Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Deal Done

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Whoa!

You have to change that last name, bub.
    I'm older, make him change it.

At least I can keep the shirt my fiancee got me for Valentine's day lmao

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    We have Okafor/Wood/Diallo that can all play center. I’m comfortable going into next season with this group. Even after we say one someone like Beal we will still have assets to land a center. I’m having trouble finding a center that would actually be available I think is worth trading for and fits with what we need. I wouldn’t mind trying to pry Mitchell Robinson away from the Knicks. Only thing we need imo is a long athletic defensive center who doesn’t need the ball to impact the game. What would you guys like to see us do at center? I still think Okafor is going to develop into a very solid center.

Brook Lopez...been saying it since we got draft rights to Zion. His outside shooting will open the paint for Zion to operate.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    is it safe to assume that the person with the trained eye with the experience believe that ingram can avg 20pts?....i mean ingram was the main piece in the deal....its being reported that the 4th pick was a better option for us over kuzma.....so if the GM like ingram after seeing the same things you anti ingram posters seen in the past years,,what make yall think yall are right about ingram can not be a 20pt scorer?.......
    There's a difference between saying ''I believe that Ingram, given the right environment, could be a 20ppg scorer'' and saying ''Ingram IS a 20ppg scorer''.

One of them is a maybe, based on opinion. Could end up being true, sure. But the other is a statement of fact, which is wrong.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Just saw... "I'm hearing LA about to throw in another 1st rounder so the Pelicans can compete the deal at the end of July"

Make it 2 first Griffen and another trade swap
    He can't make it 2 firsts, LA literally cannot trade another FRP right now.

You can't trade 2026 picks yet, I think.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-16-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Love it. Funny, I thought players weren't supposed to be thrilled about coming to New Orleans. That narrative certainly has changed in less than two months.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Love it. Funny, I thought players weren't supposed to be thrilled about coming to New Orleans. That narrative certainly has changed in less than two months.
    The replies to him are pretty much agreed in the idea that he should be looking at Café du Monde.

What do you think about that recommendation? Thumbs up, or down?

But they can send us 2020 after the draft. I'd be all for betting against Lakers.

But they can send us 2020 after the draft. I'd be all for betting against Lakers.
    Not if they're still sending us 2021, which they have already and which I wouldn't want to give back. They'll get good in 2020: the 2021 pick has far more value.

I guess they could conceivably turn the 2024 pick with a 2025 deferment into just a 2024 pick, and then give separate swap rights to 2025, and still keep the option of a deferment. Which could extend potential control over their picks until 2026.

The replies to him are pretty much agreed in the idea that he should be looking at Café du Monde.

What do you think about that recommendation? Thumbs up, or down?
    Maybe Cafe Du Monde at City Park. More local. Not the one in the Quarter. Would get mobbed by the tourists. Locals here have a long standing history of not bothering people that normally don't like to be bothered. Have no idea what Morning Call is doing these days? I heard they have a food truck?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Right. Then couldn't we end up with #4, 2020 1st unprotected, 2021 1st swap rights, 2022 1st unprotected, 2023 1st swap rights, 2024 1st unprotected, 2025 1st swap rights?

I would happily delay the trade date in that case.

My dream moves this offseason: sign Brogdon. Move Ingram, Hart, 2 FRP to Okc for Paul George. Move lonzo to Chicago for pick 7 and players. Sign Brooke Lopez.

JRUE
    BROGDON
    PG13
    ZION
    Lopez
    ������

Holy moly... think of defense
    Last edited by PeliKhan; 06-16-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeliKhan View Post
    My dream moves this offseason: sign Brogdon. Move Ingram, Hart, 2 FRP to Okc for Paul George. Move lonzo to Chicago for pick 7 and players.

JRUE
    BROGDON
    PG13
    ZION
    ������

Holy moly... think of defense
    Would be fantastic defense.

But I would much, MUCH rather have the future flexibility that the picks give us. Yes, PG is a great player, but he's also 29 years old. What's better, having PG for the 2 year's we'd have him before he walks (same summer that Jrue is a FA, I think) or having the ability to assemble a younger team under cost control for years in the future?

It's either 2025 is the last pick they could offer or 2026. Its either 6 years or 7 years into the future you can trade your draft picks. I can't remember which. So maybe we could squeeze 1 more 1st out of them!

Not if they're still sending us 2021, which they have already and which I wouldn't want to give back. They'll get good in 2020: the 2021 pick has far more value.

I guess they could conceivably turn the 2024 pick with a 2025 deferment into just a 2024 pick, and then give separate swap rights to 2025, and still keep the option of a deferment. Which could extend potential control over their picks until 2026.
    I forgot the 2021 was a protected 8. Not swap rights

I think what has to be noted is that in this move, Griffin is essentially saying ''I am thinking long term''. He's not just thinking about 2020, or 2021: he's at least put SOME thought into what he thinks certain teams will be like, and what assets may be valuable, as far out as 2025.

That tells me that he's unlikely to be making any trades in the immediate future for guys who are win-now pieces, unless they have that long term future.

As much as I'm kind of tired of the Bradley Beal talk, Beal is one of those viable guys, because although his contract is pretty big he's only 25. So in 4, 5 years time, he'll still very much be a good player who will be fitting in with a Zion just entering his prime.

People like PG though? PG is 29, and a free agent in 2 years. I don't think it's very likely that Griff moves multiple future firsts, plus young players, to take on a guy who will very possibly be gone in 2 years, and who even if he stays, will be on the decline by the time Zion is ready to compete for chips, for big money.

Trading for PG is a move you make if you think you're gonna compete for a chip next season. We won't, and I think Griff is fine with that.

I think what has to be noted is that in this move, Griffin is essentially saying ''I am thinking long term''. He's not just thinking about 2020, or 2021: he's at least put SOME thought into what he thinks certain teams will be like, and what assets may be valuable, as far out as 2025.

That tells me that he's unlikely to be making any trades in the immediate future for guys who are win-now pieces, unless they have that long term future.

As much as I'm kind of tired of the Bradley Beal talk, Beal is one of those viable guys, because although his contract is pretty big he's only 25. So in 4, 5 years time, he'll still very much be a good player who will be fitting in with a Zion just entering his prime.

People like PG though? PG is 29, and a free agent in 2 years. I don't think it's very likely that Griff moves multiple future firsts, plus young players, to take on a guy who will very possibly be gone in 2 years, and who even if he stays, will be on the decline by the time Zion is ready to compete for chips, for big money.

Trading for PG is a move you make if you think you're gonna compete for a chip next season. We won't, and I think Griff is fine with that.
    I think David wants a winning culture, but he probably won't go win now till Zion is in his prime.

I think David wants a winning culture, but he probably won't go win now till Zion is in his prime.
    That's kind of what I'm saying. He's only going to make moves with long term benefit. He's not gonna cash in all the assets from this LA trade within 6 months.

This is the long game.

Here's the problem, when Zion hits his prime, he can do what Davis just did.

Davis is only 25 remember.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Here's the problem, when Zion hits his prime, he can do what Davis just did.

Davis is only 25 remember.
    Davis is 26.

The difference is that when we signed Davis, we didn't really have much in the way of assets. Didn't have other great players already signed, didn't have a wealth of assets to acquire new players. Dell tried to trade away our firsts for young vets, and it didn't work out. Partially because we couldn't get good, performing vets, partially because trading away those firsts meant we couldnt' acquire any young, cheap talent under contract.

By doing this trade, Griff has acquired essentially a second set of FRPs, meaning he can do the trades just like Dell could, but still keep the option of first round picks in the same year. It's double dipping. That is: we actually have multiple options to build around Zion, and to do it cheaply, opening up cap space. With Griff at the helm, we also stand a better chance of getting FA targets.

And Griff is a far savvier trader than most.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-16-2019 at 04:33 PM.

That's kind of what I'm saying. He's only going to make moves with long term benefit. He's not gonna cash in all the assets from this LA trade within 6 months.

This is the long game.
    At the same time. We should probably still be competitive for Jrue's sake. Granted... It wouldn't take much.

Zion & possibly Garland in the draft
    Ball, Ingram, and Hart from the trade
    Jrue, Moore & Oakfor being the team core
    Hill as a trade asset
    Julius Randle opted out yet? Why hasn't he?

So, we got a crap ton of guards. No depth at SF, PF or real starter at Center.

I think our Free agency gonna focus on finding a stopgap center that can rebound. Jonas from Memphis?

Davis is 26.

The difference is that when we signed Davis, we didn't really have much in the way of assets. Didn't have other great players already signed, didn't have a wealth of assets to acquire new players. Dell tried to trade away our firsts for young vets, and it didn't work out. Partially because we couldn't get good, performing vets, partially because trading away those firsts meant we couldnt' acquire any young, cheap talent under contract.

By doing this trade, Griff has acquired essentially a second set of FRPs, meaning he can do the trades just like Dell could, but still keep the option of first round picks in the same year. It's double dipping. That is: we actually have multiple options to build around Zion, and to do it cheaply, opening up cap space. With Griff at the helm, we also stand a better chance of getting FA targets.

And Griff is a far savvier trader than most.
    Ok Davis just turned 26 in March so pointing that out is significant...

And it doesnt matter how the team gets built, there is no way that has a better proven probability for success over the other. Demps way didn't work out. Griffin's way may not work out. Because both are susceptible to the same problem...injuries and general bad luck. Bascailly you need some luck and for everything to go as planned.

So basically my point is this franchise will have to find a way to compete for championships before Zion reaches his prime. The only actual benefit with Zion is he is coming into the league more advanced in his game than Anthony Davis did.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-16-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Talk about a bangwagon fan lol

At the same time. We should probably still be competitive for Jrue's sake. Granted... It wouldn't take much.

Zion & possibly Garland in the draft
    Ball, Ingram, and Hart from the trade
    Jrue, Moore & Oakfor being the team core
    Hill as a trade asset
    Julius Randle opted out yet? Why hasn't he?

So, we got a crap ton of guards. No depth at SF, PF or real starter at Center.

I think our Free agency gonna focus on finding a stopgap center that can rebound. Jonas from Memphis?
    The dream big man right now is probably Dedmon. Not sure if he's a FA, or whether it would be a trade issue, but he's basically just a competent big who can shoot a little, rebound a little, and play acceptable defense.

JaMychal Green is also a decent look. Shot well from three last year, would be relatively cheap, is a reasonable defender.

Jonas is a no-go, in my view. He's a pretty poor defender and can't really space the floor with any consistency. Last thing we need at this point is to go for more one-way players who crowd the paint.

Thread Information