Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Ingram

Brandon Ingram

I was doing some research and I learned Brandon Ingram played a much larger portion of games this year actually at SG because of Lebron. He actually played 32 games at SG, but in his slightly limited games where he started at SF, 20 games that is, he was much better, and his rebound numbers went up, so maybe his problem isnt that he is a bad rebounder, maybe its because where he was playing.

When at SF: 20.2 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 3.7 APG, 53.4 FG%

Also after the all star break when everything clicked and was allowed to play at SF: 27.8 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 2.5 APG, 57% field goal percentage.

He also did all this while playing in a dumpster fire for a team he hated playing for.

If healthy I wouldn't be surprised if he put up a 22-6-4 season next year.

After allstar break, for the span of 11 games, he averaged pretty good numbers.

He didn't do that because he was playing SF. He did that because without Lebron, his usage rate shot through the roof. He was their number one offensive option.

Don't tell me you've never heard the phrase ''big numbers on a bad team''?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Might Ingram improve? Sure. In fact, in some ways, very PROBABLY.

Should we be using the 11 game stretch at the end of last season as a sure-fire sign that he's gonna be a star? Of course not.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    I think he has potential but consistently he has yet to show being anything besides average maybe 18-20 ppg at best, which is great and way better than Julian Wright. Could he be better? Yeah and I hope so. And there is also the health concerns but hopefully, the new training staff helps with that if possible.
    Last edited by wuggie; 06-16-2019 at 06:22 PM.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

He didn't do that because he was playing SF. He did that because without Lebron, his usage rate shot through the roof. He was their number one offensive option.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Might Ingram improve? Sure. In fact, in some ways, very PROBABLY.

Should we be using the 11 game stretch at the end of last season as a sure-fire sign that he's gonna be a star? Of course not.
    Get over it!

This is understandable and I would agree IF ingram would have been shooting a low percentage and just chucking shots, but he was routinely drawing the other teams best defender AND shooting a very high percentage. It's a good sign.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I think it can work the other way too. How many players never had an 11 game stretch like Brandon Ingram ion their whole career? Let alone at a young age for a team he hated.

I still feel Ingram is an inefficent beanpole who doesn't rebound like a 6'9" player with 7'3" wingspan should, but I can see him becoming something considerable in a better offensive scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I think it can work the other way too. How many players never had an 11 game stretch like Brandon Ingram ion their whole career? Let alone at a young age for a team he hated.

I still feel Ingram is an inefficent beanpole who doesn't rebound like a 6'9" player with 7'3" wingspan should, but I can see him becoming something considerable in a better offensive scheme.
    For sure, I'm not saying he's doomed to suck. He's not. He can improve. It's possible. I HOPE he does. I've said maybe 35 times now that I hope he comes here, and if he stays, he proves me wrong.

I'm just saying to brush all the concerns off the table and point to an 11 game stretch in a dead year where he was the only real offensive option and say ''A-ha! look, he's a star!'' is kind of being short sighted.

Just curious where are you getting the position information fdom

For sure, I'm not saying he's doomed to suck. He's not. He can improve. It's possible. I HOPE he does. I've said maybe 35 times now that I hope he comes here, and if he stays, he proves me wrong.

I'm just saying to brush all the concerns off the table and point to an 11 game stretch in a dead year where he was the only real offensive option and say ''A-ha! look, he's a star!'' is kind of being short sighted.
    See my post, he shot a very high percentage during both his time at SF and post all star break, hell he shot a high percentage all year, he’s a very good finisher

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Just curious where are you getting the position information fdom
    Basketball reference

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    See my post, he shot a very high percentage during both his time at SF and post all star break, hell he shot a high percentage all year, he’s a very good finisher
    Nobody disputes that he's relatively efficient inside. His issues are his three point shooting, his passing IQ, his lack of strength, his mediocre handle, his bad free throw shooting, his slow lateral quickness, his horrible defense, and his ability to move off ball.

Some of those are doomed, sure. He's not gonna get much quicker, laterally: he just isn't built for it. IQ also can't be taught, and if he doesn't have it, he may never have it.

The things he can work on and improve are FT shooting, 3pt shooting, his handle, and effort (both moving off ball, and on D). He can improve those. The question is just whether he will or not. It's discouraging that he's 3 years into his career and hasn't really made big leaps in any of those categories. That's not a good sign, in terms of work ethic. But hopefully you guys are right that being in a new environment will help, and he'll put the work in to fix those holes in his game.

But they are holes in his game that have to be discussed. You can't just close your eyes and hope they'll go away if you ignore them.

While "big numbers on a bad team" is true. It is also known that LeBron kills the stats of the people that he plays with. So the numbers he put up after the all-star break really could go either way depending on what cliché we want to use.

It will be fun to see him play.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

The next KD.

...Only because I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    While "big numbers on a bad team" is true. It is also known that LeBron kills the stats of the people that he plays with. So the numbers he put up after the all-star break really could go either way depending on what cliché we want to use.

It will be fun to see him play.
    Good point

I mentioned a lot of this previously but it was ignored. Much of last season he was misused and put in a corner waiting on a pass from Lebron with the shot clock draining out forcing up a bad shot. When they finally decided to run a system that moved the ball and put Ingram in some iso situations to create for himself and others he absolutely thrived. You don’t have to just look at last season for this but go to the season before Lebron. Luke Walton decided to use Ingram more as a point forward turning him into a triple double threat nightly. Ingram in year 2 pre Lebron averaged 16 ppg/5 rpg/4 apg on 47% FG and a very good 39% from 3pt. What more can you ask from a 19/20 y/o kid who hasn’t even grown into his body yet? That is one hell of a year for a vet much less 20 y/o kid.. This season his 3pt was down at 33% and watching every game this largely had to do with how he was used and getting used to Lebron. He was on the floor with a bunch of ball dominant players on short contracts looking out for themselves while all trying to adapt to Lebron and deal with the media noise 24/7.. Of course Ingram deserves some blame and needs to work on his ******** but you can take it to the bank one he develops for another season and sign his big deal this kid will be shooting 50%FG/40%3pt/75%+FT. He still managed to average 18ppg while shooting 50% from FG which is incredible for a wing and something the best in the NBA haven’t done and very few have in their careers who are currently in the league.. He did this in just his 3rd season on one of the most dysfunctional teams in NBA history..

I think he will have such a better scenario here giving him the shot to reach is full potential. From the from office, to the players, and the media this situation couldn’t be a better scenario for him to come into maybe in the entire NBA.. Our roster looks to compliment his game perfectly unlike in LA that was almost built to do the opposite of complimenting his game along with the many other players there.. He is said to be a gym rat basically living at the facility.. He is now somewhere that he can just concentrate on basketball without all of the outside noise that comes with the Lakers and will have state of the art facilities every bit as good if not better then the Lakers.. He now has the luxury of having the best and most innovative training staff in the league helping him transform his body and stay healthy..

He has shown he can average for a full season and be a 20 ppg scorer putting up 50% FG and 40% from 3pt but just has to put it all together.. That’s usually what young talented players start to do as you see them turn into the stars they are today with their game evolving into a star!! Just like all of the other greats he simply needs to continue developing his game and becoming the best Brandon Ingram.

There are only 2 SFs in Lebron and Durant in the entire NBA you can clearly say were better players then Ingram at the same point in their careers. He is further along in his path to being a star then just about every single star/superstar wing or any position in the NBA. Also people around here love to use length as a huge trait and positive while ignoring not only does Ingram have great length but elite length that rivals Giannis with near identical measurables. As he adds more strength his defensive game has all NBA ability as well. Fans should be very excited we have landed a 21 y/o SF with elite length that can flat out score the ball and has the ability to play point forward at times where I can see Gentry using him as a facilitator similarly to Dray/Iggy in GS. We got ourselves a good one! The few Ingram haters will go pull whatever stat out of their “hat” they can find to try and someway discredit how good he has been at such a young age and currently just 21 years old. I trust Griffin and Langdon are no fools knowing the path this talent is headed on.

I promise you give it up. You have a couple who have triple downed so hard on Ingram they are pray like a heavens we trade him. If not they will enjoy him turning into a star but not fully and always have something to complain about. It will be similar to Julius Randle but Ingram will be a much better player on a winning team. Nothing from him will be enough. I for one have never used his one stretch to judge him but have used his overall play since he has entered. That stretch just showed how good he can actually be when used right. Gentry and Walton are good friends that I’m sure will be communicating to trade some tips on how to use him best. He will be the better player over Brandon Tatum who many here wanted along with me. But Ingram was my #1 choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I promise you give it up. You have a couple who have triple downed so hard on Ingram they are pray like a heavens we trade him. If not they will enjoy him turning into a star but not fully and always have something to complain about. It will be similar to Julius Randle but Ingram will be a much better player on a winning team. Nothing from him will be enough. I for one have never used his one stretch to judge him but have used his overall play since he has entered. That stretch just showed how good he can actually be when used right. Gentry and Walton are good friends that I’m sure will be communicating to trade some tips on how to use him best. He will be the better player over Brandon Tatum who many here wanted along with me. But Ingram was my #1 choice.

Preech Guardian! Glad you are back!

Can we call him "Stix"?

Can we call him "Stix"?
    He's Brandon Ingram. That's his name.

Can we call him "Stix"?
    What about branchula?

Ing4a2

LonzoBallidae.

And Josh-a-hart Bear.

Basketball reference
    That's what I figured. My understanding is Basketball Refrenxe shouldn't be trusted for positional information since they base it simply off of who's on court instead of actually where the person is playing on the court.

Some of those SG minutes could have actually been SF minutes if the Lakers went with a lineup of McGee, Kuzma, Ingram, LBJ, Lonzo where LBJ actually played point and Lonzo shooting guard or vice versa.

I wouldn't put much trust in any of splits they have for SG vs SF. Now the pre and post All Star Break stuff, sure, but the positional stuff, nah.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190616-185642_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	6431

Thread Information