Pelicans Report

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Deal Done

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Ok Davis just turned 26 in March so pointing that out is significant...

And it doesnt matter how the team gets built, there is no way that has a better proven probability for success over the other. Demps way didn't work out. Griffin's way may not work out. Because both are susceptible to the same problem...injuries and general bad luck. Bascailly you need some luck and for everything to go as planned.

So basically my point is this franchise will have to find a way to compete for championships before Zion reaches his prime.
    I don't think anyone would disagree that this team needs to be competing for championships by the time Zion reaches his prime.

I do think it's kind of silly to say that we ''have'' to find a way to compete for chips before then. Do we need to be a playoff team, consistently? Of course we do. But we don't have to be competing for a championship when Zion is 21. To even get in a position to do that would require us throwing away all our future assets and knee-capping the franchise.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-16-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The dream big man right now is probably Dedmon. Not sure if he's a FA, or whether it would be a trade issue, but he's basically just a competent big who can shoot a little, rebound a little, and play acceptable defense.

JaMychal Green is also a decent look. Shot well from three last year, would be relatively cheap, is a reasonable defender.

Jonas is a no-go, in my view. He's a pretty poor defender and can't really space the floor with any consistency. Last thing we need at this point is to go for more one-way players who crowd the paint.
    I got Jonas confused with Nikola Vucevic from Orlando. Both last names began with V and I get those 2 confused because I know so little about them.

Dedmon is a free agent btw

Completely disagree. Does this franchise need to be a playoff team by the team Zion hits his rookie extension? Of course it does. Does it need to be competing for a championship by the time Zion is hitting his prime (age 26-27)? Of course.

Does it need to be selling off the future to try and compete for a championship next year? God no. Same for the year after that.

It's true that every team needs a little bit of a luck, and a little bit of injury fortune. Aaron Nelson will help towards that, but he's no guarantee. There are no guarantees. But there are ways which offer options, flexibility, and there are ways which dead-lock you into a spiral to the bottom. Griff has opted for flexibility, and without knowing what other moves he has in mind that's the clear superior option to throwing the future away to try and chase Paul George or something.
    Not sure what you are disagreeing with since nobody said anything about selling off the future. I didnt.

I said this franchise needs to be competing for championships before Zion hits his prime whichever way the roster gets built. Thats just a hard truth for the New Orleans Pelicans.

Not sure what you are disagreeing with since nobody said anything about selling off the future. I didnt.

I said this franchise needs to be competing for championships before Zion hits his prime whichever way the roster gets built. Thats just a hard truth for the New Orleans Pelicans.
    Making ''win now'' moves is going to cost assets.

If you're saying literally nothing but ''the Pelicans need to be competing for championships before 2027'' then yeah sure, true, but that's also not anything that anyone would disagree with. I think we are all well aware that if things go well, we will be competing for championships by the time Zion turns 26.

But if you're saying we need to actively be competing for rings before that, you beg the question: how soon? By the time Zion's 25? 23? 21? Next year?

R/Laker has realized the cap conundrum that they face.

Their Solution: Kahwi opts in and demands a sign and trade to LA. Lmao.... He's gonna opt in and end up playing for 2nd chip. Lol. Why would Toronto do that? Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    R/Laker has realized the cap conundrum that they face.

Their Solution: Kahwi opts in and demands a sign and trade to LA. Lmao.... He's gonna opt in and end up playing for 2nd chip. Lol. Why would Toronto do that? Lmao
    sign and trade for what exactly? lol all they have is kuzma

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    sign and trade for what exactly? lol all they have is kuzma

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Because Kahwi got them a championship and owe them to send him wherever he wants... Duh. Lol

Fortunately the Lakers have used up every dang asset they had. Kuzma is so meh that Toronto wouldn’t consider helping them out

Making ''win now'' moves is going to cost assets.

If you're saying literally nothing but ''the Pelicans need to be competing for championships before 2027'' then yeah sure, true, but that's also not anything that anyone would disagree with. I think we are all well aware that if things go well, we will be competing for championships by the time Zion turns 26.

But if you're saying we need to actively be competing for rings before that, you beg the question: how soon? By the time Zion's 25? 23? 21? Next year?
    My comment was specifically addressing the idea that Griffin can wait until Zion is in his prime to go "win now". Some franchises can do that. The Pelicans cannot.

Here, it wil have to happen before that, likely beginning in his 4th year and in full swing in his 5th.

My comment was specifically addressing the idea that Griffin can wait until Zion is in his prime to go "win now". Some franchises can do that. The Pelicans cannot.

Here, it wil have to happen before that, likely beginning in his 4th year and in full swing in his 5th.
    How about we find out Zion is a bust first... Getting ahead of yourself

Don't make me come fight you.

Don't make me come fight you.
    In the famous words of Greg Oden box score sheet... DNP.

In the famous words of Greg Oden box score sheet... DNP.
    Greg Oden was a bust due to injury. That's not his fault, and I feel bad for him.

This next four day period will be known as AAD (AfterAD) or BZ (Before Zion). It is decreed.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    This next four day period will be known as AAD (AfterAD) or BZ (Before Zion). It is decreed.
    Lol that’s awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Griffmas Eve.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Burrito View Post
    Griffmas Eve.
    In Griff we trust.

Tentatively.

we can be very good when zion is a second year player imo. Depending on what we can get for ball or ingram or the pick if we decide to move it. Or maybe we aren't very good.

There is a lot of uncertainty with this trade, which is good. that's exciting. We don't know if Ball will develop any semblance of a jump shot. We don't know if Ingram will stay healthy and if he does we don't know if he will be worth a big money extension. I think we have to realize that what we 'get' out of Ball and Ingram could be a lot....or very little. And I don't mean as a trade chip I just mean in terms of actual on court production and for how long.

The #4 pick if we keep it? Same thing. maybe he turns out to be a good player. Maybe not. This is largely thought to be a two at best three player deep draft. So us drafting at 4 isn't ideal. But we don't know if this will be a valuable player or not. but it's exciting to hope and then watch as it unfolds.

Same thing with the laker picks and swaps(although Im not as optimistic about them given the lakers history). they could be worth very very little. Or they could go through another period like they did recently and then those become worth a lot down the road.

So it's exciting. But unknown. Other than zion(who Im excited as hell about and has high upside and a decent floor imo even if he doesn't develop a good jumper), there is nothing on our team you can point to and say "this is going to be good". Any projections about how good we will be in 2, 3, 4, etc years are worthless. It is a hopeless exercise to speculate how good we will be in 5-6 years for example. We might not have a single player including Zion even on the team then. Or we may.

But I'm hoping and expecting us to be pretty good soon. Hopefully even as soon as next year. Jrue is a veteran. Him and Ball as a defensive backcourt core is very good. I'm excited to see Ball hopefully improve. Everyone is excited to see Zion. I think 50-53 wins next year, especially if we can flip one of Ingram or Ball or the pick for a quality player who can shoot(which is obviously what we need more of next year) is very doable. Maybe even better.

We'll know a lot by the all star game next year what we are working with. We will see who are #4 pick is and how he looks. We'll see if Ball is making a leap year #3. We'll see what Zion looks like against nba competition, which everyone is clamoring to see.....so we'll know a lot more where we stand as a franchise shortly and if we are going somewhere or not

Dang. That's good. We really should call June 15th Griffmas Day each year we have these picks.

Also. I made a thing. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190616-211815_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	6432

Also. I made a thing. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190616-211815_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	6432
    Now make one with Griff being Pelinka's daddy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190616-213126_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	6433

Done.

LOL nah. This Larry Johnson/Charles Barkley mashup will be pretty ok I think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190616-213126_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	6433

Done.
    Griff correcting him to Universe legit made me pop. That was good stuff.

Thread Information