Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Confession time: Who wanted to pay Boogie the max?

Confession time: Who wanted to pay Boogie the max?

Come on out and confess. I’ll even eat the crow.

Who else wants to confess now? We can now agree Demps was a bad GM.

I didn't. I was saying at the time that the risk was way too high.

I did say that the $20m, 2 year thing was a generous but not unreasonable offer though. Obviously Demarcus turned it down, which was a mistake on his part, but I understood why Dell offered it despite the injury.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I didn't wanna give him the max, but I was willing to pay him. He made a very poor business decision this year. Who knows what happens, but he's probably gonna get lowballed.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I didn't wanna give him the max, but I was willing to pay him. He made a very poor business decision this year. Who knows what happens, but he's probably gonna get lowballed.
    My prediction is that he signs a 1-year $12-$15 million prove it deal with the Lakers. The Lakers will likely strike out on a big name and have to settle with a selfish star chasing player like Boogie to save face.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 06-08-2019 at 01:28 AM.

I wanted to pay him max before the injury. Definitely wanted no part in that after.

I'm guessing the Demps reference was sarcasm...?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Come on out and confess. I’ll even eat the crow.

Who else wants to confess now? We can now agree Demps was a bad GM.
    What does the Demps thing mean? He wasn’t offering a max deal, that’s why Boogie left.

I don’t remember a lot of people here clamoring for max money. Most felt the 20mil/2year deal was more than fair and probably overpaying a bit. Obv in hindsight thank goodness he didn’t take it but we were all a little wary of what team we could construct without him and for good reason. A year later and AD is leaving because we sucked.

Everyone is cocky now because we have the first pick. Just have the remember the string of events that led us here was pretty unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted to pay him the max, and I still wouldn’t have had a problem paying him $20mil. His injury has set his game back, but he still isn’t fully healed, so this isn’t his final form either. He will return to being a step below what he formerly was, which is still better than 2/3 the centers in the NBA.

I agree with Darkehorse, I think he will get paid by the Lakers after they whiff on all other talent. He will get paid a bit more than $12-$15, but that’s because they are going to enter the season looking to re-perform the same method as last year with all those one year deals.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I 100% wanted to give Cousins whatever he was willing to sign because I felt the key to keeping AD was having Cousins on this team.

I'm happy we went this path though because it allowed us to get Zion (who would have thought after last year's playoff run we'd have won the lottery this season for Zion).

After we started hearing about what transpired and how we made Cousins the highest offer and he just flat refused it due to his pride I was over wanting to sign him at all, but before free agency started I wanted to give him whatever he wanted.

The injury really messed things up for not only keeping Cousins but also keeping AD. What a weird alternate universe we'd be living in if Cousins never got injured in that Rockets game.

I didn’t want to max a guy that wouldn’t contribute this year and although he’s played decent at times he hasn’t been worth max money . Next year maybe but I wouldn’t bet my franchise on it still to this day .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I wanted to pay him max before the injury. Definitely wanted no part in that after.

I'm guessing the Demps reference was sarcasm...?
    Ding. Thank God we got a real GM & Director now.

Here is an article about a year old but still stands today

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/7/...18-23-thoughts

Yeah Cousins lost lots of money, does anyone feel sorry for him?

https://earlybirdrights.com/2018/07/...rs-and-beyond/
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 06-08-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Meh. Demps set us up to win. Consistently. He established a team that should have performed better. After that, if you want to place blame on the training staff, the players, or just fate, go for it.....but landing Boogie was working. We were absolutely wrecking the league. We were besting the league leading Rockets as Boogie went down. Then we were reeling, Dell pulled off the Niko trade. We were back to a great team. We ran into GS.

No one saw us getting Boogie and becoming a force like that. Very little predicted the resurgence after Boogie went down. And even missing that much talent, Dell found a way ti set us up.

Then he gets Elfrid and others. We start this season and it is off the chain. We ARE the league leading team. Then injuries. Then AD. And he we are. But in all of that, Dell put us in a place to succeed. So yeah, it's pretty ignorant to see a guy still recovering from an Achilles injury struggling for another team and use that as a shot against our old GM.

Do you mean Cousins pre or post injury?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Do you mean Cousins pre or post injury?
    It was a no-brainer either way. Pre-injury Boogie was getting the max. Post-injury Boogie was never getting
    the max, and he was too butt hurt to accept that. We dodged a bullet either way. I don’t think keeping a healthy Boogie would have equated to winning. AD still would likely want to leave for a big market, and we would have become the Sacramento Kings with Boogie as our play well when he feels like it star player. In hindsight, the franchise is better off without Boogie Cousins.

You know......looking back at the two 2011 CP3 deals.....revisionist history but the Dell trade seems better than the Stern one. Scola, Dragic, Martin.....Gordon was supposed to be The Next Guy so at the time, he was the prize, but I think he actually is responsible for most of AD era failure.

We weren't the market that would attract big time FAs. We had Gordon and AD. We built around that. Gordon wasn't that guy that worked hard and it just didn't happen. He was a punk who intentionally tanked the team. Now, yeah, Dell has to take some ownership in not shipping him out for assets.......but the way Gordon was acting, we wouldn't have gotten much back. Some could argue we never should have resigned him....but again, we would have gotten nothing in compensation and this wasn't the type of market you could just build through FA.

Most people's anger with Demps should be placed on Gordon and you could maybe even go Stern for forcing that trade. IMO, we would have been better off with the Lakers 2011 trade. It took Dell most of ADs career here to recover from Gordon and when we did, we had a couple of great runs plagued by injuries.

But THAT'S why I love Zion so much. His passion for the game and his energy. I love the prospect of Tatum or RJ because of that same competitive edge. We had to sit through years of Gordon being an emo punk only to then have to endure this AD mess. Zion is the perfect palate cleanser for those guys.

You know......looking back at the two 2011 CP3 deals.....revisionist history but the Dell trade seems better than the Stern one. Scola, Dragic, Martin.....Gordon was supposed to be The Next Guy so at the time, he was the prize, but I think he actually is responsible for most of AD era failure.

We weren't the market that would attract big time FAs. We had Gordon and AD. We built around that. Gordon wasn't that guy that worked hard and it just didn't happen. He was a punk who intentionally tanked the team. Now, yeah, Dell has to take some ownership in not shipping him out for assets.......but the way Gordon was acting, we wouldn't have gotten much back. Some could argue we never should have resigned him....but again, we would have gotten nothing in compensation and this wasn't the type of market you could just build through FA.

Most people's anger with Demps should be placed on Gordon and you could maybe even go Stern for forcing that trade. IMO, we would have been better off with the Lakers 2011 trade. It took Dell most of ADs career here to recover from Gordon and when we did, we had a couple of great runs plagued by injuries.

But THAT'S why I love Zion so much. His passion for the game and his energy. I love the prospect of Tatum or RJ because of that same competitive edge. We had to sit through years of Gordon being an emo punk only to then have to endure this AD mess. Zion is the perfect palate cleanser for those guys.
    Zion, a 285 pound palate cleanser. It will stake someone that big to remove the bitter taste of the last decade of New Orleans basketball.

Meh. Demps set us up to win. Consistently. He established a team that should have performed better. After that, if you want to place blame on the training staff, the players, or just fate, go for it.....but landing Boogie was working. We were absolutely wrecking the league. We were besting the league leading Rockets as Boogie went down. Then we were reeling, Dell pulled off the Niko trade. We were back to a great team. We ran into GS.

No one saw us getting Boogie and becoming a force like that. Very little predicted the resurgence after Boogie went down. And even missing that much talent, Dell found a way ti set us up.

Then he gets Elfrid and others. We start this season and it is off the chain. We ARE the league leading team. Then injuries. Then AD. And he we are. But in all of that, Dell put us in a place to succeed. So yeah, it's pretty ignorant to see a guy still recovering from an Achilles injury struggling for another team and use that as a shot against our old GM.

If Dell Demps was so good, Has he found another job? Nothing will remove the smell of the contracts of Omar Asik, Solomon Hill, Ian Clark.

Then he kicks people like Quinn Cook, Buddy Hield, and Seth Curry to the curb.

Never forget Ishhhhhhhhhhhh and Jimmertime

Yeah Dell knew talent.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 06-08-2019 at 12:47 PM.

EVERY franchise is littered with Quinn Cooks and Seth Currys. That is the NBA.

Asik is often used as an example of awful Dell but that is, again, revisionist and shortsighted. At the time of the signing, big men ruled the NBA. You couldn't win without a big, strong, center. It just didn't happen. Asik was on the trajectory to be the next great one. He was derailed by injuries and the Warriors (and the changing of the NBA). It's another example of someone blaming Dell for making a good signing that was ruined by injuries.....or condemning him for not predicting the Warriors would change the way the game was played.....and since the signing was at the beginning of the Warrior dynasty, it is ridiculous to blame him for not seeing the change coming.

EVERY franchise is littered with Quinn Cooks and Seth Currys. That is the NBA.

Asik is often used as an example of awful Dell but that is, again, revisionist and shortsighted. At the time of the signing, big men ruled the NBA. You couldn't win without a big, strong, center. It just didn't happen. Asik was on the trajectory to be the next great one. He was derailed by injuries and the Warriors (and the changing of the NBA). It's another example of someone blaming Dell for making a good signing that was ruined by injuries.....or condemning him for not predicting the Warriors would change the way the game was played.....and since the signing was at the beginning of the Warrior dynasty, it is ridiculous to blame him for not seeing the change coming.
    Has Demps found another job yet? Or are we using injuries as an excuse?

At least people want to work for Griffin, and Griffin got us a real trainer.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 06-08-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Assuming Demps had that control. Loomis may have had more to do with that. Also, if you guys follow the Saints, he was forced to use that medical staff that eventually got fired. He also worked here so long we don't even know Demps wants a job. I would take some time off if I were in that position.

Any other straw men?

Imagine putting Quinn Cook in the same sentence as Buddy Hield and acting like you're not setting up false expectations.

Quinn Cook is whatever. Like MSU said, every single franchise has Quinn Cooks. Spurs let Dedmon go when they desperately needed a competent rim protector, obviously error. They also let Jonathan Simmons go at a time where they desperately needed ball handlers. They lucked out in the draft the next year with their late pick so it didn't burn them, but that was a mistake at the time. They couldn't have guaranteed their late picks and second rounders would produce usable players.

So do we condemn RC Buford now too? He let Dedmon go!

Quinn Cook got carried to the finals by an elite team that starts three all-stars even without KD. He is averaging 4.4 points and 1 rebound in the playoffs, shooting 40% from the floor and 33% from deep. Are we supposed to cry over him? Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Imagine putting Quinn Cook in the same sentence as Buddy Hield and acting like you're not setting up false expectations.

Quinn Cook is whatever. Like MSU said, every single franchise has Quinn Cooks. Spurs let Dedmon go when they desperately needed a competent rim protector, obviously error. They also let Jonathan Simmons go at a time where they desperately needed ball handlers. They lucked out in the draft the next year with their late pick so it didn't burn them, but that was a mistake at the time. They couldn't have guaranteed their late picks and second rounders would produce usable players.

So do we condemn RC Buford now too? He let Dedmon go!

Quinn Cook got carried to the finals by an elite team that starts three all-stars even without KD. He is averaging 4.4 points and 1 rebound in the playoffs, shooting 40% from the floor and 33% from deep. Are we supposed to cry over him? Get over it.
    Quit defending Demps. Griffin has already exposed several deficiencies Demps had done.

Quit defending Demps. Griffin has already exposed several deficiencies Demps had done.
    Nobody is defending Demps. He made a couple of good moves, a bunch of trash ones, I'm glad he's been fired and it happened years later than it should have done.

Doesn't change the fact that the points you're choosing to attack him with, like Quinn bloody Cook of all people, are beyond stupid.

I'll defend him. I love Griffin. He hasn't really GMed yet....but I like the potential. Change needed to happen. Things just never lined up for Demps but he wasn't a bad GM. Yeah, the points being brought up just don't add up. Demps should be remembered as akin to Mueller with the Saints. We never won anything huge but we actually made some noise for once and there was some promise. Hopefully a Loomis/Payton/Brees situation occurs where the Pelicans finally ascend to greatness. But we still have to appreciate the Moras and Hasletts for what they did bring us.

Whether or not I wanted to pay him is irrelevant. I couldn't understand why we traded for him just to let him walk. That's one of Demps major blunders.

Seth Curry?
    We never even HAD Seth Curry!!! He was just on the summer league team! He was never a Pelican, never signed a contract with the team, never had a jersey, never played a single game for the Pelicans. And since entering the league, he's bounced from team to team and has only averaged double digits once, for one team.

Come on. Next you're going to try and roast Dell for letting Austin Rivers go.

Thread Information