Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Scouting Vids By ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I agree that he needs to gain weight. Exactly how much, I can't be sure until we see how his frame holds weight, and with his height at some point extra weight becomes a liability. But I'd bet he needs to put on at least 25lbs before he starts looking reasonable.

His skillset is crazy. His shot isn't a fluke. It's true that he shot over 50% from three in college, and that won't happen in the NBA, sure. But his stroke is legitimate, the release is fairly quick for a guy of his height (and it's obviously way too high for many to contest properly), and his touch is extremely soft. For a 7 footer, his dribble moves and handles are pretty good, and in a straight line he can even bring the ball up the court. His feet aren't as slow as some people claim, but they ARE slow, so he has some trouble guarding on the perimeter but his 7'8 wingspan helps compensate a little there.

Something that doesn't get mentioned about him often enough is that he's actually a pretty skilled cutter, off-ball, and he's a fairly solid passer for a guy of his size as well. He's no Pau Gasol or Nikola Jokic, but he's not a black hole either, especially when he catches the ball above the arc.

The upside is insane. If he can stay healthy, put on some decent weight, and improve his perimeter D to even mediocre levels, we're talking about a player of ridiculous upside. It's just a shame that that health issue IS a real threat, and his perimeter defense instincts ARE poor, and with his height his ability to keep up with guards and set screens is limited.

At #4? Nah, I'd pass, the risk is too high. At #14? or even #10, depending on the team? That could be a top tier steal.
    Couldn't have said it better. He could be literally the best player to play next to Zion and he could also quite possibly never play more than 30 NBA games in his career. Too big a risk att 4, but if we trade down I would love to take that swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Couldn't have said it better. He could be literally the best player to play next to Zion and he could also quite possibly never play more than 30 NBA games in his career. Too big a risk att 4, but if we trade down I would love to take that swing.
    For real, his fit with Zion would be fantastic. Lengthy, rim protecting big who can stretch the floor on offense and get out of his way in the paint. And he'd be cheap, and fit the timeline perfectly.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar

Thread Information