Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Davis and Griffin meeting today (this time per Shams)

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Hey, here's an idea, why not trade AD to Memphis straight up for #2. Then we can get Ja Morant, who is going to be the next Stephen Curry but with Magic's vision and Westbrook's athleticism, and will singlehandedly win us a championship playing 1 on 5 against Golden State.

Edit: I feel like I shouldn't have to say that this was sarcasm, but just in case: this is sarcasm.
    Or we do the trade, take Ja with the 1st pick and Zion with the second. Just to mess with Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm going to try and explain this very clearly.

You say Memphis would drop back to get ''the third pick, some players, and future picks''.

Maybe they would do that. But the ''players and future picks'' are exactly the assets you would want from NY for AD. And they would not have them any more. Acquiring the #2 pick would COST them all of the assets THAT YOU WANT in the first place. If you only care about the #2 pick, then you just trade AD to Memphis for the #2 pick, but nobody will do that because we all know the #2 pick alone isn't good enough. You want more than just the number 2 pick. Which means you can't have NY, or any other team, gut their assets to acquire the #2 pick because then they have nothing else to give you for AD.

What I said was that there is no way Memphis are trading down without ALSO taking Robinson, because as you say, they would want the third pick, and the players, and the future picks. And if the Knicks don't have Robinson, or the Dallas picks anymore, what do they have? #2 and Kevin Knox. No way in hell is that good enough for AD.

Hope that clears things up.
    I understand what your saying but if we want the second pick that bad it may be worth letting one of those Mavs picks and Knox or DSJ go to Memphis to get the pick but not Robinson. Me personally I would just take Barrett I think he’ll be as good as Morant or better but they are only moving up one pick a couple of other picks to help Memphis build their roster and Knox or DSJ should be enough I would think .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    I understand what your saying but if we want the second pick that bad it may be worth letting one of those Mavs picks and Knox or DSJ go to Memphis to get the pick but not Robinson. Me personally I would just take Barrett I think he’ll be as good as Morant or better but they are only moving up one pick a couple of other picks to help Memphis build their roster and Knox or DSJ should be enough I would think .

I think I said this back in maybe March, and I wavered for a little while, but I think over the past few days I'm shifting again.

I take Culver over Barrett, right now.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I'm still waiting for anyone to give me an example from the last 30 years of a team paying more than a future 1st and a player recently picked in the lottery to move up 1 spot in the draft...

If Memphis has any interest in Garland, RJ, or Culver... it won't cost much to move from 3 to 2, or even 4 to 2. It has never in the history of the NBA cost as much as what some on here are suggesting it would cost.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 05-31-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I'm still waiting for anyone to give me an example from the last 30 years of a team paying more than a future 1st and a player recently picked in the lottery to move up 1 spot in the draft...

If Memphis has any interest in Garland, RJ, or Culver... it won't cost much to move from 3 to 2, or even 4 to 2. It has never in the history of the NBA has cost as much as what some on here are suggesting it would cost.
    I think you’re probably right with the caviat that Memphis has to like the other guys as much or almost as much which they’ve at least indicated is not the case.

If they like the other guys, it prob takes a future first to swap. If they don’t, it essentially takes so much it’s not a palatable deal for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

If Memphis has any interest in Garland, RJ, or Culver... it won't cost much to move from 3 to 2, or even 4 to 2. It has never in the history of the NBA cost as much as what some on here are suggesting it would cost.
    Exactly

I think a lot of us see this as a two man draft, so for the Grizz to move out of the two man draft and enter gen pop (with the rest of the people who can’t draft Zion or Ja) would take a lot more capital. The Grizz (next to the Pels) have all the leverage (like we have in the AD trade). If you want Ja you are going to have to pay plenty.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Guys. No way on earth Memphis trades their pick. Unless their scouts are terrible. Ja Morant is perfect for them. Darius Garland will not be near as good if he can’t develop his passing skills.

Morant is NBA ready.

I’d rather sign Elfrid to a good contract than give up assets for Morant. Elfrid is still developing his game and shows serious potential imo.

Trade with Boston or NYK.

I think we should do the trade with the Knicks. RJ Barrett will probably be an all star. He has to improve his shooting and he will. He will probably be better than Morant imo. I’m not going to get caught up in the Morant hype. Barrett is 6’7” a very very good rebounder, an elite finisher attacking the basket, and he’s a very good facilitator. He will be a good shooter. I have no doubt in this kid. He’s got supreme confidence, he’s got that fire in the belly, he has chemistry with Zion, he was coached by coach K, Steve Nash is his mentor/godfather.

Get over Ja Morant. If the KNICKS give us RJ with Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson, Dennis Smith and two future 1st round picks we have to pull the trigger.

Also... I think people are underestimating Knox. He’s developing and is only 19. I bet when he’s 21 he will be a huge problem. He reminds me of a poor man’s Giannis. I’d bet on him. People are wrong about him.

If we do the KNICKS trade I would go after shooters in FA.

If it’s possible to get Oubre, Brogdon, and/or Niko I would do it.

We have assets that we could move now or at feb trade deadline. I’d keep that in mind. A sign and trade with Randle isn’t a bad idea at all. I wouldn’t mind signing Randle and just seeing how it goes with him and Zion. You never know. It could be freaky having two guys like that.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I think a lot of us see this as a two man draft, so for the Grizz to move out of the two man draft and enter gen pop (with the rest of the people who can’t draft Zion or Ja) would take a lot more capital. The Grizz (next to the Pels) have all the leverage (like we have in the AD trade). If you want Ja you are going to have to pay plenty.
    In fairness... this is a one man draft.

The next tier clearly includes Ja, but it also includes (based on team preference) either RJ, Culver, or both. The reason Ja is seen as clearly in the next tier - possibly all by himself - is because Memphis has indicated that he is going to be their pick.

If they came out after the draft and said RJ was going to be the pick, consensus would shift toward RJ. FWIW, RJ is younger than Ja, and had a better freshman year on the wing at Duke than Ingram or Tatum.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...U5dOoxJScRFFsn

This guy is an excellent scout

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

Also... I think people are underestimating Knox. He’s developing and is only 19. I bet when he’s 21 he will be a huge problem. He reminds me of a poor man’s Giannis. I’d bet on him. People are wrong about him.
    What about his game do you think even compares to Giannis?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...U5dOoxJScRFFsn

This guy is an excellent scout

This is the guy who used to scout for the Wizards, doesn't know what a Zone defense is, argued that an ex NBA player doesn't know what he's talking about because he never worked in a video room, and claimed that girls love him because he gets "team issue half zip hoodies" and can take them anywhere "except the operations annex".

He's beyond clueless. He's an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What about his game do you think even compares to Giannis?
    He's physically weak and can't shoot.

/Sarcasm, but only slightly

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Has Memphis given "official" confirmation? Or is it all reported speculation?
    I don't even think it matters. They can officially say it and totally trade out of #2 if the right deal comes along. The NBA draft is no different than any other sport when it comes to the information that's said leading up to the draft. Believe nothing. Once they take Ja then its "official".

Guys. No way on earth Memphis trades their pick. Unless their scouts are terrible. Ja Morant is perfect for them. Darius Garland will not be near as good if he can’t develop his passing skills.

Morant is NBA ready.

I’d rather sign Elfrid to a good contract than give up assets for Morant. Elfrid is still developing his game and shows serious potential imo.

Trade with Boston or NYK.

I think we should do the trade with the Knicks. RJ Barrett will probably be an all star. He has to improve his shooting and he will. He will probably be better than Morant imo. I’m not going to get caught up in the Morant hype. Barrett is 6’7” a very very good rebounder, an elite finisher attacking the basket, and he’s a very good facilitator. He will be a good shooter. I have no doubt in this kid. He’s got supreme confidence, he’s got that fire in the belly, he has chemistry with Zion, he was coached by coach K, Steve Nash is his mentor/godfather.

Get over Ja Morant. If the KNICKS give us RJ with Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson, Dennis Smith and two future 1st round picks we have to pull the trigger.

If we do the KNICKS trade I would go after shooters in FA.

If it’s possible to get Oubre, Brogdon, and/or Niko I would do it.

We have assets that we could move now or at feb trade deadline. I’d keep that in mind. A sign and trade with Randle isn’t a bad idea at all. I wouldn’t mind signing Randle and just seeing how it goes with him and Zion. You never know. It could be freaky having two guys like that.

All of this.

I like the way you think.

Elfrid would be my biggest target to resign and inly Kemba would make me waver. And I would underpay Kemba, I like Elfrid so much.

Then the Knicks trade. I, too, think people are blowing past Knox way too quickly. Robinson and RJ would be great additions. This team would be playing well in year one, set up for amazing potential, AND have future assets to keep reloading.

I totally agree that some people need to get over Morant. He's going to be a good player but he's not going to be a top 5 or top 10 talent, with all likelihood. He doesn't project that well.

But I think you've got to cool your jets on RJ a little too. RJ is a good rebounder, but he has no natural nose for the ball, especially on the offensive glass. He doesn't box out well either.

He is not a ''very good facilitator''. Barrett is a solid passer, and knows how to make the right pass within set plays, but he has poor vision and very little natural feel for passing. That can always develop, but Morant's vision and passing feel is lightyears ahead of Barrett's, and frankly so is Zion's. If something is happening in the open court, or in a broken play, RJ can easily become lost and make silly passes, or just not pass at all in favour of the forced shot.

I also disagree that he will be a great shooter. He strikes me as the kind of player who will be a shot maker, but not a shooter, if that makes sense. I could see him having some big moments, but his career 3pt% will waver around 36% or so. Nothing special, nothing incredible.

His real strengths come from his size, his athleticism, his defensive potential (which is not anyway near as high as Zion's but is still good) and his confidence as a ball-handler.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I don't even think it matters. They can officially say it and totally trade out of #2 if the right deal comes along. The NBA draft is no different than any other sport when it comes to the information that's said leading up to the draft. Believe nothing. Once they take Ja then its "official".
    I only asked if it was officially said by Memphis because some people are arguing about Memphis saying they are going to draft Ja to raise the cost of trades, but the Pels have also been said to take Zion so the same logic would mean they are trying to drive up Zion's price.

I don't think either is true. I think both teams were asked and just answered the question.

I don’t disagree with most of what you say about Barrett, but I believe a little experience and coaching will go a long way with his understanding of passing angles, how NBA defenses operate and his own vision. I could be wrong, but I have seen flashes of him doing very well as a primary ball handler (as well as flashes of him playing out of control).

Where we may disagree is with Barrett’s potential as a shooter. His mechanics of the shot itself seems to be fine, but he needs some healthy time in the gym refining his feet. His shot can be on target with good arc, but bad footwork will cause his shot to just miss. I think his shooting issues are easily correctable, because when he uses proper technique, he drains it. I am more concerned with his ultra heavy usage of his left hand and difficulty penetrating to his right. He would still be my choice at #3.

I only asked if it was officially said by Memphis because some people are arguing about Memphis saying they are going to draft Ja to raise the cost of trades, but the Pels have also been said to take Zion so the same logic would mean they are trying to drive up Zion's price.

I don't think either is true. I think both teams were asked and just answered the question.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/stor...tt-future-star

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    I don’t disagree with most of what you say about Barrett, but I believe a little experience and coaching will go a long way with his understanding of passing angles, how NBA defenses operate and his own vision. I could be wrong, but I have seen flashes of him doing very well as a primary ball handler (as well as flashes of him playing out of control).

Where we may disagree is with Barrett’s potential as a shooter. His mechanics of the shot itself seems to be fine, but he needs some healthy time in the gym refining his feet. His shot can be on target with good arc, but bad footwork will cause his shot to just miss. I think his shooting issues are easily correctable, because when he uses proper technique, he drains it. I am more concerned with his ultra heavy usage of his left hand and difficulty penetrating to his right. He would still be my choice at #3.
    Will it improve? Very possibly. I wouldn't bet on it, but it could. Vision and passing are some of the hardest things to teach. There are players in the league who have been under good coaches and have played for a decade or more who have just never got it. Some people just don't get it. It's like hustle: it's very rare that someone just starts hustling, 5 or 6 years into the league. It does happen occasionally, but more often than not you either care or you don't and there's very little most coaches can do about it.

As for his shot, it's a risky thing for me. On one hand, I think you're right: a lot of his mechanics look pretty solid. On the other hand, his footwork really is very poor, which you do point out. On top of that footwork issue, he also has a tendency to really dip the ball hard on the catch which isn't great. He's improved that a little, but it's really just gone from being appalling to plain awful, which is technically better but not in any meaningful way. His touch in the paint isn't encouraging here either. Lots of missed airball floaters and runners for a guy who is supposed to be such a dominant scorer, and a part of that is because his poor footwork ends up biting him inside too. Admittedly, part of that will come from Duke's notoriously terrible spacing this year, but Zion was playing in the same space and he showed all the finesse needed to give you buckets of confidence*.

I think a big part of the reason that RJ was less impressive at college than people expected this year was that he's simply not used to being on the court with other people who are just as big, just as strong, and just as smart as he is, and in some cases more so. He was the number one guy to start the year and while he's still universally projected in the top 5, his stock took a hit because his game was legitimately exposed when he doesn't have extreme physical advantages over everyone else, and there's obviously a worry with how that transfers to the NBA where he's getting into an even bigger pool with even bigger sharks. I've got RJ's best case scenario being a Demar Derozan type guy, and his floor as being an Evan Turner level bust.

*I admit it is very unfair trying to compare any other college prospect this year to Zion. It's just not fair.

What's the article say? It's an ESPN + one so I can't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post

I think my board is looking like this excluding Morant.

1. Zion
    2. RJ
    3. Hunter
    4. Culver

Honestly... I like Hunter more than RJ and Culver. RJ more than Culver. Honestly, don't know what to expect him to develop out as... Signs point to a volume scorer. Which isn't bad, but not my ideal preference.

What's the article say? It's an ESPN + one so I can't read it.
    Fairly lengthy article. Here are a few quotes-

Givony: There are few sure things in any draft. After I reported a couple of weeks ago from the combine that the Memphis Grizzlies informed interested parties that they intend to select Murray State's Ja Morant at No. 2, Memphis has been sending out some mixed messages. The Grizzlies' ownership group is still telling people around the league that the team is locked in on Morant, but the front office has requested to have Barrett in for a private workout -- something he has declined but might revisit over the next three weeks, sources told ESPN.
    Schmitz: While I won't go so far as to say Barrett should be in the conversation for No. 2 overall, anyone who doesn't see him as the third-best prospect is wildly overthinking this.

Barrett is (and has always been) at his best attacking the rim, putting pressure on the defense and using his 6-foot-7, 210-pound frame to get into the paint and finish with strong body control. But because of Duke's inability to surround him with shooting -- 327th in the NCAA in 3-point percentage, according to Kenpom.com data -- he looked clunky trying to bully-ball his way to the cup.

Now the mixed signals thing I DEFINITELY can see as Memphis trying to drive up a price. Or at least them having second thoughts.

But I wonder how much of this is coming from Memphis? For example, I could see Barrett's people leaking that Memphis wanted to bring him in because there has been rumors that Barrett might slip past of 3rd. But if you start leaking that Memphis is trying to get you at 2nd, it will make NYK second guess not going with Barrett at 3rd.

There's a whole lot of hands in the cookie jar right now.

Thread Information