Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Davis and Griffin meeting today (this time per Shams)

And there's the Klutch version ����
    Basketball.

The Pelicans gain nothing from announcing that AD is out and will be traded. In fact, they lose a lot. There actually is a small bit in each and every one of us afraid that we won't trade AD but instead try to sell him on the future....only to have him bolt in FA for no compensation. It's small, but you have that worry. Well the teams that want AD have that same small worry. That is leverage. We have more leverage from teams competing to get him, but it's still some leverage. And it is also some small leverage against AD and Paul to keep them playing nice.

Making any announcements on how these talks go is a disadvantage for the Pels. Unless AD opts in. But we know that isn't happening. I hope the Pels keep their cards close to their vest until it's time for the trade.

I'm more worried that we offer AD the supermax and he signs it than him walking for nothing.

I "know" AD is the best player in any AD trade but I can't get over the feeling that mentally he will never have what it takes to get over the hump.

There's no reason this year with this team we should have missed the playoffs. Elfrid Payton was not the difference in 20+ wins on this team. AD not having the killer mentality is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm more worried that we offer AD the supermax and he signs it than him walking for nothing.

I "know" AD is the best player in any AD trade but I can't get over the feeling that mentally he will never have what it takes to get over the hump.

There's no reason this year with this team we should have missed the playoffs. Elfrid Payton was not the difference in 20+ wins on this team. AD not having the killer mentality is the problem.
    Honestly, I don't even have that problem. As much as I would probably prefer it if we dealt him and got a big return, I would MUCH rather have him sign the supermax than walk. I'm perfectly happy, on paper, even with AD being a less assertive personality, to have him back. My issue is this:

We have good reason to suspect that AD wanting out is nothing to do with winning or losing. It is, it appears, everything to do with market size, endorsements, bright lights, etc.

He doesn't seem to have realised that you can get all of that stuff in New Orleans: it just requires you having a personality. If he stays, and we draft Zion, then he will have to deal with the fact that he will be the second guy on this roster in the eyes of the media, because Zion will walk in on day 1 with a bigger brand than AD has built in 7 years. I'm not looking forward to having to deal with the possible tantrum AD has if he stays and realises that he's been demoted from franchise player to second-star behind a rookie, and the team focuses its branding on the more marketable star in Zion.

"continue a dialogue moving forward" = Finding a trade partner that makes all happy

Not that it matters...I would trade AD to the highest bidder. Don't care where AD prefers to go.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    What trade do y’all like the best???

TRADE 1: Send him to the KNICKS. Get RJ, Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson, Dennis Smith Jr and 2 future 1st rounders.

TRADE 2: AD to LAKERS. PELS Get Brandon Ingram, Kuzma, the 4th and 6th picks. SUNS get Ball.

TRADE 3: AD to CELTICS. PELS get Tatum, Smart, Brown and the 20th and 22nd picks.

I think Boston will get AD. They have the best overall assets. I think Ingram’s blood clot issue could hurt the LAKERS chances. Lonzo drama hurts them as well.

The LAKERS will probably be extremely aggressive and Boston will have to give the PELS an over the top offer to get AD. This is the outcome I expect Griffin to pull off.

PELS get: Tatum, Smart, Brown, pick 14, 20, 22.

Draft Zion. Use all 5 remaining draft picks to select best players available.

Resign Randle and Elfrid. Suddenly you have a team with serious potential.

Starting lineup:
    PG Smart
    SG Jrue
    SF Tatum
    PF Zion
    C Randle

Depth:
    PG Elfrid,
    SG/SF Jaylen Brown, SG frank Jackson,
    SF Kenrich Williams, SF Stanley Johnson
    PF Christian Wood, Diallo
    C Okafor

Send rookies to G league to develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

TRADE 1: Send him to the KNICKS. Get RJ, Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson, Dennis Smith Jr and 2 future 1st rounders.

TRADE 2: AD to LAKERS. PELS Get Brandon Ingram, Kuzma, the 4th and 6th picks. SUNS get Ball.

TRADE 3: AD to CELTICS. PELS get Tatum, Smart, Brown and the 20th and 22nd picks.

I think Boston will get AD. They have the best overall assets. I think Ingram’s blood clot issue could hurt the LAKERS chances. Lonzo drama hurts them as well.

The LAKERS will probably be extremely aggressive and Boston will have to give the PELS an over the top offer to get AD. This is the outcome I expect Griffin to pull off.

Starting lineup:
    PG Smart
    SG Jrue
    SF Tatum
    PF Zion
    C Randle

Depth:
    PG Elfrid,
    C Okafor

We would push for the Memphis pick and let them keep one of the 1st rounders this year I would think. We will not be making 4 1st round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    We would push for the Memphis pick and let them keep one of the 1st rounders this year I would think. We will not be making 4 1st round picks.
    Agreed. I would make it known from the start. First team who figures out how to get the #2 pick from Memphis, gets AD.

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    Agreed. I would make it known from the start. First team who figures out how to get the #2 pick from Memphis, gets AD.
    He meant the 2021 Memphis pick that Boston already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He meant the 2021 Memphis pick that Boston already have.
    Thanks for the clarification.

The Franchise
    I think it ends up AD to Boston for Tatum, Brown, Williams, 14, 20, and Memphis pick, or AD and Moore for Tatum, Hayward, 14, 20 and Memphis pick.

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    Only team really capable of that would be the Knicks and their third pick and I would think we'd have to put more skin in the game. Maybe the Lakers, but then we'd get less players if any other than Ja. Boston seems logically the best, but would Boston mortgage the future hoping AD will sign an extension? Memphis 2020 pick would be nice. Who knows. Maybe we trade with someone else for future unprotected draft picks? Every GM worth a grain of salt will be calling Griff. But what do I know.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I think it ends up AD to Boston for Tatum, Brown, Williams, 14, 20, and Memphis pick, or AD and Moore for Tatum, Hayward, 14, 20 and Memphis pick.
    Like the first deal. Second deal is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Why would you want MAX contract Hayward. Getting paid more per year than AD.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

Starting lineup:
    PG Smart
    SG Jrue
    SF Tatum
    PF Zion
    C Randle

Depth:
    PG Elfrid,
    C Okafor

I like the Knicks trade. Robinson and Zion could be a great duo. RJ got superstar potential.

I rather gamble on youth. Tatum is great, but Knicks got my attention.

I prefer the Boston package but I just think the Celts lose Kyrie and back out of the running.

IF the Lakers trade Ball for the 6th, it's a toss up for me. If they cant, I'd go with the Knicks.

I hear you.

I feel like Zion + Jrue would be the ignition he needs, though. Zion is too young to be his the Alpha he needs, Jrue is too mild mannered......but I feel like the combination would do it. Jrue is the captain but Zion has that infectious hussle that you pace after. And IF AD resigns, it means LeBron is out of his head.

I say that but also admit I am an eternal optimist and I also really doubt AD stays. I haven't even looked into what we can do if he does. Resign Payton and then out of money. Roll it out with AD, Zion, and Okafor rotating as bigs....Payton, Jrue, and Frank for guard.....and Kenrich and Miller at SF? Not bad. Pretty good. Not title contending until Zion hits his stride.

And again, I'll say, I love Elfrid. I think he is the PG we need with Kemba being the only person I'd be interested over him. If anyone has a problem with Elfrid you have a problem with me and I suggest you let that one marinate.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 05-30-2019 at 12:12 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Good point. I think we need the 14thpick and Memphis pick 2020. Gotta be able to draft talent to grow with Zion.

This is pretty much my exact thinking on the #2 pick as well. I don't think it's even worth considering. Obviously if a team can do that and offer it, then great, but it shouldn't be nearly so prominent in trade discussions. There's like a 2% chance of it happening, and yet it gets brought up like it's table stakes or something.

This is pretty much my exact thinking on the #2 pick as well. I don't think it's even worth considering. Obviously if a team can do that and offer it, then great, but it shouldn't be nearly so prominent in trade discussions. There's like a 2% chance of it happening, and yet it gets brought up like it's table stakes or something.
    I think it’s unlikely but it could easily happen if we tell the Knicks to get the second pick and they trade them the three pick and some players and other picks to get the two pick it’s very possible then we trade AD for Robinson Knox and the number two pick . Knicks have enough draft compensation and players to move up one slot .

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    I think it’s unlikely but it could easily happen if we tell the Knicks to get the second pick and they trade them the three pick and some players and other picks to get the two pick it’s very possible then we trade AD for Robinson Knox and the number two pick . Knicks have enough draft compensation and players to move up one slot .

No universe is Memphis trading down without also taking back Robinson for themselves. That's exactly the point of the tweet: acquiring the #2 pick would cost all of the good assets you'd want in the AD trade in the first place

AD does not have IT he's not the guy you want witrh the ball at the end of the game , he's not clutch , he's KLUTCH , He will NEED Alpha players aroung him to win a ring , Don;t want him He'll have monster stats and highlights and will put you in position to win a lot but won't be the guy to WIN it

But is Zion the IT alpha who can win it?

I totally agree, if we were picking like 8th, there's no point in keeping AD. We won't have the alpha. Our team will never be title contenders and the assets we get for him would help us rebuild. But that is the old narrative. We have to throw it out the window.

The new question is: Can a combination of Jrue and Zion become the alphas that let AD be the beta?

Jrue with his leadership and demeanor. Zion with his play.

Can Zion be the guy that takes the game over in the clutch? Because AD and Jrue are totally capable of being the secondaries who benefit once teams start cheating over to double that alpha.

Can Zion be the fire that ignites AD? The infectious energy that pushes the team?

Can AD let a rookie and a teammate who hasn't previously taken over take over?

And I really am asking because I don't watch any college basketball. All I've seen of Zion are the highlight reels. But the psychology checks out. That part I have down.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 05-30-2019 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    But is Zion the IT alpha who can win it?

I totally agree, if we were picking like 8th, there's no point in keeping AD. Our team will never be title contenders and the assets we get for him would help us rebuild. But that is the old narrative. We have to throw it out the window.

The new question is: Can a combination of Jrue and Zion become the alphas that let AD be the beta?

Jrue with his leadership and demeanor. Zion with his play.

Can Zion be the guy that takes the game over in the clutch? Because AD and Jrue are totally capable of being the secondaries who benefit once teams start cheating over to double that alpha.

Can Zion be the fire that ignites AD? The infectious energy that pushes the team?

And I really am asking because I don't watch any college basketball. All I've seen of Zion are the highlight reels. But the psychology checks out. That part I have down.
    Watch even one full game from Zion, there are a bunch on youtube. One thing that comes through in every game is that Zion hates losing. He seems super nice off the court, very friendly, very polite, but on the court he legitimately looks like he wants everyone on the other team dead. Whenever he gets beaten on a play, or he doesn't get the block, or he misses a shot, he takes it personally. He plays like a man possessed on both ends of the floor. On court mentality reminds me a little of Kevin Garnett, actually. Not in terms of the playstyle or anything, but that absolute tenacity and ferocity.

You never can tell: maybe the bright lights of the NBA will push him back a little and he'll lose his edge. But based off his college game, I'm as close to certain as I can be that he's going to be a complete dog on the NBA level. He's got rockets in his back, and the mentality to back it up. Dude's intense.

And he's got all the skill to back it up.

No universe is Memphis trading down without also taking back Robinson for themselves. That's exactly the point of the tweet: acquiring the #2 pick would cost all of the good assets you'd want in the AD trade in the first place
    So your telling me that a team with as many holes as Memphis has got that they wouldn’t drop back one pick get the third pick some players and future picks I’m not so sure about that . We’re not talking about Zion or Lebron James they are giving up .

Thread Information