Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    That's what I figured. My understanding is Basketball Refrenxe shouldn't be trusted for positional information since they base it simply off of who's on court instead of actually where the person is playing on the court.

Some of those SG minutes could have actually been SF minutes if the Lakers went with a lineup of McGee, Kuzma, Ingram, LBJ, Lonzo where LBJ actually played point and Lonzo shooting guard or vice versa.

I wouldn't put much trust in any of splits they have for SG vs SF. Now the pre and post All Star Break stuff, sure, but the positional stuff, nah.
    Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I was doing some research and I learned Brandon Ingram played a much larger portion of games this year actually at SG because of Lebron. He actually played 32 games at SG, but in his slightly limited games where he started at SF, 20 games that is, he was much better, and his rebound numbers went up, so maybe his problem isnt that he is a bad rebounder, maybe its because where he was playing.

When at SF: 20.2 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 3.7 APG, 53.4 FG%

Also after the all star break when everything clicked and was allowed to play at SF: 27.8 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 2.5 APG, 57% field goal percentage.

He also did all this while playing in a dumpster fire for a team he hated playing for.

If healthy I wouldn't be surprised if he put up a 22-6-4 season next year.
    sure he could. But the question will it be a really impactful 22-6-4? How efficient will he be? Will he make others better?

I hope we are good next year....we can be I think. If we are, I don't want ingram bogging that down with endless isos.

Well it needs to be pointed out that even with all his flaws, Ingram is still a significant upgrade over anything we had last year at the 3. I’ll take that.

Same with Ball, considering that he is currently the only true point guard on our team as of today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though I’m a bit disappointed with the players we got, I’m glad he and Hart want to be here. They both seem like stand up guys and hopefully Ingram’s struggles were a product of the environment and not something he can’t fix. I think so many young players fail to make an impression because of toxic situations, and you can’t get an easier ride than New Orleans. The fans love their players to a fault.

And also, glad we didn’t add Kuzma. Not really the asset ppl think he is

Quote Originally Posted by Erose View Post
    Well it needs to be pointed out that even with all his flaws, Ingram is still a significant upgrade over anything we had last year at the 3. I’ll take that.

Same with Ball, considering that he is currently the only true point guard on our team as of today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s true.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it."
    - el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz

Good to see you posting on a Pels board again Guru. I'm personally of the believe that Ingram was reaply hitting his stride towards the end of the season past year. I expect him and Lonzo to find much more success outside of LA. It's a fresh start for both and they both needed one.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Good to see you posting on a Pels board again Guru. I'm personally of the believe that Ingram was reaply hitting his stride towards the end of the season past year. I expect him and Lonzo to find much more success outside of LA. It's a fresh start for both and they both needed one.
    Shreve my man! Hope you’re doing well! And I agree, I don’t think the numbers he put up were a fluke, I believed he put in the hard work and things clicked and he will continue to improve

We're asking free agents to give the Pelicans a fresh start after all of our recent Front Office moves. The least we can do is the same for our players.

The more I look at it the more I like Ball and Ingram. I think they are perfect compliments to what we have in Jrue and Zion. This team is built for the future with lottery picks as lagniappe.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    After allstar break, for the span of 11 games, he averaged pretty good numbers.

He didn't do that because he was playing SF. He did that because without Lebron, his usage rate shot through the roof. He was their number one offensive option.

Don't tell me you've never heard the phrase ''big numbers on a bad team''?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Might Ingram improve? Sure. In fact, in some ways, very PROBABLY.

Should we be using the 11 game stretch at the end of last season as a sure-fire sign that he's gonna be a star? Of course not.
    You think 11 games last season boosted his numbers that much? He had a good year regardless and has gotten better with every passing season. That is what you like to see when someone hasn't peaked yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    You think 11 games last season boosted his numbers that much? He had a good year regardless and has gotten better with every passing season. That is what you like to see when someone hasn't peaked yet.
    Since there’s no like button

Fuz liked this post
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

YOU can't judge any player's ability playing on a lebron team. That dude dominates the ball and turns everybody on the floor into a "stand and watch" guy.

I wanna see what these guys can do in gentry's system.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    That's not what I said

I said that time period everyone is talking about, where he averaged 27 points and stuff, was an 11 game stretch.

His season averages are nothing like that. He averaged 18 points on the season.

Nothing about 11 games boosting his numbers. At the same time, he has not ''gotten better with every passing season''. His rebounding and assist numbers actually dropped, he was fouling more, he shot worse from three, his net rating declined, etc etc. You can argue that that's cause he was playing with Lebron, and there's probably SOME truth to that, but it's just not true to say he's gotten better every year. His numbers have dropped noticeably.
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    That's not what I said

I said that time period everyone is talking about, where he averaged 27 points and stuff, was an 11 game stretch.

His season averages are nothing like that. He averaged 18 points on the season.

Nothing about 11 games boosting his numbers. At the same time, he has not ''gotten better with every passing season''. His rebounding and assist numbers actually dropped, he was fouling more, he shot worse from three, his net rating declined, etc etc. You can argue that that's cause he was playing with Lebron, and there's probably SOME truth to that, but it's just not true to say he's gotten better every year. His numbers have dropped noticeably.

i think every one on the board will agree with what im going to say.......18pts a game is a hell of a upgrade at the SF position over what we had for years there...

as of right now, ingram is family so let the guy play in a pelican uniform first and prove you right about the the petty nit picking you doing....if he prove you right during the season then light the board up with i told yall so because then it would be welcome......

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i think every one on the board will agree with what im going to say.......18pts a game is a hell of a upgrade at the SF position over what we had for years there...

as of right now, ingram is family so let the guy play in a pelican uniform first and prove you right about the the petty nit picking you doing....if he prove you right during the season then light the board up with i told yall so because then it would be welcome......
    The amount of points scored is 100% irrelevant. It's about how efficient those points were scored that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    YOU can't judge any player's ability playing on a lebron team. That dude dominates the ball and turns everybody on the floor into a "stand and watch" guy.

I wanna see what these guys can do in gentry's system.
    Exactly what I have been saying. Ingram thrived when they finally realized to stop using him as if he was Mike Miller playing with Lebron. The funny thing is people act like he has been trash which simply is not the case. He has been very good so far to start his career. I expect him to continue developing into the star player he was drafted to be and many experts believe he will be.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post

Ingram can turn into MJ and this guys ego won’t let him say he was wrong.. Julius Randle would have career nights and because of his previous hate he just couldn’t accept that anything was good enough. Im not even a big Randle fan and someone I don’t want to resign but it’s pretty easy to see the guy had a hell of a year and some great games here. I’m telling you now no matter what Ingram does it won’t be enough. I’m not saying Ingram will be KD but I do think we will have one of the best SFs in the league and in a couple of years in that tier below KD but above Jimmy Butler. IMO Ingram is going to be very similar talent and skill set wise as Paul George..
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 06-17-2019 at 03:05 PM.

The amount of points scored is 100% irrelevant. It's about how efficient those points were scored that matters.
    That's my view.

Just putting up 18 points is good on paper, but doesn't actually translate to success. We have so many guys who play inside now, that in order for one person to get the shot at the rim, you're by definition taking it away from somebody else. On our team, Ingram's 18 points are going to come at the expense of Zion and Jrue, UNLESS he is able to develop a jumper that allows his game to compliment theirs.

And is he an effective three point shooter? No, not at all. Could he become one? I don't know. I hope so. But thus far in his career, he hasn't been.

I'll eat my crow. I was one of the biggest detractors when it came to trading with the Lakers. It happened, and now we have Ball, Ingram, Hart, and a slew of picks for the next 5-7 years. I try to stay positive and say that everyone deserves a chance, and who knows, maybe Ingram and Ball take a step forward next year with Zion. Then we can be a good team for a long time.

LoL he sjot 50% from the field! How much more efficient does it get for a SF? Go find me a handful of players who aren’t bigs that shoot 50% FG.. I’ll wait.. He did this at 21 in a terrible situation as well.. Shooting 50% FG for a wing is elite not just good..

That's my view.

Just putting up 18 points is good on paper, but doesn't actually translate to success. We have so many guys who play inside now, that in order for one person to get the shot at the rim, you're by definition taking it away from somebody else. On our team, Ingram's 18 points are going to come at the expense of Zion and Jrue, UNLESS he is able to develop a jumper that allows his game to compliment theirs.

And is he an effective three point shooter? No, not at all. Could he become one? I don't know. I hope so. But thus far in his career, he hasn't been.
    Lmao!! Now this is going to be your excuse everytime Ingram has a big game scoring is he took away from Jrue and Zion.. what a joke!!

Dude doesn’t know what he’s talking about Ingram is gonna be a beast and we need to keep Jrue Lonzo and Ingram

Basketball Guru
    if thats the case then the same can be said about beal right?...i mean. beal put up numbers on a bad team also.....so what gives?....

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    LoL he sjot 50% from the field! How much more efficient does it get for a SF? Go find me a handful of players who aren’t bigs that shoot 50% FG.. I’ll wait.. He did this at 21 in a terrible situation as well.. Shooting 50% FG for a wing is elite not just good..
    50% from the field sounds nice until you realize out of his 14 shot attempts a game, 12.2 came from 2pt range. He shot 52.1% from 2pt last year....

For reference Jrue holiday shot 53.9% from 2pt. Frank Jackson shot 50.7%. World beater Tim Frazier shot 51.7%. Moore 50.6%.

On the Lakers team (all non bigs) KCP, Reggie Bullock, Beasley all shot better from 2pt than Ingram. Wagner and Hart were within 1% of him.

So are all these guys ELITE? Or are you just wrong?

Thread Information