Pelicans Report

Thread: Pels picking up Gentry's Option

Pels picking up Gentry's Option

Not particularly surprising, but I can't say I'm thrilled.

Oh well. Not a big deal.
    Basketball.

I'm only slightly triggered...I was hoping that he get promoted to front office.

He did Doctor Strange'd us to the Lotto with the timeout and coin toss.
    Last edited by Taker597; 06-17-2019 at 07:19 PM.

I’m wanted him fired last season. He has impressed me however this offseason for convincing Griff to go after Hart&Ball

I'm a Dell and Gentry supporter.

I love Griffin. So that's not hating on him. Fortunes were bad for so long something needed to change. But the failures were always due to factors outside of their control.

I'm cool with this.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I'm pretty sure the entire organization felt indebted to Gentry for how he handled the AD situation. He's earned a couple years with a new team.

Besides, if anyone is going to turn Lonzo into an All Star it would be Gentry.

He will make the young guys enjoy the NBA. Hopefully the organization has made it clear that he needs to spread the minutes out a bit. He drove me mad when he decided to waste so many minutes on pointless players. There should be a good coach waiting in the wings if we take the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm pretty sure the entire organization felt indebted to Gentry for how he handled the AD situation. He's earned a couple years with a new team.

Besides, if anyone is going to turn Lonzo into an All Star it would be Gentry.
    I agree. Gentry is the perfect guy for Lonzo.

So the rebuild will last at least 2 years.

I don’t see ya winning enough to make the playoffs, but if we are lucky we can land a top 10 lottery pick next year.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

I don’t see ya winning enough to make the playoffs, but if we are lucky we can land a top 10 lottery pick next year.
    That's probably happening. I feel like this team, as currently constructed, is probably a 35-38 win team. That's lottery, and as the Lakers found out, even late lottery can turn into top 10 pretty quickly with the new system.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

LaMelo Ball might be available!

Basketball Guru
    this should end all of the lonzo trade talk on the board....lonzo is gentry general...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That's probably happening. I feel like this team, as currently constructed, is probably a 35-38 win team. That's lottery, and as the Lakers found out, even late lottery can turn into top 10 pretty quickly with the new system.
    Makes protected picks extra sketchy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Makes protected picks extra sketchy now.
    Makes top 8 reverse protected picks pretty clever though.

Griiiiiiiiiff

An interesting take is that other teams WILL blow up. We won't. So. The league feels wide open now. That means even middle tier teams will have delusions of grandeur. So trades may be hard to come by from now until midseason. When midseason hits and some teams realize they aren't going to make it, lots will start blow it up or go all out tank. We will be letting our young guys continue to roll. Makes me think we will be 9th or 10 in the West. Maybe even snake into the 8th seed.

Basketball Guru
    im with you on that...i think we are 38-40 win team....

let the younguns play this season out and see what we have then use the assets to shake things up to put a better team together...

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    An interesting take is that other teams WILL blow up. We won't. So. The league feels wide open now. That means even middle tier teams will have delusions of grandeur. So trades may be hard to come by from now until midseason. When midseason hits and some teams realize they aren't going to make it, lots will start blow it up or go all out tank. We will be letting our young guys continue to roll. Makes me think we will be 9th or 10 in the West. Maybe even snake into the 8th seed.
    That's possible. I think it's dependent on where free agents go, as well. If Randle goes to Phoenix and they can sign, say, Patrick Beverley (rumours are that PatBev isn't necessarily resigning, he's taking interviews with other teams) then they may be a playoff team. Pat Bev, Booker, Warren, Randle, Ayton, is a pretty good lineup at least offensively. Would leak points like a sieve but still.

If Kawhi does come down to LAC as well, that pretty much secures them as a playoff team. Denver are probably still in the running. Does Houston blow it up, or do they keep everything together one last time?

We could sneak in at 8th seed, but we could easily be 11th seed as well without too much trouble.

This makes me feel good. So much Alvin hate. The guy asked for his name to stop being announced because of the booing. Classy human who deserves this.

That's possible. I think it's dependent on where free agents go, as well. If Randle goes to Phoenix and they can sign, say, Patrick Beverley (rumours are that PatBev isn't necessarily resigning, he's taking interviews with other teams) then they may be a playoff team. Pat Bev, Booker, Warren, Randle, Ayton, is a pretty good lineup at least offensively. Would leak points like a sieve but still.

If Kawhi does come down to LAC as well, that pretty much secures them as a playoff team. Denver are probably still in the running. Does Houston blow it up, or do they keep everything together one last time?

We could sneak in at 8th seed, but we could easily be 11th seed as well without too much trouble.
    True.

Plus, if a Western conference team like Memphis lucks out and drafts Naz Reid......well.....that's automatic top 3 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    True.

Plus, if a Western conference team like Memphis lucks out and drafts Naz Reid......well.....that's automatic top 3 seed.
    Naz ''Shaquille O'Neal'' Reid, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    This makes me feel good. So much Alvin hate. The guy asked for his name to stop being announced because of the booing. Classy human who deserves this.
    Fletcher was right

Makes top 8 reverse protected picks pretty clever though.

Griiiiiiiiiff
    Reverse protection still blows my mind. It's Griffin flat out told Rob to his face that we think you guys are gonna suck in 2021, but if that's not good enough. We go all in Lebron at 38. Lol

Reverse protection still blows my mind. It's Griffin flat out told Rob to his face that we think you guys are gonna suck in 2021, but if that's not good enough. We go all in Lebron at 38. Lol
    Yep, and because of the reverse protection combined with the new lottery rules, he's basically telling LA that if they miss the playoffs by even one win in 2021, they could lose a top 8 pick. And if they make the lottery and manage to squeak out at #9 or something, keeping their own pick, then we are guaranteed their pick in the 2022 double draft.

It's an absolute robbery of a protection combo, there.

Edit: remember, this also limits the Lakers ability to make additional trades to add to their team. They have no young pieces anymore outside of Kuzma, who they obviously don't wanna move, and they have no draft picks for years and years. If they can't add in free agency, they aren't adding at all.

Good for Gentry. Think this a cosmetic move just to make sure it doesn't look like it's a lame duck season. If he vastly underperforms this season, I don't think Gayle and Griff will hesitate to "coax" your boy into retirement or a front office role.

I think it's mostly that we want the pick in '22 for the double draft, but if it happens to be a good pick we'll take it a year earlier. I don't think it's a commentary on how good/bad we think the Lakers will be.

Thread Information