Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Davis and Griffin meeting today (this time per Shams)

Let’s read some of his responses to his MM tweet.

Last edited by 13 - 3; 05-29-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Fletch is terrible

Boom, and there it is. Absolutely NOTHING new.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Unfortunately, this is what everyone expected would be the result of the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Unfortunately, this is what everyone expected would be the result of the meeting.
    Yeah, it's as unsurprising as it is unsatisfying.

Predictable. My timetable is a week before the draft (mid-June) is when I expect things to really get interesting.

I've seen some people saying that this is actually a great move by Griffin. Essentially making the argument that he's turned the situation from ''AD is leaving, give me your offers'' into ''AD may be staying, so if you want him you really need to cough up everything''. While I see that point of view, I'm not sure.

It could be correct, and obviously I have no insider information on this, but it just seems self-defeating for Griffin to have spent his first presser stressing the ''all in, or all out'' mentality only to turn it into ''all in or all out, unless you need like 3 more weeks and three more meetings, in which case take as long as you like: no need for any firm answers'' as soon as contact is made with AD. Strikes me as kind awkward.

The draft is 3 weeks from tomorrow. I have to think Griffin has to have been given some indication as to whether he needs to enter into trade discussions or not. I would guess some decision needs to be made within the next week or so.

I've seen some people saying that this is actually a great move by Griffin. Essentially making the argument that he's turned the situation from ''AD is leaving, give me your offers'' into ''AD may be staying, so if you want him you really need to cough up everything''. While I see that point of view, I'm not sure.

It could be correct, and obviously I have no insider information on this, but it just seems self-defeating for Griffin to have spent his first presser stressing the ''all in, or all out'' mentality only to turn it into ''all in or all out, unless you need like 3 more weeks and three more meetings, in which case take as long as you like: no need for any firm answers'' as soon as contact is made with AD. Strikes me as kind awkward.
    I don’t think it’s unreasonable. All in or all out doesn’t mean give me your answer this second. It means that when the decision is made, its signing a contract and being a part of it, not dipping a toe in and seeing how things go.

There’s clearly going to have to be a deadline on this decision. But I don’t think you walk into meeting #1, drop a contract on the table and say “all in or all out”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saints#34 View Post
    I don’t think it’s unreasonable. All in or all out doesn’t mean give me your answer this second. It means that when the decision is made, its signing a contract and being a part of it, not dipping a toe in and seeing how things go.

There’s clearly going to have to be a deadline on this decision. But I don’t think you walk into meeting #1, drop a contract on the table and say “all in or all out”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're right, it's just the vibe I'm getting.

That said, I will continue pushing back against the idea that asking him for a decision would be a case of saying 'give me your answer this second'. AD didn't make this trade request yesterday. It happened in February, close to 4 months ago, and the draft lottery was basically 2 weeks ago as well. He's had a LONG time to think about this, and he's seen all of the front office changes just as we've seen them. Asking him for a decision is not burdening him with an unreasonable request, it's asking him for a confirmation of a choice he made nearly 4 months ago and has been thinking about since.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar

Yawn. Just get rid of him. Don't need drama around Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Yawn. Just get rid of him. Don't need drama around Zion.
    If I'm Griffin, he until the end of the week: follow up meeting on Monday. If he signs the supermax, he stays. Anything other than that, even if he wants to just start next year and see how it goes, he gets moved ASAP.

You wait til the week before the draft to put him out there. The deals get sweeter the closer you get to the draft. Hell draft night just might be the announcement.

Can someone explain to me why Griffin would bother convincing AD to stay this last year of his contract to walk away and get nothing in return? Why would you bother convincing him to stay if he doesn't sign here long term?

Wouldn't the smarter play be trade AD and get what you can to set up Zion for the future?

Ideally Zion comes in and tells AD “**********, get in the back seat, I’m driving.” And AD sheepishly gets in.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fuel52 View Post
    Can someone explain to me why Griffin would bother convincing AD to stay this last year of his contract to walk away and get nothing in return? Why would you bother convincing him to stay if he doesn't sign here long term?

Wouldn't the smarter play be trade AD and get what you can to set up Zion for the future?
    AD is an elite player. You do all you can to keep him. That said, nothing's gonna change his mind. He'd rather play for a dumpster fire in a big market than a successful team in a small one.

Quote Originally Posted by fuel52 View Post

He's trying to convince him to sign the supermax extension he can sign this summer. If Davis refuses, then he'll be traded. I am as close to certain as I can be that AD will not be on the roster for game 1 unless he has signed the supermax.

You know whats harder than getting one Superstar? Getting two. You know what you need to win in this league? Multiple Superstars.

You do anything and everything possible to keep AD. Unless he is throwing games, he is always going to be worth more than anything we will get back in a trade.

Other GM’s(Daryl Morey)getting nervous Griff. already has the deal he likes and it is really good?
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 05-29-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    He's trying to convince him to sign the supermax extension he can sign this summer. If Davis refuses, then he'll be traded. I am as close to certain as I can be that AD will not be on the roster for game 1 unless he has signed the supermax.
    Yeah, there is no"meet in the middle" here. He's either signing the extension or he's out the door pronto.

He is doing his due diligence and not tanking his trade asset.

AD won't be on the market til the week of the draft. AD before the draft feels like his value at it's highest.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Ideally Zion comes in and tells AD “**********, get in the back seat, I’m driving.” And AD sheepishly gets in.
    AD is beta enough it might just work.

Thread Information