Pelicans Report

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Deal Done

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    I've said before I would be worried about our shooting and spacing but it is a new day and plan on backing our new team all the way. At the end of the day this is our team that is going out there to play for us and it is a new day for our franchise. Every player has something they need to work on, as fans we probably need to work on our existential feeling of dread and learn to enjoy ourselves again
    I'm still hoping Griff is going to move either Lonzo or Ingram in the #4 deal.

But if he doesn't, I can live with that.

I like to think of it this way: some of the most fun I've had watching basketball in a little while was watching our team at the end of last season, particularly the stretch where AD wasn't there. We sucked. We were a horrible, horrible team. But everyone put in a ton of effort, people were running around, they trusted each other, and they played with an intensity. Sure, a lot of that came from spite: AD had just requested a trade, and they were buckling down together.

What it means though, is this: I can have fun watching a Pels team that's missing pieces, doesn't really work, and even loses a lot, as long as they play hard and play together. So, even if we desperately need spacing, and the coaching is patchy, and there's holes in the offense, I can live with it as long as they're gritty and just go after it every game.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Some people are claiming Ingram's a 20 point per game scorer, which is crazy because in his three years in the league he's only averaged 20+ points in a SINGLE calendar month. One, in three years.

So you never know what they'll come up with next.
    Oh I know exactly what they will come up with next...

"Ingram is the best 21 year old SF in the league since Durant and LBJ.

LOL.

If Ingram does end up on this team and isn't included in any other trades then of course I want him to freaking ball out of his mind. I want him to take that huge chip on his shoulder from being on the Lakers and absolutely dominate the league.

If he is going to be part of the trade for AD, I want him, Lonzo, and Hart to be BETTER than AD just to absolutely crush the Lakers.

But we need to approach this from at least a semi realistic level and Ingram and Lonzo have been a disappointment so far. If they hadn't been the Lakers wouldn't have needed to give us their entire future of picks to get AD.

Lets hope the Lakers desperation an disfunction ends up setting us up for the next decade.

I'm still hoping Griff is going to move either Lonzo or Ingram in the #4 deal.

But if he doesn't, I can live with that.

I like to think of it this way: some of the most fun I've had watching basketball in a little while was watching our team at the end of last season, particularly the stretch where AD wasn't there. We sucked. We were a horrible, horrible team. But everyone put in a ton of effort, people were running around, they trusted each other, and they played with an intensity. Sure, a lot of that came from spite: AD had just requested a trade, and they were buckling down together.

What it means though, is this: I can have fun watching a Pels team that's missing pieces, doesn't really work, and even loses a lot, as long as they play hard and play together. So, even if we desperately need spacing, and the coaching is patchy, and there's holes in the offense, I can live with it as long as they're gritty and just go after it every game.
    I agree because I want Elfrid (like I haven't said that enough). If he is a lock to resign, it would be more efficient to bring him back and use Ball to net a better player at a position of need.

Here's where my head is, though. It seems like all the rumors I see of people wanting our #4 pick want it to target Garland. Which makes me think they wouldn't want Ball. So my hopes on that got dashed a bit. Unless teams move up to target Culver.....I dunno.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

LOL.

If Ingram does end up on this team and isn't included in any other trades then of course I want him to freaking ball out of his mind. I want him to take that huge chip on his shoulder from being on the Lakers and absolutely dominate the league.

If he is going to be part of the trade for AD, I want him, Lonzo, and Hart to be BETTER than AD just to absolutely crush the Lakers.

But we need to approach this from at least a semi realistic level and Ingram and Lonzo have been a disappointment so far. If they hadn't been the Lakers wouldn't have needed to give us their entire future of picks to get AD.

Lets hope the Lakers desperation an disfunction ends up setting us up for the next decade.
    Maybe he'll pull a Victor Oladipo

LOL.

That's essentially my point of view. They have disappointed in the league thus far, but as long as they are in a Pelicans uniform then I hope that they prove all of my doubts wrong, and become what their fans have been saying they are. Who knows, maybe the Lakers dysfunction really IS the cause of their troubles, in coming to a smaller media market like New Orleans will help them play looser and with more confidence. Could be.

When it comes to picks, Griff is essentially betting that at some point between 2021 and 2025, the Lakers will be bad. That's a pretty safe bet, I think. Lebron is on the downturn right now (relatively speaking), and there's a real likelihood he's retired by the end of that time period. AD isn't as injury prone as some people like to make out, but he is far from a tank, and injuries can happen to anyone. Even if he doesn't get injured, by the end of this time period AD will be basically 31, and without Lebron, well... we've all seen how well AD can lead a team on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Maybe he'll pull a Victor Oladipo
    The playing good part or the injury part of Oladipo? Because he's already doing the injury part like Oladipo.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    When has Beal been our target? I have never heard one thing except it being said here. Beal has never even been a realistic target until now since we never had the assets. Not trying to take credit but I have been calling for this move for a long time. I just didn’t think we would have Zion!
    Don’t leave me out of the Beal conversation. I’ve been tooting that horn a while too. I’d hope Ball, 4, and a bunch of seconds would do it. We have 3-2nd rounders from the wiz over the next 3 years I think. Give em all back but really any trade of 2-1st and 2-2nds should get the job done. I mean much more than that and we’re in Davis trade land and he isn’t worth a Davis type of return.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I agree because I want Elfrid (like I haven't said that enough). If he is a lock to resign, it would be more efficient to bring him back and use Ball to net a better player at a position of need.

Here's where my head is, though. It seems like all the rumors I see of people wanting our #4 pick want it to target Garland. Which makes me think they wouldn't want Ball. So my hopes on that got dashed a bit. Unless teams move up to target Culver.....I dunno.
    I've strongly, strongly suggested trying to use Atlanta as the place to off-load the #4 pick. They might be more interested in Ingram than Ball, or maybe they're more interested in a straight up pick-for-pick deal than a player deal, but either way I think they'd be intrigued.

#4 + Ingram for #8 + John Collins is the dream, in my opinion.

But I'd also take #4 for #8 and #10, or #4 for #10 and their 2020 Nets FRP.

I've strongly, strongly suggested trying to use Atlanta as the place to off-load the #4 pick. They might be more interested in Ingram than Ball, or maybe they're more interested in a straight up pick-for-pick deal than a player deal, but either way I think they'd be intrigued.

But that doesn't get my Elfrid back.

Just sign Elfrid in FA he's not part of the trade issue.

Trade Ingram for #8 and John Collins, draft a small forward with #8 (Okeke, Doumbouya, PJ Washington, DeAndre Hunter, whoever), play Collins at the #5 and re-sign Payton for backup PG.

Pg: Lonzo/Payton
    SG: Jrue/Moore
    SF: Okeke/Williams
    PF: Zion/Wood
    C: Collins/Okafor.

Edit: I'd also add that this would help with spacing, since it's been a hot topic recently. Collins can shoot reasonably well (35% last season on basically 3 attempts per game), and Okeke shot 39% both years in college. Inserting them into the starting lineup would offer a little bit more spacing than just Ingram.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-16-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Isn't Lonzo basically young Elfrid?

Too many rookies with 10 and 8th picks. If we are trying to do anything. It's acquire talent or future picks.

Too many rookies with 10 and 8th picks. If we are trying to do anything. It's acquire talent or future picks.
    John Collins is not a rookie. He'll be a third year player this season, and has huge upside.

With the proposed lineup I listed above, we would have 2 rookies.

That's fine. Part of the reason I was fine with taking the Nets 2020 from ATL instead of demanding both #8 and #10 in a single year was to help spread out those picks. If you remember, 2020 is the only year we DON'T have an LA FRP option now, so filling it with a Nets pick wouldn't be a bad look.

Just sign Elfrid in FA he's not part of the trade issue.

Trade Ingram for #8 and John Collins, draft a small forward with #8 (Okeke, Doumbouya, PJ Washington, DeAndre Hunter, whoever), play Collins at the #5 and re-sign Payton for backup PG.

Pg: Lonzo/Payton
    SG: Jrue/Moore
    SF: Okeke/Williams
    PF: Zion/Wood
    C: Collins/Okafor.
    Yeah. I do agree with you on your overall points that we need shooting. I think where we differ is I really want that true PG, also. But I don't think we can do two (I know your proposed lineup was to appease me and not what you would want).

So my ideal would be to get a sharpshooting SG and have Jrue split time between SG and PG. Mostly being at SG. The top 3 guards would be Jrue/Payton....and then someone like LaVine, Beal, or Brogdon.

So....

Elfrid/Frank
    Jrue/Lavine/Hart

Or

Jrue/Elfrid/Frank
    Lavine/Moore/Hart

Or even

Payton/Brogdon/Frank
    Jrue/Moore/Hart

So I think Ball and Elfrid would be too much.

Your trades for picks I love. Totally agree with Collins and trading back for value in this draft.

Isn't Lonzo basically young Elfrid?
    That's crude but fair. When all is said and done, I think Ball eventually starts leading the league in assists or gets close to it on a consistent basis and is elite defensively. Payton is just slightly lower in those categories but I like him slightly better offensively, doesn't have the baggage, and has that local hero charm.

And team chemistry. That is so huge. I feel like Elfrid brings that.

AND if you can sign Elfrid while giving up no assets and trade Ball and gain assets......that's a no brainer.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 06-16-2019 at 02:01 PM.

John Collins is not a rookie. He'll be a third year player this season, and has huge upside.

With the proposed lineup I listed above, we would have 2 rookies.

That's fine. Part of the reason I was fine with taking the Nets 2020 from ATL instead of demanding both #8 and #10 in a single year was to help spread out those picks. If you remember, 2020 is the only year we DON'T have an LA FRP option now, so filling it with a Nets pick wouldn't be a bad look.
    I'm talking about 8th and 10th

I think David only wants 4 rookies max. Maybe not even that. We already have 4 picks.

I'm talking about 8th and 10th

I think David only wants 4 rookies max. Maybe not even that. We already have 4 picks.
    Yeah. I mean. Over the course of the next 6 years, we are definitely not drafting that many players. A good bit of those picks will be consolidated for better players (trades or moving up in the draft). So does that start to happen now to build an immediate contender or wait a year or two for rookies to develop and then trade for good players to bolster that team? It will be interesting to see the philosophy.

Just saw... "I'm hearing LA about to throw in another 1st rounder so the Pelicans can compete the deal at the end of July"

Make it 2 first Griffen and another trade swap

Just saw... "I'm hearing LA about to throw in another 1st rounder so the Pelicans can compete the deal at the end of July"

Isn’t there bad cap implications for the pels too if we wait?

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Isn’t there bad cap implications for the pels too if we wait?
    Yes we lose 4-5m in space if we wait.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Don’t leave me out of the Beal conversation. I’ve been tooting that horn a while too. I’d hope Ball, 4, and a bunch of seconds would do it. We have 3-2nd rounders from the wiz over the next 3 years I think. Give em all back but really any trade of 2-1st and 2-2nds should get the job done. I mean much more than that and we’re in Davis trade land and he isn’t worth a Davis type of return.
    Haha I know I’m not!! You definitely were and there was a few names who were hard on the same train with me. I’m just super excited we are in a real position to actually get him with assets and our front office is finally being said to have real interest in getting Beal.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Who cares about that space, take the extra first rounder! But I'm not sure how they can do that unless we remove some of the current conditions or decide to take their 2020 1st

Like free things, I always liked the idea of Beal being a Pelican, just didn't see a way of it actually happening.

Go Griff. I didn't think he could pull that many future assets out of this mess.

Basketball Guru
    is it safe to assume that the person with the trained eye with the experience believe that ingram can avg 20pts?....i mean ingram was the main piece in the deal....its being reported that the 4th pick was a better option for us over kuzma.....so if the GM like ingram after seeing the same things you anti ingram posters seen in the past years,,what make yall think yall are right about ingram can not be a 20pt scorer?.......

is it also safe to assume on this board that the coach with the trained eye and experience knows more than yall that he see things in lonzo that tells him he will be good at running his team/system?....his system needs a certain type of PG to run it and maybe thats why he fought to get lonzo because of what his experience tells him....

so if im going to bet my money on who i will trust and believe in knowing what they are talking about when it come to players then it will be the GM and coach over fans with no experience in drafting or trading for players.......yes i know this is a message board but some of yall like beating other posters comments down like yall are the experience ones on the subject.....

this should be a good time for the pelicans with a good trade.......and yes i know players do bust but the GM and coach seem to think these 2 players will be good so just take their word for it over yours that they know more about players then yall do.......

now,,flame me with the smart mouth and sarcastic comments lol....oh and the long commas lol......if you believe in the new GM then trust he knows more then yall do....

Who tweeted it? If you don't mind me asking. I believe you I just wanna get some extra clarity lol

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    Who tweeted it? If you don't mind me asking. I believe you I just wanna get some extra clarity lol
    Whoa!

You have to change that last name, bub.

Kidding. But yes. Was this a connected person or rando?

Thread Information