrie out there with it.

But it's not bad at all either, it's perfectly competent. So it's meh.
    So anyone who doesn’t have as good of handles and iverson or kyrie has meh handles?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post

Unless we can bring in Turner, the only other option I see is the trade with the Wolves. #4 and Hill for Covington, Saric, and the 11th pick.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post

Bruh. Toss one over this way, Indy.

Quote: Bruh. Toss one over this way, Indy.

Do you mean Myles Turner?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PelDave View Post
    Quote: Bruh. Toss one over this way, Indy.

Do you mean Myles Turner?
    Yes. Or Sabonis.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Yes. Or Sabonis.
    Either work for me.

Thread Information