7 8.75%
  • Draft someone else

3 3.75%
  • Trade the pick

37 46.25%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: pick #4

pick #4

I’m just saying no one has a consensus #4, sounds like Garland maybe, and if we are keeping Lonzo why are looking to add more young question marks to this team? I’m pretty much just saying what Griffin said anyway. He wanted to add an all star and young players and future picks. And ya’ll out here calling me Demps, he said that. Lonzo, Zion, Ingram, Hart, Jackson, Wood, Okafor is basically 3 drafts worth of young talent why would you not want proven players to compliment them? Just saying I prefer to trade the 4 for a young vet like Gordon or Sabonis or Turner / don’t trade down to Atlanta for 8 and 10 that is stupid and leans towards a continued rebuild instead of playoff experience for Zion in year one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RhythmNathan; 06-18-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The 100% proven method of winning: trading all assets for young vets.

That has never failed for us before.
    There's many examples around the league of bringing in all-stars AND also ones of keeping your assets and drafting prospects that have failed, as well.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    There's many examples around the league of bringing in all-stars AND also ones of keeping your assets and drafting prospects that have failed, as well.
    I'm not saying drafting is a 100% surefire way to win. I'm just saying that we just spend the better part of a decade trying to trade assets away to build a win-now rushjob contender. It failed, and we lost a franchise player because of it.

Maybe instead of taking those newly gained assets and throwing them in the garbage so that we can hurry up and repeat ourselves, it might be a good idea to try, just this once, something different? Especially when we have a GM who has stressed careful building for generational success, and some of the most successful teams in the league have been built around drafting right now, rather than trading.
    Basketball.

pick #4

I'm not saying drafting is a 100% surefire way to win. I'm just saying that we just spend the better part of a decade trying to trade assets away to build a win-now rushjob contender. It failed, and we lost a franchise player because of it.

Maybe instead of taking those newly gained assets and throwing them in the garbage so that we can hurry up and repeat ourselves, it might be a good idea to try, just this once, something different? Especially when we have a GM who has stressed careful building for generational success, and some of the most successful teams in the league have been built around drafting right now, rather than trading.
    That same GM/PBO you’re referring to is on the phone today shopping the pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmNathan View Post
    That same GM you’re referring to is on the phone today shopping the pick.
    Yeah, what for is the question.

Is he shopping the pick to Atlanta for 8+10? Or to Atlanta for 10 and the 2020 Nets pick for next year? Or is he on the phone with Phoenix, moving down to 6? Or Chicago, for 7?

That's all very different from getting on the phone to, say, Washington, and saying ''here, have #4, and Solo, and Moore, and 2 of the future Lakers picks, and a pick swap, and also some of our seconds, and also have you seen my watch recently cause you can have that too if you want it, and Gentry's car is probably for sale if you're interested.''

After listening to Griff and Langdon I doubt we're going to try the whole "young vet" thing again. This front office has a different feel to it... sounds like they're doing a ton of due diligence to drive up the price for assets they have.

Plus its draft time... I won't believe anything until it actually happens, and I don't think we're gonna trade to move up for anything.

pick #4

We have plenty of unsafe bets. All good. We disagree. But if that pick is traded I’m betting it will be for a player even if it’s tagged with a lower pick. And I will be back with silly memes and we can talk about whether it was good or bad.

Yeah, what for is the question.

Is he shopping the pick to Atlanta for 8+10? Or to Atlanta for 10 and the 2020 Nets pick for next year? Or is he on the phone with Phoenix, moving down to 6? Or Chicago, for 7?

That's all very different from getting on the phone to, say, Washington, and saying ''here, have #4, and Solo, and Moore, and 2 of the future Lakers picks, and a pick swap, and also some of our seconds, and also have you seen my watch recently cause you can have that too if you want it, and Gentry's car is probably for sale if you're interested.''
    the difference with a Washington trade(presumably for beal) is that he's 25. When you acquire a 25 year old star talent, you aren't just making a 'win now' move. You are making a 'win now' move and a 'let's win 4 years from now' move when he is 29 and still an all star talent.

It's possible to trade draft picks for established players and if the established player is young enough you are making a play *for* the future.

It's not like we would be trading for a kevin love(31 at start of next year, declining) type player.

The lakers and what they did falls into the same boat. AD is likely to be on that team for *longer* than Ingram and Lonzo was, even though he is a little older. He's probably even likely to be on the team longer than most of the possible #4 picks in this draft would have been. That was a win now and a win for the future move on their part.

Now the upside with a 19 yo draft pick vs a 25 year old star is that the 19 yo draft pick is going to be a lot cheaper of course. You need a blend of picks on rookie contracts and stars not on rookie contracts. So you better make sure when you do commit to a player like Beal at 25 yo he is someone you want to take up a large percentage of your cap. You definitely don't want to marry such a player if you don't really like him. but the basic principle that we shouldn't look at trading draft picks for such players I don't go agree with; Bradley beal is a good addition to the right team precisely because he is 25 and it doesn't have to be a 'win in 2019 or else' move. He's going to be good a while.....

with a guy like beal, it would all depend on the price imo. If it's something like the #4 pick and one of lonzo/ingram and something like a second round pick, I'd look hard at that for beal. Not sure the wiz would do that, but they really want that #4 pick I bet

Quote Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
    with a guy like beal, it would all depend on the price imo. If it's something like the #4 pick and one of lonzo/ingram and something like a second round pick, I'd look hard at that for beal. Not sure the wiz would do that, but they really want that #4 pick I bet
    That's essentially what I'm arguing. I've said probably like 10 times now that I'm not entirely against trading for Beal just on principle. He's a legitimate baller. I'm saying that if the cost is sacrificing that many future pieces, then I'm against it. If you can get him for a decent price, go for it. But I don't think we're in a position right now where cashing in all of our assets on one move is a smart idea.

Thread Information