7 8.75%
  • Draft someone else

3 3.75%
  • Trade the pick

37 46.25%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: pick #4

Quote Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
    And why would atlanta do this? There isn't enough perceived separation in this draft between 4 and 8 to justify throwing in a 10 too.

Think about it- everyone is mentioning Garland, Culver, Hunter and White in that mix(especially the first 3 4-7) and in different orders. When there isn't even a well defined order 4-8 and nobody is a clear #4, the value of 4 vs 8 isn't nearly enough to justify giving up the 10th pick. If it was thought to be a 4-5 person draft and then big dropoff at 6, then maybe this is doable
    If they have a specific player in mind, they may consider it. There have been rumours that they would do it. Probably not 8 and 10, but maybe 8 and 17, or 10 and their 2020 Nets pick.

If they look at their roster and say ''we have our PG in the future, in Trae, and we have our franchise big man, in Collins, so we wanna give them a third star who can create their own shot, pass, play a little D, we want Culver'' then they will need to move up, because Culver will not be there at #8, in all likelihood.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
    And why would atlanta do this? There isn't enough perceived separation in this draft between 4 and 8 to justify throwing in a 10 too.

Think about it- everyone is mentioning Garland, Culver, Hunter and White in that mix(especially the first 3 4-7) and in different orders. When there isn't even a well defined order 4-8 and nobody is a clear #4, the value of 4 vs 8 isn't nearly enough to justify giving up the 10th pick. If it was thought to be a 4-5 person draft and then big dropoff at 6, then maybe this is doable
    That’s just us, we aren’t GMs, we really don’t know squat compared to real scouts. We have no idea if Atlanta thinks culver will be there at 4 and believe he is the next Tmac for all we know. Go look at past drafts, there’s always a stud, Kawhi Leonard for example or Paul George or dame

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If they have a specific player in mind, they may consider it. There have been rumours that they would do it. Probably not 8 and 10, but maybe 8 and 17, or 10 and their 2020 Nets pick.

If they look at their roster and say ''we have our PG in the future, in Trae, and we have our franchise big man, in Collins, so we wanna give them a third star who can create their own shot, pass, play a little D, we want Culver'' then they will need to move up, because Culver will not be there at #8, in all likelihood.
    You beat me to it

Man if we could find a way to package Lonzo and 4 for Morant oh boy

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    That’s just us, we aren’t GMs, we really don’t know squat compared to real scouts. We have no idea if Atlanta thinks culver will be there at 4 and believe he is the next Tmac for all we know. Go look at past drafts, there’s always a stud, Kawhi Leonard for example or Paul George or dame
    sure, but 8 and 17 is different than 8 and 10. I don't doubt that 8 and 17 is something they may consider if they have a specific player in mind. 8 and 10 is too much they would say

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Man if we could find a way to package Lonzo and 4 for Morant oh boy
    would be nice but not happening. all the reports are that the grizz really love and are set on morant.

I think many in here may be disappointing with the offers we get(if they are even on the block) for Ball and Ingram. I think Ball will attract more attention for Ingram just because his perceived upside if he develops a jumper is higher and you still have a year more of team control which means 1 more year before you have to make a decision.

But whenever you have a situation where people are saying "oh let's trade him" they are saying that for a reason. We wouldn't be saying "oh let's trade at least one of these guys" if they were better players without so many flaws or question marks. And if we say that, other teams are saying that too of course.

And that's also related to the same reason I don't really want to trade Ball- I think there is a lot of good there and if he can improve in some of his weaknesses(big if) you could have a very good nba player. Ingram I am less optimistic about.

I never said I didn't like #1 picks what I said and it's still true is that the draft ANY draft is a crap shoot and it IS , because there are NO sure things , Having a higher pick makes it somewhat better odds in that crap shoot . And I did say all the talk of it's really a 3 player draft and if you don't have picks 1,2 or 3 your chances go down a lot Is not that accurate . What was Kobe ? #13? My point is that if you're a good talent evaluator and and even better character evaluator a #4 -15 or so can be almost as good as a 1,2 or 3

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    I never said I didn't like #1 picks what I said and it's still true is that the draft ANY draft is a crap shoot and it IS , because there are NO sure things , Having a higher pick makes it somewhat better odds in that crap shoot . And I did say all the talk of it's really a 3 player draft and if you don't have picks 1,2 or 3 your chances go down a lot Is not that accurate . What was Kobe ? #13? My point is that if you're a good talent evaluator and and even better character evaluator a #4 -15 or so can be almost as good as a 1,2 or 3
    Unless your definition of a crapshoot is extremely different to mine, no it's not.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    HUNTER.

We need this guy.

We need depth at SF/PF

We need defense.

We need a legit shooter 3&D guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've kinda fallen in love with Bitadze. Trading back to 8 and 17 and nabbing him at 17 and Doumbouya at 8. I think I have a bit of an exotic lust thing happening.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

If we stay put I would take De’Andre Hunter due to his defense, size to play a Draymond type 4/5, and a shot that is improving. We don’t need a shooting guard and that’s what Culver is IMO. He could possibly play the 3, but I see him as more of a tall combo guard. He’s too similar a player to Jrue Holiday & Lonzo Ball being they are more penetrating type guards that can initiate the offense, really good defenders, not spot up shooters, and should be surrounded by shooters. I wouldn’t want to bring him here and make him play differently than he has in college. Unless we have Darius Garland or Coby White rated higher than Hunter cause they can shoot it and we will need a good backup point guard. Hunter is the only player projected in that range who could play in the same lineup with our other 4 core players IMO. Ingram has known to get injured, so a backup small forward should be the pick since there is no center worthy of a top 5 selection. Jrue can play point guard if needed since he has played the position more than any other in the NBA, so a really good backup is not needed as much as a backup 3 IMO.

Now if we traded back to 7 with Chicago then I would be fine taking Culver there since he will likely be the best player available. I still think Cam Reddish or Jaxson Hayes would be the better fit at that spot though. I hope Atlanta is really high on either Culver, Hunter, or one of the point guards. They have wings Bazemore, Crabbe, Huerter, & Bembry under contract next year. They don’t have anything decent at backup point guard, so they may be looking to add one. There likely isn’t going to be one at 8 or 10 unless White falls, but that isn’t likely to happen. Coby White would be a perfect pick for them since he can play both guards spot and Culver can as well since he initiated a lot of the offense at Texas Tech. That would allow Trae Young to play off the ball some as well. I hope they want White or Culver more than anything they could get at 8 and trade up with us. I want 8 & 10, but I may good with 8 & 17. I would try to get one of their 2nds with 8 & 17 though since they have 3 of them(35, 41, 42). Hayes & Reddish would be my targets. I would take Hayes at 8 and then either Reddish, Little, or Doumbouya(if they think he can play the 3) at 10. At 17 they have a ton of wings like Langford, Porter, or K Johnson and should have some decent players in the 2nd to get either a power forward or point guard(hope we get both with our 2nd round picks if we made that trade and a draft & stash type player at 57 or Tacko Fall lol)
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-16-2019 at 09:54 PM.

if we could get a quality player who can shoot and isn't too old for #4, that sounds good to me. with one more piece, we could be pretty darn good next year.

The ideal situation for any franchise is to be in a position where you are both building for future years/something special in the future and in the process of being very good at that moment. Sometimes it is not possible, sometimes it is.

sometimes people paint it as a dichotomous choice- either 'now' or 'the future'. that's often a false narrative.

We have decent talent going into next year *right now* on the roster(plugging zion in there). Im certainly not interested in seeing us win 36 games or whatever next year. We have Jrue who is a quality veteran mostly off guard. We have Brandon Ingram going into his fourth year. He's logged enough nba minutes at this point that he should be able to do what he's going to be able to do. Ball is someone who could very easily take a big step in his 3rd year. Zion can most definitely be a difference maker as a rookie. You take all that and add 1 more quality piece that can shoot and our win total may very well start with a 5 next year.

The future is important; so is the now. It's not a guarantee that the pelicans will be better in 2022-23 for example than 2019-2020. Ingram and Ball may give us a lot next year for example and may not/likely won't even be on the team in 2022/3. No way to know this.

We have enough talent by landing Zion that if the right player is available for #4 plus something else, I think we have to jump on it and try to be real good.

Hunter is the best player at 4. Hunter has very high fg% at 2s and 3s. He gets to the free throw line about 4-5 times a game. He play good defense. He can get an offensive rebound a game.

We must get shooting AND defense AND ability to get to the line. HUNTER is the guy.

My dream scenario is a trade for Myles Turner.

Pacers get Hill, Moore, and pick #4

Pelicans get Turner and pick #50.

We could then package 2 second rounders to trade up for a backup SF like Okeke

Lineup after FA

PG: Ball/Payton/Jackson
    SG: Holiday/Hart
    SF: Ingram/Williams/Okeke
    PF: Williamson/Mirotic/Diallo
    C: Turner/Okafor/Wood

That’s a team who can compete for a playoff spot.

[QUOTE=Pelicanidae;1494663]Unless your definition of a crapshoot is extremely different to mine, no it's not.[/QUO

crapshoot noun
    crap·​shoot | \ ˈkrap-ˌshüt
    \
    Definition of crapshoot

: something (such as a business venture) that has an unpredictable outcome Webster and I stand by my interpretation

[QUOTE=djrnno;1494692]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Unless your definition of a crapshoot is extremely different to mine, no it's not.[/QUO

crapshoot noun
    crap·​shoot | \ ˈkrap-ˌshüt
    \
    Definition of crapshoot

: something (such as a business venture) that has an unpredictable outcome Webster and I stand by my interpretation
    Yeah, and drafts are not that unpredictable. Some players are: Cam Reddish is an example of a player who's a crapshoot. Could work it out and be great, could fail.

But there are players who are legit just safe picks. There are lots of them. Lebron was one. Wade was one. AD was one. Players you just saw, and maybe you don't know EXACTLY how good they're going to be, but you know they're going to be good. And lo and behold, they were.

Scouts aren't just guessing. They know what to look for. They're not just tossing darts at a board and saying ''oh man, hope this one works out''. They're seeing things and they are usually right.

Fletcher reporting Bulls and Suns interested in Garland.

#4 for either #6 or #7 plus a protected 2020 pick.
    Similar to Dal/ATL trade.

BOL BOL is who I hope we draft. I think he will create space. Any space for Zion and teansvare dead-meat. Bol’s shooting is beautiful and natural. He has natural ability. I think he can be deadly. I hope we trade down to the 6th pick and get a future highly protected pick from PHX. If Bol puts on 10 lbs he could be just fine.

I really think he’s going to go much higher than people expect. I don’t like Garland. He’s not a great defender and he probably won’t get to the line much. Not much of a passer imo. He will not get a lot of assists imo.

Culver will get to the line a decent amount I think. He can hit the 3 look at freshman year. I think he has a decent shot. He’s a pest on defense and I see him being able to play SF. He has nice handles. Can score inside and out. Also, culver is an above average rebounder and he does a decent job taking care of the ball. It will be hard to pass on him. After watching and studying his game I am convinced he has star potential and would be a good fit since he also makes plays as a facilitator. Ball, Jrue, Culver, Zion and a free agent center??? Could be very tough.

So for me it’s Bol Bol if we are feeling really ballsy or its Culver.

Likely we draft Culver. That’s a damn good move imo

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I've kinda fallen in love with Bitadze. Trading back to 8 and 17 and nabbing him at 17 and Doumbouya at 8. I think I have a bit of an exotic lust thing happening.
    I’m on board.

I’m desperate for Bol tbh. If we trade back and get 17, he is my guy.

I wouldn't risk a first on Bol Bol. I think he will be an injury risk throughout his career. Guys his height always battle injuries and he already has foot problems.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Supposedly the Hawks are really high on Hunter. I think he’s the best player at 4 with Garland close. I hope we move that pick to the Hawks for 8 & 10 unless we get an All Star or potential All Star. But I rather get two young players on rookie deals. We would essentially be getting 4 1sts in the AD trade. I want either Reddish, Little, or Doumbouya with Hayes, Bol Bol or Kabengele.

Or what would be even better is if the player we want at 8 will likely be there at 10, we send 8 to Boston for 14 & 20. That would be sick getting essentially get 5 firsts for AD if that’s the case. Take Doumbouya, Reddish, or Hayes at 10, Kabengele, Bol Bol, Hachimura, Clarke, or Langford at 14, & Porter, Langford, K Johnson, Bol Bol, Fernando, Bitadze, or Claxton at 20. I would take the best center, small forward, and power forward in some combo at those spots. Then bring back Payton, but man we would have some money to spend in cap space and a really young team.

C: Kabengele, Okafor
    PF: Zion, Doumbouya
    SF: Ingram, Porter
    SG: Jrue, Hart
    PG: Ball, Payton

This would be better IMO:

C: Bol Bol(20), Okafor
    PF: Zion, Hachimura(14)
    SF: Ingram, Reddish(10)
    PG: Ball, Payton.

Bol Bol is one of the hardest players to mock cause he could go anywhere from the top 10 to mid 20s.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-17-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Supposedly the Hawks are really high on Hunter. I think he’s the best player at 4 with Garland close. I hope we move that pick to the Hawks for 8 & 10 unless we get an All Star or potential All Star. But I rather get two young players on rookie deals. We would essentially be getting 4 1sts in the AD trade. I want either Reddish, Little, or Doumbouya with Hayes, Bol Bol or Kabengele.

Or what would be even better is if the player we want at 8 will likely be there at 10, we send 8 to Boston for 14 & 20. That would be sick getting essentially get 5 firsts for AD if that’s the case. Take Doumbouya at 10, Kabengele at 14, & the best wing at 20 hopefully Porter or Langford fall that far. Then bring back Payton, but man we would have some money to spend in cap space and a really young team.

C: Kabengele, Okafor
    PF: Zion, Doumbouya
    SF: Ingram, Porter
    PG: Ball, Payton
    The Pelicans are not going to want 4-5 rookies on the team. That could be chaotic.

Cant lie. I'm surprised to see so many advocating to trade the 4th pick. It's like we all didnt go through the "young vets" era together.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I want Garland. I have no interest in trading back. If I'm trading for an already established player I'm overvaluing the pick and demanding an All-Star level player.

The potential of guys like Garland, Culver, and White is to high to trade that pick for pennies on the dollar. If it was a lower pick, like 6-10, sure. But 4 is to valuable.

Thread Information