Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Deal Done

People talk about the future picks not having any value because the Lakers will be so good now. Stop and think for a minute.

1. If KD and Klay don't both get injured in the playoffs, does TOR win a championship? Probably not.

2. If Boogie doesn't get hurt against Houston, who knows how good the Pels would have been.

3. Think Gordon Hayward. BOS thought they were just a piece away and then lost him at the very beginning of the season.

The point being, we don't know what things are going to be like in 3-5 years as those picks unfold. The Lakers are ONE major injury away from being back in the lottery. On the other hand, the Pels now have MASSIVE flexibility. Suppose for example, Utah collapses in a few years and decides to trade Donovan Mitchell. We have the assets to be a player. Portland decides they want to unload CJ. We can be a player. Giannis leaves Milwaukee and the Bucks decide to unload some of their pieces and rebuild. We have the assets. If they want young players, we have that. If they want picks, we have that too. It won't make getting free agents here any easier, but it sure facilitates trading for what's needed to be a contender. And its NOT Dell Demps doing the trading.

The Lakers now have all their eggs in one single basket. Our portfolio is more diversified.

It's a good position we're now in

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    There's a balance. The more years a player is in the league and the older the player the lower the odds of that player making drastic improvements. That's the entire reason Sophomore / Junior / Senior college players are typically not valued as much as freshman players.

The hope with Lonzo, Ingram, and Hart is that the same thing that happened with Russell happens with them and that the dysfunction of the Lakers is what stunted their development so much.

But people are right in just looking at what they've done on the court, and being worried about it. Injuries, poor production, and length of contracts is all an issue. Can they improve? Absolutely. But Ingram has had 3 years and Lonzo 2 years in this league. It's not a guarantee at all that they will be much better than they are. High draft picks was out of the NBA ALL the time.
    I don’t agree at all because they have been in the league a couple of years they should all the sudden be stars at 21. I have pointed out many cases where Ingram at this age is ahead of just about every single star/super star in the NBA outside of Durant and Lebron. I can make case after case with players who started to make big improvements in their game after a few years in the league. Most of them start having everything come together around 22-23 years old and we have two 21 y/o kids with as much talent as any player 21 and under. Once the Lakers learned how to use Ingram with Lebron and not just shove him in a corner he looked like and put up Kevin Durant numbers. He has shown the talent and ability he can be everything we are looking for. If Lonzo had been drafted by the Clippers with a dad that didn’t speak people would be looking at his talent and skill set wondering how he doesn’t become a star caliber player soon.

I’m not the only one who believes this either.. Obviously Griffin and Langdon seem to agree with me as well... Sure these players could just never improve and fall out of the league.. I don’t see that happening and I’m betting on them becoming great players.
    Ingram is going to be a star SF who can flat out score efficiently. He has the ability play point forward at times creating for others which he didn’t do in LA because of Lebron. He has elite defensive potential giving us another young 2 way player. Pelicans fans are gong to find out just how good this kid is I have been watching since Duke. I’ll put $ down with anyone Ingram will be the better player over Tatum and imo he already is.
    I think at worst with Lonzo you have a PG who is a triple double threat every night as one of the better passers and creators in the NBA that will be making the list for all defensive teams for the next 10 years. With hard work Lonzo can develop a very good shot and has shown at times he can shoot the ball.
    I completely agree people are right to look at whatever they want with these guys. But some are being way to biased and blinded because of how much they bashed these 2 and now they almost can’t go back. Not that I don’t argue my case but I don’t bash people for their opinions. I have been bashed as some idiot by a few for believing Ingram can be a great player. Just feels good Griff and Langdon are seeing what I have all along. Can’t wait to watch the Pelicans next season!!
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 06-16-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I don’t agree at all because they have been in the league a couple of years they should all the sudden be stars at 21. I have pointed out many cases where Ingram at this age is ahead of just about every single star/super star in the NBA outside of Durant and Lebron. I can make case after case with players who started to make big improvements in their game after a few years in the league. Most of them start having everything come together around 22-23 years old and we have two 21 y/o kids with as much talent as any player 21 and under. Once the Lakers learned how to use Ingram with Lebron and not just shove him in a corner he looked like and put up Kevin Durant numbers. He has shown the talent and ability he can be everything we are looking for. If Lonzo had been drafted by the Clippers with a dad that didn’t speak people would be looking at his talent and skill set wondering how he doesn’t become a star caliber player soon.

Both of them could just never improve and fall out of the league sure. I don’t see that happening and I’m betting on them becoming great players. I’m not the only one who believes this either and obviously Griffin and Langdon seem to agree with me as well... Ingram is going to be a star SF who can flat out score efficiently and someone who can play point forward at times creating for others. He has elite defensive potential giving us another young 2 way player. I think at worst with Lonzo you have a PG who is a triple double threat every night as one of the better passers and creators in the NBA that will be making the list for all defensive teams for the next 10 years. With hard work Lonzo can develop a very good shot and has shown at times he can shoot the ball. I completely agree people are right to look at whatever they want with these guys. But some are being way to biased and blinded because of how much they bashed these 2 and now they almost can’t go back.
    First this needs to be made crystal clear: You are WRONG about Ingram being ahead of just about every superstar SF except Durant and Lebron. We've had this discussion, it's not even close. PG, Lenoard, all the superstar SFs BLOW INGRAM OUT OF THE WATER when you look at every meaningful measurement, offensive efficiency and defensively in nearly every single category.

It's a false narrative that has already been proven wrong. Stop perpetuating the lie.

Now with that said....

We aren't really disagreeing on anything else. I'm not as high in Ingram and Lonzo, that's fine, it's all opinion. We both admit that they can develop into good players or they could not. We are different on our % of expectations of their success but we do both admit either scenario can happen.

Like I said, there's a balance to what expectations should be.

I’m just wondering what Griffin has planned next. I would pretty much guarantee Ingram is staying in a Pelicans uni. Griffin has talked in the past now he believes he can be a cornerstone piece for a franchise. Hart has some value but not someone that would big piece in a trade and he is someone I would love to keep around as well. Then there is Lonzo who is the big ? for me. If we have anything else lined up to make another big splash it will involve Ball and picks. No way do we keep all of these draft picks and young players. The value for these assets is as high as it is going to get and I think Griffin and Langdon will capitalize on that. I see a trade similar to the Jrue Holiday one coming either before or on draft night. My guess is Bradley Beal. Is there a center out there anybody would like to bring in and thinks would fit well with this team? I wouldn’t mind trading for a big and making a hard run at Malcolm Brogdon in Free Agency. We are in such a good position to create a great team for a long time!!

First this needs to be made crystal clear: You are WRONG about Ingram being ahead of just about every superstar SF except Durant and Lebron. We've had this discussion, it's not even close. PG, Lenoard, all the superstar SFs BLOW INGRAM OUT OF THE WATER when you look at every meaningful measurement, offensive efficiency and defensively in nearly every single category.

It's a false narrative that has already been proven wrong. Stop perpetuating the lie.

Now with that said....

We aren't really disagreeing on anything else. I'm not as high in Ingram and Lonzo, that's fine, it's all opinion. We both admit that they can develop into good players or they could not. We are different on our % of expectations of their success but we do both admit either scenario can happen.

The only problem with just good players. They get grossly overpaid while great players get paid the exact same for the most part.

Now with that said....

Go look at what age those SFs you mentioned became the players they are. Go look at Kawhi Leonard at age 21,22, and 23 years old.. Ingram at 21 years old is far ahead of where Leonard and PG13 were!! Ingram blows them out the water what are you talking about? My point exactly is 21 year old players continue to get much better as Leonard and PG13 both did. I didn’t say he was better now and never have. I said at this same time in their careers only Lebron and Durant have been clearly better players.. with your theory you would have shipped Leonard and PG13 off before they ever even had the chance to be great.. Go find me a SF not named Durant/Lebron who was better then Ingram at age 20-21.. you won’t find one.. for a reason because it’s called players develop and make huge developments in those years from 21-24..
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 06-16-2019 at 10:23 AM.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Ball and Ingram have low values right now. I think it would be wise to let them play, see how they fit, and then move them as needed. As it stands, Ingram likely won’t net a return because of injury concerns. The contract doesn’t bother me because he is restricted and he will get an opportunity to be the closer for us. Ball, also because of injury, likely nets a low return.

One thing I do like is that Laker fans have always said these guys were underrated. Laker fans are notoriously delusional, but it does beat them being happy they’re gone.

At the moment, we have a closing four:

Ball
    Jrue
    Ingram
    Zion

Team needs offense. So I’d expect the selection at four to be between Culver and White.

Some people here can’t seem to see last tomorrow. Not like a 21 year old kid could get better could he? Talking of a 21 year olds game like it is set in stone is as dumb as it gets yet some continue to pretended that’s the case. We got some serious talent in this trade.
    True , not to mention he’s was playing for a dumpster fire of an organization with a bunch of trade rumors going on could have some effect on them I’m going to look at the positives I think they will be good in our system .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    People talk about the future picks not having any value because the Lakers will be so good now. Stop and think for a minute.

1. If KD and Klay don't both get injured in the playoffs, does TOR win a championship? Probably not.

2. If Boogie doesn't get hurt against Houston, who knows how good the Pels would have been.

3. Think Gordon Hayward. BOS thought they were just a piece away and then lost him at the very beginning of the season.

The point being, we don't know what things are going to be like in 3-5 years as those picks unfold. The Lakers are ONE major injury away from being back in the lottery. On the other hand, the Pels now have MASSIVE flexibility. Suppose for example, Utah collapses in a few years and decides to trade Donovan Mitchell. We have the assets to be a player. Portland decides they want to unload CJ. We can be a player. Giannis leaves Milwaukee and the Bucks decide to unload some of their pieces and rebuild. We have the assets. If they want young players, we have that. If they want picks, we have that too. It won't make getting free agents here any easier, but it sure facilitates trading for what's needed to be a contender. And its NOT Dell Demps doing the trading.
    I completely agree. We have not only set ourselves up now but for a very long time. There is a very good chance the Lakers have some terrible seasons with how much they not have tied into Lebron and AD. If they both miss some time with injury next season we have another lottery pick.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post

Wtf are they doing over there

ahahahahahaha

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Go look at what age those SFs you mentioned became the players they are. Go look at Kawhi Leonard at age 21,22, and 23 years old.. Ingram at 21 years old is far ahead of where Leonard and PG13 were!! Ingram blows them out the water what are you talking about? My point exactly is 21 year old players continue to get much better as Leonard and PG13 both did. I didn’t say he was better now and never have. I said at this same time in their careers only Lebron and Durant have been clearly better players.. with your theory you would have shipped Leonard and PG13 off before they ever even had the chance to be great..
    Dude we've had this song and dance already. You're WAY too high on Ingram. At 21 pg13 and Leonard destroy Ingram in stats. I'm. Not talking about comparing him to them now. I'm talking all of them being 21.

Ingram at 21 does 1 thing better than Pg13 and Leonard and that's he gets more assists. In basically every offensive effeciency Stat...he is worse. You see him scoring 18 points compared to 11 and think "man he's so much more awesome" while ignoring he took 5 more shots a game.

Almost every meaningful advanced Stat goes in the favor of Pg13 and/or Leonard. Per, Ingram is worse than both, TS% Ingram is worse than Leonard and tied with PG13, Rebounding Ingram is worse, Assists Ingram is worse than Pg13, steals Ingram is worse than both, WS he's worse across the board, value above replacement players Ingram is NEGATIVE across the board - not just worse than them - he's worse than replacement level players offensively and defensively based on those measurements. Offensive and defensively rating? Ingram is absolutely shattered.

It's not close. Not even remotely close. At 21 Ingram is not in the same league as PG13 or Kawhi.

Woj just said it’s unlikely AD waives the 4mil too. There’s a part of me that thinks the Lakers are fooling everyone; this gets worse by the hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    Woj just said it’s unlikely AD waives the 4mil too. There’s a part of me that thinks the Lakers are fooling everyone; this gets worse by the hour.
    With the news the deal goes through on the 6th (taking away the max slot) and AD doesn't waive his 4mil it's almost like the Lakers are super desperate just to get one player next to LBJ. It's gonna be a hard ask to get Kemba to walk away from the supermax to take less than even the regular max. Or ask Kyrie to walk away from max money to play with a guy he already hated playing with once.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

LOL

LOLLLLLL. Man we will basically have the same amount of cap space as the Lakers this summer if AD doesn't waive his bonus. 23m vs ~20m.

Only difference is we have tons of ways to clear more caps pace if we wanted to chase a player...

One last middle finger! I like it. Keep winning David Griffin.

Just a thought. Do you think Griff pulled the trigger because he is more confident selling that #4 pick to teams than having Pelinka try to find a partner? Or do you think he said, dang, I better agree to this before Pelinka catches on to what I'm up too?

The more this unfolds, the more of a desperate heave this is for the Lakers and that's not a homers opinion either. No cap room for them. Mortgage the future. AD is not even signing an extension with the Lakers. They are one injury away from imploding. The Pels have a diversified portfolio of assets and picks for the next 5-7 years.

Clutch Sports made it so easy for the Lakers. The Lakers could have just waited another 8 months or so and would have gotten AD for a 2nd round pick.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Just a thought. Do you think Griff pulled the trigger because he is more confident selling that #4 pick to teams than having Pelinka try to find a partner? Or do you think he said, dang, I better agree to this before Pelinka catches on to what I'm up too?

The more this unfolds, the more of a desperate heave this is for the Lakers and that's not a homers opinion either. No cap room for them. Mortgage the future. AD is not even signing an extension with the Lakers. They are one injury away from imploding. The Pels have a diversified portfolio of assets and picks for the next 5-7 years.

Clutch Sports made it so easy for the Lakers. The Lakers could have just waited another 8 months or so and would have gotten AD for a 2nd round pick.
    I think it came down to Griff wanted to have time to interview players and work other deals out ahead of the draft.

I'm sure he kept telling them to find a 3rd team so Pelinka would have to keep upping the offer then once Pelinka basically gave us everything Griff jumped on it to give himself enough time to work other deals out.

Keep in mind other teams can still get involved in the trade before we sign the paperwork. So it could still end up turning into a 3 team deal. But this locks in what assets the Lakers are giving up to us.

Can anyone explain what he means about the #4 pick playing in summer league? How does this affect that?

I hope this is true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Can anyone explain what he means about the #4 pick playing in summer league? How does this affect that?
    If we had to wait until July 30th to do the trade then the #4 pick wouldn't officially be ours until July 30th. This is after summer league is over so he'd miss out on all the practice and games with the team over the summer league.

Thread Information