Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Brandon Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    if thats the case then the same can be said about beal right?...i mean. beal put up numbers on a bad team also.....so what gives?....
    Where did I say anything about a bad team? Efficiency doesn't give a crap about whether you're on a bad team or not.

And just for comparison Beal shot 54.8% from 2pt and 35.1% from 3pt both better than Ingram on WAY more attempts per game.

I don’t care what the haters say, Ingram will be a beast for us. He had to play the 2 a lot with LeBron, Kuzma, & McGee on the floor. He can play there if needed IMO.

He’s got great height for the 3 spot. Last year he shot close to 50% from the field at 49.7% which was better than Kawhi & George who are two of best at his position. Hell it was better than Curry & Thompson, two of the best shooters in the league. I know he didn’t play a full season, but 52 games is still a huge sample size. The year before without LeBron he shot 39% from 3 which isn’t that bad. He’s still very, very young and usually a player’s shot gets better as they age. A change of scenery could do wonders for him cause maybe he wasn’t ready for the bright lights of LA as a 19-21 year old. It took Kobe 3 years to get over 20 point per game in LA. He was very similar to Ingram in his first two years there at the same age being a WAY better overall player.

I liked him a lot coming out of Duke, he’s only played 3 years, he’s just started being aloud to go to a bar for crying out loud, and he’s got a intriguing skill set. I think he will eventually be a good #2 in a big 3 situation. A Zion, Ingram, Jrue, & Ball core will be damn good IMO. A Jrue & Ball backcourt could be the best defensive backcourt in the league.

So glad we didn’t acquire Kuzma unless we were gonna move him. He’s built more like a small forward, but doesn’t shoot it well enough to play there. Ingram & Ball had nearly as many boards per game as he did. I much rather a better rebounder backing up Zion at the 4.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-17-2019 at 10:54 PM.

No. People need to stop this BS lie about how good Ingram's FG% is. Now people are claiming he shot better than Leonard. NO! Leonard shot 54.2% from 2pt and 37.1% from 3pt. BOTH are better than Ingram. The difference is Leonard actually takes a decent number of 3pt shots compared to Ingram who is almost like a PF or center where the large large majority of his shots are 2pt. Fg% is irrelevant without context, that's why you should look at individual shooting or TS%, where Leonard destroys Ingram.

PG shoots nearly as many 3pt shots as 2pt shots. Of course his FG% is lower than someone who basically only shoots 2pters. Again, look at TS% where he is multiple % higher than Ingram.

And claiming he's a better shooter than Steph and Klay????? HAHA. Just stop.

McGee shot 62% from FG%. That's blows Ingram out the water but is McGee the best shooter in the league? No of course not.

People need to stop being fake news with Ingram. You want to be excited with potential for him? Sure, go ahead. But stop trying to say he's some superstar SF because the facts don't back up that he's been anything other than mediocre so far.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 06-18-2019 at 07:19 AM.

Brandon Ingram has Rudy Gay like potential. Doesn't do anything great, puts up nice stats, but doesn't make the team better in the process. He has star potential, but not superstar potential.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No. People need to stop this BS lie about how good Ingram's FG% is. Now people are claiming he shot better than Leonard. NO! Leonard shot 54.2% from 2pt and 37.1% from 3pt. BOTH are better than Ingram. The difference is Leonard actually takes a decent number of 3pt shots compared to Ingram who is almost like a PF or center where the large large majority of his shots are 2pt. Fg% is irrelevant without context, that's why you should look at individual shooting or TS%, where Leonard destroys Ingram.

PG shoots nearly as many 3pt shots as 2pt shots. Of course his FG% is lower than someone who basically only shoots 2pters. Again, look at TS% where he is multiple % higher than Ingram.

And claiming he's a better shooter than Steph and Klay????? HAHA. Just stop.

McGee shot 62% from FG%. That's blows Ingram out the water but is McGee the best shooter in the league? No of course not.

People need to stop being fake news with Ingram. You want to be excited with potential for him? Sure, go ahead. But stop trying to say he's some superstar SF because the facts don't back up that he's been anything other than mediocre so far.
    To be fair, he is a good shooter nonetheless. Got to give the guy some credit. After doing some reading it seems like that blood clot injury may be a thing of the past and with time on the floor he may really shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    To be fair, he is a good shooter nonetheless. Got to give the guy some credit. After doing some reading it seems like that blood clot injury may be a thing of the past and with time on the floor he may really shine.
    That's a big difference than saying he is an ELITE shooter like some are claiming or that he is a better shooter than Kawhi, PG, Steph, and Klay.

He is an average to slightly above average 2pt shooter and a poor 3pt shooter. These are the facts.

Now if someone wants to believe "he may really shine" that's cool. I'm not saying he can't. But what I am saying is his numbers so far do not indicate he is some elite shooter yet.

I think the thing that is interesting about BI is his field goal attempts and average have gone up year over year so with now being healthy and rested with an exciting new team he should be one to watch. I'm excited to see how he does.

No one said he’s an elite shooter. And I didn’t lie saying he had a better field goal % than all those guys I mentioned. Just cause he didn’t take as many shots doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Shooting close to 50% on 729 shots is pretty damn good in my book however you want to slice it. If it doesn’t mean anything then why do they even record FG% and use it as a big time stat when evaluating players. That was better than Kawhi shot in 2014 when he took 822 shots. Kawhi has also played in way more games and wasn’t a 19 year old rookie. You have to take his playing in LA at a very young age into consideration.

He has the length and his shot is decent. Will never be KD but he can get close hopefully.

I think he can be a good player. I think best case scenario is Rudy Gay.

I think he is young enough, and has never played in a good enough system, so my hopes are still Teyshaun Prince. Prince was a stud, and the most underrated member of those Pistons teams. He could be the 3rd on a Big 3 if given proper coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    No one said he’s an elite shooter.
    Oh really! No one????

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Shooting 50% FG for a wing is elite not just good..
    ---------------

We need to stop with all this BS on Ingram. Kawhi shot better from 2pt abs better from 3pt than Ingram but because he took more 3pt shots than Ingram did... Ingram's over fg is high even though Kawhi was better from both areas. LOOK AT BOTH shooting % instead of just trying to pretend he's a better shooter than Kawhi, Klay, Curry, or anyone else.

Jrue Holiday shot better from 2pt and 3pt than him. Ingram is an average to slightly above average 2pt shooter who is bad from 3pt. If all we want to look at is FG% then go be a fan of McGee because he destroys Ingram in FG%.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 06-18-2019 at 01:00 PM.

All these back and forths on Ingram....I don't see the point. There shouldn't be a lot of disagreement on what he is now. he is a useful player in spots in the right situation and can (sorta) get his own shot/create his own offense which is an in demand skill, but he's not a great asset. The question is- can he get better?

his trade value is so low and other teams think so little of him that Im not sure trading him is the best option. We aren't going to get a lot. I'd move him as part of a package for a truly plus player who is still young(like a beal). I wouldn't move him for crap just to move him, because he may contribute a lot next year.

I think we need to understand as a franchise that the Ball and Ingram 'assets' may not be worth a lot....they may play for us a year(ingram) or two(ball) and give us what they give us, but barring major improvement I don't think they are building blocks for our future and I don't think they are assets we can use to get other good stuff.

Which is ok....they are here so let's just see. I just don't view it as a big loss if they don't improve much. Again, the celts offer just didn't materialize. We didn't say "oh I'm taking these guys over Tatum and Brown and the Memphis pick and other stuff because I think they are going to be really good for us". We took them because the celts offer never was going to materialize it looks like....so we really cant complain if they aren't big difference makers.

Kinda like with the lakers picks down the line, Im looking at it like if they are better players than I think, great. if not, no worries

Quote Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
    All these back and forths on Ingram....I don't see the point. There shouldn't be a lot of disagreement on what he is now. he is a useful player in spots in the right situation and can (sorta) get his own shot/create his own offense which is an in demand skill, but he's not a great asset. The question is- can he get better?
    I think this is a very fair assessment of Ingram. It's a shame that so many people like to act like Ingram is already some amazing SF instead of the reality which is, he's been a disappointment so far but has potential to grow and improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I think this is a very fair assessment of Ingram. It's a shame that so many people like to act like Ingram is already some amazing SF instead of the reality which is, he's been a disappointment so far but has potential to grow and improve.
    Yep, I'll take that as a fair assessment. Disappointment as of this point in his career, has a couple of skills and a lot of holes in his game, but could always improve (even if it's unlikely in certain areas). As long as he's on this franchise, my fingers are crossed that he can develop.
    Basketball.

The thing is that right now Ingram is better than anyone else we’ve had at the 3 for quite some time. He is an upgrade on this team no doubt. Folks should remember that when discussing him.

I would prefer going into next season as him being our starting 3 instead of Solo, Stanley, Miller or Moore, and even Williams. Unless the Pels have a plan to bring in a better quality SF, I would prefer Ingram staying put in NO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Let's just also point out that Ingram is only 21 and every year he's gotten statistically better. He needs to be better at his 3s and free throws, but he's a good slasher, deadly from mid range. There really is nothing to worry about with him.

If/when we trade this #4 pick, I don't want any of the players we acquired to be involved. Plus, Ingram is a low key dude, and LA was not his scene from what I read. He hated it on the Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Let's just also point out that Ingram is only 21 and every year he's gotten statistically better. .
    Please can we not point this out, because it isn't true. He got worse in every statistical category this year except points: fewer rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks. More fouls (only by .1 per game, but still).

He shot worse from three this year than last, on the same number of attempts.
    Worse from the free throw line.
    His PER dropped.
    His net rating got worse.
    His VORP got worse.
    His BPM got worse.
    His WS/48 got worse.

It's fine if you wanna be optimistic about him. Sure. I hope he gets better too. But let's not pretend he's just been on an upwards ascent since entering the league: he got worse last year, not better. That could be due to Lebron, could be due to general Lakers chaos, could be due to a lot of things, but he has not gotten ''statistically better'' every year.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Let's just also point out that Ingram is only 21 and every year he's gotten statistically better. He needs to be better at his 3s and free throws, but he's a good slasher, deadly from mid range. There really is nothing to worry about with him.

If/when we trade this #4 pick, I don't want any of the players we acquired to be involved. Plus, Ingram is a low key dude, and LA was not his scene from what I read. He hated it on the Lakers.
    Um... Ingram is not deadly from midrange. On all 2pt shots outside of 10ft from the goal Ingram shot 44%. That is decidedly NOT deadly.... At all.

I’m looking forward to seeing Ingram in a positive environment, think he will improve

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I’m looking forward to seeing Ingram in a positive environment, think he will improve
    Hope you're right

He really just needs to add some weight and get stronger still. Basketball is all about having a strong core. It affects your ability to accurately shoot game in and game out against full grown men. The dude is SKINNY.

It took AD about 3.5 years to not be a bean pole (something lots of people forget---he still falls down a lot). Hopefully Brandon adds some pounds and muscle this year.

Thread Information